*** Chicago, IL, Fanviews Here 8/18/18 ***

Comments

• release00 said:
    For me it’s all about flow and this show had the flow you want. Loved the set list. 29th show for me. 
    It really did. Managed to tell a dynamic story throughout the entire night. Many chapters of the same book. 

Lets get get this thread back on track. I've been to some great shows in the last 5 years - every Wrigley show and Milwaukee Yield. This Saturday (I think) was the fewest songs I've heard at a show (which is crazy), but it really didn't feel like it at all. This show was as good or better than any of the others I've been to. First, the flow, as mentioned, was thrilling! First and second sets especially. No letdowns at all. 

Then, there's the feel - I always expect more from crowds, especially in GA, but there were some spots that were gettin it, and we had a sizable contingent of proper die-hards. More roomy than 2 years ago in GA too, so there was room to jump and dance without bumping people. That said, it was very high energy from the band, especially Ed. He always tries so, SO hard and gives so much, but he was clearly amped up. There was a moment where he was pounding his chest repeatedly (during the last Not For You verse maybe?). If I tried to do that and sing, it would sound like I was riding a jackhammer. But his voice clearly doesn't come from his chest. Vibrations from deep within the Earth echo and swell til they rise up through him. That's a little known fact - Mount Eddie is actually an active volcano. 

Next point - Anybody else get the feeling he is taking much better care of his voice? Maybe since what happened in Europe? Few voices on the planet are strong enough to cut through the mix of instruments they have on that stage. He sounded so full, so clear and crisp, and as strong as ever. Lotta years left in that guy and in this group remaining the best band in the world. 

Some solo Chris Cornell songs played before the band took the stage. He's still on the minds of so many at these shows, myself included. Missing was a highlight. I hope it makes the band feel good to play that one. Sure felt good to sing along to. Too many other highlights to name. Which brings me to my last take-away. 

The performance. Just stellar. Everybody on stage had many moments to shine. So tight, all night. So strong. So energetic. So much love and energy exchanged between the fans and the band. There isn't just nothing like seeing these guys live. Really wish I could have made it tonight too, but Night 1 gave us so very much. Happy for those who will be in the house tonight tho. They're on fire right now!
  • crober72crober72 Bartlett, IL Posts: 74
    edited August 2018
    RBAlive2727 said:
    It was simply pure rock n' roll and enjoyment that everyone one from ages 5-100 could enjoy. 

One of the highlights for me was the family sitting next to us in sec 137. Looked like 2 tickets form Mom and son (maybe 9 - 10 y.o.) together and Dad was sitting elsewhere. While my wife was in line getting me a hat and shirt and making new friends, Dad came back to sit with the fam and stayed for the rest of the show. It was pretty clear that the kid had been brought up listening to PJ — sang along to a good number of songs and the smile on kid’s and Dad’s face when Yellow Ledbetter started was priceless. 

It was a great show regardless of any of this but the wife and I both agreed that seeing them having so much fun together was a definite highlight. 
  • Anyone have any idea/speculation as to when a decision will be made regarding tonight’s show? The weather reports are calling for thunderstorms all night. Rain is no problem, but I imagine lightning will lead to a cancelation. 
    2013: Baltimore, Los Angeles (1&2), Seattle
    2009: Los Angeles (1,2,3,4)
    2008: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2003: Los Angeles (1&2)
    2000: Maryland
    1998: Washington, DC
  • JTHJTH Chicago Posts: 3,238
    5 pages in this thread and I think I only saw one post mentioning Stone so far.  To me, he was the MVP on Saturday night - absolutely on fire.  His solos were probably the best I've ever seen/heard him play.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,672
    release00 said:
    For me it’s all about flow and this show had the flow you want. Loved the set list. 29th show for me. 
    It really did. Managed to tell a dynamic story throughout the entire night. Many chapters of the same book. 

Lets get get this thread back on track. I've been to some great shows in the last 5 years - every Wrigley show and Milwaukee Yield. This Saturday (I think) was the fewest songs I've heard at a show (which is crazy), but it really didn't feel like it at all. This show was as good or better than any of the others I've been to. First, the flow, as mentioned, was thrilling! First and second sets especially. No letdowns at all. 

Then, there's the feel - I always expect more from crowds, especially in GA, but there were some spots that were gettin it, and we had a sizable contingent of proper die-hards. More roomy than 2 years ago in GA too, so there was room to jump and dance without bumping people. That said, it was very high energy from the band, especially Ed. He always tries so, SO hard and gives so much, but he was clearly amped up. There was a moment where he was pounding his chest repeatedly (during the last Not For You verse maybe?). If I tried to do that and sing, it would sound like I was riding a jackhammer. But his voice clearly doesn't come from his chest. Vibrations from deep within the Earth echo and swell til they rise up through him. That's a little known fact - Mount Eddie is actually an active volcano. 

