Options

$15 minimum wage

Comments

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,741
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    Interesting discussion about driver-less vehicles.  My own take is that (at least in America, if not some other countries) we are super addicted to driving.  Why else would such a high percentage of cars have single drivers?  If the government tired to ban driving, we would see a shit storm of rioting and protest like this country has never seen before.  I honestly believe that.
    I agree wth a 100%.  The automobile culture in Canada and States is alive and welI. I myself would never give up my right to drive.  However, this discussion is moot, I doubt any of us will be around to see driverless car take hold in any meaningful way.
    But that isn't how it would work at all. The government is not going to "try to ban driving" all of a sudden, while people are not prepared for it. I don't understand how either of you got this fantasy in your heads. The technology and capability will come first, The government will just step in when forced to by private enterprise and consumer behaviour. That is why this whole "government control" crap is so dumb. Government control has absolutely nothing to do with it - no more than government control is at play when you're stopped at a red light.
    I am certainly not going to worry about something that will not reach the masses in my lifetime...
    Is that the official motto for conservatives? It seems like it most of the time. They don't give a flying fuck about future generations. Just about themselves.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Interesting discussion about driver-less vehicles.  My own take is that (at least in America, if not some other countries) we are super addicted to driving.  Why else would such a high percentage of cars have single drivers?  If the government tired to ban driving, we would see a shit storm of rioting and protest like this country has never seen before.  I honestly believe that.
    I agree wth a 100%.  The automobile culture in Canada and States is alive and welI. I myself would never give up my right to drive.  However, this discussion is moot, I doubt any of us will be around to see driverless car take hold in any meaningful way.
    Most of the automotive culture is centered around freedom to “hit the open road” and exploring roads less traveled.  Many agricultural tasks could not be done by driverless cars.  I do not foresee people giving up their driving privileges any time soon.  If anything, driverless car manufacturers are going to have to adapt to sharing the road a majority of actual drivers, not the other way around.
    Of course driverless will start out sharing the road with drivers - that's not a guess. That is already what's happening; remember that driverless cars are already being tested on the roads, and many companies are looking into driverless trucking with great interest. This is obviously a very gradual change. And I disagree completely about the agricultural aspect. I think such industries, along with the transportation industry in general, will be the most eager to swith over as technology allows them to.
    I can see cars that allow you to drive, but also allow an “auto-pilot” being useful for farmers and ranchers, but not complete driverless cars.  There are tasks such as driving out in the middle of fields, avoiding hazards in the fields that you are driving on, and so on that would not be logical with a driverless car.  Maybe driverless on highways only?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Most of the automotive culture is centered around freedom to “hit the open road” and exploring roads less traveled.  Many agricultural tasks could not be done by driverless cars.  I do not foresee people giving up their driving privileges any time soon.  If anything, driverless car manufacturers are going to have to adapt to sharing the road a majority of actual drivers, not the other way around.
    Of course driverless will start out sharing the road with drivers - that's not a guess. That is already what's happening; remember that driverless cars are already being tested on the roads, and many companies are looking into driverless trucking with great interest. This is obviously a very gradual change. And I disagree completely about the agricultural aspect. I think such industries, along with the transportation industry in general, will be the most eager to swith over as technology allows them to.
    I can see cars that allow you to drive, but also allow an “auto-pilot” being useful for farmers and ranchers, but not complete driverless cars.  There are tasks such as driving out in the middle of fields, avoiding hazards in the fields that you are driving on, and so on that would not be logical with a driverless car.  Maybe driverless on highways only?
    Yes, I think the first consumer driverless cars will be "hybrids", where you can turn it on and off. But I don't think that is a logistical consideration. The technology that makes it possible to never have a driver already exists. Computers are already smart enough to do of the tasks you're talking about. Just imagine what they'll be capable of in 20 or 30 years. AI is real. And driverless on highways only would kind of defeat the purpose. Consumer-level driverless will be most useful within cities, where most of the congestion and accidents are.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,936
    See what the military is doing with autonomous humvees as far as computers driving in fields and woods. It’s much closer than you think as are robotic  “pack” animals.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    flywallyflyflywallyfly Posts: 1,453
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    I am certainly not going to worry about something that will not reach the masses in my lifetime...
    Is that the official motto for conservatives? It seems like it most of the time. They don't give a flying fuck about future generations. Just about themselves.
        You need to get out more then. The echo chamber in here is not doing you any favors, in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
        You need to get out more then. The echo chamber in here is not doing you any favors, in my humble opinion.
    So you think I get all of my information from the AMT?? :lol:
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    See what the military is doing with autonomous humvees as far as computers driving in fields and woods. It’s much closer than you think as are robotic  “pack” animals.
    Yeah, I just don’t see it.  Maybe i’ll be wrong or maybe you will...we’ll see.  It would be awesome for robots to herd cattle, drive over pastures without running over cactus and getting flats, or find lost calves and bring them back to their mothers, and fix broken fences...but I’m not going to hold my breath.  I’m not saying the technology will never be able to do these things, but i’m not sure how feasible it will be.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,312
    PJPOWER said:
    Yeah, I just don’t see it.  Maybe i’ll be wrong or maybe you will...we’ll see.  It would be awesome for robots to herd cattle, drive over pastures without running over cactus and getting flats, or find lost calves and bring them back to their mothers, and fix broken fences...but I’m not going to hold my breath.  I’m not saying the technology will never be able to do these things, but i’m not sure how feasible it will be.
    "Danger Will Rogers!!!"

