*** Chicago, IL, Fanviews Here 8/18/18 ***

Comments

• shmapshmap Posts: 359
    Show #32 for me, #22 for my 65 year-old mother who drove out from Philly for these shows. We were in GA in 2016, and I swear she had more stamina than I did! Up in 202 this time, “obstructed view” meant we couldn’t see Matt or Boom. The crowd around us was...erm...underwhelming. I couldn’t tell you the last time I saw so many people sitting through the majority of the show. To them, I’m sure we looked like rabid fans!

We thought it was an eclectic setlist, a solid mix of standards and deep cuts that would satisfy a variety of fans. Some scattered thoughts: Lost my mind at Alone and the SOLAT/Breath combo, but something about Elderly Woman always brings a tear to my eye too. Won’t Back Down was a stunning moment. Can’t Deny Me was much better than I anticipated. Happy to hear Getaway, the one original of the night that I hadn’t heard before.

Post-show threads can be such a disappointing read. Both of us are always slightly perplexed by the complaining after a show. We’re so grateful that they’re still making music, touring, and clearly having fun, that neither of us can imagine walking away disappointed. Even after 32 shows, hearing more White Whales than many other people could dream of, I would never think to criticize their setlist choices. 
  • This was my first Pearl Jam show. I was ok with the set list. I would have liked to have more from Ten, since that is the album that got me drawn to the band. But looking at from the band’s perspective, they have that line of the songs they want to play, and the songs they are expected to play. A song like Black, on one hand, that is a song that helped them become popular so they should play it for the fans. At the same time, they have played that song thousands of times. 
    I do hope to hear Release on Monday, if there is a Monday show around the weather forecast. 
    Wrigley 8/18/18
    Wrigley 8/20/18
    Fenway 9/2/2018
    Fenway 9/4/2018

• KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,768
    Dear Pearl Jam,
    You had me at Wash. 
    Actually, you had me at Alive first, but live, you had me at Wash. 
    Big hugs,
    xx
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,756
    Band was high energy, Ed sounded great, Mike solo'd within a few feet, got blasted with a handful of his picks (shared them with the fans around me), setlist was great, weather was solid.

So much to love about that setlist - they won't satisfy everyone but still a great mix for 30 tracks. Can't wait for the bootleg.

Longest time I spent waiting in a GA line in hopes of rail, and while the whole wait was civil and great to make new friends, they really messed up by splitting it into 6 lines and a few fans causing chaos as doors opened. Wrigley should know how to handle this better. Hope they resolve that for Monday night.

If anyone got shots of me flashing my "All the Way" jersey PM me. Got a glimpse of it on the screens during Rebel Rebel.

• FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I actually called the opener for once!!!! Fucking wash!!! As soon as those chords stuck and Ed started my mouth dropped and said "ooooooooooo ed sounds goooooooood" and then I said that repeatedly thru wash "ooooooooo they sound gooooooood"

Deny me live was killer! I honestly felt and hear some punk/bad radio vibes LOVED LOVED cant deny.

Ed- "I'll save my voice Mike RIP their faces off" :rock_on: fuck yes!!!!!!!!! Melt it!!!!!

I was just in heaven my happy place all night. they didn't even wear me down I could've kept going. I was jumping screaming grooving all nite!! Couldnt be any happier!!

Know your rights was Jeff was outstanding!!

I felt many times I easily heard each member just killin it!

Ok so not enough close ups of the guys faces or their gear. Those TVs are not big enough cant believe they didn't use the stadiums TVs. Also for a long while the sound was atrocious! Awful. Could not hear or understand ed. Had no idea what cover they played after ed talked about Chris. Sound at times was way too loud.

Loved the stadium. Loved the people.

THANK YOU PJ FOR COMING TO THE GREAT LAKES REGION AND FOR PLAYING OUTSIDE!!!!! XOXO

THANK YOU FOR BRINGING CHRIS WITH YOU AS THE OPENER XOXOX :heart:

Boy I could keep going so much more could be said.
    Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,079
    unikunka said:
    You're mad they didn't play Evil Little Goat?  Cause you love the song with all your heart or because some other crowd now boasts they got to see it first?

You’re clearly not logged in enough, hahaha!! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Duster72Duster72 Posts: 37
    That was my 18th show.  I have been to some really good ones.  Moline, Safeco x2, PJ20, Wrigley x3, MSG, etc.

That show fucking rocked.  It was easily in my top couple of shows.  The band was having a great time, the setlist was killer, the flow from song to song was awesome, the crowd (at least down low) was singing loud.

