The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,089
    edited June 2019
    dignin said:
    dignin said:
    How did Biden do last night?
    He was good I thought. And fired up. With a touch of feeling old at Times. 
    I thought he started strong then fell fast. Easily thrown from his game and looked his age. Doesn't bode well for him.
    I think he had some moments when he was Stern, took the Stage and could point to difference he has actually made in his career. 

And he felt very awake and ready for the fight. Was surprised. 
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Last night was a shit show.  Biased, rigged, game show, yelling, cheering, little focus on the most important issue, hugely disappointing and ANYTHING BUT inspiring. 

Flush twice.
    I can't even watch it Brian.  I attempted to watch 5 minutes on Wed but it's just people yelling, raising their hands, and others trying to have their "moment".  It's worthless information to me.  I hope no one really adjusts any vote based on that.  I don't care who you vote for, just don't make a decision off of these abominations.  Fortunately I was flying last night so I didn't even have the option to watch.  To me, a debate is 2 to 3 people max.  I want to hear several minutes on a topic.  I really enjoy the presidential debates.  Always have.  Not this crap.  Wake me when we start voting and people have exited.    
    There was plenty to learn from these debates. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Last night was a shit show.  Biased, rigged, game show, yelling, cheering, little focus on the most important issue, hugely disappointing and ANYTHING BUT inspiring. 

Flush twice.
    I can't even watch it Brian.  I attempted to watch 5 minutes on Wed but it's just people yelling, raising their hands, and others trying to have their "moment".  It's worthless information to me.  I hope no one really adjusts any vote based on that.  I don't care who you vote for, just don't make a decision off of these abominations.  Fortunately I was flying last night so I didn't even have the option to watch.  To me, a debate is 2 to 3 people max.  I want to hear several minutes on a topic.  I really enjoy the presidential debates.  Always have.  Not this crap.  Wake me when we start voting and people have exited.    
    M, I thought maybe it was just me because I'm feeling a bit cynical about things lately (sorry, folks!).  But coming from you, knowing you follow things things closely and understand them well, what you said here leads me to feel like maybe I'm not so "out to lunch".   I hope things get  better when the field narrows and most of all, I just want someone better than Trump in the White House!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    I'm sure there were some nuggets of information, but nothing for me, compared to what else I could be doing.  The opportunity costs weigh heavily against investing my time into a 20 person debate 7 months from the first vote.  I feel pretty good that I'll be an informed voter in Q1 when the primary roles through VA.  
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,655
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Agreed. The sooner they whittle it down to six, the better. That said, I’d rather see the six, one on one with Charlie Rose, back to back, for 20 minutes each, three same topics. Whittle it to 3 and do it again but for an hour each, same questions. Get to the nominee, 5 presidential debates of 2 hours plus another 90 minute one on one with same questions, no audience. I remember watching VP Cheney doing this and as much as I disagreed, he made informative, rational arguments and it showed the depth of his soulless heart. I want details on how shit is going to work and be accomplished, not stories of growing up or repetitive pronouncements of what is wrong. We know that, tell us how you’ll fix it. Team Trump Treason would be so far out of his element and it would be so obvious. Refuses to participate? If it’s a debate, put an empty chair or podium on stage and allow the other candidate all the time and questions. Refuse the one on one, offer the other candidate another opportunity to explain details.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Agreed. The sooner they whittle it down to six, the better. That said, I’d rather see the six, one on one with Charlie Rose, back to back, for 20 minutes each, three same topics. Whittle it to 3 and do it again but for an hour each, same questions. Get to the nominee, 5 presidential debates of 2 hours plus another 90 minute one on one with same questions, no audience. I remember watching VP Cheney doing this and as much as I disagreed, he made informative, rational arguments and it showed the depth of his soulless heart. I want details on how shit is going to work and be accomplished, not stories of growing up or repetitive pronouncements of what is wrong. We know that, tell us how you’ll fix it. Team Trump Treason would be so far out of his element and it would be so obvious. Refuses to participate? If it’s a debate, put an empty chair or podium on stage and allow the other candidate all the time and questions. Refuse the one on one, offer the other candidate another opportunity to explain details.
    It's funny I was thinking the same thing last night.  Having Rose or even Chris Wallace spend 30 minutes one on one would be so much more informative than this format.  I'd love to an interview where they are really challenged with the counter arguments to their proposals, and "how can you get that done in Washington" type questions.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,911
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    I'm sure there were some nuggets of information, but nothing for me, compared to what else I could be doing.  The opportunity costs weigh heavily against investing my time into a 20 person debate 7 months from the first vote.  I feel pretty good that I'll be an informed voter in Q1 when the primary roles through VA.  
    New Jersey is one of the last states to vote in the primaries (by the time is gets here it is usually over) so I could really care less about these debates. (Plus IMO Rachel Maddow is unwatchable.)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Fair enough, I understand the time argument, but they do have to whittle the candidates down somehow so they can have better debates in the future. And all things considered I thought they went well, I thought it would be a complete disaster.

