Abortion-Keep Legal, Yes or No?

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    Well OK, let's get creative!
    May be an image of text that says STOP ABORTION AT THE SOURCE VASECTOMIES ARE REVERSIBLE Make every young man have one When hes deemed financially  emotionally fit to be a father it will be reversed Whats that Did the idea regulating a man s body make you uncomfortable THEN MIND YOUR CKING BUSINESS stephenszczerba

Actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea, haha.  Wouldn’t it be more similar if men were told they couldn’t have vasectomies, though?  No woman is forced to have the medical procedure that I’m aware of.  Would all men having vasectomies not be just another way of men controlling pregnancy on their own terms? 

Well, of course the meme isn't actually saying vasectomies should be mandated.  It's just implying that people who want to dictate what women should do with their own bodies should... well, the that line says it all!

Another one I heard goes something like:  Have you noticed that go can't get a tax deduction for fetuses because the government doesn't consider a fetus a person? 

Of course, then the right will want to make fetuses be persons.  Why not, right?  Corporations are persons.  In fact, I'm pretty sure my cat is a person.  I hope she lives to be voting age. 
    I get it, I was just being argumentative as usual :).  I hadn’t heard that one on the fetuses, but it does create a bit of a conundrum on the topic.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,725
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    May be an image of text that says STOP ABORTION AT THE SOURCE VASECTOMIES ARE REVERSIBLE Make every young man have one When hes deemed financially  emotionally fit to be a father it will be reversed Whats that Did the idea regulating a man s body make you uncomfortable THEN MIND YOUR CKING BUSINESS stephenszczerba

Actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea, haha.  Wouldn’t it be more similar if men were told they couldn’t have vasectomies, though?  No woman is forced to have the medical procedure that I’m aware of.  Would all men having vasectomies not be just another way of men controlling pregnancy on their own terms? 

Well, of course the meme isn't actually saying vasectomies should be mandated.  It's just implying that people who want to dictate what women should do with their own bodies should... well, the that line says it all!

Another one I heard goes something like:  Have you noticed that go can't get a tax deduction for fetuses because the government doesn't consider a fetus a person? 

Of course, then the right will want to make fetuses be persons.  Why not, right?  Corporations are persons.  In fact, I'm pretty sure my cat is a person.  I hope she lives to be voting age. 
    I get it, I was just being argumentative as usual :).  I hadn’t heard that one on the fetuses, but it does create a bit of a conundrum on the topic.

Oh gosh, no problem.  I didn't see it as an argument.  :smile:                 
    True,the subject of  fetuses is tricky.  Biologically, in its earliest stages, a fetus is basically a fish.  It actually has gill slits like a fish (see here*).  So if anti-abortionists are going to insist that life starts at conception, and are against "killing" that life by way of abortion, they sure as hell better not be eating fish, or at least if they do, confess their sins as murderers!

(* https://www.icr.org/article/does-human-embryo-go-through-animal-stages/  )                                                                                                            

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

True,the subject of  fetuses is tricky.  Biologically, in its earliest stages, a fetus is basically a fish.  It actually has gill slits like a fish (see here*).  So if anti-abortionists are going to insist that life starts at conception, and are against "killing" that life by way of abortion, they sure as hell better not be eating fish, or at least if they do, confess their sins as murderers!

Insisting that it begins at conception, and extending personhood to that moment, would make morning after/Plan B and other contraceptives akin to abortion, and therefore murder under the personhood statute.  That is significantly sooner than the current medical standard of the fetus in the womb, if I'm not mistaken. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

Insisting that it begins at conception, and extending personhood to that moment, would make morning after/Plan B and other contraceptives akin to abortion, and therefore murder under the personhood statute.  That is significantly sooner than the current medical standard of the fetus in the womb, if I'm not mistaken. 

That's sounds correct, M. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,611
    Joe Manchurian can go fuck himself. And I hope he gets pregnant.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    what i want to know is how can fucking missouri enforce a law that prohibits women from mo from going to other states to have an abortion. are they really saying women cannot leave the state if that law passes? i travel to illinois every day for work. how can this law pass?

these republicans are absolutely insane.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    what i want to know is how can fucking missouri enforce a law that prohibits women from mo from going to other states to have an abortion. are they really saying women cannot leave the state if that law passes? i travel to illinois every day for work. how can this law pass?

