Options

The Democratic Candidates

Comments

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    And circumcision is barbaric.
    Then don't choose it for your son.  Im comfortable with my choices and my father's.  I also chose measles vaccine, small box, chicken pox and HPV for my children.  Call child protection. 
    That's a pretty dumb comparison. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    Anyone comparing circumcision too vaccinations has no idea what they are talking about.
    How many sons did you say no to circumcision?
    I have two sons. Circumcision isn't even offered here so I didn't have to say no to anything.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    edited June 2019
    https://twitter.com/FoxNewsSunday

No real surprises here, other than perhaps that Warren polls so different in the general than Sanders, even though they have similar platforms.  My presumption is it's some combination of sexism along with the damage that Warren has taken with Native American issue.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    Just scaninng CNN this morning and smiled when I read this line:
    "Sources told CNN that the President has been angry for days about the internal polls leaked to the media last week that showed him losing to Democrats, including Joe Biden, in states like Michigan and Wisconsin."
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/politics/trump-2020-kickoff-pollster-firing/index.html
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    mcgruff10 said:
    "Sources told CNN that the President has been angry for days about the internal polls leaked to the media last week that showed him losing to Democrats, including Joe Biden, in states like Michigan and Wisconsin."
    https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/17/politics/trump-2020-kickoff-pollster-firing/index.html
    they fired 3 people over it.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    they fired 3 people over it.....

reread the article.  duh.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    mrussel1 said:

No real surprises here, other than perhaps that Warren polls so different in the general than Sanders, even though they have similar platforms.  My presumption is it's some combination of sexism along with the damage that Warren has taken with Native American issue.  

What the polling unfortunately displays is Americans do not want to vote for people who likely have sex with men.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    edited June 2019
    I wonder, if it was only Biden and any 1 of those other candidates... would the other candidate best Biden?

What this also says is the American voting public is more comfortable with old white dude regardless of the weird sexual behavior over a normal woman or a normal gay man without weird sexual shit in their background.

i really do not understand how you, at this point, could be upset by trumps sexual shit and give Biden a pass. Now if it end soon up being head to head then sure. But right now, no way.

IMO there are 2 candidates that are the best. Pete and Elizabeth. But I really do not like Warrens plans...however she has specific plans and communicates well. Pete is an amazing communicator. Has good ideas and is a veteran. He is my preferred candidate still out of this group. 
    Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,012
    edited June 2019

mrussel1 said:
    There's an old saying that I'm terrible at following...

Never argue with crazy.. they drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.  
    benjs said:
    I also like “never go mud wrestling with a pig. You both get dirty but the pig likes it”.
    mrussel1 said:
    That's a good one.  "Never sweat the petty things and never pet the sweaty things".  
    mcgruff10 said:
    My go to is: “you can’t be logical with illogical.”  
    Thank you in how you choose to describe me, but you are forgetting the great american thinker Forrests Gump's "Stupid is as stupid does". 

And to my knowledge it isn't democratic candidate Yang or "The Swede" who is defending the stupid act of mutilating a newborn child and violating his (or her) body and rights, because of basically "eh... vague, skewed or incorrect reasons, or my daddy and mommy did it so it must be okey because they are nice folks!".

Just because something has been a tradition for whatever reason (religious or because of a uptight morale concerning sex), doesn't mean it has to be. And just because it happend to you or you did it to your children, doesn't mean it was the correct thing to do in retrospect. Even if you didn't think of it at the time, or is unable to think of it in the present.

As Swedish National Association of Sexual Education pretty sanely concludes:

We do not think it is ethically justifiable to remove healthy tissue from the human body on individuals who cannot give their consent to it. To violate personal integrity in this way is to violate the child's rights. Circumcision of boys is an irreversible act. RFSU believes that it is each individual's right to decide about their own body and therefore do not want circumcision to be performed on children without medical reasons.

If you care so much about your son being "a superman who may have a slight-slight-slight less chance of attracting HIV" or whatever vague reason, wait until he is of the age to decide himself. The same if it is for religious reasons. Simple. Easy. Not a violation of his rights. Not stupid as stupid does. Life is like a box of chocolates. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I wonder, if it was only Biden and any 1 of those other candidates... would the other candidate best Biden?

What this also says is the American voting public is more comfortable with old white dude regardless of the weird sexual behavior over a normal woman or a normal gay man without weird sexual shit in their background.

i really do not understand how you l, at this point, could be upset by trumps sexual shit and give Biden a pass. Now if it end soon up bing head to head then sure. But right now, no way.

IMO there are 2 candidates that are the best. Pete and Elizabeth. But is really do not like Warrens plans...however she has specific plans and communicates well. Pete is an amazing communicator. Has good ideas and is a veteran. He is my preferred candidate still out of this group. 
    First, you characterize (unfairly and maliciously in my opinion) Biden's paternalistic tendencies as sexual.  I'm sure you know Biden lost his wife and one year old daughter when he was a young senator and he stated that he sees them in everyone.  Neither you or I knows what's in his heart.  The comparison to real life words that come out of Trump's mouth are different stratospheres to me. 

