Options

$15 minimum wage

Comments

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    None of the people on these forums will likely be alive when/IF driverless car technology ever reach the masses.  No, government will not ban people from driving ... and ANYONE who wants a ban on people driving can move to China.  Quit giving so much control to government.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,654
    edited July 2018
    None of the people on these forums will likely be alive when/IF driverless car technology ever reach the masses.  No, government will not ban people from driving ... and ANYONE who wants a ban on people driving can move to China.  Quit giving so much control to government.
    If driving is deemed dangerous in a driverless system, the government absolutely will ban it. Public safety trumps individual rights every time. It does now and it will continue to do so. It's simply about transportation technology and infrastructure combined with public safety, just like it works now. This really doesn't have any impact at all on the level of the government's control. There are plenty of vehicles that you can't legally drive on our roads now.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,261
    PJ_Soul said:
    If driving is deemed dangerous in a driverless system, the government absolutely will ban it. Public safety trumps individual rights every time. It does now and it will continue to do so. It's simply about transportation technology and infrastructure combined with public safety, just like it works now. This really doesn't have any impact at all on the level of the government's control. There are plenty of vehicles that you can't legally drive on our roads now.
    I can't imagine a society where we have banned people from driving but 2A is still be used to advocate for every last person's right to own a gun. That Braveheart line would need a re-working..."They may take away our cars, but they'll never take our guns!"
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    Watch that kids movie Wall.E

That is what the world will become eventually.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    PJ_Soul said:
    My brother and I had this debate the last few times we saw each other.
    What you said is true only to some extent. Safety will trump individual rights, but slowly and within reason. What I mean is if they came out with a driverless car today that was 100% safe, zero chance for any accident, and even cured cancer while you drive, there would still be driver cars for decades.
    The reason is not everyone can go out and buy one, and the government knows that. The people who buy a 1985 Honda for $300 and drive it until it does because that’s all they can afford won’t have the option to go driverless.
    The people who just invested 80k into a new top of the model family car won’t accept a ban on their new car.
    There may be a point where driver cars are banned, but it won’t be in my lifetime.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    mace1229 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    My brother and I had this debate the last few times we saw each other.
    What you said is true only to some extent. Safety will trump individual rights, but slowly and within reason. What I mean is if they came out with a driverless car today that was 100% safe, zero chance for any accident, and even cured cancer while you drive, there would still be driver cars for decades.
    The reason is not everyone can go out and buy one, and the government knows that. The people who buy a 1985 Honda for $300 and drive it until it does because that’s all they can afford won’t have the option to go driverless.
    The people who just invested 80k into a new top of the model family car won’t accept a ban on their new car.
    There may be a point where driver cars are banned, but it won’t be in my lifetime.
    Of course such a change won't happen quickly, as I specifically stated in my other post. :) But it will happen, barring a huge slide backwards for civilization in general of course. If Western civilization takes a huge tumble due to natural or man-made catastrophe(s), then the game changes, obviously, and we'll be lucky to find a gallon of gas to put in a scavenged 1981 Honda Civic while we keep trying to outrun the cannibal hordes, lol.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Quit giving governnment control over your life...

I will not give up DRIVING...I happen to enjoy getting in my jeep and going for nice drive every once in while.  My wheels is my freedom...

Yes, many people die in traffic accidents daily ... thats a risk us drivers are willing to take.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

Watch that kids movie Wall.E

That is what the world will become eventually.
    I have to look for that movie.  Thanks for the tip.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    When electric cars are available to masses, then maybe driverless cars cab enter the discussion.  Neither will reach the masses in our lifetime.  The major auto companies are not exactly pumping out electric vehicles...why?  because, unlike Tesla they know they can not reach the masses affordably without the government subsidies...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    When electric cars are available to masses, then maybe driverless cars cab enter the discussion.  Neither will reach the masses in our lifetime.  The major auto companies are not exactly pumping out electric vehicles...why?  because, unlike Tesla they know they can not reach the masses affordably without the government subsidies...
      Electriccars will absolutely reach the masses in our lifetime (unless you are a lot older than I think you are!). Car manufacturers are already beginning to plan the end of gas vehicle production - some of the first major companies will be done with them within 5 years from now. Change happens fast sometimes. Imagine what the people with the horses and buggies were thinking about cars. Probably about the same thing you're saying about electric cars and driverless. But how soon after the model-T came to be did cars become ubiquitous? About 20 years.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:

I will not give up DRIVING...I happen to enjoy getting in my jeep and going for nice drive every once in while.  My wheels is my freedom...