I think you answered your question!  Yes, they a unhinged, wheels coming off, out to lunch, and bat-shit crazy!

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

I hadn't heard about it until your post. that is literally insane. 

like I've said....Margaret Atwood was on to something. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/19/travel-abortion-law-missouri-00018539
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

I hadn't heard about it until your post. that is literally insane. 

like I've said....Margaret Atwood was on to something. 

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/03/19/travel-abortion-law-missouri-00018539

I'm sure this will never happen, just like they won't go after same sex marriage... or inter racial marriage... or contraception.... or Roe v Wade

Oh... wait....
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,550
    brianlux said:

I think you answered your question!  Yes, they a unhinged, wheels coming off, out to lunch, and bat-shit crazy!

Remember it's not just the politicians. 
    It's also every single person who supports them in some way.
    Advice
    Financially 
    Posting on message boards
    Voting
    Etc
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    nicknyr15 said:
    Uh-oh. You know what they say about anyone who shows support for another person, right? Well, this obviously means Pelosi supports antiabortion views, and loves Texas. Gonna be a tough pill to swallow for those who subscribe to that way of thinking.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,787
    FiveBelow said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Uh-oh. You know what they say about anyone who shows support for another person, right? Well, this obviously means Pelosi supports antiabortion views, and loves Texas. Gonna be a tough pill to swallow for those who subscribe to that way of thinking.
    Guess we’ll never know how people feel about this. 
  • Options
    EdsonNascimentoEdsonNascimento Posts: 5,506
    Yes, it should be legal.

The discussion we should be having is what are the restrictions? And before you jump down my throat - do people really believe there should be unfettered access to abortions in the 9th month?  On the other side of the coin, obvious exceptions at all times is mother's life.  What else and at what times?

We need to get the crazy and extreme out of both sides and start concentrating our national discussions in the middle where most of the country is.
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    Yes, it should be legal.

The discussion we should be having is what are the restrictions? And before you jump down my throat - do people really believe there should be unfettered access to abortions in the 9th month?  On the other side of the coin, obvious exceptions at all times is mother's life.  What else and at what times?

We need to get the crazy and extreme out of both sides and start concentrating our national discussions in the middle where most of the country is.
    A dead-end of when it should no longer be done needs to exist, even if it's kinda arbitrary (kinda like a drinking age). I know people that say "as long as it's not born" but most people would be more along the lines of "first two trimesters." I'm OK with that.

After that, most exceptions for "all times" hopefully are not needed. Rape/incest should be able to be taken care of in the first two trimesters.

That said, while you probably can find "crazy and extreme" on the pro-choice side, it's pretty small and toothless. Only the extreme anti-choice matters at this point.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited May 2022
    Yes, it should be legal.

9th month abortions don't happen unless the mother's life is in danger. nor do 8th month or 7th month. 

In Manitoba, it's only allowed at a maximum of 19 weeks after your last menstrual cycle ends. that's 4.75 months. Ontario is 24 weeks. end of the second trimester is considered the norm at the extreme end. 

only 1.3 percent of abortions in the states were performed during this time period. so guess how many were done after that?

91 percent performed before 13 weeks. 

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    FiveBelow said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Guess we’ll never know how people feel about this. 

To be honest, Nick, a little nonplussed, a lot unconcerned.   Most people have already made up their minds about a woman's right to control their won body (I'm obviously in favor of that), and I can't see Pelosi's take on it changing enough minds to make a difference.

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    The idea that women are getting abortions in the last few weeks of pregnancy for any reason other than fatal malformations or risk to the woman’s life is a bogeyman put forward by the anti-choice crowd. 

I am in favour of no legal restrictions on abortion. That’s what we’ve had in Canada for decades and surprise, there hasn’t been a problem with third trimester abortions. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,827
    Yes, it should be legal.

9th month abortions don't happen unless the mother's life is in danger. nor do 8th month or 7th month. 

In Manitoba, it's only allowed at a maximum of 19 weeks after your last menstrual cycle ends. that's 4.75 months. Ontario is 24 weeks. end of the second trimester is considered the norm at the extreme end. 

only 1.3 percent of abortions in the states were performed during this time period. so guess how many were done after that?

91 percent performed before 13 weeks. 