Second, if you want to know why Warren doesn't poll well in this particular one, look no further than this conclusion from the pollsters.  This statement applies to Warren.  Pete is ideologically close to Biden, but he is an unknown.  

Overall, Democratic primary voters divide when choosing between a candidate with “high ethical standards” (52 percent) and one who can “defeat Donald Trump” (45 percent).

By a 74-23 percent margin, they prioritize nominating a candidate who will “unite Americans around shared beliefs” over “fight against extreme right-wing beliefs.”

They also prefer, by a 72-25 percent margin, their nominee provide “steady, reliable leadership” rather than “a bold, new agenda.”

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mrussel1 said:

What the polling unfortunately displays is Americans do not want to vote for people who likely have sex with men.
    You can potentially glean anything you want from this, including:
    -Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders have better name recognition than Warren
    -The DNC voting base supports a diverse set of policies
    -There are three main 'lanes' that candidates are occupying - one currently occupied by Biden, one by Sanders, and one split by Warren, Buttigieg, and Harris
    -The spread of the top 3 candidates, when factoring in the +/- 3%, shows that Biden, Sanders, and Warren could potentially be tied at 46% right now (if you believe that Fox uses proper polling practices at all)
    -The spread of Warren, Buttigieg, and Harris means that with a 4.5% margin error, means that one of those three candidates (Warren) could in actuality have 3.8x the votes of either of the other two (Buttigieg or Harris)
    -The sum of the faith DNC voters have in aged candidates less the sum of skepticism of aged candidates is probably greater than the sum of the faith DNC voters have in younger candidates less the sum of skepticism of younger candidates  

The point I'm trying to make is one I've tried to make here countless times: trying to distill a human's decision-making process to identify one leading relevant fundamental truth that 'sealed the deal' is beyond asinine, and it's only done so that we can deliver a lazy soundbite for people to shrug their shoulders and accept, after we so boldly state the singular reason why this or that happened. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    And regarding children's rights, which the topic of circumscription is about and hopefully President Warren can help strengthen - for the sake of the american youth:

Ian Swanson was 5 when his family moved from the United States to Umeå, a small university town in northern Sweden. It was the place where he made his first friends, where he learned to read and where, like any kid, he was "into absolutely everything."

He occasionally got a spanking from mom, or a swat on the rear and a stern look from his dad. But he remembers one day when his kindergarten teacher, school principal and a social worker came to their home. They worried Ian wasn't fitting in; they wanted to talk about the "abuse."

Swanson remembers translating for his parents, who were still learning the language, too: "'You have to understand, things are different here.'"

In 1979, a few years before the Swanson family arrived, Sweden became the first country to ban physical punishment of children.

Since then, 30 more countries have passed bans on corporal punishment at home, and even more have banned it in schools, according to the Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children. Just last month, Togo confirmed to the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child that parts of its children's code are meant to ban physical punishment.

No countries in North America ban physical punishment by parents

/.../

"[Parents] couldn't understand how someone had the gall -- 'Who in the world can come in and tell me how I'm supposed to raise my child?'" he said. "That's a very American idea. In Sweden, that would not be asked. It's everybody's responsibility."

When Pia Johnson was a teen studying in Sweden, she didn't realize a ban was in place at first. Her peers seemed happier and more independent, she said, but there wasn't an obvious link to children's rights.

Now that she's 45 and a public school teacher in Las Vegas, her view has shifted: Nobody she met in Sweden experienced neglect, and few experienced physical trauma at the hands of their parents. Nobody in Sweden has to wrestle with the questions of what was abuse, what wasn't and what to do next.

"We have a lot of messed-up parents raising kids, teaching their kids to be messed up, as well," said Johnson, who teaches third-graders. "When we call [Child Protective Services], they're like, 'Well, no, that's not exactly it. It's a small bruise.' When we try to advocate, nothing gets done. In Sweden, even if there isn't a bruise, all you have to do is say something."

https://edition.cnn.com/2011/11/09/world/sweden-punishment-ban/index.html

So I can understand if Pearl Jam fans across the pond have problems taken in the perspective of a child's own rights because they don't seem to be in focus over there - but internet exists, and you are able to start to think about things. Things that are wrong, aren't right just because it is the only thing you know of from your upbringing.

Hopefully President Warren is more open minded. And has a plan.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    lol....."President Warren"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    And regarding children's rights, which the topic of circumscription is about and hopefully President Warrem can help streangthen - for the sake of the american youth:

Ian Swanson was 5 when his family moved from the United States to Umeå, a small university town in northern Sweden. It was the place where he made his first friends, where he learned to read and where, like any kid, he was "into absolutely everything."

He occasionally got a spanking from mom, or a swat on the rear and a stern look from his dad. But he remembers one day when his kindergarten teacher, school principal and a social worker came to their home. They worried Ian wasn't fitting in; they wanted to talk about the "abuse."

Swanson remembers translating for his parents, who were still learning the language, too: "'You have to understand, things are different here.'"