If you're complaining about that one you might want to look at yourself and consider maybe you just weren't up for it last night.  I thought it was better than both Seattle shows pretty easily.
  • korn-1korn-1 Los Angeles, transplanted from Chicago Posts: 914
    First PJ GA experiance, great time!
    Loved the lyric change at the beginning of Wash. Present Tense, Footsteps, Garden, Alone, Breakerfall, Getaway, Leaving Here, Breath, a few covers ive never seen before. Wasnt interested in the posters so i spent the day making new friends, hanging with old friends i havent seen since 2016, eating, drinking etc. Got the shirt i wanted and the flag by just waiting 10 minutes after the show.  Wish i hadnt even seen a few of those that were scratched but apprecited a couple of write ins. Cant wait for tomorrow!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    Did you have fun? I had fun. I had a blast. The people around me, not so much, but guess, what I sang my ass off and melted like a little kid when they busted out Bowie because it's the closest I'm ever going to get. Footsteps into State into Breath (wow, ever happen? That's a random salvo right there). Breakherfall, Cord, Hail Hail, and Leaving Here again a random pairing that is more like it was out of 2000 or 03, not 18. I mean so many positive things. This was show 17 (I think) over the 20 years and one of my faves. 
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 908
    Enjoy them while they are here folks. 

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 493
    WW187806 said:
    Just like the guy that had the pussy sign to Ed tonight,
    What happened there!?  If you don't mind me asking
    I gotta be more careful because I was respectfully warned by Sea and had my post edited. Someone had commented about the show being lackluster and I find THAT offensive. Regarding the sign. Very funny moment, you will hear it on the boot. Ed literally got the whole crowd to laugh. A guy brought a sign that said "Play BRY, You Evanston Pussy," referring to Ed. Ed called the guy out and said you know, with all respect and the me too movement, what the heck. And, he said to the guy in a joking manner, fuck you you fucking fuck wad. We played that two years ago here, where were you?? Sleeping? It was very funny. They put the sign up on the screens. And then I guess to make the guy not feel like he was being attacked by the band he loves, Ed said, "We'll probably play that one a little later." Fun moment. Guys were in high spirits. Ed was fired up. He also talked about voting for about 3 minutes. And was not political, just said to vote. He mentioned if everyone votes theres no way they can manipulate our voices with machines or whatever. Audience was good with it, especially because right after that the trophy came out with Rebel Rebel- good timing by Ed of course. FOOTSTEPS>SOLAT > BREATH is just flat out old school Pearl Jam. That was a great part of first Encore. Also, Can't Deny me sounds like a twisted funky slower version of DTE. You gotta hear it live, but thats what it felt like to me. Cheers. 
  • ZodZod Posts: 9,904
    The setlist looks amazing.    I would of really enjoyed the show had I been there.    It's wierd but had I been there the only song that would of been new to me live would of been the rebel rebel cover (which would of been super cool).  This setlist does lean toward rare(ish) songs that I really liked.

I love the Evil Little Goat song.   Since the first time I heard it on a random bootleg or wherever it came form before the ten deluxe set.   Would be cool if they busted it out live.. :)   It's a pretty deep cut.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Great show! Although I really thought they missed a chance to play a blazin Grievance after know your rights 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    Kat said:
    Dear Pearl Jam,
    You had me at Wash. 
    Big hugs,
    xx
    Absolutely!!! Wash was amazing....one of my favs. Then when they started hail hail I knew it would be an amazing night!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    Ahh man I’m so jealous of everyone who is there & got to see this show and will be there tomorrow night as well!!

The Cubs and Pearl Jam are the two greatest things on earth and Wrigley Field is my church.

Breakerfall, Garden, Not For You, Alone, Won’t Back Down, & Rebel Rebel... are you freakin kidding me??!!  I would love to hear those and many others played all in the same show! Wow!!

Take care of yourselves, folks. Medical bills have pretty much kept me at home all year. I’ve managed to see a couple shows semi-locally at very little cost but alas I could not afford a trip to Chicago this year. Really, really wish I was there!
  • SlickSlick Posts: 20
    Just my 4th show but I got 2/3 of the songs I really wanted, Wash and Garden but no Of the Girl.  Setlist schmetlist, the wife and I had fun, that's how I grade a show!
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,768
    Kat said:
    Dear Pearl Jam,
    You had me at Wash. 
    Big hugs,
    xx
    love this post.  And for me, it was Black.  :)  It's all good, I am still reeling from the Home shows.  I just love this band.  There really are no words to describe the impact they've had on my life.  Big hugs to you Kat.  :) Anyone going to W2 and Fenway, have a blast.  Wish I could be at ALL of them.  
  • JF157715JF157715 Posts: 40

...Oh, and Rebel Rebel SLAYED. 
    Indeed it did! The selfish, snobbish part of me would love for this to be an OTOTO so I could have bragging rights at having seen it, but I couldn't do that to my fellow PJ-ers. This one deserves to be played often. Man, they just nailed it. What a wonderful surprise that was!