I want my own pet robot like in Lost in Space!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    Why would computers not be able to navigate difficult terrain? They can already do that, way better than any human can.
    Just take a look at what robots can do now. And these are simply still in the research phase. Soon enough we'll all be like, "omg, look at how slow and clumsy that thing is, har har har." I believe that we are still in the infancy of technological innovation, and look how fucking far we've come in only 30 years - it's so crazy. And just imagine the kinds of things the military is doing behind closed doors. And North America is behind the game as far as driverless goes. Check out where Singapore is at with it - they are clearly already working towards it and starting to issue licenses and regulations to accommodate the technology in business at a fast rate. Other countries will be following suit soon enough. I'm sure the less crowded a country is, the slower it will be to pick it up. NECESSITY is the mother of invention after all. In the case of driverless, overcrowding is what will make it a necessity. Eventually being in a driver car will just mean sitting in traffic 6 hours a day. Having "control" over  your machine won't seem so great when it's ruining your life. I already know people who literally spend 4 hours every single work day commuting... and yeah, it's ruining their lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbGRBPkrps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7h8mX9ZMs7g

• Options
    PJPOWER said:
    "Danger Will Rogers!!!"

I want my own pet robot like in Lost in Space!!!
    No shit, the one in the new series is badass.  If those existed, I would be sold!
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,423
    As long as I can buy a car with a manual transmission, I honestly don't care what anyone else drives or what drives them.  Just give me the option.  Even without driverless tech, the manual trans is becoming a needle in the haystack.  It's really disappointing.  I don't care how far automatic gearboxes have come, they're still absolute slags.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Why would computers not be able to navigate difficult terrain? They can already do that, way better than any human can.
    Just take a look at what robots can do now. And these are simply still in the research phase. Soon enough we'll all be like, "omg, look at how slow and clumsy that thing is, har har har." I believe that we are still in the infancy of technological innovation, and look how fucking far we've come in only 30 years - it's so crazy. And just imagine the kinds of things the military is doing behind closed doors. And North America is behind the game as far as driverless goes. Check out where Singapore is at with it - they are clearly already working towards it and starting to issue licenses and regulations to accommodate the technology in business at a fast rate. Other countries will be following suit soon enough. I'm sure the less crowded a country is, the slower it will be to pick it up. NECESSITY is the mother of invention after all. In the case of driverless, overcrowding is what will make it a necessity. Eventually being in a driver car will just mean sitting in traffic 6 hours a day. Having "control" over  your machine won't seem so great when it's ruining your life. I already know people who literally spend 4 hours every single work day commuting... and yeah, it's ruining their lives.

That sucks, I can drive to work in 4 minutes.  If I took the public transit it would take at least 30 minutes.  There is not even close to a need for driverless cars around here “yet”, but you’re right, if it is ever a necessity, i’m sure I would change my mind.  It would be great to not have to deal with taxis or Uber’s after having a few beers...
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

That sucks, I can drive to work in 4 minutes.  If I took the public transit it would take at least 30 minutes.  There is not even close to a need for driverless cars around here “yet”, but you’re right, if it is ever a necessity, i’m sure I would change my mind.  It would be great to not have to deal with taxis or Uber’s after having a few beers...
    I could drive to work in 10 minutes, but use public transit so it takes half an hour or so. I spend about $8000/year less than than the average driver though, so I'm cool giving up that little bit of time, lol. I literally spend on transportation in a whole year the amount good drivers pay for their insurance alone. And that includes any taxis that I take. The savings of not driving are totally insane.
    Yes! The idea of driverless is most appealing to me for the kind of reason you touched on. No more impaired driving worries! No more distracted driving problems either. And people could work, study, nap, eat, write, play the guitar, play with their kids, read, whatever, while they're commuting instead of just focusing on the road (and road raging and stressing about traffic in many cases). I think those are amazing arguments for driverless! People could get so much more done if they didn't have to spend all those hours driving. And as people get busier and busier, and traffic gets worse and worse, these things will start to matter more and more to more and more people IMO. It does make me wish that reincarnation were real - I would really like to see how it all turns out.
    Of course, this will be paired with amazing mass transportation advancements, like the Elon Musk kind. I believe there will come a time when transportation will actually be quite seamless and fast and relaxing.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

If work is close enough that you can drive in four minutes, why do you drive? Why not walk or cycle? The only reason I can think of to drive is if you need your car for work, like if you do deliveries or sales or something. I am a year-round cycle commuter and I love having that time on my bike and out of traffic, not to mention the cost savings, as PJSoul said. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

