Options

$15 minimum wage

Comments

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    brianlux said:
    Tipping: it's kind of strange and confusing custom, isn't it?  I do OK with the math but some people have difficulty with it.  And there is no set percentage or pre- or post-tax standard.  Some say 15%, some say 20%.  Some say before tax, some say after.  Seems to me it would be a whole lot easier if people were paid a decent wage for the work they do and they either perform well enough to maintain their job, or very well enough to be promoted, or poorly enough to be let go. 

I'm kidding (sort of) when I say this, but I think this is yet another example of how left brained people like to manipulate how the world is run.  But then I'm a bit more right brained, so I could be full of water color, stream of consciousness and guitar feedback.
    Completely agree.
    Not only is how much we tip not a standard across the board as you pointed out, but who and why we tip doesn’t make sense to me. And I’m not clear on even when is tipping expected. Do I tip the restaurant that has me order at the counter and call my name when it’s ready? They ask me for a tip when I place my order.
    We tip taxis, food industry, tour guides, hotel staff and many many others. But I doubt anyone tips their dr when they make a life-saving diagnosis, or a cop or fireman that risks his life to save yours.
    As a teacher I’ve never once been tipped, butnparents sure expect me to use my own personal time to tutor that kids (which I often do) that would cost $50 through an average company. But I did have a parent complain to admin that I was not available at 5:30 on a Friday (school got out at 3:20). 
    Tipping makes no sense to me. Don’t get me wrong, I tip what I believe is expected, I just don’t get the logic behind it.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,757
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Tipping: it's kind of strange and confusing custom, isn't it?  I do OK with the math but some people have difficulty with it.  And there is no set percentage or pre- or post-tax standard.  Some say 15%, some say 20%.  Some say before tax, some say after.  Seems to me it would be a whole lot easier if people were paid a decent wage for the work they do and they either perform well enough to maintain their job, or very well enough to be promoted, or poorly enough to be let go. 

I'm kidding (sort of) when I say this, but I think this is yet another example of how left brained people like to manipulate how the world is run.  But then I'm a bit more right brained, so I could be full of water color, stream of consciousness and guitar feedback.
    Completely agree.
    Not only is how much we tip not a standard across the board as you pointed out, but who and why we tip doesn’t make sense to me. And I’m not clear on even when is tipping expected. Do I tip the restaurant that has me order at the counter and call my name when it’s ready? They ask me for a tip when I place my order.
    We tip taxis, food industry, tour guides, hotel staff and many many others. But I doubt anyone tips their dr when they make a life-saving diagnosis, or a cop or fireman that risks his life to save yours.
    As a teacher I’ve never once been tipped, butnparents sure expect me to use my own personal time to tutor that kids (which I often do) that would cost $50 through an average company. But I did have a parent complain to admin that I was not available at 5:30 on a Friday (school got out at 3:20). 
    Tipping makes no sense to me. Don’t get me wrong, I tip what I believe is expected, I just don’t get the logic behind it.
    Well said, Mace.  It's a bit confusing at times.

And I too tip because I get that the tip money is part of the employees' wages. 

It must kind of suck to be under pressure to make wages that rely on tips as well.   It's hard enough when you're self-employed and trying to generate income that is not consistent but when you have to do that at the whims of an increasingly difficult to deal with species-- the public-- that's got to be seriously stressful sometimes.  I'd rather know what my pay is going to be at the end of the day and know that my rewards for hard work will come in raises or promotions like they do in any other job. 

And I'm also curious as to what's up with tip jars showing up at so many counters where they once were not seen.  Is there justification for this and if so, when and why?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    Check that I messed up: I tip based on the total bill after taxes. No clue why I said that. I am a 20% standard and 25% for exceptional service. And I usually throw 30% for breakfast since it is so inexpensive. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,120
    edited July 2018
    I tip whatever I feel is appropriate based on the cost and the service.  I honestly couldn't tell you if it pre-tax, post-tax and I'm sure it varies.  

I want to know where you all go for breakfast ;)

Post edited by cincybearcat on
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I would feel cheap worrying about tax when tipping on a good meal with good service.  Not saying it's wrong, but I would feel like a cheap and petty nigard.  
    You get a 50$ food bill, your dine-in tax is, what, 10%?  So that's 5 dollars that you aren't tipping, you just saved a dollar.  Whoop. Dee. Fucking. Doo. 
    That would make me feel cheap and I'd want to give that server the extra dollar just out of the guilt of pettiness.

