Options

YOUR SIX TIME SOON TO BE SEVEN TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Comments

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Big help from old friend Gunner Olszewski
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

Ah yes, New England didn't win, Pittsburgh lost. 
  • Options

And that's not what I said.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

I expect that play to be the focal point on the sports hub today too.
  • Options
    Poncier said:

The sequence starting with the near interception you mentioned through that muffed punt was definitely a pivotal point in the game.

It was nice to see Nelson Agholor finally make the kind of impact he did. If that can happen with some consistency, then I'm a little more optimistic about their offense. They still need to get something out of Jonnu Smith.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:

The sequence starting with the near interception you mentioned through that muffed punt was definitely a pivotal point in the game.

It was nice to see Nelson Agholor finally make the kind of impact he did. If that can happen with some consistency, then I'm a little more optimistic about their offense. They still need to get something out of Jonnu Smith.
    Agholor looked great, as did the running game down the stretch. The O line had a much better game. The D looked pretty good too. 

A lot of penalties, but that can be fixed. 
  • Options
    Next 2 weeks will be tests for the D containing 2 very different style QBs.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Next 2 weeks will be tests for the D containing 2 very different style QBs.
    No doubt... Baltimore will be even harder after the way W2 played out for them. I would love to see them give Harbaugh an L. 
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    W's are W's, boys. They don't give out style points.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Why Tommy starting all those fights?
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiT said:
    He's an angry young man.
  • Options
    ikiT said:
    I don't know no Tommy. 
  • Options
    That game winning drive… just running it down their throats and they couldn’t stop it. That is winning football. Preseason in NE is still underway.
    That football you saw in the fourth quarter is going to cause teams some problems after thanksgiving when the season really starts.  They are on to Baltimore. 

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited September 2022
    It is 2001 all over again. An injury to the starting QB early in the season (week 2 in ‘01, week 3 in ‘22) and the third string draft-flyer saviour comes in to lead the team to an improbable super bowl. 

The table is set Bailey Zappe. Let’s go on a run. 

• Options
    Unfortunately I think you'll see Hoyer not Zappe.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Unfortunately I think you'll see Hoyer not Zappe.
    Just wait. This 3rd stringer is going to bail out this team. The NFL is about to get zapped. 
  • Options
    Ugh…. What a tough game. The offense looked great early on, and despite that 3rd quarter they were still in a position to win well into the 4th. 

The picks from Mac were brutal, as was Agholor's fumble. 
  • Options
    Turnovers usually decide games. Couple of bad ones yesterday.
    I know it was desperation time but rushing to get that play off before the 2-minute warning may have derailed the whole season. 
    We'll see what the MRI shows.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Turnovers usually decide games. Couple of bad ones yesterday.
    I know it was desperation time but rushing to get that play off before the 2-minute warning may have derailed the whole season. 
    We'll see what the MRI shows.
    Your first point about the turnovers is spot on, and what cost them the game. I don't understand the comment about the 2 minute warning though... you said it yourself, it was desperation time, they had to have it. That's football. 
  • Options
    Point is they rushed a play (that obviously went wrong on multiple levels). With the clock ticking that close to the 2-minute warning, sometimes it's better to just let the clock get there, take the timeout, get organized and get a couple of plays called. In hindsight that would have been the case yesterday.
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Point is they rushed a play (that obviously went wrong on multiple levels). With the clock ticking that close to the 2-minute warning, sometimes it's better to just let the clock get there, take the timeout, get organized and get a couple of plays called. In hindsight that would have been the case yesterday.
    That's easy to say in hindsight, but they were down by 11 in their own territory with only 1 time out left. If they didn't try to get the play off they would be getting dragged for their lack of urgency, and rightfully so.  
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496
    edited September 2022
    Had they only been down by one score, I might be more inclined to agree, but I think in that circumstance down by 11, they have to try to get that play off before the 2:00 warning. 

• Options
    Their only hope was an onside kick anyway, so that one extra snap wasn't going to be the deciding factor. Honestly the wise thing to do if they wanted to snap it at 2:01 would have been to run a draw, clock was going to stop after the play regardless, and they might have caught defense off guard and got a quick 10 yards or so.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Poncier said:
    Their only hope was an onside kick anyway, so that one extra snap wasn't going to be the deciding factor. Honestly the wise thing to do if they wanted to snap it at 2:01 would have been to run a draw, clock was going to stop after the play regardless, and they might have caught defense off guard and got a quick 10 yards or so.
    The wheels just came off in so many different ways yesterday (it's amazing that they were still in it as late into the 4th as they were)... these guys have a long way to go before they're going to be serious contenders again. 
  • Options
    I don’t over analyze sports, there are enough talking heads for that. I’m just going to cheer for the boys and hope Zappe gets the start. Would be just awesome if he took the league by storm. Feel good stories are always awesome, but the best when it’s the team you cheer for 
  • Options
    Screw the talking heads. They don't even believe their own shit; that people listen to that contrived drivel blows my mind.

If you were hoping to see Zappe make the start though, I wouldn't bet the house on it just yet... I'm pretty sure he's the 3rd stringer and Hoyer's going to get the nod on Sunday. 
  • Options
    Yeah, I think the only way we see Zappe is if Hoyer gets hurt.
  • Options
    edited September 2022
    Poncier said:
    Yeah, I think the only way we see Zappe is if Hoyer gets hurt.
    Or stinks up the joint... It they're getting blown out, I could see them throwing Zappe in there to get some reps.

Although w/ BB who knows? I'll never understand why Stidham didn't get more playing time in 2020. Cam was hot pre-covid, but a disaster down the stretch. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,627
    Hoyer is really bad for an actual starter, though.  I remember when we put him in when he was on SF and damn....he is smart and a good teammate but does not have the talent to be a starting qb.
    I like Jones, sorry to see him go down.
    Would love it if a random guy ends up being awesome 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Hoyer is really bad for an actual starter, though.  I remember when we put him in when he was on SF and damn....he is smart and a good teammate but does not have the talent to be a starting qb.
    I like Jones, sorry to see him go down.
    Would love it if a random guy ends up being awesome 
    This is my point. Hoyer is no bueno. I’m not excited to see Hoyer, but for sure I’m watching if the kid plays. 
    His college numbers are insane and they saw something in him. LFG!!!