Ed at the Oscars

Comments

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,723
    Wobbie said:
    media whore.

what ever happened to eddie vedder?
    Media whore? 

Hoping for a reaction much? back under that bridge champ.....
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,941
    I don't know what criteria they use to determine who is mentioned and who is not. It seems like including people who wrote songs would open it up to a much larger pool of people, many of whom might be quite famous and would further distract from the lesser known names who worked on the production side of film. So I wasn't surprised to not see Petty or Cornell.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 529
    Is it just me, or does Jill Vedder look just like Liv Tyler?
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
  • Options
    helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    JimmyV said:
    I don't know what criteria they use to determine who is mentioned and who is not. It seems like including people who wrote songs would open it up to a much larger pool of people, many of whom might be quite famous and would further distract from the lesser known names who worked on the production side of film. So I wasn't surprised to not see Petty or Cornell.

• Options
    DM282158 said:
    Is it just me, or does Jill Vedder look just like Liv Tyler?
    Little bit, yes.

• Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,292
    edited March 2018
    JimmyV said:
    Definitely.   It's a show celebrates film.  Given they only have a few minutes to do that part of the show, I imagine they have to limit how many people can show up in that segment.    I would guess that most big musicians had a song or two appear on soundtracks over the years, it would probably open a can of worm's to open that door.    That's what the grammy's would be for?

On the other hand, Tom Petty was in The Postman, a piece of cinematic history :)
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,376
    I read elsewhere "to be mentioned you must have been an academy member".
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,552
    edited March 2018
    People watch the oscars? 

I would watch if they did a version called "The Oscars for movies people actually like"

That Jurassic Park or The Dark Night didn't win is just ridiculous.

Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    People watch the oscars? 

I would watch if they did a version called "The Oscars for movies people actually like"

I will admit that I had zero intention of watching until I found out Ed was playing.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    People watch the oscars? 

I like neither of those films.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    RYMERYME Wisconsin Posts: 1,904
    Wobbie said:
    media whore.

what ever happened to eddie vedder?
    If all's you're into is underground garage bands, then this is Not for You.
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,288
    Eddie at the vanity fair party post Oscars show :-) lol hes so short!

I think you meant to say: Wow, it's great that he is self-confident enough that he doesn't mind that his wife is a) taller than he is and b) likes to wear heels. :-)

Signed, another woman who's a bit taller than her man and still likes to wear heels. :-)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,078
    dankind said:
    People watch the oscars? 

I like neither of those films.
    Blasphemous...
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,116
    edited March 2018
    "Why didn't you just leave and go to Eastwoods car in the end..."
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Eddie at the vanity fair party post Oscars show :-) lol hes so short!

I think you meant to say: Wow, it's great that he is self-confident enough that he doesn't mind that his wife is a) taller than he is and b) likes to wear heels. :-)

Signed, another woman who's a bit taller than her man and still likes to wear heels. :-)

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,018
    surprised Cornell wasn't in the Memoriam, and oddly, neither was Tom. 
    Thought the exact same thing. But then at least they named Tom in the intro.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,640
    edited March 2018
    mace1229 said:
    I think this is because they were both already in the Grammys In Memoriam. No need for them to be in 2 of them.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    PJ_Soul said:
    mace1229 said:
    I think this is because they were both already in the Grammys In Memoriam. No need for them to be in 2 of them.
    so was chuck berry. one academy has nothing to do with other other, to my knowledge. but someone else mentioned, and it makes sense, to be mentioned you have to be an academy member. maybe chuck berry was a member?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    demetrios said:

I can’t explain it but this picture makes me feel things I’ve never felt before haha. 
    looking to hear of the earth
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    AO253126 said:
    its the oscars, not grammies 
    True, but Chris has contributed several original songs to films over the years. Not sure about Tom Petty though
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers wrote the entire soundtrack to She’s The One. Best soundtrack ever, in my opinion.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,883

People watch the oscars? 

Yeah, NO ONE liked "Get Out" or "The Shape of Water". :confused:

Jurassic Park was nominated for 3 Oscars in 1993 and won all 3

In 2009, The Dark Knight was nominated for 8 Oscars, winning 2.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    mfc2006 said:
    AO253126 said:
    its the oscars, not grammies 
    True, but Chris has contributed several original songs to films over the years. Not sure about Tom Petty though
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers wrote the entire soundtrack to She’s The One. Best soundtrack ever, in my opinion.
    Christopher Youngs soundtrack to Hellraiser is the best ever. I mean, come on now. 
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,215
    to use a sports analogy Ed is a big game player. Every time he has to perform in big settings he just nails it.  As a fan I actually get a bit of pride seeing him do so well in those settings.  Well done Ed.
  • Options
    green_girlgreen_girl Posts: 931
    Sorry, don't know how to embed!
    But here's Ed laughing at J Law who's pointing and laughing at Emma Stone:

He was seated; then he disappeared for a long time; then he sang; then he reappeared in his seat almost immediately... The man is magic many ways. (And gave my favorite performance of the night -- and I usually love This is Me, but...)
  • Options
    Nice that Lawrence can muster up a happy mood with her latest movie tanking at the BO.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,920
    pjhawks said:
    to use a sports analogy Ed is a big game player. Every time he has to perform in big settings he just nails it.  As a fan I actually get a bit of pride seeing him do so well in those settings.  Well done Ed.
    He's the derek jeter of the music world!  well said pjhawks.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,078
    mcgruff10 said:
    pjhawks said:
    He's the derek jeter of the music world!  well said pjhawks.
    He's definitely not DJ.  Jeter never gave you anything in an interview, lol.
  • Options
    Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,508
    I wish we were given some heads-up on this. Had no idea.
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • Options
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I wish we were given some heads-up on this. Had no idea.
    I'm so glad we weren't. Gave the complainers less time to complain.