Now, if you go 5 star or treat the whole family and your bill is a few hundred dollars, that's a different story, but what's another 10$-20$ on top of a bill that large anyways?  I'd still feel cheap lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I must say though, in terms of philosophy, I agree with not tipping the tax.  It makes sense not to, but I couldn't do it.
    I will never be rich because I have a wacky belief (more like just a feeling in my gut) that being cheap, stingy, or greedy comes back to bite you in a karmic kind of way.

For instance, I never save roaches anymore, I feel like the universe might make the next bud hard to find if I quibble over a little bit of burnt remnants.  I toss them and hope that somehow that act promotes good will.  If I thought too hard about it I could make the same argument about being wasteful lol

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Wouldn't make feel cheap.  The waiter/waitress is getting 20-25 dollar tip on a meal.  Thats not to shabby ...

In Ontario many are no longer tipping since minimum wage climbed to  too 14/hour.  That's a fair wage.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,555
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Completely agree.
    You're  right teachers  don't  get tipped.

But I have seen for myself how at holiday time and the end of the year, teachers at a Boulder Valley
     K-8 get upwards of a $1000+ in gift cards from REI, Target, Starbucks, etc. from their students/families.
     That's an extra 2 grand a year plus. Not a 15-20% gratuity but still a tidy little bonus for the teachers.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Completely agree.

But I have seen for myself how at holiday time and the end of the year, teachers at a Boulder Valley
     K-8 get upwards of a $1000+ in gift cards from REI, Target, Starbucks, etc. from their students/families.
     That's an extra 2 grand a year plus. Not a 15-20% gratuity but still a tidy little bonus for the teachers.
    daaaaaaaaaamn.  I get a few dunkin doughnuts gift cards around the holidays.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,016
    edited July 2018
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Completely agree.

Totally depends where you work. I know teachers in high end area that maybe get a few hundred bucks at Christmas time, not $1000, but I’m sure somewhere it happens.
    But one, that’s different than tipping. It’s a present for the holidays. The parents usually aren’t giving them because we stayed an extra hour working with their kid, it’s just a holiday present. Usually from the best kids in class who they rarely have to put extra effort in.
    But most teachers are like myself, work in average or below average districts and don’t get that. In 12 years I’ve only had 1 gift card. It was $25 for JC Penney my second year teaching. I’ll get home baked cookies and treats as holiday presents. Often handed to me with bare hands so the sanitary conditions are questionable, but I always appreciate the gesture.
    But I wouldn’t call those tips.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Completely agree.

Here in NY it is customary too tip everyone or so it seems...

Postman, fedex guy, garbage man.  Especially the garbage man.  You tip them and it is a game changer!!!  They also don't forget is you are cheap.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

Completely agree.

Here in NY it is customary too tip everyone or so it seems...

Postman, fedex guy, garbage man.  Especially the garbage man.  You tip them and it is a game changer!!!  They also don't forget is you are cheap.
    Super annoying. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    I usually tip a minimum of $5 or 20% - whichever is higher - on the total bill including tax.  The waiter's or waitress' or bartender's tips also get taxed on their dinky $2.11/hour paycheck by the government.  If taxation is theft, then I think it's only fair to make it up to the person being robbed.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,858
    my2hands said:

speaking of no knowledge of economics.... minimum wage, no matter the amount, has zero to do with automation and AI

it would be happening if labor was $1 per hour, nice try though

Ummmmm how does it have nothing to do with wage? There comes a point where the cost of automation becomes affordable compared to the cost of wages. If wages are lower than the cost of automation, companies won’t install machines.  
    Automation still is profitable regardless of wage.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I'm not going to bad mouth anyone for using an automated bank teller or automated grocery check out but I don't.  A few times, tellers at my bank encouraged me to use the auto teller (I'm guessing they were being instructed to say that).  I told them, "I'd rather deal with a real person, you.  Plus, if I use the auto teller, I'm helping your job to become obsolete.  You don't want that, do you?"  They know me well enough to ask anymore.  Same in the grocery store.  It's a local business with good, friendly local employees.  I'm not happy that the owners put in auto check out lines.  I don't sue them. 
    I always use automated checkouts and atms, etc. mostly because the people doing those jobs before made me really want a machine to do it instead. 
    and you are paying more for less anyway. automated use should garner lower prices for those who use them.

went to get a half gallon of breyers ice cream last week. paid the same or more for a quart and a half instead.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    my2hands said:

speaking of no knowledge of economics.... minimum wage, no matter the amount, has zero to do with automation and AI

Ummmmm how does it have nothing to do with wage? There comes a point where the cost of automation becomes affordable compared to the cost of wages. If wages are lower than the cost of automation, companies won’t install machines.  
    How so?  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    my2hands said:

How so?  
    overtime the tech itself is cheaper for a start as it scales up and is proven capable.