Yes, many people die in traffic accidents daily ... thats a risk us drivers are willing to take.
    I don't give a flying fuck if you enjoy driving. That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed riding horses everywhere back in 1897 too, but that didn't stop cars from coming along. And I don't know what in the world you think driverless is all about, but it certainly doesn't limit your freedom. But in any case, that part of your thinking is completely moot. We've already established that a complete take-over by driverless technology is too far down the road for your feelings about driving to matter to a single soul.
    Driverless isn't only about safety. It is also about congestion. In fact, that is the MAIN purpose of driverless. Once driverless takes over, traffic jams will essentially be a thing of the past. And given how fast the world's population is growing and is expected to grow, that is going to be a literal necessity.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't give a flying fuck if you enjoy driving. That has absolutely nothing to do with anything. I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed riding horses everywhere back in 1897 too, but that didn't stop cars from coming along. And I don't know what in the world you think driverless is all about, but it certainly doesn't limit your freedom. But in any case, that part of your thinking is completely moot. We've already established that a complete take-over by driverless technology is too far down the road for your feelings about driving to matter to a single soul.
    Driverless isn't only about safety. It is also about congestion. In fact, that is the MAIN purpose of driverless. Once driverless takes over, traffic jams will essentially be a thing of the past. And given how fast the world's population is growing and is expected to grow, that is going to be a literal necessity.
    And I don't give a rats ass about people like you who want to turn control over their life to politicians like fluff.  Quit relying on the government to make decisions for you...and your horse analogy is fucking stupid.  Who the fuck would choose a horse over a heated car in Canada'a winter...only a fool or out of necessity (like ranchers).  You want rid of congestion quit inviting everyone in through fluffs open border policy...people cause congestion.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

And I don't give a rats ass about people like you who want to turn control over their life to politicians like fluff.  Quit relying on the government to make decisions for you...and your horse analogy is fucking stupid.  Who the fuck would choose a horse over a heated car in Canada'a winter...only a fool or out of necessity (like ranchers).  You want rid of congestion quit inviting everyone in through fluffs open border policy...people cause congestion.
    :lol: What are you talking about with this government control bullshit? The government actually has nothing to do with it beyond following the lead of private corporations man. The government will simply make what private corporations will drive feasible by funding infrastructure and creating generally common sense laws to match the reality of change. It will just be the same as when cars came along - the cars were made, people bought them, it became more popular, and THEN government came along to facilitate it with a road infrastructure and some traffic laws.
    My analogy may sound stupid, but it is factually based. There was a LOT of kickback when cars came along. People JUST LIKE YOU were against the rise of the automobile. Their minds were not open to change. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    You two fight on every thread? :lol:
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,119
    They are crushing hard ;)

hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    RoleModelsinBlood31RoleModelsinBlood31 Austin TX Posts: 6,150
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

:lol: What are you talking about with this government control bullshit? The government actually has nothing to do with it beyond following the lead of private corporations man. The government will simply make what private corporations will drive feasible by funding infrastructure and creating generally common sense laws to match the reality of change. It will just be the same as when cars came along - the cars were made, people bought them, it became more popular, and THEN government came along to facilitate it with a road infrastructure and some traffic laws.
    My analogy may sound stupid, but it is factually based. There was a LOT of kickback when cars came along. People JUST LIKE YOU were against the rise of the automobile. Their minds were not open to change. 
    Quoting yourself is a sign that you should stop drinking:)
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, lay off the booze.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,772
    Interesting discussion about driver-less vehicles.  My own take is that (at least in America, if not some other countries) we are super addicted to driving.  Why else would such a high percentage of cars have single drivers?  If the government tired to ban driving, we would see a shit storm of rioting and protest like this country has never seen before.  I honestly believe that.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,102
    They are crushing hard ;)

