Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Democrats are good at circular firing squads. They are writing the bs talking points for Trump, he doesn't have to do anything with the purity bs. 

Biden wasn't saying anything bad and I think the whole thing is ridiculous. He talked about being able to work with the worst people, because that is the job. Everyone works with assholes and despicable people, some are our bosses. Being a responsible adult requires the ability to navigate these hard interactions. He wasn't endorsing them. And when he says that they called him son, not boy he is putting them down for saying boy to black people. 

Trump will win this election if people dissect everything Biden or whomever the front runner says. Biden allows the press corps into every fund raiser that he holds, every single one. This has never been done before. 

But some people are determined to lose this election by eating their own and creating drama where this is none.

And Biden is in no way a Democratic Trump. That is so repulsive that it should be obvious why it is just wrong. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,139
    edited June 2019
    FFS what this thread has become.

Mods can we please rename it:

"Here is Why Republicans Win"

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,667

I'm generally with you...
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mrussel1 said:

I like the new thread name. Not happy that it applies but it's a good name.

Now we can see who wants to be the biggest dumbass at the debates next week.

Democrats do not want to see the candidates bashing each other - it is not a good strategy. It is an especially bad general election tactic. We will remember those who attacked  others instead of promoting themselves. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    edited June 2019
    Nvm
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

Pathetic - fighting over maintaining a monopoly on the term 'concentration camp' when the world saw it used 50 years prior in another continent. If it walks like a concentration camp and it talks like a concentration camp and Jewish historians are saying it's a concentration camp - stop trying to generate pity - it's a fucking concentration camp. The perspective held by far too many Jews that there's a unique Jewish right to grief sets the entire community back and keeps it isolated, and it's fucking embarrassing.

You would think Jews of all people would know better than to pursue sanitizing an ethical atrocity happening today. Please forgive the rant, but these assholes are culpable for much of the fomentation of anti-Jewish sentiment while also majorly disrespecting the horrific realities some are in today. It's disgusting.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

Pathetic - fighting over maintaining a monopoly on the term 'concentration camp' when the world saw it used 50 years prior in another continent. If it walks like a concentration camp and it talks like a concentration camp and Jewish historians are saying it's a concentration camp - stop trying to generate pity - it's a fucking concentration camp. The perspective held by far too many Jews that there's a unique Jewish right to grief sets the entire community back and keeps it isolated, and it's fucking embarrassing.

You would think Jews of all people would know better than to pursue sanitizing an ethical atrocity happening today. Please forgive the rant, but these assholes are culpable for much of the fomentation of anti-Jewish sentiment while also majorly disrespecting the horrific realities some are in today. It's disgusting.
    You and I agree on most, but we diverge here.  IMO, the phrase concentration camp evokes a specific time, place and event, that's the purposeful extermination of Jews, Roma, Slavs, homosexuals and other undesirables.  Whether the Jews have embedded this phrase in our common culture or not, I have no idea.  I'm not a linguist expert.  But when you use that term to describe anything but extermination, I think it opens oneself up to criticism and the point a person (in this case AOC) may be trying to make is lost.  Unless her intent was to bomb throw. 

She could have used internment camp which, to me, is one of the greatest stains on America, and that would have been a better word to use, and not one that leads to the Jewish community and right wing being able to attack her for it.  

The point of my statement of 'hypocrisy' here, is that AOC has been calling on Biden to apologize for what he said, while at the same time she is refusing to apologize for her statement when she is no better in this case.  Either she intentionally threw out an overstatement or was sloppy in her language.  
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

You and I agree on most, but we diverge here.  IMO, the phrase concentration camp evokes a specific time, place and event, that's the purposeful extermination of Jews, Roma, Slavs, homosexuals and other undesirables.  Whether the Jews have embedded this phrase in our common culture or not, I have no idea.  I'm not a linguist expert.  But when you use that term to describe anything but extermination, I think it opens oneself up to criticism and the point a person (in this case AOC) may be trying to make is lost.  Unless her intent was to bomb throw. 

She could have used internment camp which, to me, is one of the greatest stains on America, and that would have been a better word to use, and not one that leads to the Jewish community and right wing being able to attack her for it.  

The point of my statement of 'hypocrisy' here, is that AOC has been calling on Biden to apologize for what he said, while at the same time she is refusing to apologize for her statement when she is no better in this case.  Either she intentionally threw out an overstatement or was sloppy in her language.  
    The term “concentration camp” predates the holocaust and is not specific to it. It refers to concentrating groups of undesirables, whether citizens or non citizens, generally by government policy, and was coined in the 19th century. It isn’t specific to extermination either; it can include forced labour camps. The fact that Nazi era use is the most well known example doesn’t mean they have a monopoly on the term or that it’s incorrect for anyone in the future to use it. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Nvm

Please dont.

The 24 dem candidates should be relentlessly attacking trump. Every day. All of then should be constantly Telling everyone why trump is a terrible president and what the democratic solutions are. Set the narrative. Overwhelm the press.

