Options

Should I ask Agnes out on a date?

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Yes
    Philly 2016. A group of degenerates, including yours truly, rented an AirBnB flophouse. I think it was four or five men and two women in the house. The women slept upstairs, and I did, too -- in an alcove right outside their room, to be specific. My wife never met these women -- and I hadn't yet either, at least not in person; we were just good forum buddies -- she knew that these were the sleeping arrangements and gave zero fucks about it. (And if anyone knows what a fine specimen of man I am, it's my wife, right? I mean, how in the world would those ladies resist all of this. :lol: ) Nope. She just wanted me to travel safely, have a good time with my imaginary friends and not wind up in jail. 

Fenway 2018. One of those women friends crashed at our house, meeting my wife for the first time, and they got along quite well. Actually, the other woman made it to the cookout that I had on the off day between shows and met my wife as well.

Now we all know each other, and that's great, but it really didn't matter before. It sounds like some of you would get some divorce papers in the 2016 scenario. That's too bad. I made a new bestie on that trip.

But your marriage and family always come first. You've got to abide by whatever works for you and yours. So again, I'm not judging at all, but I do find it odd and a little sad, as I'm sure you find my arrangement odd. Takes all kinds.

The Dude abides.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    No
    I heard a story about a guy being denied the right to shit upstairs late at night, when he was drunk, because he was not Dankind nor female.
    Sexist pigs!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,619
    No
    (btw, good call, I heard that guy's shit smell has been called 'The Graveyard' by his family)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Here's an idea...fuck asking Agnes out on a date, we all know by now that your version of "tomorrow" never comes.

INSTEAD, ask PJSoul on a date. You're both single. You share a seemingly common mindset on who you're with isn't necessarily the one you need to spend your free weekends having fun with. You both seem fond of beer. And you are both PJ fans. 

BOOM!!!!!
    But you can't trust her. Hanging out with people of the opposite sex and things like they're... regular people or something...
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,533
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    Here's an idea...fuck asking Agnes out on a date, we all know by now that your version of "tomorrow" never comes.

INSTEAD, ask PJSoul on a date. You're both single. You share a seemingly common mindset on who you're with isn't necessarily the one you need to spend your free weekends having fun with. You both seem fond of beer. And you are both PJ fans. 

BOOM!!!!!
    Are you crazy? Been there, done that. There is no way I'm giving up my magical single status at the moment - it's awesome!!! Get back to me when I'm old and worried about dying alone. :lol:;) But S_C, we can be friends, and if you ever ask Agnes out, I promise she doesn't have to worry about anything sordid happening when we hang together. =)
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,240
    I'm just here for the comedy....carry on.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    SD48277 said:
    Tomorrow is here. Did you ask her out already?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpB7COPyHmY
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,875
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    My wife and I took a half a vacation day today together. We went out to lunch and did some shopping. I can’t imagine spending that time with another woman. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    I couldn't imagine spending half a vacation day with anyone. :lol:
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    My wife and I took a half a vacation day today together. I can’t imagine spending that time with another woman. 
    Could you imagine spending time with a friend?
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    My wife and I took a half a vacation day today together. I can’t imagine spending that time with another woman. 
    Exactly. Or any other time you may have.
    Seriously, this really does come off as sexist. It's at the very least saying that you can't conceive any relationship with a woman that isn't romantic or somehow sexually charged. Why else would you be comparing a female friend to your wife?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Seriously, this really does come off as sexist. It's at the very least saying that you can't conceive any relationship with a woman that isn't romantic or somehow sexually charged. Why else would you be comparing a female friend to your wife?
    Sexist?  Nah, just in love with my wife. 
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pansy.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Yes
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    What does your love for your wife have to do with other friendships? That's the point. That's why it's sexist. If we were talking about you hanging out with one of your buddies you wouldn't be mentioning your wife. Sorry, I'm not trying to argue with you... it's just so.... sexist. IMO.
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    What does your love for your wife have to do with other friendships? That's the point. That's why it's sexist. If we were talking about you hanging out with one of your buddies you wouldn't be mentioning your wife. Sorry, I'm not trying to argue with you... it's just so.... sexist. IMO.
    I don’t think it’s sexist. There are a lot of women who are married that wouldn’t spend time one on one with another guy either. I think it’s the same from both sides. Or it’s sexist from both sides then. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I don’t think it’s sexist. There are a lot of women who are married that wouldn’t spend time one on one with another guy either. I think it’s the same from both sides. Or it’s sexist from both sides then. 
    Yes, absolutely that would be sexist if a woman did the same thing. Obviously.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes, absolutely that would be sexist if a woman did the same thing. Obviously. It's a sexist problem no matter who is refusing to be friends with someone based on their gender.
    That’s fair. I still don’t think it’s sexist though. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    What has that to do with friendship? You can be in love with your wife and have friends. Those two things are not mutually exlusive.
  • Options
    Yes
    I was just thinking about this thread while I was eating lunch today. That is all. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Yes, absolutely that would be sexist if a woman did the same thing. Obviously. It's a sexist problem no matter who is refusing to be friends with someone based on their gender.
    I'm not sure what else you could call refusing to be friends with someone based solely on their gender and/or the inability to view people of the opposite sex outside of a sexualized/romanticized context. That's sexist by definition. It's something people should try to change. To me it already seems super old fashioned. I hope this silliness doesn't exist at all for the next generation or the one after that, because it's fucking stupid and sexist and shows there's a long way to go before the sexes respect each other properly..... At least the LGBTQ community seems to have gotten past it for the most part.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm not sure what else you could call refusing to be friends with someone based solely on their gender and/or the inability to view people of the opposite sex outside of a sexualized/romanticized context. That's sexist my definition. It's something people should try to change. To me it already seems super old fashioned. I hope this silliness doesn't exist at all for the next generation or the one after that, because it's fucking stupid and sexist and shows there's a long way to go before the sexes respect each other properly..... At least the LGBTQ community seems to have gotten past it for the most part.
    It’s not a lack of respect for the opposite gender. It’s showing respect to your spouse.  As much as I trust my wife, I wouldn’t love the idea of her having a dinner, drinks, movie night with any man except me (or her father). 
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited October 2018
    No
    mcgruff10 said:
    Could you imagine spending time with a friend... and his imaginary love interest?
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    Yes
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm not sure what else you could call refusing to be friends with someone based solely on their gender and/or the inability to view people of the opposite sex outside of a sexualized/romanticized context. That's sexist by definition. It's something people should try to change. To me it already seems super old fashioned. I hope this silliness doesn't exist at all for the next generation or the one after that, because it's fucking stupid and sexist and shows there's a long way to go before the sexes respect each other properly..... At least the LGBTQ community seems to have gotten past it for the most part.
    It definitely isn’t sexist.  It s just having respect for your significant other and seriously having no interest in those relationships. Spiritual, i have plenty of friends! We try to get together every three or four months but it is tough because we all have kids and spend time with our wives.  