And tschav, thank you for sharing your photos. That first one of Ed is really fantastic.
    2003 - Chicago (6/18 - United Center)
    2006 - Chicago 1 (5/16 - United Center), Chicago 2 (5/17 - United Center)
    2009 - Chicago 1 (8/23 - United Center), Chicago 2 (8/24 - United Center)
    2013 - Chicago (7/19 - Wrigley Field)
    2014 - Moline (10/17 - iWireless Center), Milwaukee (10/20 - Bradley Arena)
    2016 - New York City 1 (5/1 - MSG), New York City 2 (5/2 - MSG), Chicago 1 (8/20 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/22 - Wrigley Field)
    2018 - Chicago 1 (8/18 - Wrigley Field), Chicago 2 (8/20 - Wrigley Field)
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,860
    He gave the shirt to the same guy from the Dvd who waited in line for days and requested that song name escapes me.  He obviously waited a frw daya again to be front center
  • Another great show!!! Number 13 for me and I thought the sound was great.  (I was in section 109)

10 new songs for me, another solid show, hard to complain when you're are sharing space with your favorite band and their fans!
    1995 - Milwaukee, Night 1 ~~~ 2004 - VFC Toledo ~~~ 2006 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2009 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2 ~~~
    2011 - PJ 20 East Troy, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2013 - Wrigley ~~~ 2014 - Moline ~~~ 2016 - Wrigley, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2018 - Wrigley, Night 1 & 2 ~~~ 2022 - STL~~~ 2023 - Chicago, Night 1 & 2
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,062
    This was show #13 for me and while it was good, it was not one of my favorites.  (Seattle 2 and Miami 2016 were the best for me).  No complaints though.  There's nothing like seeing this band live no matter the setlist.  Here's hoping there is a Monday show (and alternatively if they are going to postpone here's hoping they notify people of that before everyone heads out to the venue).  It would be their third postponement/cancellation of the year after BA and London.  One per continent.  I guess that's life?
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 590
    That was a blast!  Alone into RVM rocked. The only bad thing I have to say is I couldn't believe the amount of people standing in line for merch during the show. 
    I made the same observation at Seattle 2 and I’m talking late first set when I took my one piss break. (But still 3 or so songs before the encore break).I couldn’t believe the mega size of the Merch line and it was like a whole different world in the concourse,  granted you could take a better look at the band from the lineup than an arena show but wtf I couldn’t believe it. It was like the gig was an afterthought to some Merch hounds.
  • SaravaSarava Naperville, IL Posts: 1,992
    nicknyr15 said:
    That was a blast!  Alone into RVM rocked. The only bad thing I have to say is I couldn't believe the amount of people standing in line for merch during the show. 
    Seriously? That’s embarrassing. 
    Yep.  Insane.  Went to the bathroom 2-3 times during the show and every time there were a bunch of people waiting in line.....people more concerned with tshirts and stickers than the actual show....I just don't get it.
    Yeah I had one bathroom break about 10 songs in and I was shocked at how long the line was. To each his own I guess.
  • buck502000buck502000 Birthplace of GIBSON guitar Posts: 8,951
    I hate everyone 
  • BettrMan21BettrMan21 Chattanooga,Tn Posts: 268
    I was talking to a fellow Pearl Jam fan recently and we discussed how it seems the music and the band have become very, very secondary to the merchandise. People will hound you when you mention there's been very little new music in 5 years but they'll thump their chest about market value on a $35 poster. It's very strange, and a bit sad, what it's all become.  
  • Amaaazing show on Saturday! 
  • 1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,823
    I was talking to a fellow Pearl Jam fan recently and we discussed how it seems the music and the band have become very, very secondary to the merchandise. People will hound you when you mention there's been very little new music in 5 years but they'll thump their chest about market value on a $35 poster. It's very strange, and a bit sad, what it's all become.  
    They're 28 years in. Families. I'm just glad they're still around. 
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • ski4 said:
    Very awesome show. Not my favorite but being in a large stadium was awesome. 
    It was one of the most polished shows I’ve seen though.  I didn’t see any wine ed stayed sober.  No falling or breaking shit.  He stayed on track and kept the political rants very neutral and non divisive. The band was was wound up though and sound was amazing.  
    The singles tunes were a solid bonus for me 
    You summed it up perfect for me. It is has been my favorite show since OKC 13. Polished-Polished. Kept talking to a minimum and not B.S. Rants or Crap coming from his mouth. I wish this was how he performed everytime. It was simply pure rock n' roll and enjoyment that everyone one from ages 5-100 could enjoy. 
    6/27/06 St. Paul**MN
    11/16/13 OKC**OK
    10/09/14 Lincoln**NE
    10/19/14 St. Paul**MN
    5/02/16 NYC**MSG #2
    8/20/16 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1
    8/13/18 Missoula**MT WA-Grizz Stadium 
    8/18/18 Chicago**IL Wrigley #1 
    4/2/20 Nashville**TN 
    4/4/20 St. Louis**MO 

• Blacksheep76Blacksheep76 Houston, TX Posts: 167
    Nice...Hope you guys get a break in the weather tonight and get another kick ass show
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,273
    hrd2imgn said:
    He gave the shirt to the same guy from the Dvd who waited in line for days and requested that song name escapes me.  He obviously waited a frw daya again to be front center

He was in The GA line Seattle 1 also. How did he win SEA1 GA and CHI1 GA in the 10c lottery?  Maybe another members extra I guess!?