Next point - Anybody else get the feeling he is taking much better care of his voice? Maybe since what happened in Europe? Few voices on the planet are strong enough to cut through the mix of instruments they have on that stage. He sounded so full, so clear and crisp, and as strong as ever. Lotta years left in that guy and in this group remaining the best band in the world. 

Some solo Chris Cornell songs played before the band took the stage. He's still on the minds of so many at these shows, myself included. Missing was a highlight. I hope it makes the band feel good to play that one. Sure felt good to sing along to. Too many other highlights to name. Which brings me to my last take-away. 

The performance. Just stellar. Everybody on stage had many moments to shine. So tight, all night. So strong. So energetic. So much love and energy exchanged between the fans and the band. There isn't just nothing like seeing these guys live. Really wish I could have made it tonight too, but Night 1 gave us so very much. Happy for those who will be in the house tonight tho. They're on fire right now!
    Absolutely agree about Ed's voice.  Just phenomenal.  
  • bigdeathbigdeath Chicago Posts: 80
    JTH said:
    5 pages in this thread and I think I only saw one post mentioning Stone so far.  To me, he was the MVP on Saturday night - absolutely on fire.  His solos were probably the best I've ever seen/heard him play.
    Totally agree.  Stone's solo at the end of RITFW was on a highlight.  Had wanted to hear something different than that song when it started, but his solo made me change my mind.  
  • BSullyBSully Indiana Posts: 973
    RP112579 said:
    SOLAT and Breath back to back was fucking mind blowing!!!
    Yep...
    1998: Noblesville, IN 08-17
    2000: Noblesville, IN 08-18
    2003: Noblesville, IN 06-22
    2006: Cincinnati, OH 06-24
    2010: Noblesville, IN 05-07
    2016: Lexington, KY 04-26, Wrigley Field 2 08-22
    2018: Wrigley Field 1 08-18, Wrigley Field 2 08-20
    2022: St. Louis, MO 09-18
    2024: Noblesville, IN 08-26, Wrigley Field 1 08-29, Wrigley Field 2 08-31
  • TR136913TR136913 Posts: 14
    crober72 said:
    RBAlive2727 said:
    It was simply pure rock n' roll and enjoyment that everyone one from ages 5-100 could enjoy. 

One of the highlights for me was the family sitting next to us in sec 137. Looked like 2 tickets form Mom and son (maybe 9 - 10 y.o.) together and Dad was sitting elsewhere. While my wife was in line getting me a hat and shirt and making new friends, Dad came back to sit with the fam and stayed for the rest of the show. It was pretty clear that the kid had been brought up listening to PJ — sang along to a good number of songs and the smile on kid’s and Dad’s face when Yellow Ledbetter started was priceless. 

It was a great show regardless of any of this but the wife and I both agreed that seeing them having so much fun together was a definite highlight. 

A PJ show is no place for 9 and 10 y.o. kids. Too much profanity, drunks and marijuana.
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,188
    TR136913 said:
    crober72 said:
    RBAlive2727 said:

A PJ show is no place for 9 and 10 y.o. kids. Too much profanity, drunks and marijuana.
    Says the only person I have seen that said this was a weak set of b-sides.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • shmapshmap Posts: 359
    TR136913 said:
    crober72 said:
    RBAlive2727 said:

You seem determined to denigrate nearly every aspect of the show. How perplexing.
  • Some people will never be happy and would complain even if they got to pick the playlist.
  • BTW...it was an outstanding show and loved the playlist.
  • senor lockesenor locke No. Ill. Posts: 36
    Show #13 for me, #8 for my wife. Our 1st time doing GA together...she says she never wants to go back to the seats again and wants to aim for the rail next time! We were about 10 deep directly in front of Mike. Show went fast...I think they were very mindful of curfew.

Enjoyed the Corduroy - Hail Hail - Animal run, can't get enough of Animal live...only seen twice previously.
    Footsteps - Solat - Breath was stellar!
    DTE is a top 5 song for me and I am pumped when they play it...but the crowd didn't seem as into it as other shows we've been to or some of the videos I've watched.