Not that it isn’t allowed, as there isn’t legislation preventing it; it just isn’t available. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    Yes, it should be legal.

well, the issue is not just abortion. it is bodily autonomy. i believe a woman should have control over her body at all times, so it is their choice. men need to stay the fuck out of it. people can not like abortion all they want, but do not impose your views on women.

i do not like abortion, but i like the fact that women had the option to make the best decision for themselves.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    Yes, it should be legal.

well, the issue is not just abortion. it is bodily autonomy. i believe a woman should have control over her body at all times, so it is their choice. men need to stay the fuck out of it. people can not like abortion all they want, but do not impose your views on women.

i do not like abortion, but i like the fact that women had the option to make the best decision for themselves.

Perfectly stated!

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    brianlux said:
    Yes, it should be legal.

Perfectly stated!
    We just posted almost the same thing on may 7th.  

my wife is another. exact same stance. that's the essence of pro choice. 
    These are the best stances yet.  That was my point all along.  I was pregnant at 22 and engaged.  So when my son noticed that our anniversary obviously is before nine months I was able to say to him honestly that he was a CHOICE.  He wasn’t a mistake, nor did we even consider abortion.  Had I been 16 and alone I would have gone the adoption route.  I am against abortion for me.  It’s a free world so I get to choose and I don’t judge those who choose abortion, I’m not here to judge.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    Yes, it should be legal.

Perfectly stated!
    We just posted almost the same thing on may 7th.  

my wife is another. exact same stance. that's the essence of pro choice. 
    These are the best stances yet.  That was my point all along.  I was pregnant at 22 and engaged.  So when my son noticed that our anniversary obviously is before nine months I was able to say to him honestly that he was a CHOICE.  He wasn’t a mistake, nor did we even consider abortion.  Had I been 16 and alone I would have gone the adoption route.  I am against abortion for me.  It’s a free world so I get to choose and I don’t judge those who choose abortion, I’m not here to judge.  
    "These are the best stances yet.  That was my point all along.  I was pregnant at 22 and engaged.  So when my son noticed that our anniversary obviously is before nine months I was able to say to him honestly that he was a CHOICE.  He wasn’t a mistake, nor did we even consider abortion.  Had I been 16 and alone I would have gone the adoption route.  I am against abortion for me.  It’s a free world so I get to choose and I don’t judge those who choose abortion, I’m not here to judge. "

Well said, cblock, and good for you!  :smile:

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    Never have to guess where they stand…thanks for posting- gonna spread it around 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    gift article....

Abortion in the Founders’ era: Violent, chaotic and unregulated
    By Gillian Brockell
    May 15, 2022 at 7:00 ET
    Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr. calls himself an originalist, someone who thinks the Constitution should be interpreted only by how it would have been understood by the Founders when they wrote it. So it’s no surprise that his draft opinion overturning Roe v. Wade is full of history.
    At least seven times, Alito cited Sir Matthew Hale, a 17th-century jurist who didn’t think marital rape was possible because wives were the property of their husbands, and who sentenced at least two women to die for witchcraft. Alito also cited a legal text from 1250 by Henry de Bracton that, in another section, says women are inferior to men, and that they sometimes give birth to literal monsters.
    Alito confined his exploration of the past to legal history and English common law. But to assess how the Founders would view abortion rights, it’s necessary to paint a fuller picture of what abortion was actually like in the time of the Founders.
    And it was very different from how it might look in a post-Roe America.
    Abortion in the Revolutionary War era
    In the 18th-century United States and England, abortion was common enough that there were slang terms for it, like “taking the cold,” “taking the trade” and “bringing down the flowers.” It was less-effective and more dangerous than it is now; women seeking abortions often died from infected wounds or poisons. And it was generally unregulated, except for a few instances in England and one in colonial Maryland mentioned by Alito in the draft opinion.
    In the late-18th and early-19th centuries, no states had laws against any form of abortion, though Alito averred that “manuals for justices of the peace printed in the colonies in the 18th century” sometimes "repeated Hale’s and [William] Blackstone’s statements that anyone who prescribed medication ‘unlawfully to destroy the child’ would be guilty of murder if the woman died.”

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    hedonist said:

I wonder how many knew who they were marching with.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:

I love it-  Mike standing up for women's right to choose in my home city.  Awesome!