Wildlife Around Your Home (post pics if you've got 'em!)

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Lotusland Posts: 6,905
    Not my home, but on a weekend trip to the NC mountains. 

Wow!  All three are beautiful.  
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Pure luck that I had my phone with me to get that shot. The bush had about 20 of them, but those were the only ones that cooperated by staying still.
  • guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    This pic was taken from my 3rd floor balcony in Frisco Colorado this April
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,594
    Very nice!  And what a great place to live- marvelous!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Pure luck that I had my phone with me to get that shot. The bush had about 20 of them, but those were the only ones that cooperated by staying still.
    Sweet!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

Stunning scenery.  That shot is picture postcard perfect.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    That's a great picture, joe!
  • PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    Found this little fella snacking on pollinators!
  • wasa1971wasa1971 Calgary, Canada Posts: 2,144
    ^
    What is it? Looks like he’s got a smile  =)
    wasa1971 said:
    ^
    What is it? Looks like he’s got a smile  =)
    Not sure what kind of spider it is, maybe a small orb weaver?  Never seen one just like it before.  It would just hold its legs out like it was waiting to grab a passerby :)

• brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • My bee hotel.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    My bee hotel.  
    I am a fan of the Nasturtiums as well :). I recently started growing them in my garden and wish I had been for years!
    PJPOWER said:
    My bee hotel.  
    I am a fan of the Nasturtiums as well :). I recently started growing them in my garden and wish I had been for years!
    And you can eat them!

brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    My bee hotel.  
    And you can eat them!
    I’ve heard that every part of them is edible, but haven’t tried them yet.  Just using them to keep the aphids controlled so far, but that looks tasty! 
  • They taste of pepper and are wonderful in salad. I ate the flower only. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

They taste of pepper and are wonderful in salad. I ate the flower only. 
    Thanks for the info :). I’ll give them a taste!
    Lovely pictures Rob.  I particularly love the sheep and the bee hotel ones.  They brought the biggest smile to my face.  Thank you.

and @PJPOWER I love the spider on the flower picture.  Both are so beautiful.

• This is a photo of a Water Moccasin a/k/a Cotton Mouth.  It is poisonous.  This was taken last October on "Snake Road."  It is a road in Southern Illinois in Shawnee National Forest that lies between the Mississippi bottom lands and a rock bluff.  In the Fall reptiles migrate from the slough (swamp) to the bluffs to hibernate.  In the Spring they leave the bluffs and head to the sloughs.  The Forest Service closes the road during these times to allow the reptiles to migrate safely.  You can walk the road but you can't drive on it.  It has become a very popular spot for wildlife observers and wildlife experts because of the diversity of reptiles here.  I will post a link below if I can figure out how to do it with the photo already posted.  http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/9-Days-On-Shawnee-National-Forests-Snake-Road-Of-Illinois/     I have yet to see the two species of Rattlesnakes here.  Hopefully on the next trip. 

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way it treats its animals. Ghandi
    ^^^ That is awesome.  Love to hear about the proactive steps that are taken to protect and preserve the natural fauna.
  • Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095

Flock of Turkeys

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

edited October 2019

A Mantis. Probably at the end of his life cycle. Typically, I think, they’re all green. About 7” 8 “ long, so pretty big.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• This is a photo of a Water Moccasin a/k/a Cotton Mouth.  It is poisonous.  This was taken last October on "Snake Road."  It is a road in Southern Illinois in Shawnee National Forest that lies between the Mississippi bottom lands and a rock bluff.  In the Fall reptiles migrate from the slough (swamp) to the bluffs to hibernate.  In the Spring they leave the bluffs and head to the sloughs.  The Forest Service closes the road during these times to allow the reptiles to migrate safely.  You can walk the road but you can't drive on it.  It has become a very popular spot for wildlife observers and wildlife experts because of the diversity of reptiles here.  I will post a link below if I can figure out how to do it with the photo already posted.  http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/9-Days-On-Shawnee-National-Forests-Snake-Road-Of-Illinois/     I have yet to see the two species of Rattlesnakes here.  Hopefully on the next trip. 

Might be Timber Ratters out there.  They get BIG!
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141
    These sons of bitches are destroying trees in my neck of the woods. Fuckers need to be eradicated. 

chinese-happy.jpg

• eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,711
    went to the movies around 4:15 and when i came out around 6:30 turned to my left and saw a few deer in the parking lot (which was kinda empty).  Sorry the pics aren't too great, the sun was setting and beginning to get dark. Looks like they were eating stuff on the ground.

Image may contain people standing night and outdoor

Image may contain sky and outdoor
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • rhanishanerhanishane NSW Australia Posts: 505
    Magpiesfeed your noisy babies.. made a huge mess of the spaghetti
    The magpies of AUS/NZ look so different from the magpies in the area where I grew up in western Canada.  I always loved them when I was growing up in the city, although I know that a lot of farmers do not like them.  My uncle had a tame one that would sit on his shoulder or on the table beside and visit with him.  They are a curious bird, much like the crows and ravens in the area where I currently live.

images from:  https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/bkbmag1/introduction

The magpies of AUS/NZ look so different from the magpies in the area where I grew up in western Canada.  I always loved them when I was growing up in the city, although I know that a lot of farmers do not like them.  My uncle had a tame one that would sit on his shoulder or on the table beside and visit with him.  They are a curious bird, much like the crows and ravens in the area where I currently live.

images from:  https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/bkbmag1/introduction

Interesting about your uncle. Are you saying it was a pet? 
    We had a neighbor when I was growing up who had two pet crows. They had their wings clipped or whatever so they wouldn’t fly away. They would just hang around in his yard, or hang out in his garage while he drank Pabst all day. Just a normal pet like a dog or cat. Funny too, he trained them to talk and they would actually swear, lol, I forgot exactly, but I think it was shit or fuck.