Hope the couple we met from Peoria got situated and have a better night tonight. He went for beer/bathroom, she stayed, and apparently while trying to get back to her someone took offence to him making his way through the GA maze. Pushing and shoving ensued, he lost his wedding band, she had to leave and go find him.
    Tinley Park, Illinois (August 02, 1992)
    East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998)
    East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011)
    Hamilton, Ontario (September 15, 2011)
    Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013)
    Vienna, Austria (June 25, 2014)
    Berlin, Germany (June 26, 2014)
    Moline, IL (October 17, 201
    Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014)
    Fort Lauderdale (April 08, 2016)
    Chicago 1 (August 20, 2016)
    Chicago 2 (August 22, 2016)
    Chicago Night 1 (August 18, 2018)
    Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018)
  • pjfansincetenpjfansinceten Santa Monica, CA Posts: 107
    Highlights for me, SOLAT into Breath.  Took me back to 1992, seeing Singles at Pipers Alley Theatre.  Still my favorite soundtrack ever.  Getaway, nice to hear something from LB.  Turning around and seeing Charles Barkley in the pit, and then later turning around and seeing Rodman where Barkley was.  Literally in the same spot.  Celebrated my 40th in the pit, and might make 41 in the pit tonight.  Prayers for no rain!
    91 - 11/22 Detroit (opening for RHCP)
    98 - 7/14 Los Angeles Forum (missed Tenacious D)
    00 - 8/24 Jones Beach, 10/24 Los Angeles Greek (can't find a Better Van!), 25 San Diego & 28 San Bernadino (Glen Helen)
    03 - 6/2 & 3 Irvine, 5 San Diego, 6 Las Vegas MGM (10th Annivesary), 7 Phoenix
    05 - 9/2 Vancouver
    06 - 7/9 & 10 Los Angeles, 12 Hollywood (Fonda Theatre, it's a Worldwide Suicide), 15 & 16 San Francisco
    08 - 7/12 The Who Tribute at UCLA's Pauley Pavilion! (Love, Reign o'er me! with orchestra)
    09 - 8/23 & 24 Chicago United Center, 9/26 Portland, 9/30, 10/1, 6 & 7 Universal City Amphiteatre, 9 San Diego (2nd row)
    10 - 5/20 & 21 MSG, 10/23 Bridge School
    12 - 6/20 & 21 Manchester, UK
    13 - 11/19 Phoenix, 21 San Diego, 23 & 24 Los Angeles, 12/6 Seattle (finally)!
    14 - 10/16 Detroit, 20 Milwaukee (YIELDED), 22 Denver
    16 - 8/20 Wrigley #1
    18 - 8/18 Wrigley #1 (40th show!), 8/20 Wrigley #2
  • ski4ski4 Posts: 261
    ski4 said:
    Very awesome show. Not my favorite but being in a large stadium was awesome. 
    It was one of the most polished shows I’ve seen though.  I didn’t see any wine ed stayed sober.  No falling or breaking shit.  He stayed on track and kept the political rants very neutral and non divisive. The band was was wound up though and sound was amazing.  
    The singles tunes were a solid bonus for me 
    You summed it up perfect for me. It is has been my favorite show since OKC 13. Polished-Polished. Kept talking to a minimum and not B.S. Rants or Crap coming from his mouth. I wish this was how he performed everytime. It was simply pure rock n' roll and enjoyment that everyone one from ages 5-100 could enjoy. 

wasn't it? the polished aspect still has me amazed.
    man.   im still just thinking about the amazing sound quality for this show.   for an outdoor stadium show even? damn.  the light show and the sound was superb.  thank you pearl jam for springing for an amazing system.  thank you ed and the guys for making us all feel welcome and rocking my world like I have come to expect .  

you guys are in for a treat tonight that are going.   hope it's every bit as good as Saturday was.

"The only thing I ever saw that came close to Objective Journalism was a closed-circuit TV setup that watched shoplifters in the General Store at Woody Creek, Colorado." hst
  • TR136913TR136913 Posts: 14
    shmap said:
    TR136913 said:
    crober72 said:
    RBAlive2727 said:

You seem determined to denigrate nearly every aspect of the show. How perplexing.
    So you think it is good for young children to be exposed to profanity and illegal drug use?
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,823
    As opposed to completely sheltering them from it?
  • childofthemoonchildofthemoon Detroit Posts: 60
    Illegal drug use? My drug use at the show was fully legal, I took an edible before I walked in the gate. Edible was purchased from an authorized dispensary about five blocks up from Wrigley, i'm certified to purchase.
    Question, what about drinking alcohol in front of 9 and 10 year old kids? Is that allowed/not allowed. Just curious.
    Won't somebody think of the children?! 