But that being said, they should narrow the field now. Could easily chop half the candidates after these last two nights.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Charlie Rose? Didnt Charlie Rose like sexuellt harass his collegues and got kicked out...

... Charlie rose
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Fair enough, I understand the time argument, but they do have to whittle the candidates down somehow so they can have better debates in the future. And all things considered I thought they went well, I thought it would be a complete disaster.

But that being said, they should narrow the field now. Could easily chop half the candidates after these last two nights.
    The DNC is so paranoid about the 'favoritism' argument that they put everyone on stage.  I guess the GOP did the same.  I don't have a better answer than what they did, but it's just too frustrating to me.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Great ideas.

But I still think there is room for debates involving the candidates together. If it's just one on one you run the risk of people only tuning into their preferred candidate and no ability to learn or change their mind hearing a different argument or perspective.

Besides, Team Trump would just schedule a dueling "interview" with his propaganda arm Fox News.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.

The DNC is so paranoid about the 'favoritism' argument that they put everyone on stage.  I guess the GOP did the same.  I don't have a better answer than what they did, but it's just too frustrating to me.  
    I believe the next cut comes as a result of fund raising based on FEC filings but there may be other criteria? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.

Thank the Bernie Bro's for that. But I think it's fine because it's still so early.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    New Jersey is one of the last states to vote in the primaries (by the time is gets here it is usually over) so I could really care less about these debates. (Plus IMO Rachel Maddow is unwatchable.)
    Whos most unwatchable - Rachel or Sean hannity?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Great ideas.

But I still think there is room for debates involving the candidates together. If it's just one on one you run the risk of people only tuning into their preferred candidate and no ability to learn or change their mind hearing a different argument or perspective.

Besides, Team Trump would just schedule a dueling "interview" with his propaganda arm Fox News.
    I’m not advocating the elimination of group debate, just whittle to six, then three and do the one on ones. Two nights of 10-12 was enough. We need substance, from both parties.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,608
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    RYME said:
    benjs said:
    Ignore makes this so much easier

I took this screen grab to make a simple point.
    I seriously don't get what your simple point is.  Other people here obviously got it but I don't get what you're suggesting with this screenshot of what I said.
    Every time Bernie Sanders has a microphone in his face the first words out of his mouth are "Donald Trump is a racist." Ok.  Then I was reading comments from earlier in this thread wear Brianlux said he and his wife consider trump voters cultish.
    These accusations and stereotyping is why I said what I said.  It's getting to be so old and inaccurate.
    Because I highly disagree with both ridiculous claims.
    I'm not racist and I don't belong to any cults.
    And then the pictures of Hitler I don't get that either.
    Unless of course you are comparing a trump voter to Nazi Germany??  Really??
    None of those things is what he's saying, is my bet.  It has nothing to do with your post whatsoever.  Think of the inverse...
    Either way (and I know it was what you're saying mrussel), it wasn't very nice, and is really unfair, considering time differences.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.

I believe the next cut comes as a result of fund raising based on FEC filings but there may be other criteria? 
    It's for the September debate - I believe they need 130k donors with 400 unique donors from each state. Then they need to meet a polling threshold which I think is 2 or 4%. I think it's 2%.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.