If work is close enough that you can drive in four minutes, why do you drive? Why not walk or cycle? The only reason I can think of to drive is if you need your car for work, like if you do deliveries or sales or something. I am a year-round cycle commuter and I love having that time on my bike and out of traffic, not to mention the cost savings, as PJSoul said. 
    Very good question. Or perhaps there is a disability issue?
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

I do a lot of driving for work, car is required for the type of work I do.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Texas waiter falsified ‘we don’t tip terrorist’ receipt, restaurant says

https://globalnews.ca/news/4349131/we-dont-tip-terrorist-receipt-hoax/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalToronto
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    That should be in the idiot thread.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,042
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

I can think of lots of reasons.
    i lived about 4-5 minute drive from my first real job. I biked a couple times, but drove 95% of the ttime because I was tired of getting to work all sweaty since it was very hilly on the commute.
    This was San Diego, so weather wasn’t an issue, but it would be now. Colorado if it isn’t below freezing then there’s probably a high risk of thunderstorms. 
    I would t even think to ask someone why they don’t bike
  • Options
    unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    Texas waiter falsified ‘we don’t tip terrorist’ receipt, restaurant says

https://globalnews.ca/news/4349131/we-dont-tip-terrorist-receipt-hoax/?utm_medium=Facebook&utm_source=GlobalToronto
    That should be on the obvious thread.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Tell that to the GPS guided combines. Just a matter of time before agriculture is harvested via roomba or iRobot. Autonomous dexterity is improving by leaps and bounds.
    There are a ton of agricultural tasks that would likely never be able to be accomplished by automated vehicles.  Hell, some people still even use horses for them even though cars have been around for 100 years.  Maybe once artificially intelligent robots start taking over every aspect of our lives, but does anyone really want that?
    Definitely my somewhat distant Amish relative do!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Tell that to the GPS guided combines. Just a matter of time before agriculture is harvested via roomba or iRobot. Autonomous dexterity is improving by leaps and bounds.
    There are a ton of agricultural tasks that would likely never be able to be accomplished by automated vehicles.  Hell, some people still even use horses for them even though cars have been around for 100 years.  Maybe once artificially intelligent robots start taking over every aspect of our lives, but does anyone really want that?

Lol, maybe they will start driving cars in 2,000 years.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,920
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

That would be very strange!

The fact is though, Amish farmers are still some of the most successful at what they do anywhere.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

That would be very strange!

The fact is though, Amish farmers are still some of the most successful at what they do anywhere.

Very true, sometimes that level of seclusion and self-reliance does not seem so terrible.

• Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    PJ_Soul said:
    You two fight on every thread? :lol:
    It's not fighting, but yeah, I very strongly disagree with almost everything Meltdown says and will not back away from expressing why. I think the majority of his posts are willfully......
    A definition of internet fighting :lol:
    I don’t read any of it... but a quick scroll of all the four letterwords and exclamation points are entertaining 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:

I can think of lots of reasons.
    i lived about 4-5 minute drive from my first real job. I biked a couple times, but drove 95% of the ttime because I was tired of getting to work all sweaty since it was very hilly on the commute.
    This was San Diego, so weather wasn’t an issue, but it would be now. Colorado if it isn’t below freezing then there’s probably a high risk of thunderstorms. 
    I would t even think to ask someone why they don’t bike
    You wouldn't even think to ask someone why they don't bike because you're not a cyclist. Why shouldn't I ask? It's not like it's a particularly personal issue. And I already know that PJPOWER is in Texas, not Colorado (not that there aren't a ton of cyclists in Colorado). Plus, I said "walk or cycle"; most people can walk in a lot of different types of weather, even if they don't want to cycle.

I thought about commuting by bike for years before I started. I had tons of excuses why I couldn't - it would take too long and I'm already rushed enough, I have to look professional at work so I didn't want to arrive sweaty or soaking wet from the rain, it would be too hard, it's would be too difficult on the days that I have to work at more than one site, it rains here about half the year..... I eventually decided I was sick of making excuses so I would just try it out with one day a week. After three weeks it was going so well I moved it up to two days a week, then four, then within three months to all five. I found that it doesn't really take much longer than driving would, and it is super convenient if I stop to run errands or go to the gym after work, because I don't have to find and pay for parking. Yeah, I get rained on half the year, but so what; I'm washable, and I change when I get to work. There are just tons of benefits for my physical, mental and financial health, and I'm not polluting the environment at the same time. I always encourage people to give it a try for a few days rather than just writing it off. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,153
    What does biking to work have to do with $15 min wage?
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Well, about as much as driverless cars, but it’s much easier to afford on a $15/hour wage ;)
  • Options
    Well, about as much as driverless cars, but it’s much easier to afford on a $15/hour wage ;)
    Depending on where you live evidently...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    Depending on where you live evidently...

Well, I'm pretty sure that in almost any location, riding a bike is cheaper than getting a driverless car.