Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    mcgruff10 said:

She was grating with her failure to abide by the time limits. 

On the topic of the time-limits. I thought about two things regarding that. One was Mayor Pete just going  with a full on "talk until they cut my mic" approach (which I can understand why they go with, and most do) but I actually noticed it and felt it was rude. He just jabbered on while someone else had the word.

Then on the other side of that spectrum you had biden who just stopped talking mid sentence and was like "oh... I'm outta time". Which came off as very courteous, but like Joe - you could finish your sentence at least. And in the end he also asked "So, I got 30 seconds?" ort something. Seemed to really take the "rules" seriously. 

Didn't think about Harris going over her time (Which they all do, except for Biden, do) but she had a heck of a lot of... *googling the word* "poise". Or authority I guess, everytime she started talking.

And Gillibrand when she had the time to go in, she came off as very honest. Like in the debate about women's rights concerning health and how she and her female colleagues has had to fight for them with rooms full of men who have disregarded them. Strong stuff. She's good at monologuing. Comes off as 20% more honest doing it than Kamala "let me reach my rehearsed punchline" Harris.
    It took me half a year of Toastmasters to get to the point where I knew how to formulate and deliver an evidenced point within a fixed amount of time. If I can do it, they can too.

Also, love the nicknames, you should apply for the Trump campaign to help. He’s a big fan of foreign assistance for campaigns.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,804
    rgambs said:
    KN219077 said:
    Who cares about these schmoes, Steve Bullock is the best democratic candidate to take on Trump. Currently it seems the party is scratching to find someone that can compete. Bullock may not appeal to the far left but he’s going to appeal a lot more to the bulk of voters that aren’t looking for another extreme candidate.
    Nobody knows who the fuck Steve Bullock is!
    Correct. Didn't he him and haw? Not announce, then announce, then take it back, then announce again? He seems fine, but people need to remember this is a vote for the base of one party, it's not the General. They're not competing or talking to non-Dems at the moment, or at least they shouldn't be.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,090
    edited June 2019
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:

She was grating with her failure to abide by the time limits. 

On the topic of the time-limits. I thought about two things regarding that. One was Mayor Pete just going  with a full on "talk until they cut my mic" approach (which I can understand why they go with, and most do) but I actually noticed it and felt it was rude. He just jabbered on while someone else had the word.

Then on the other side of that spectrum you had biden who just stopped talking mid sentence and was like "oh... I'm outta time". Which came off as very courteous, but like Joe - you could finish your sentence at least. And in the end he also asked "So, I got 30 seconds?" ort something. Seemed to really take the "rules" seriously. 

Didn't think about Harris going over her time (Which they all do, except for Biden, do) but she had a heck of a lot of... *googling the word* "poise". Or authority I guess, everytime she started talking.

And Gillibrand when she had the time to go in, she came off as very honest. Like in the debate about women's rights concerning health and how she and her female colleagues has had to fight for them with rooms full of men who have disregarded them. Strong stuff. She's good at monologuing. Comes off as 20% more honest doing it than Kamala "let me reach my rehearsed punchline" Harris.
    It took me half a year of Toastmasters to get to the point where I knew how to formulate and deliver an evidenced point within a fixed amount of time. If I can do it, they can too.

Also, love the nicknames, you should apply for the Trump campaign to help. He’s a big fan of foreign assistance for campaigns.
    This will not be read because you are ignoring me, but,

I also think they should be able to respect their given time  (like Biden, I guess maybe coming from another era where they were more respected(?)) - but I also understand why they shit on them to get their voices heard. Because there doesn't seem to be much punishment for doing so.

The time they go over in the debate should be take away from their closing statement or something.

Don't know why you needed to drop in a dig in the last sentence. But "ok".
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    Harris and Buttplug were the best options 

Sounds like a very, very, very, very homophobic thing to say.

Wish there was an ignore option on shitty homophobia on here.
    I think @F Me In The Brain uses it so much that his autocorrect just defaults to buttplug. 