Why not give people a chance to break out, Outside of whoever got to be intervieed by The View and has had the chance to be s media darling  etc?

its a different format. But all this ”its unwatchable” feels very fabricerad/bad wagony. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Both get my vote. 
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.

Thank the Bernie Bro's for that. But I think it's fine because it's still so early.
    They are owed so much thanks.  We can add this to the list.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RYME said:
    benjs said:

I seriously don't get what your simple point is.  Other people here obviously got it but I don't get what you're suggesting with this screenshot of what I said.
    Every time Bernie Sanders has a microphone in his face the first words out of his mouth are "Donald Trump is a racist." Ok.  Then I was reading comments from earlier in this thread wear Brianlux said he and his wife consider trump voters cultish.
    These accusations and stereotyping is why I said what I said.  It's getting to be so old and inaccurate.
    None of those things is what he's saying, is my bet.  It has nothing to do with your post whatsoever.  Think of the inverse...
    Either way (and I know it was what you're saying mrussel), it wasn't very nice, and is really unfair, considering time differences.
    I'm not sure that time differences drive spamming behavior.  I have my own feelings though.  It's all good.  I'll always read what you post.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Both get my vote. 
    I don't mind Rachel at all.  She might try to connect some dots that are tenuous, but her research is generally good.  My criticism is how the show plays out the punchline to maximize commercials.  But I get why.  Hannity is just a total shill.  I don't think he has a lick of integrity.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    Both get my vote. 
    I don't mind Rachel at all.  She might try to connect some dots that are tenuous, but her research is generally good.  My criticism is how the show plays out the punchline to maximize commercials.  But I get why.  Hannity is just a total shill.  I don't think he has a lick of integrity.  
    Maddow reminds me of joe buck, knowledgeable  but I just can’t stand their voice.  Hannity is a complete piece of dog shit.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RYME said:
    benjs said:

I'm not sure that time differences drive spamming behavior.  I have my own feelings though.  It's all good.  I'll always read what you post.  
    haha, I will always read what you post too. There is no way I'd be putting you on ignore.
    My point was just that I think S_C is online while nobody else is yet, and he went through the thread and replied to a bunch of posts, while no other posts could get between them... or he commented while watching the debate, while nobody else was online. Either way, I don't think he was spamming.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    RYME said:
    benjs said:

Ryme, my apologies. This was absolutely nothing to do with your post and only the stream of consciousness rapid fire posts from SC. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    It's better to ignore than get trapped in a pointless argument...then poof...someone is banned...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:

Busing was a failed policy.  I find it interesting that all of these people who weren't subject to it are extolling it.  There's a reason it's been dead for 35 plus years.  I was a bit disappointed by Harris's comment on it, as I found it opportunistic.  I also didn't understand if she was saying that she was bused and that it was a good thing, or what.  The reality is that large majorities of blacks and whites were against the policy at the time.  When it's your kids on the bus for 3 hours a day, it makes a difference.  I pointed out before that all research showed that it didn't change test scores for AA's and worse, it created the 'white flight' epidemic that pulled needed tax dollars out of the cities, as people moved to the suburbs.  
    Full disclosure, my sister was bused in Cleveland city schools, from the west side to the east side.  It's what led my family into the suburbs.  The story is not unique.  My parents were very much against the policy.  It wasn't that they were racist, they just didn't want her on the bus 3 hours a day.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

One more thing PJ, just because I think this issue is a very raw one, stemming back from Civil Rights era.  And I think that 'progressives' are misusing this history and painting Biden as racist when in fact, he was representing the views of huge %'s of black and whites.  According to this NY Times/Gallup poll from 1973, 4% of whites and 9% of blacks favored busing as the way to desegregate schools.  Even George McGovern was against it, and there were few more liberal than him.  I knew the numbers were low, but I didn't even know that were this low.  

https://www.nytimes.com/1973/09/09/archives/gallup-finds-few-favor-busing-for-integration.html

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2019

Here’s the gif you were looking for @pjsoul
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
This discussion has been closed.