Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I think Oprah is going to have to be VP.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Bernie going to use the situation in Iran to hammer Biden on Iraq war vote in debate. Just a thought.🤓
    My old man told me tonight that Bernie’s being paid by the Trump campaign, lol. He also said we going to war with Iran for sure. He doesn’t get out much, but he might be right.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,072
    Hi! said:
    My old man told me tonight that Bernie’s being paid by the Trump campaign, lol. 

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,139
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    https://twitter.com/FoxNewsSunday

No real surprises here, other than perhaps that Warren polls so different in the general than Sanders, even though they have similar platforms.  My presumption is it's some combination of sexism along with the damage that Warren has taken with Native American issue.  

What the polling unfortunately displays is Americans do not want to vote for people who likely have sex with men.
    You can potentially glean anything you want from this, including:
    -Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders have better name recognition than Warren
    -The DNC voting base supports a diverse set of policies
    -There are three main 'lanes' that candidates are occupying - one currently occupied by Biden, one by Sanders, and one split by Warren, Buttigieg, and Harris
    -The spread of the top 3 candidates, when factoring in the +/- 3%, shows that Biden, Sanders, and Warren could potentially be tied at 46% right now (if you believe that Fox uses proper polling practices at all)
    -The spread of Warren, Buttigieg, and Harris means that with a 4.5% margin error, means that one of those three candidates (Warren) could in actuality have 3.8x the votes of either of the other two (Buttigieg or Harris)
    -The sum of the faith DNC voters have in aged candidates less the sum of skepticism of aged candidates is probably greater than the sum of the faith DNC voters have in younger candidates less the sum of skepticism of younger candidates  

The point I'm trying to make is one I've tried to make here countless times: trying to distill a human's decision-making process to identify one leading relevant fundamental truth that 'sealed the deal' is beyond asinine, and it's only done so that we can deliver a lazy soundbite for people to shrug their shoulders and accept, after we so boldly state the singular reason why this or that happened. 

Americans have a long track record here as compared to "humans" in other countries. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,665
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

No real surprises here, other than perhaps that Warren polls so different in the general than Sanders, even though they have similar platforms.  My presumption is it's some combination of sexism along with the damage that Warren has taken with Native American issue.  

What the polling unfortunately displays is Americans do not want to vote for people who likely have sex with men.
    -There are three main 'lanes' that candidates are occupying - one currently occupied by Biden, one by Sanders, and one split by Warren, Buttigieg, and Harris
    -The spread of the top 3 candidates, when factoring in the +/- 3%, shows that Biden, Sanders, and Warren could potentially be tied at 46% right now (if you believe that Fox uses proper polling practices at all)
    -The spread of Warren, Buttigieg, and Harris means that with a 4.5% margin error, means that one of those three candidates (Warren) could in actuality have 3.8x the votes of either of the other two (Buttigieg or Harris)
    -The sum of the faith DNC voters have in aged candidates less the sum of skepticism of aged candidates is probably greater than the sum of the faith DNC voters have in younger candidates less the sum of skepticism of younger candidates  

The point I'm trying to make is one I've tried to make here countless times: trying to distill a human's decision-making process to identify one leading relevant fundamental truth that 'sealed the deal' is beyond asinine, and it's only done so that we can deliver a lazy soundbite for people to shrug their shoulders and accept, after we so boldly state the singular reason why this or that happened. 

Americans have a long track record here as compared to "humans" in other countries. 
    You countered the argument against generalizing by generalizing some more.  Second, more Americans voted for a woman than a man in 2016.
  • Options
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

I would say voting a gay man into office would be hard in many countries. 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

You countered the argument against generalizing by generalizing some more.  Second, more Americans voted for a woman than a man in 2016.
    More Americans voted for a woman than DONALD "Grab em by the pussy and mock em with nicknames like a clown" TRUMP. You think it would have been as close if it would have been a "normal man" running on the republican side?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

More Americans voted for a woman than DONALD "Grab em by the pussy and mock em with nicknames like a clown" TRUMP. You think it would have been as close if it would have been a "normal man" running on the republican side?
    I have no idea.  Presumably that Republican would have had his own set of baggage that people would have to sort out.  Would that candidate appeal to the white working class?  Would he have won PA and WI?  All we can evaluate is what actually happened.  Bernie isn't a sick fuck yet Hillary beat him by 10 points.  And this is exactly @benjs point; you cant' sort through and make assumptions about the mindset of a nation of voters. It's hubris.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    benjs said:
    mrussel1 said:

I have no idea.  Presumably that Republican would have had his own set of baggage that people would have to sort out.  Would that candidate appeal to the white working class?  Would he have won PA and WI?  All we can evaluate is what actually happened.  Bernie isn't a sick fuck yet Hillary beat him by 10 points.  And this is exactly @benjs point; you cant' sort through and make assumptions about the mindset of a nation of voters. It's hubris.  
    Can still be interesting to ask and theorize about. But yes ofc.
  • Options
    Biden got some competition. Trump raises the stakes! 

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited June 2019
    All of this “physical revolution” chatter from Biden...Makes me think he is really talking about more female bubble invading and hair sniffing.  
    Let’s get physical...physical- Campaign theme song???
  • Options
    Wtf is a physical revolution? Anyway, it seems the right is suggesting that he’s calling for some sort of violent confrontation when in fact he was taking a shot at Sanders rhetoric while making the case for a middle ground approach.