Also, buttplugs are a bedroom staple of heterosexual relationships as well. Takes all kinds. The buttplug is not discriminatory, and you should not pigeonhole it. 
    The term "boy" is not discomanaroty in itself either. It takes a "term" and a "context"

And I think the term and the context is pretty damn clear in @F Me In The Brain post
    I initially thought that for @Spiritual_Chaos to read it in such a way was in itself homophobic, but now I think that @Spiritual_Chaos might just have an unconscious bias when reading posts by @F Me In The Brain -- and that goes the other way, too. Y'all don't particularly like each other, and that can lead to misreading each others' posts and finding fault and controversy where there is none. 

@F Me In The Brain says that he used the ignore function for @Spiritual_Chaos ; maybe it would be advisable for @Spiritual_Chaos to just ignore @F Me In The Brain for a while and see how it goes. Maybe a year or so from now one of you will see a post of the other's that's been quoted and chuckle to yourself or agree with a point he's making and see that y'all's beef is just silly. Or you'll both just remove unnecessary stress from your own lives, and go on your happy ways.

I wish you both the best.
    What would be my problem with that user? I don't know anything about the person or who he/she is? Except for I guess, him/her liking "Backspacer".
    For some fans, that's all it takes. :lol:

Seriously, though, that kind of proves my point. If you knew him, the thought would likely never cross your mind that he's homophobic. But you don't. All you know -- both of you -- is that you've been snippy with each other a few times on the internet, so that must mean you're online nemeses.

Anyway, this exchange has given me a good not-so-secret Santa idea for you both. :rofl:
    I'm going to send you a 2019 Yankees World Series pennant for Christmas.  
    It will join the yule log.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

I think @F Me In The Brain uses it so much that his autocorrect just defaults to buttplug. 

Also, buttplugs are a bedroom staple of heterosexual relationships as well. Takes all kinds. The buttplug is not discriminatory, and you should not pigeonhole it. 
    The term "boy" is not discomanaroty in itself either. It takes a "term" and a "context"

And I think the term and the context is pretty damn clear in @F Me In The Brain post
    I initially thought that for @Spiritual_Chaos to read it in such a way was in itself homophobic, but now I think that @Spiritual_Chaos might just have an unconscious bias when reading posts by @F Me In The Brain -- and that goes the other way, too. Y'all don't particularly like each other, and that can lead to misreading each others' posts and finding fault and controversy where there is none. 

@F Me In The Brain says that he used the ignore function for @Spiritual_Chaos ; maybe it would be advisable for @Spiritual_Chaos to just ignore @F Me In The Brain for a while and see how it goes. Maybe a year or so from now one of you will see a post of the other's that's been quoted and chuckle to yourself or agree with a point he's making and see that y'all's beef is just silly. Or you'll both just remove unnecessary stress from your own lives, and go on your happy ways.

What would be my problem with that user? I don't know anything about the person or who he/she is? Except for I guess, him/her liking "Backspacer".

Seriously, though, that kind of proves my point. If you knew him, the thought would likely never cross your mind that he's homophobic. But you don't. All you know -- both of you -- is that you've been snippy with each other a few times on the internet, so that must mean you're online nemeses.

Anyway, this exchange has given me a good not-so-secret Santa idea for you both. :rofl:
    Wow, that is one of the most hateful things I’ve read on here.  Let’s keep it civil folks, there’s no need for this Yankees World Series talk...
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,656
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

And fruit cake.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Wow, that is one of the most hateful things I’ve read on here.  Let’s keep it civil folks, there’s no need for this Yankees World Series talk...
    Please don’t report me to the mods!!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Spiritual_Chaos said:

I don't know anything about the person or who he/she is? Except for I guess, him/her liking "Backspacer".

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

And fruit cake.
    Wow, @Halifax2TheMax -- homophobic much...?

;)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,652
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

And fruit cake.

;)
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

Please don’t report me to the mods!!
    :)
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,128
    dankind said:
    Spiritual_Chaos said:

I don't know anything about the person or who he/she is? Except for I guess, him/her liking "Backspacer".

