Ed at the Oscars

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JimmyV said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I wish we were given some heads-up on this. Had no idea.
    I'm so glad we weren't. Gave the complainers less time to complain.
    abso-FUCKING-lutely
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• AO253126AO253126 Posts: 363
    mfc2006 said:
    AO253126 said:
    surprised Cornell wasn't in the Memoriam, and oddly, neither was Tom. 
    its the oscars, not grammies 
    True, but Chris has contributed several original songs to films over the years. Not sure about Tom Petty though
    Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers wrote the entire soundtrack to She’s The One. Best soundtrack ever, in my opinion.
    How could I forget about that one? I even bought the CD back in the day. It's one of two Tom Petty albums in my collection. Too bad the movie wasn't quite as good as the soundtrack.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    Vedd Hedd said:
    What would you have done if you knew beforehand?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,366
    mcgruff10 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    I would have watched it live.  
    Near to death.
    Here to die.
    Scared alive.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    Vedd Hedd said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    Live on a delay? lol 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,867
    Vedd Hedd said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    YouTube was the way to go. On demand whenever you want without having to wait around for almost the entire ceremony. You didn't miss anything by seeing it after the fact.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • KC138045KC138045 Columbus, OH Posts: 2,715
    JimmyV said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Vedd Hedd said:
    YouTube was the way to go. On demand whenever you want without having to wait around for almost the entire ceremony. You didn't miss anything by seeing it after the fact.
    Totally agree.  Eddie could of played the out music for every commercial break and I still wouldn't of watched the Oscars.
    Columbus-2000
    Columbus-2003
    Cincinnati-2006
    Columbus-2010
    Wrigley-2013
    Cincinnati-2014
    Lexington-2016
    Wrigley 1 & 2-2018
  • lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 612

I'm amazed at the level of anger and complaining I read coming from this. Makes me realize how toxic the internet and social media have become. Are people in general just miserable? This isn't 1995 Ed, deal with it. Some of us have evolved over 2 plus decades, some of us obviously haven't.

It was a great cover from an artist Ed respected and loved. Sorry he didn't tag it with a TOTD cover, or play a snippet of a song from every musician who's recently passed. This wasn't about Ed but rather those who passed in the film industry this past year. Ed can't win, I respect that he does what he feels is right and doesn't try to appease the 40 year old, still live in their parents basement demographic. If he had PJ would be an irrelevant night club act rather than selling out stadiums.

06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 

I'm amazed at the level of anger and complaining I read coming from this. Makes me realize how toxic the internet and social media have become. Are people in general just miserable? This isn't 1995 Ed, deal with it. Some of us have evolved over 2 plus decades, some of us obviously haven't.

It was a great cover from an artist Ed respected and loved. Sorry he didn't tag it with a TOTD cover, or play a snippet of a song from every musician who's recently passed. This wasn't about Ed but rather those who passed in the film industry this past year. Ed can't win, I respect that he does what he feels is right and doesn't try to appease the 40 year old, still live in their parents basement demographic. If he had PJ would be an irrelevant night club act rather than selling out stadiums.

Agreed. It's getting worse and worse. People are irrational and quick to anger. The internet has always been the wild west in a lot of ways but in the last year things have gotten much uglier, IMO.

• DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 893
    I think there is only one negative remark, maybe two in this thread? That's hardly a representation of the silent majority. Most , 99% of us are stoked to see our boy perform. Don't let the one guy get under your skin! 
    DEGBTI said:
    I think there is only one negative remark, maybe two in this thread? That's hardly a representation of the silent majority. Most , 99% of us are stoked to see our boy perform. Don't let the one guy get under your skin! 
    I don't mean here. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube...all ugly places. Facebook last night was filled with people who were angry Ed was playing the Oscars and people who were angry they were seeing posts about Ed playing the Oscars. Then came the people who were angry it wasn't a Chris Cornell tribute.