Instead we have these nonsensical Biden attacks from decades ago that will only weaken the party when it should be rallying everyone why the Republican agenda favors the select wealthy few and why we should vote against it, instead of absurdly making Biden look like Trump Lite.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

The term “concentration camp” predates the holocaust and is not specific to it. It refers to concentrating groups of undesirables, whether citizens or non citizens, generally by government policy, and was coined in the 19th century. It isn’t specific to extermination either; it can include forced labour camps. The fact that Nazi era use is the most well known example doesn’t mean they have a monopoly on the term or that it’s incorrect for anyone in the future to use it. 
    I understand that, but that's an academic argument, not a political one.  She was making a political statement.  If she meant it in the academic sense, then she should have been more careful.  That's a loaded term today.  
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

I dont watch South Park. Which episode is this from?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
     I called this prophecy many moons ago.  No way a 102 year old white dude is getting the democratic nomination.

Knives are out.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

I understand that, but that's an academic argument, not a political one.  She was making a political statement.  If she meant it in the academic sense, then she should have been more careful.  That's a loaded term today.  
    Why are you putting this all on AOC? She's certainly not the only one using the concentration camp phrase. Why is she the one "throwing bombs", particularly if the term is accurate?
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:

Look, at @mrussel1 reaching

He's reaching to the front. 
    Then he's reaching to the back
    Anything to find
    a shaky
    AOC attack 

Yeah, look at @mrussel1 reaching
    Look at @mrussel1 reaching

He's reaching to the left
    And always to the right
    But all it really does
    is shine
    a very bright light...

...on

@mrussel1's reaching
    Yeah, Look at @mrussel1 reaching 

*drum solo*

• Options
    edited June 2019
    So, I was playing the MAD board game yesterday (haven't played it since I was a kid). And it got me thinking about the debates next week.

I have a feeling Mayor Pete will come out as one of the clear winners. I think Biden and Bernie will fall. I have a feeling Bernie might even have three candidates above him in future polls after the debates. Queen E will do really good. And Kamala Harris and Mayor Pete.

This is my prediction of the top 5 at pollings after the debates:

1. Joe Biden (but with lower numbers than today)
    2. Elisabeth Warren
    3. Mayor Pete
    4. Bernie
    5. Kamala Harris (neck to neck or even being above Bernie)

And there will be talks on the cable news shows that Beto should end his campaign, but he won't because of pride.

My bet.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

Why are you putting this all on AOC? She's certainly not the only one using the concentration camp phrase. Why is she the one "throwing bombs", particularly if the term is accurate?
    I don't know if there's another high profile congress member that is doing it or not.  My point is that she is slamming Biden for not apologizing, while being tone deaf to her own remarks which have caused consternation in the Jewish community.  By contrast, Biden hasn't said a thing about her to my knowledge.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,904
    By definition I guess she is correct but if she trying to compare to nazi concentration camps then she is dead wrong. IMO It all comes down to her intent.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    The only reason for this constructed controversy about her use of words is to try to destroy an opinionated women by death a a 1000 cuts. 

And people in her are falling in line in the mob. 

Surprised. 
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    So, I was playing the MAD board game yesterday (haven't played it since I was a kid). And it got me thinking about the debates next week.

I have a feeling Mayor Pete will come out as one of the clear winners. I think Biden and Bernie will fall. I have a feeling Bernie might even have three candidates above him in future polls after the debates. Queen E will do really good. And Kamala Harris and Mayor Pete.

2. Elisabeth Warren
    3. Mayor Pete
    4. Bernie

And there will be talks on the cable news shows that Beto should end his campaign, but he won't because of pride.

My bet.

Did you see the footage of Pete at the protest in South Bend? Yikes

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Hi! said:

2. Elisabeth Warren
    3. Mayor Pete
    4. Bernie

My bet.

No? What have I missed? :O
  • Options
    Hi! said:

2. Elisabeth Warren
    3. Mayor Pete
    4. Bernie

My bet.

No? What have I missed? :O
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/06/21/politics/pete-buttigieg-officer-involved-shooting-march-protests/index.html

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    The only reason for this constructed controversy about her use of words is to try to destroy an opinionated women by death a a 1000 cuts. 

Surprised. 
    Did you hear the latest Rogan podcast with Charlamagne? There was an interesting 10 minute conversation about Elizabeth Warren, but no sooner did they stop talking about Warren when they veered off and talked about Ticketmaster, at which point Rogan gave a Pearl Jam shot out.. If you get a chance to check it out, it’s pretty good listen.

• Options

mrussel1 said:

njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Democrats do not want to see the candidates bashing each other - it is not a good strategy. It is an especially bad general election tactic. We will remember those who attacked  others instead of promoting themselves. 
    "INFIGHTING ONLY COUNTS FOR THE PARTY HOLDING THE WHITE HOUSE"

"SO FIGHT AWAY DEMOCRATS -- DON't WORRY ABOUT IT!"

https://youtu.be/upIExc4a27M
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,940
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hypocrisy...

mrussel, I can appreciate diverging on this one. It's certainly a loaded term, but it's factually accurate, and because of that I think it's justifiable. Ultimately, whether it was a productive embellishment or one that continues to draw backlash for her, is yet to be determined. 