Soul likes to argue.  I love that!
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Interesting discussion about driver-less vehicles.  My own take is that (at least in America, if not some other countries) we are super addicted to driving.  Why else would such a high percentage of cars have single drivers?  If the government tired to ban driving, we would see a shit storm of rioting and protest like this country has never seen before.  I honestly believe that.
    I agree wth a 100%.  The automobile culture in Canada and States is alive and welI. I myself would never give up my right to drive.  However, this discussion is moot, I doubt any of us will be around to see driverless car take hold in any meaningful way.
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    I agree wth a 100%.  The automobile culture in Canada and States is alive and welI. I myself would never give up my right to drive.  However, this discussion is moot, I doubt any of us will be around to see driverless car take hold in any meaningful way.
    Most of the automotive culture is centered around freedom to “hit the open road” and exploring roads less traveled.  Many agricultural tasks could not be done by driverless cars.  I do not foresee people giving up their driving privileges any time soon.  If anything, driverless car manufacturers are going to have to adapt to sharing the road a majority of actual drivers, not the other way around.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,678
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Most of the automotive culture is centered around freedom to “hit the open road” and exploring roads less traveled.  Many agricultural tasks could not be done by driverless cars.  I do not foresee people giving up their driving privileges any time soon.  If anything, driverless car manufacturers are going to have to adapt to sharing the road a majority of actual drivers, not the other way around.
    Tell that to the GPS guided combines. Just a matter of time before agriculture is harvested via roomba or iRobot. Autonomous dexterity is improving by leaps and bounds.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited July 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Tell that to the GPS guided combines. Just a matter of time before agriculture is harvested via roomba or iRobot. Autonomous dexterity is improving by leaps and bounds.
    There are a ton of agricultural tasks that would likely never be able to be accomplished by automated vehicles.  Hell, some people still even use horses for them even though cars have been around for 100 years.  Maybe once artificially intelligent robots start taking over every aspect of our lives, but does anyone really want that?
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    The unemployment rate is so low you shouldn’t have problems finding a $15 / hr as long as you show up every day and are reliable.  There are help wanted signs everywhere.  It’s a workers market right now. 
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    It's not fighting, but yeah, I very strongly disagree with almost everything Meltdown says and will not back away from expressing why. I think the majority of his posts are willfully ignorant.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

I don't understand what this means.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,420
    Nowhere in my area starts you anywhere close to $15/hr.  Maryland minimum is $10.10 and you'd be hard-pressed a find a penny more.  It is still higher than the Federal min and higher than most states (including $8.75 in bordering WV, $8.25 in DE, $7.25 in PA/VA), but still not a livable wage.  And that's the problem with minimum wage - it's not the minimum a person can live off of, it's the minimum that business owners & corporate CEOs have figured out they can get away with paying you while lining their greedy pockets.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    brianlux said:
    But that isn't how it would work at all. The government is not going to "try to ban driving" all of a sudden, while people are not prepared for it in the least, to the point where everyone would freak out, lol. I don't understand how either of you got this fantasy in your heads. The technology and capability will come first, and gradually. The government will just step in when forced to by private enterprise and consumer behaviour in order to keep traffic moving - as a transit authority, just as does now. That is why this whole "government control" crap is so dumb. Government control has absolutely nothing to do with it - no more than government control is at play when you're stopped at a red light anyway.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    brianlux said:
    But that isn't how it would work at all. The government is not going to "try to ban driving" all of a sudden, while people are not prepared for it. I don't understand how either of you got this fantasy in your heads. The technology and capability will come first, The government will just step in when forced to by private enterprise and consumer behaviour. That is why this whole "government control" crap is so dumb. Government control has absolutely nothing to do with it - no more than government control is at play when you're stopped at a red light.
    I am certainly not going to worry about something that will not reach the masses in my lifetime...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Of course driverless will start out sharing the road with drivers - that's not a guess. That is already what's happening; remember that driverless cars are already being tested on the roads, and many companies are looking into driverless trucking with great interest. This is obviously a very gradual change. And I disagree completely about the agricultural aspect. I think such industries, along with the transportation industry in general, will be the most eager to swith over as technology allows them to.