15 an hr is in a select few places. here in ohio mcdonalds already has auto in all places in the store. grill, fries, drinks, now ordering.

minimum here remains 7.25 BUT they do pay more to get and keep people. think I recall seeing 10 or so. So not being forced into a higher wage is still implementing automation.

• Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,148
    unsung said:
    I pay all my restaurant staff $12/hr to start, servers, bussers, kitchen, hostess, all. I have a few who have been with me for over 5 years, they get $1 raise a year, no more no less.  I don’t offer any benefits at all though, which really sucks, but I’ve been looking into
    doing it.  Then we pool all tips and I installed new pos systems a few months ago that prompt guests to add a tip or for the check at the table it prints out what 10/15/20% equates to.  We also have an incentive plan where I use stats and comp figures to determine a gross sales goal for the month, and if we reach it we split all the extra equally among the staff.  It’s a hard number to reach, but that’s the point- it’s an incentive for them to do their best and we’ve hit it 4 times in the last few years so they all got a big chunk of extra cash.  My staff hasn’t been happier, tips have gone up probably 40%.  The longer tenured folks are making almost 20/hour to do a pretty damn easy job.  It’s worked out great- when I decided to pay 12 to start though it was after getting sick and tired of shitty employees and high turnover.  I have less staff who are more qualified now- I downsized from 40 or so total to 25 or so now.

so we upgraded technology, let go 1/3 of my total employees, added some incentives and paid a lot more per hour and things are smooth.
    I've found the tip calc is often wrong.  Have you ever checked yours?
    I haven’t! I’m going to check it out today.  The POS is made by Square and so far the thing is fantastic, but I’ll check it out to see, thanks!
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,575
    unsung said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Minimum wage should be based on local economics only. Each local government should be determining it within their city/municipal lines, and they should HAVE to base it on a set cost of living calculation that is determined and enforced by the provincial (or state) government, and based on local economic statistics. That is really the only truly fair system that I can think of.
    I agree.

Now what if it was set to $1/hr?  Or none at all?
    I don't know why you're asking that.... Why would it be $1/hr or none at all?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Automation is coming no matter what, in many forms, faster than most think... eventually it will be the more affordable option no matter how low wages are

I don't get paid to drive my car, but that will be automated soon enough

I doubt it. ... I was told back in the 70's I'd have my own personnel jet pack ... I'm still waiting.
    Oh yeah? Who told you that? A 70s authority on jet pack development? :lol:
    Automation is obviously happening already and actual reality informs us that it's moving forward - it's not an opinion but a fact..... Come on now, you didn't actually have any kind of real point in that comment, right? Just a joke, yeah? 
    I took the talk of jetpacks about as serious as I do driverless.  They'll never be made for the masses, they mostly appeal to lazy people or bad drivers...

I don't know if you're just trying to kind of troll here, or if you genuinely believe that. If the latter, you must be extremely misinformed. Why in the world would you compare the fantasy jetpack talk and the reality of driverless technology, which is currently being tested and is really happening? And why would you equate the two in any way in the first place? The two technologies have nothing to do with each other, in terms of practicality, viability, safety, corporate intent, etc, not to mention the potential roles each would have in the economy. You're fooling yourself if you think driverless technology isn't going to flourish. It is SO much cheaper for corporations in the long run, so even dismissing the insane positive impact it would have on road safety, there is no way a feasible technology that saves money for corporations won't take hold as soon as possible. And your idea about driverless technology mostly appealing to lazy people or bad drivers... well, that's just a dumb thing to say.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Jeez the tip thing got heated in here- I haven’t even read the last two pages but I should say that when a guest asks to add 10% or something to a called-in catering order for down the road but want to pay over your phone, I always make the tip off of what the pre tax total is.

as for the register question, the POS system prompts for a tip AFTER the guest has paid, and for anything under $10 it just prompts them for $1, $2 or “custom.”  For anything over, it makes the percentage based on what they already paid “pre tax.”  As for the sit down guest, the recommended %’s are printed on the check based on the pre-tax total.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    my2hands said:

How so?  
    overtime the tech itself is cheaper for a start as it scales up and is proven capable.

15 an hr is in a select few places. here in ohio mcdonalds already has auto in all places in the store. grill, fries, drinks, now ordering.

minimum here remains 7.25 BUT they do pay more to get and keep people. think I recall seeing 10 or so. So not being forced into a higher wage is still implementing automation.
    You do realize that when you say "overtime the tech itself is cheaper for a start as it scales up and is proven capable" means that as soon as it is cheap enough compared to the alternative (which is human...which is wages/benefits).  And, if you raise minimum wage, you make automation more affordable sooner.  