• Options
    Yes
    I heard a story about a guy being denied the right to shit upstairs late at night, when he was drunk, because he was not Dankind nor female.
    Sexist pigs!

The shit story was a ruse. That guy was just trying to get into my pants. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    If I really wanted to hang out with another married woman, I’d tell my wife to come along and have the woman’s husband come too. We love hanging with other couples and do it all the time. It’s a blast. Sometimes I’ll even spend more time chatting it up with the woman or women that aren’t my wife, and that’s totaly cool. The one on one thing just seems unnecessary. 
  • Options
    Yes
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Pansy.
    This weekend My buddy is eating at Regina s pizza in Boston. Have you ever tried it? 
  • Options
    Yes
    bbiggs said:
    If I really wanted to hang out with another married woman, I’d tell my wife to come along and have the woman’s husband come too. We love hanging with other couples and do it all the time. It’s a blast. Sometimes I’ll even spend more time chatting it up with the woman or women that aren’t my wife, and that’s totaly cool. The one on one thing just seems unnecessary. 
    100000000000% agree. 
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Yes
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I'm not sure what else you could call refusing to be friends with someone based solely on their gender and/or the inability to view people of the opposite sex outside of a sexualized/romanticized context. That's sexist my definition. It's something people should try to change. To me it already seems super old fashioned. I hope this silliness doesn't exist at all for the next generation or the one after that, because it's fucking stupid and sexist and shows there's a long way to go before the sexes respect each other properly..... At least the LGBTQ community seems to have gotten past it for the most part.
    It’s not a lack of respect for the opposite gender. It’s showing respect to your spouse.  As much as I trust my wife, I wouldn’t love the idea of her having a dinner, drinks, movie night with any man except me (or her father). 
    I really just don't understand how you're not seeing the sexism involved here. And yes, if you or your spouse are incapable of considering a friendship with the opposite sex without feeling jealously like what you just described, I do think that's a general issue of respect for the opposite gender. I mean, you not wanting your wife to hang out with a male friend because you want that man to be only yourself or her blood relatives, that is a pure sense of possession of jealously. There is no other possible explanation behind that. The only reason this doesn't feel sexist to you, nor like a form of jealousy, is because it's normalized thinking. To me it's old fashioned normalized thinking, but normalized thinking all the same. Societies can be very slow to change such traditional perspectives.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    bbiggs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I really just don't understand how you're not seeing the sexism involved here. And yes, if you or your spouse are incapable of considering a friendship with the opposite sex without feeling jealously like what you just described, I do think that's a general issue of respect for the opposite gender. I mean, you not wanting your wife to hang out with a male friend because you want that man to be only yourself or her blood relatives, that is a pure sense of possession of jealously. There is no other possible explanation behind that. The only reason this doesn't feel sexist to you, nor like a form of jealousy, is because it's normalized thinking. To me it's old fashioned normalized thinking, but normalized thinking all the same. Societies can be very slow to change such traditional perspectives.
    Well, I have been called an old soul before. ;)