My opinion on the Jewish response is still unchanged, as is AOC's right to use the term - but we'll see whether it was politically wise or not. My gut feel is that it might be large enough to be high-profile but accurate enough to not be seen as egregious, which I think would be an overall net positive for her.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited June 2019

mrussel1 said:

njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Not sure if you watched Maher last night ( or this morning) but Bill seemed a little pissed at the attacks on Biden and infighting.

All attacks on Biden will help get trump reelected. Dems do the smart thing. Attack trump and tell us why your plans are better for most Americans, not why toy think vice president Biden is a bad candidate.  

Geez follow the Reagan Rule. Its smart politics.

"Bill Maher told his panel Friday night he wishes Joe Biden would stop saying “stupid things” and to “pretend he was born in 2009,” but he’s concerned about the infighting going on over Biden’s comments about working with segregationist senators.

Liz Mair said this is partly becoming an issue because Cory Booker––who called on Biden to apologize––is not doing well in the polls.

Maher said it’s weird to be focusing on Biden’s remarks when there were Proud Boys outside Trump’s rally this week. “We’re trying to win an election here!” he exclaimed, saying liberals should be “keeping our eye on the ball.”

At one point Maher read Booker’s statement in which the senator said Biden’s words are dredging up pain for many Americans.

“Are they?” Maher asked. “Are they really dredging up pain for many Americans?”

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options

mrussel1 said:

njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Not sure if you watched Maher last night ( or this morning) but Bill seemed a little pissed at the attacks on Biden and infighting.

All attacks on Biden will help get trump reelected. Dems do the smart thing. Attack trump and tell us why your plans are better for most Americans, not why toy think vice president Biden is a bad candidate.  

"Bill Maher told his panel Friday night he wishes Joe Biden would stop saying “stupid things” and to “pretend he was born in 2009,” but he’s concerned about the infighting going on over Biden’s comments about working with segregationist senators.

Liz Mair said this is partly becoming an issue because Cory Booker––who called on Biden to apologize––is not doing well in the polls.

Maher said it’s weird to be focusing on Biden’s remarks when there were Proud Boys outside Trump’s rally this week. “We’re trying to win an election here!” he exclaimed, saying liberals should be “keeping our eye on the ball.”

At one point Maher read Booker’s statement in which the senator said Biden’s words are dredging up pain for many Americans.

It's funny that the people that actually were on the front lines of the Civil Rights movement like John Lewis and Clyburn are defending Biden without reservation.  It's the competing candidates and the 'progressives' who weren't even alive for the real battles are are so offended.  
  • Options
    edited June 2019

mrussel1 said:

njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Dont know If the HBO app here has Bill Maher. Sometimes I find an upload If the whole show on youtube. Otherwise I just watch, from the official youtube channel Overtime and the guest Interview. 

But there was another perspective on the ”Dems are harming their chances by critizizing eachother”  A perspective by the clip you can see Maher was not agreeing with/expecting. 

OPRAH 2020!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Hi! said:

Surprised. 
    Did you hear the latest Rogan podcast with Charlamagne? There was an interesting 10 minute conversation about Elizabeth Warren, but no sooner did they stop talking about Warren when they veered off and talked about Ticketmaster, at which point Rogan gave a Pearl Jam shot out.. If you get a chance to check it out, it’s pretty good listen.
    Haha, found and watched that part. They didn't say much about Warren though...

And I don't get this "state your race" thing. Why? Because of a diversity/"positive special treatment" (As the term is in Sweden) thing at universities/colleges?

And why would someone state their "race" (a word not used/allowed in Sweden to differentiate people btw (think "Biden-Boy and Cortez-Concentration Camp. The foundation of racism is to consider people as different "races")) as native american (or whatever) if someone told them they have like 1% Native American in them from hundreds of years ago? Then wouldn't the 99% of them being something else override that?

Does any "race" not being white sort of trump and dominate, no matter how small or far back the amount is? Or what?
  • Options
    Hi! said:

Surprised. 
    Haha, found and watched that part. They didn't say much about Warren though...

And I don't get this "state your race" thing. Why? Because of a diversity/"positive special treatment" (As the term is in Sweden) thing at universities/colleges?

And why would someone state their "race" (a word not used/allowed in Sweden to differentiate people btw (think "Biden-Boy and Cortez-Concentration Camp. The foundation of racism is to consider people as different "races")) as native american (or whatever) if someone told them they have like 1% Native American in them from hundreds of years ago? Then wouldn't the 99% of them being something else override that?

Does any "race" not being white sort of trump and dominate, no matter how small or far back the amount is? Or what?
    IDK and hopefully someone smarter than me will understand and be able to answer your questions better than I can. I just think we are trying to do our best when it comes to race and overcoming our racist past by asking these questions and instituting policies like Affirmative Action in order to level the playing field. 

This discussion has been closed.