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,507
    Nice that Lawrence can muster up a happy mood with her latest movie tanking at the BO.
    Which movie was that? If you mean Mother!, it may not have done well at the box office (did anyone really expect a move like that to be a big money maker?), but it's a really good movie! She's probably proud of it.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175

The only way I would watch the Oscars is if a certain director and his wife were up for one.

Word up, E's!!!!

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 612
    JimmyV said:
    DEGBTI said:
    I don't mean here. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube...all ugly places. Facebook last night was filled with people who were angry Ed was playing the Oscars and people who were angry they were seeing posts about Ed playing the Oscars. Then came the people who were angry it wasn't a Chris Cornell tribute.
    Bingo, I found out about Ed's performance on Twitter this morning and couldn't believe the comments. You would have thought Ed did something really awful. Guy performs a song at the Oscars and he's public enemy #1. I need to get away from social media and reading the news throughout the day. It was something I wanted to start in '18 but haven't. This has finally pushed me over the top though, time to focus my energy on something more productive.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,362
    I agree, I quit about 3 years ago and stopped all social media.  But I do hit Reddit for the top BS news of the internet.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    DEGBTI said:
    And the one guy here was just a cranky old drunk. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,961
    dankind said:
    DEGBTI said:
    He is a curmudgeon, lol.  People that don't frequent on here don't know that though Dan.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,904
    PJ_Soul said:
    Nice that Lawrence can muster up a happy mood with her latest movie tanking at the BO.
    Which movie was that? If you mean Mother!, it may not have done well at the box office (did anyone really expect a move like that to be a big money maker?), but it's a really good movie! She's probably proud of it.
    I think SC meant Red Sparrow. 

Also I don't think JLaw gives a fuck. She's got critical credit and box office hits. She can coast the rest of her career. 

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    JimmyV said:
    DEGBTI said:
    Bingo, I found out about Ed's performance on Twitter this morning and couldn't believe the comments. You would have thought Ed did something really awful. Guy performs a song at the Oscars and he's public enemy #1. I need to get away from social media and reading the news throughout the day. It was something I wanted to start in '18 but haven't. This has finally pushed me over the top though, time to focus my energy on something more productive.
    No matter what Ed/PJ does now, there will ALWAYS be the "hypocrite! 27 year old Ed would hate Present Ed" bullshit. best just to ignore the people who irrationally live in the past. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• lolobugglolobugg BLUE RDGE MTNS Posts: 8,175
    dankind said:
    DEGBTI said:
    He is a curmudgeon, lol.  People that don't frequent on here don't know that though Dan.

People have got to realize that Wob was present during the birth of Jesus.

of course he is non-plussed about Ed at the Oscars.

livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=446

1995- New Orleans, LA  : New Orleans, LA

1996- Charleston, SC

1998- Atlanta, GA: Birmingham, AL: Greenville, SC: Knoxville, TN

2000- Atlanta, GA: New Orleans, LA: Memphis, TN: Nashville, TN

2003- Raleigh, NC: Charlotte, NC: Atlanta, GA

2004- Asheville, NC (hometown show)

2006- Cincinnati, OH

2008- Columbia, SC

2009- Chicago, IL x 2 / Ed Vedder- Atlanta, GA x 2

2010- Bristow, VA

2011- Alpine Valley, WI (PJ20) x 2 / Ed Vedder- Chicago, IL

2012- Atlanta, GA

2013- Charlotte, NC

2014- Cincinnati, OH

2015- New York, NY

2016- Greenville, SC: Hampton, VA:: Columbia, SC: Raleigh, NC : Lexington, KY: Philly, PA 2: (Wrigley) Chicago, IL x 2 (holy shit): Temple of the Dog- Philly, PA

2017- ED VED- Louisville, KY

2018- Chicago, IL x2, Boston, MA x2

2020- Nashville, TN 

2022- Smashville 

2023- Austin, TX x2

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,904
    JimmyV said:
    DEGBTI said:
    best just to ignore the people who irrationally live in the past. 
    This should be in the forum rules. 

• Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    I think I know who's complaining about Ed at the Oscars.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    JLaw is not a good actress. If you could win an award for overacting, she would win it regularly. Emma Stone is better. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,527
    edited March 2018
    JimmyV said:

Agreed. It's getting worse and worse. People are irrational and quick to anger. The internet has always been the wild west in a lot of ways but in the last year things have gotten much uglier, IMO.
    Everyone has gotten to know each other on the internet for 10 years and now we fight like family.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,731
    edited March 2018
    JimmyV said:

Everyone has gotten to know each other on the internet for 10 years and now we fight like family.
    This and people are getting more creative with their bait and trolling. Before a simple quote like PJ suxz would get hundreds of responses. Now people need to put some effort in to get a reaction. It is painful how many gullible people are out there and feed them though. Almost as painful as it is reading comments where people are trying to get a rise or start an argument just by posting something controversial whether they believe it or not.  
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,110
    MP59559 said:
    Wobbie said:
    media whore.

what ever happened to eddie vedder?
    I’m not really sure what this means but I’m guessing your bashing Ed for doing the oscars?
    Number one, why are you even here in the fan club? This should be a place of a positivity. I’ve never seen a fan club that has members that constantly hate on the band. You must just be one of those members who pay their fee just to get tickets and merchandise and flip them on ebay. 
    Number 2, Pearl Jam has evolved so much over the years it’s incredible. As a band and as individual artists. They all have separate carreers along with being part of one of the greatest bands in the world. Ed was asked to do this and I’m pretty sure it was an honour for him to sing a Tom Petty song, with Tom’s guitar, on that stage. Media whore??? Really??? Yup I’d put him right up there with the Kardashian’s.....get a life bro. 

Positivity, is that required by the 28th amendment?
    I think it's covered by the one commandment of the Church of Pearl Jam.

Wobbie said:
    media whore.

I’m not really sure what this means but I’m guessing your bashing Ed for doing the oscars?
    Number one, why are you even here in the fan club? This should be a place of a positivity. I’ve never seen a fan club that has members that constantly hate on the band. You must just be one of those members who pay their fee just to get tickets and merchandise and flip them on ebay. 
    Number 2, Pearl Jam has evolved so much over the years it’s incredible. As a band and as individual artists. They all have separate carreers along with being part of one of the greatest bands in the world. Ed was asked to do this and I’m pretty sure it was an honour for him to sing a Tom Petty song, with Tom’s guitar, on that stage. Media whore??? Really??? Yup I’d put him right up there with the Kardashian’s.....get a life bro..
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,110
    MP59559 said:
    Wobbie said:
    media whore.

Number 2, Pearl Jam has evolved so much over the years it’s incredible. As a band and as individual artists. They all have separate carreers along with being part of one of the greatest bands in the world. Ed was asked to do this and I’m pretty sure it was an honour for him to sing a Tom Petty song, with Tom’s guitar, on that stage. Media whore??? Really??? Yup I’d put him right up there with the Kardashian’s.....get a life bro. 

Positivity, is that required by the 28th amendment?
    I think it's covered by the one commandment of the Church of Pearl Jam.

I think that's why I was kicked out in '92   ';-)
  • HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,312
    Tom Petty has a SAG card. He’d need it in order to have been in that great Kevin Costner blockbuster, The Postman. Therefore, he should have been honored during the In Memoriam segment. 
    Btw, the movie is actually turrible.
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • DM282158DM282158 Beverly, MA Posts: 514
    Really like how they include all the “behind the scenes” professionals, not just the popular actors and actresses, in The Memoriam. Great performance by Eddie. Delicate and respectful. 
    Boston '06
    Mansfield '08
    Hartford '10
    Worcester, Hartford '13
    Global Citizen, NY '15
    Tom Petty has a SAG card. He’d need it in order to have been in that great Kevin Costner blockbuster, The Postman. Therefore, he should have been honored during the In Memoriam segment. 
    Btw, the movie is actually turrible.
    He was honored. They played his song and noted that he had passed.