The profanity in front of the children thing made me laugh.
  • JTH said:
    I thought Stone sounded awesome too. But did anyone notice how he exited the stage super fast before the first break (I’m pretty sure it was the first)?  He had his guitar off before the song was even over and jetted quickly. 
  • JTH said:
    I thought Stone sounded awesome too. But did anyone notice how he exited the stage super fast before the first break (I’m pretty sure it was the first)?  He had his guitar off before the song was even over and jetted quickly. 
    Yeah I enjoyed that. As soon as they hit the first big ending note on RVM (I think), he pulled his guitar off and handed it to a tech. Grabbed a bottle of water and drank. Then stood there clapping for the rest of the band as they made a big finish. Guy is so cool and doesn't even try. 

His lead in Rockin was great. Not For You as well. Too many to name. He was as great as ever! They all were. 
  • pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    Thank you to everyone around in Section X, Rows 14-16 for helping to literally make a dream come true.  Much love from my family to yours.
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • AirickAirick Posts: 10
    I'm speechless!

This is my 3rd GA show (Wrigley 2016 N1 + Missoula 2018 just a few days ago) and for the 3rd time, Ed came to me during Porch! I thought it was luck the first time; questioned if he remembered me the 2nd time. This time, however, totally intentional. Lightning strikes thrice! He came down the front of the stage and walked directly to me and held his hand out where I helped him get on top of the actual rail and held his hand the entire time!

What else is there to say but that? Even getting rail for the first time was overshadowed by that. So incredible! So amazing! So fortunate!
  • Gtilley8Gtilley8 Detroit Posts: 985
    Great show.  Was third off the rail directly in front of Mike.  Everyone in the vicinity couldn't have been more pleasant to be around.  They really made the show enjoyable.  Met some cool people in line and we stayed together for the duration.  Cheers to those around us, and these quality people that really made it such a great experience.  Hope we meet again at a show. 

2000 - 8/21 - Columbus, OH
    2003 - 6/18 - Chicago, IL
    2006 - 5/22 - Auburn Hills, MI
    2007 - 8/5 - Chicago, IL
    2015 - 9/26 - New York, NY
    2016 - 4/16 - Greenville, SC; 8/20 - Chicago, IL; 8/22 - Chicago, IL
    2018 - 8/18 - Chicago, IL; 8/20 - Chicago, IL

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3045
  • JakeN7JakeN7 Posts: 57
    edited August 2018
    Edit
    Post edited by JakeN7 on
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,174
    JTH said:
    5 pages in this thread and I think I only saw one post mentiohoning Stone so far.  To me, he was the MVP on Saturday night - absolutely on fire.  His solos were probably the best I've ever seen/heard him play.
    Agreed. He owned this show!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• pjman75pjman75 Indiana Posts: 836
    Are there any hi res set list photos floating around by chance?
    I'm a lucky man to count on both hands the ones I love.

8/17/98 Noblesville, 8/18/00 Noblesville, 6/5/03 San Diego, 6/22/03 Noblesville, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 5/7/10 Noblesville, 9/15/11 Hamilton, 11/21/12 Memphis (Ed w/ Glen), 7/19/13 Wrigley, 10/11/13 Pittsburgh, 10/01/14 Cincinnati, 10/03/14 Saint Louis, 4/16/16 Greenville, 4/26/16 Lexington, 5/1/16 NYC, 5/2/16 NYC, 8/20/16 Wrigley, 8/22/16 Wrigley (For Hank), 8/18/18 Wrigley, 8/20/18 Wrigley (For Hank), 9/18/22 Saint Louis, 9/5/23 Chicago, 9/7/23 Chicago
  • Chasing FootstepsChasing Footsteps Posts: 315
    edited August 2018
    Great show! Really enjoyed the set - Breakerfall, HAIL HAIL, Garden, Footsteps - SOLAT - Breath (WOW!), ALONE!! Only complaints: Know Your Rights after Breath (placement was off, IMO) and the crowd in our section was meh.
    All in all, really enjoyed this show. It seems to be getting heavily overshadowed by Monday’s show. 
    Post edited by Chasing Footsteps on
    Ft. Laud 96, WPB I and II 98, WPB I and II 2000, San Sebastian, Spain 2000, WPB 03, Tampa 03, MSG I and II 03, Kissimmee 04, Atlantic City I and II 05, Mansfield I 08, Toronto 09, Noblesville 10, Alpine Valley I and II 11, Wrigley 13, Baltimore 13, Ft. Lauderdale 2016, Miami 2016, Wrigley 2 2016