I'm not debating the need for or against higher min wage here, just the facts associated with automation being related to wages/benefits.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

Automation is coming no matter what, in many forms, faster than most think... eventually it will be the more affordable option no matter how low wages are

I doubt it. ... I was told back in the 70's I'd have my own personnel jet pack ... I'm still waiting.
    Automation is obviously happening already and actual reality informs us that it's moving forward - it's not an opinion but a fact..... Come on now, you didn't actually have any kind of real point in that comment, right? Just a joke, yeah? 
    @pjsoul

Jet suit on sale at Selfridges makes anyone into Iron Man for $592K

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/selfridges-jet-suit-iron-man-1.4753653?cmp=FB_Post_News

Uh ... teach you to laugh at me again.  It took a few decades but there here.  only 592k
    Uh, yeah, everyone already knows about the novelty jet pack technologies. They've been wowing crowds with dudes flying in on jetpacks for decades at Olympics and World Fairs and shit. These kinds of things are featured as a curiosity on the news all the time. It's fun. It's also developed and presented as toys for rich people, and no one has ever once suggested any of it was being developed as a regular mode of transportation, lol. But you talk about it as though it's somehow comparable to innovation in mass transit, which is clearly ridiculous.
  • Options
    Jeez the tip thing got heated in here- I haven’t even read the last two pages but I should say that when a guest asks to add 10% or something to a called-in catering order for down the road but want to pay over your phone, I always make the tip off of what the pre tax total is.

as for the register question, the POS system prompts for a tip AFTER the guest has paid, and for anything under $10 it just prompts them for $1, $2 or “custom.”  For anything over, it makes the percentage based on what they already paid “pre tax.”  As for the sit down guest, the recommended %’s are printed on the check based on the pre-tax total.
    I'm assuming you don't have much confidence is you system since you keep calling it a Piece of Shit.  ;)
  • Options

Yes, things can sometimes get heated in a bit...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

@pjsoul

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/selfridges-jet-suit-iron-man-1.4753653?cmp=FB_Post_News

Uh ... teach you to laugh at me again.  It took a few decades but there here.  only 592k
    Uh, yeah, everyone already knows about the novelty jet pack technologies. They've been wowing crowds with dudes flying in on jetpacks for decades at Olympics and World Fairs and shit. These kinds of things are featured as a curiosity on the news all the time. It's fun. It's also developed and presented as toys for rich people, and no one has ever once suggested any of it was being developed as a regular mode of transportation, lol. But you talk about it as though it's somehow comparable to innovation in mass transit, which is clearly ridiculous.
    LMFAO....
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    my2hands said:
    my2hands said:

@pjsoul

LMFAO....
    What are you laughing about?
  • Options
    While on the driverless car thing- do you think implementation would have to be all or nothing? I mean, can you have drivers driving cars as well as automated driverless cars on the same roads?  I don’t know why the hell im asking actually but for some reason I assumed that when/if this takes effect, all cars will be driverless- just seems screwed up to have some vehicles operating with human error and others not.  

I was thinking basic timeline for this and was like well they’re still selling regular cars that last 15 years or so so it’s at least that far out...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,053
    Don't do the tax as tip.  Some places the taxes are cheaper and the server gets cheated.

If it's good service round your bill off and times it by 2.  That should be the tip.

Example:

Bill is $138.45
    Round to $140.00.

140x2= 280

Tip should be $28.00

Total is $166.28
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    While on the driverless car thing- do you think implementation would have to be all or nothing? I mean, can you have drivers driving cars as well as automated driverless cars on the same roads?  I don’t know why the hell im asking actually but for some reason I assumed that when/if this takes effect, all cars will be driverless- just seems screwed up to have some vehicles operating with human error and others not.  

I was thinking basic timeline for this and was like well they’re still selling regular cars that last 15 years or so so it’s at least that far out...
    I think car manufacturers are likely to just stop making them at some point, and when that happens, driving a non-driverless car in driverless traffic may end up being impossible or even illegal. And when I'm talking about such vast changes as this, my mind is going forward decades. I don't expect a switch of 100% driverless in most of our lifetimes, but your kids are likely see it. It will be no easy feat to transition to totally driverless - the infrastructure changes needed alone will keep this from happening quickly. But it will happen IMO. It's the only logical step, frankly. It is just so much more cost efficient, so much safer, and so much cheaper for corporations. Obviously private corporations are likely to lead the charge here, because driverless transportation of goods is so much in their best interests economically. The private market will follow. Right now, the very next step is going electric, now that car manufacturers are starting to make plans to stop making gas cars.