In 1979, a few years before the Swanson family arrived, Sweden became the first country to ban physical punishment of children.

Since then, 30 more countries have passed bans on corporal punishment at home, and even more have banned it in schools, according to the Global Initiative to End All Corporal Punishment of Children. Just last month, Togo confirmed to the United Nations Committee on the Rights of the Child that parts of its children's code are meant to ban physical punishment.

/.../

"[Parents] couldn't understand how someone had the gall -- 'Who in the world can come in and tell me how I'm supposed to raise my child?'" he said. "That's a very American idea. In Sweden, that would not be asked. It's everybody's responsibility."

When Pia Johnson was a teen studying in Sweden, she didn't realize a ban was in place at first. Her peers seemed happier and more independent, she said, but there wasn't an obvious link to children's rights.

Now that she's 45 and a public school teacher in Las Vegas, her view has shifted: Nobody she met in Sweden experienced neglect, and few experienced physical trauma at the hands of their parents. Nobody in Sweden has to wrestle with the questions of what was abuse, what wasn't and what to do next.

"We have a lot of messed-up parents raising kids, teaching their kids to be messed up, as well," said Johnson, who teaches third-graders. "When we call [Child Protective Services], they're like, 'Well, no, that's not exactly it. It's a small bruise.' When we try to advocate, nothing gets done. In Sweden, even if there isn't a bruise, all you have to do is say something."

So I can understand if Pearl Jam fans across the pond have problems taken in the perspective of a child's own rights because they don't seem to be in focus over there - but internet exists, and you are able to start to think about things. Things that are wrong, aren't right just because it is the only thing you know of from your upbringing.

Can you capsulize this into whether or not you are supporting Yang and is anti-cutting agenda?  This is important to me because what happens in the US affects the world, so whether or not we outlaw circumcision should be super important to our friends across the pond.  Plus I have no interest in reading any of what you posted. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Big Chief Warren 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    And regarding children's rights, which the topic of circumscription is about and hopefully President Warrem can help streangthen - for the sake of the american youth:

/.../

Can you capsulize this into whether or not you are supporting Yang and is anti-cutting agenda?  This is important to me because what happens in the US affects the world, so whether or not we outlaw circumcision should be super important to our friends across the pond.  Plus I have no interest in reading any of what you posted. 
    Stop being condescending then and quoting me, if you are not gonna read what I post or be able stay away from your hostility-problem.

Thank you.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

/.../

Stop being condescending then and quoting me, if you are not gonna read what I post or be able stay away from your hostility-problem.

Thank you.
    I highly suggest you stay away from my hostility.  It would be healthier for you.  
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

/.../

Thank you.
    I highly suggest you stay away from my hostility.  It would be healthier for you.  
    I do believe you were the one quoting me. For the sole reason to be condescending, so you force your hostility on me actually. Which you of course are aware of.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

/.../

Thank you.
    I do believe you were the one quoting me. For the sole reason to be condescending, so you force your hostility on me actually. Which you of course are aware of.
    I was unaware of the "no quoting if you're going to be condescending" rule.  My bad.  

Wait, did I just do it again?
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

/.../

Thank you.
    I was unaware of the "no quoting if you're going to be condescending" rule.  My bad.  

You highly suggest me to stay away from your hostility, while forcing it on me by quoting to tell me you don't care about reading what I have posted. Maybe logic isn't your strong suit - but that does not add up.

And no need to get hostile if you do not believe in children's rights. take a look in the mirror instead.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    PJPOWER said:
    Big Chief Warren 
    LOL...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

/.../

Thank you.

You highly suggest me to stay away from your hostility, while forcing it on me by quoting to tell me you don't care about reading what I have posted. Maybe logic isn't your strong suit - but that does not add up.

And no need to get hostile if you do not believe in children's rights. take a look in the mirror instead.
    Are you drunk already?  We don't believe in children's rights because some of us had our kids circumcised?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

/.../

Thank you.

You're a victim, I get it.  It's on me to ensure you avoid me.  I'll take that responsibility.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

/.../

Thank you.
    Maybe the definition I read was wrong...but how does circumsciption how children?  or is that Swedish for circumcision.  Or my definition is wrong...Let us know me know if Sweden has banned the procedure...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

It's on me to ensure you avoid me.  I'll take that responsibility.  

• Options
    edited June 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

/.../

Thank you.

Are you drunk already?  We don't believe in children's rights because some of us had our kids circumcised?
    Reread my post. If you are coming up with that conclusion.

And I will not start to get drunk untill an hour from now.
  • Options
    we need @brianlux, once again falling behind in his duties...boys!  BOYS or as in @mrussel1, he prefers...girls!  GIRLS!
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    we need @brianlux, once again falling behind in his duties...boys!  BOYS or as in @mrussel1, he prefers...girls!  GIRLS!
    Peter Griffin as Mrs. Garrett's boobs..

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Peter Griffin as Mrs. Garrett's boobs..

LOL
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Elizabeth Warren Slowly Wins Over Voters

https://youtu.be/BlC-SB8UvnM
This discussion has been closed.