He looks like the guy in the top-middle 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

And fruit cake.
    That was homophobic.  Apologize pronto. Burning gays is never acceptable talk. 
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

And fruit cake.

;)
    Dammit!  Beat me to it. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

And fruit cake.
     Fruit cake is a holiday tradition like Yule log and Gloog. And who ever eats the fruit cake?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,636

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    YANG bitches.  YANG.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

And fruit cake.
     Fruit cake is a holiday tradition like Yule log and Gloog. And who ever eats the fruit cake?
    Negative.  I choose to interpret in the worst possible way.  It's how I get my daily dose of outrage.  
  • Options
    ikiT said:
    YANG bitches.  YANG.
    He's going to get clipped at some point. 

• Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    benjs said:
    Ignore makes this so much easier

I took this screen grab to make a simple point.
    I seriously don't get what your simple point is.  Other people here obviously got it but I don't get what you're suggesting with this screenshot of what I said.
    Every time Bernie Sanders has a microphone in his face the first words out of his mouth are "Donald Trump is a racist." Ok.  Then I was reading comments from earlier in this thread wear Brianlux said he and his wife consider trump voters cultish.
    These accusations and stereotyping is why I said what I said.  It's getting to be so old and inaccurate.
    Because I highly disagree with both ridiculous claims.
    I'm not racist and I don't belong to any cults.
    And then the pictures of Hitler I don't get that either.
    Unless of course you are comparing a trump voter to Nazi Germany??  Really??
  • Options
    RYME said:
    benjs said:

I seriously don't get what your simple point is.  Other people here obviously got it but I don't get what you're suggesting with this screenshot of what I said.
    Every time Bernie Sanders has a microphone in his face the first words out of his mouth are "Donald Trump is a racist." Ok.  Then I was reading comments from earlier in this thread wear Brianlux said he and his wife consider trump voters cultish.
    These accusations and stereotyping is why I said what I said.  It's getting to be so old and inaccurate.
    None of those things is what he's saying, is my bet.  It has nothing to do with your post whatsoever.  Think of the inverse...
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    RYME said:
    benjs said:

Benjs was referring to the ignore feature...at least that is what it appears...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,913
    RYME said:
    benjs said:

He's emphasizing the power of the ignore button.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    How did Biden do last night?
  • Options
    dignin said:
    He was good I thought. And fired up. With a touch of feeling old at Times. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,759
    Last night was a shit show.  Biased, rigged, game show, yelling, cheering, little focus on the most important issue, hugely disappointing and ANYTHING BUT inspiring. 

Flush twice.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

And fruit cake.
    Negative.  I choose to interpret in the worst possible way.  It's how I get my daily dose of outrage.  
    Whatever floats your boat, I suppose?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Last night was a shit show.  Biased, rigged, game show, yelling, cheering, little focus on the most important issue, hugely disappointing and ANYTHING BUT inspiring. 

Flush twice.
    I can't even watch it Brian.  I attempted to watch 5 minutes on Wed but it's just people yelling, raising their hands, and others trying to have their "moment".  It's worthless information to me.  I hope no one really adjusts any vote based on that.  I don't care who you vote for, just don't make a decision off of these abominations.  Fortunately I was flying last night so I didn't even have the option to watch.  To me, a debate is 2 to 3 people max.  I want to hear several minutes on a topic.  I really enjoy the presidential debates.  Always have.  Not this crap.  Wake me when we start voting and people have exited.    
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    dignin said:
    He was good I thought. And fired up. With a touch of feeling old at Times. 
    I thought he started strong then fell fast. Easily thrown from his game and looked his age. Doesn't bode well for him.
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Flush twice.
    I think you are to hang up on the climate change thing. Is there any democrat who doesnt want to bring the ”fight” back and get on the Paris agreemenr dag 1?

Also - I wish a G20 summit was all about the en environment - and How we save it NOW. Because of it being a global and western made problem. 

But a National debate need to bring up other things. Like e.g the US health care system being laughable. 
This discussion has been closed.