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Wtf is a physical revolution? Anyway, it seems the right is suggesting that he’s calling for some sort of violent confrontation when in fact he was taking a shot at Sanders rhetoric while making the case for a middle ground approach.
    What he said was (and I'm paraphrasing)... People criticized me because I support working across the aisle.  Well today, we don't have a choice but to do that.  Unless you're talking about a physical revolution, our system of gov't requires two parties to come together to solve problems.  So that's what I plan to do.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    What he said was (and I'm paraphrasing)... People criticized me because I support working across the aisle.  Well today, we don't have a choice but to do that.  Unless you're talking about a physical revolution, our system of gov't requires two parties to come together to solve problems.  So that's what I plan to do.
    Yes, I get that. The right is playing it up like he is calling for civil war or something, taking what he said out of context. No biggie, just politics, but Biden should articulate better.

• Options
    Hi! said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    Yes, I get that. The right is playing it up like he is calling for civil war or something, taking what he said out of context. No biggie, just politics, but Biden should articulate better.
    Meh.  If you're going to worry about how the right is going to manipulate what you say, you'll never speak.  They are only preaching to the converted anyway.  No reputable news source could say that he was advocating revolution.  Any sentence can be re-constructed as a lie.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Hi! said:
    Meh.  If you're going to worry about how the right is going to manipulate what you say, you'll never speak.  They are only preaching to the converted anyway.  No reputable news source could say that he was advocating revolution.  Any sentence can be re-constructed as a lie.  
    True dat, yo!

• Options
  • Options
    The sleaze at it again:

The New York Times reached out to 22 Democratic presidential candidates to ask them the same set of questions on video. Twenty-one accepted the invitation.

Joseph R. Biden Jr. declined to participate despite repeated requests since late April.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/us/politics/2020-candidate-interviews.html

• Options
    Biden will call in sick for the debate. Haha.
  • Options
    OMG that is so sleazy... he won't demonize the rich.  Listen, I will not vote for any politician that isn't willing to marginalize some part of the population.  It's literally the most important thing we can do as Americans... marginalize other Americans.  Great job as always finding these gems of truth.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,867
    mrussel1 said:
    OMG that is so sleazy... he won't demonize the rich.  Listen, I will not vote for any politician that isn't willing to marginalize some part of the population.  It's literally the most important thing we can do as Americans... marginalize other Americans.  Great job as always finding these gems of truth.
    whats the rest of the quote.......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    All of this “physical revolution” chatter from Biden...Makes me think he is really talking about more female bubble invading and hair sniffing.  
    Let’s get physical...physical- Campaign theme song???

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    whats the rest of the quote.......
    Oh it only gets worse. 
    Because when we have income inequality as large as we have in the United States today, it brews and ferments political discord and basic revolution. [...] It allows demagogues to step in and say the reason where we are is because of the other, the other. You’re not the other.
  • Options
    the horror!!!!!!

From the huffpost article linked above

Though Biden has pushed a generally populist economic agenda focused on decreasing income inequality and promoting workers’ rights, the former vice president has taken a moderate stance when it comes to taxation. Unlike some of his 2020 Democratic rivals like Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Biden has not singled out the mega-rich as tax targets. He’s instead proposed expanding tax credits for the poor and middle class, and making the tax code less friendly to rich investors.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    the horror!!!!!!

Though Biden has pushed a generally populist economic agenda focused on decreasing income inequality and promoting workers’ rights, the former vice president has taken a moderate stance when it comes to taxation. Unlike some of his 2020 Democratic rivals like Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), Biden has not singled out the mega-rich as tax targets. He’s instead proposed expanding tax credits for the poor and middle class, and making the tax code less friendly to rich investors.

I think "sleazy" is the word you're looking to use there.  The best part of the HuffPo article is that the entire premise of the article is based on an assumption made by the author, who wasn't even in the room.  "Appearing to suggest" that his tax plan would not include excessive taxes on the rich, Biden said “no one’s standard of living change” if he’s elected. 

That's right, "appearing to suggest" was written by someone who was not there for the appearance.  That's journalism at its finest.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    the horror!!!!!!

I think "sleazy" is the word you're looking to use there.  The best part of the HuffPo article is that the entire premise of the article is based on an assumption made by the author, who wasn't even in the room.  "Appearing to suggest" that his tax plan would not include excessive taxes on the rich, Biden said “no one’s standard of living change” if he’s elected. 

That's right, "appearing to suggest" was written by someone who was not there for the appearance.  That's journalism at its finest.  
    further,  unless you SEIZED the bulk of someone's assets, they standard of living isnt likely to change.

And it was stated excessively taxing the rich, not that they wouldn't be taxed.

see this is why I think foriegn  interference of any kind , here or elsewhere online is fundamentally damaging to what WE face ahead of us. You know, those of us who will actually be voting.....

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    the horror!!!!!!

further,  unless you SEIZED the bulk of someone's assets, they standard of living isnt likely to change.

see this is why I think foriegn  interference of any kind , here or elsewhere online is fundamentally damaging to what WE face ahead of us. You know, those of us who will actually be voting.....
    that's interesting.  We have foreigners spreading suspect information all the time on 10C, with the intent to influence the election.  I had not thought of it that way.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    the horror!!!!!!

that's interesting.  We have foreigners spreading suspect information all the time on 10C, with the intent to influence the election.  I had not thought of it that way.  
    lessons learned from 16.......

• Options

Joe Biden Needs To Stick To The Script

https://youtu.be/PB-OzxW_sH8
  • Options

Joe Biden Needs To Stick To The Script

https://youtu.be/PB-OzxW_sH8

Biden 46.
This discussion has been closed.