• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I searched around on different social media pages for this topic and almost all of the comments supporting “right to life” were made by women.  I found relative few men even commenting on the subject, and most that did were on the “choice” front.  Also, at the Planned Parenthood clinic in my city, I’ve only ever seen women outside protesting in favor of “right to life”.   I know it’s not a great metric, but a valid observation I think.  On the same note, most of the “choice” comments seemed to be made by women as well, but there were more men tricking in comments on that side.  What it seemed like was mostly women vs women on this subject.  
    Once more, look at the lawmakers.  Your social media search isn't exactly empirical or representative.  
    It’s definitely not empirical data, but definitely an observation against the men vs women narrative that is always pushed with this topic.  As far as lawmakers go, yes, it not good optics having men signing these bills, but I think conservative women would be doing (and have done) the same thing.  I don’t see any lawmakers signing bills if 75% of their female constituents were against it.  I mean, women traditionally have a higher turnout than men in the polls.  It’s a conservative/religious against non-conservative/not-religious rather than a men vs women thing in my opinion.
    the MS heartbeat bill is the one before the court.  For the state legislature in MS, there were 118 votes on the bill.  76 were 'yea'.  Of those 'yea', 7 were women.  https://legiscan.com/MS/rollcall/SB2116/id/818671

Go state by state where these bills are passing and you'll see the same trend. 
    Looks pretty much straight down party line, though, right?  There are overwhelmingly more men than women legislators voting, so what percentage of the Republican women voting went “yea”?
    Missy Warren was literally the only Rep. woman that voted against it, so data says that roughly 86% of the female Reps voted for that bill.
    If the trend is, as you say, similar in other states, then it is justifiable to say that most conservatives, men and women, support anti-abortion bills.  Added to the fact that Republican female citizens outpace male voters, that is significant data showing it is not purely a men vs women issue.
    Most data that I’ve seen does not support the men vs women theory.
    It is down the party line, but that is irrelevant.  The point remains that the overwhelming number of people attempting to regulate a woman's right to choose are men.  If the legislature was 50/50 men and women, would the bills have passed?  Who knows.  

Regarding 42% of women voted for Trump, I'd say 1. That's not a ringing endorsement compared to 58% for Biden and 2. Abortion was not a key issue in the election.  I think many people who are not court watchers are rather surprised that Roe could be swept away. 
    But probably the main issue for the uninformed voters who make up the majority of the electorate in every election. It is the main reason many people even bother voting.

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,630
    edited May 2022
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I searched around on different social media pages for this topic and almost all of the comments supporting “right to life” were made by women.  I found relative few men even commenting on the subject, and most that did were on the “choice” front.  Also, at the Planned Parenthood clinic in my city, I’ve only ever seen women outside protesting in favor of “right to life”.   I know it’s not a great metric, but a valid observation I think.  On the same note, most of the “choice” comments seemed to be made by women as well, but there were more men tricking in comments on that side.  What it seemed like was mostly women vs women on this subject.  
    Once more, look at the lawmakers.  Your social media search isn't exactly empirical or representative.  
    It’s definitely not empirical data, but definitely an observation against the men vs women narrative that is always pushed with this topic.  As far as lawmakers go, yes, it not good optics having men signing these bills, but I think conservative women would be doing (and have done) the same thing.  I don’t see any lawmakers signing bills if 75% of their female constituents were against it.  I mean, women traditionally have a higher turnout than men in the polls.  It’s a conservative/religious against non-conservative/not-religious rather than a men vs women thing in my opinion.
    the MS heartbeat bill is the one before the court.  For the state legislature in MS, there were 118 votes on the bill.  76 were 'yea'.  Of those 'yea', 7 were women.  https://legiscan.com/MS/rollcall/SB2116/id/818671

Looks pretty much straight down party line, though, right?  There are overwhelmingly more men than women legislators voting, so what percentage of the Republican women voting went “yea”?
    Missy Warren was literally the only Rep. woman that voted against it, so data says that roughly 86% of the female Reps voted for that bill.
    If the trend is, as you say, similar in other states, then it is justifiable to say that most conservatives, men and women, support anti-abortion bills.  Added to the fact that Republican female citizens outpace male voters, that is significant data showing it is not purely a men vs women issue.
    It is down the party line, but that is irrelevant.  The point remains that the overwhelming number of people attempting to regulate a woman's right to choose are men.  If the legislature was 50/50 men and women, would the bills have passed?  Who knows.  

Regarding 42% of women voted for Trump, I'd say 1. That's not a ringing endorsement compared to 58% for Biden and 2. Abortion was not a key issue in the election.  I think many people who are not court watchers are rather surprised that Roe could be swept away. 
    Why is party line irrelevant?  Don’t they vote based on their constituents consisting of men and women?  And based on trends (data), if it were 50/50 men and women, the result would probably be the same.  Remember, only 1 out of the 7 women voted against that bill you used for an example.  
    The most significant factor is literally the party line, so how is that irrelevant?
    Because the argument isn't about party, it's about men and women.  I could argue your 1/7 statement the other way and say 15% of women defected from the party.  That's a high number for a 'core' Republican issue.  Now both the numbers 1 and 7 are too small to draw conclusions, so that's why I wouldn't make that argument, nor would I make the argument that 6 of 7 women would vote to ban abortion if the legislature was 50/50.  

The only argument I'm making is that the legislatures making these laws are overwhelmingly men.  As a comparative, 50 of the 150 members of the NY legislature are women.  Is it a surprise there are no laws pending to outlaw abortion there?  Well you'll say, no it's a D state.  But that's a chicken/egg conversation.  
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

Why is party line irrelevant?  Don’t they vote based on their constituents consisting of men and women?  And based on trends (data), if it were 50/50 men and women, the result would probably be the same.  Remember, only 1 out of the 7 women voted against that bill you used for an example.  
    The most significant factor is literally the party line, so how is that irrelevant?
    Because the argument isn't about party, it's about men and women.  I could argue your 1/7 statement the other way and say 15% of women defected from the party.  That's a high number for a 'core' Republican issue.  Now both the numbers 1 and 7 are too small to draw conclusions, so that's why I wouldn't make that argument, nor would I make the argument that 6 of 7 women would vote to ban abortion if the legislature was 50/50.  

The only argument I'm making is that the legislatures making these laws are overwhelmingly men.  As a comparative, 50 of the 150 members of the NY legislature are women.  Is it a surprise there are no laws pending to outlaw abortion there?  Well you'll say, no it's a D state.  But that's a chicken/egg conversation.  
    But the legislatures are representatives, correct?  And almost all of the Dem men voted for abortion rights, so how in any world can you discount party lines?  Your only “fact” to back your conclusion is that there were more male legislators that voted for the bill than women, but that seems a very surface level way of coming up with a conclusion that men are the guiding hand in this.  In fact, actual stats show that the topic of abortion isn’t anywhere near as important of an issue to men as it is to women.  And polls show men and women almost equally hold similar views on abortion as a whole with women actually coming out with a slightly higher number against abortion.

Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

But the legislatures are representatives, correct?  And almost all of the Dem men voted for abortion rights, so how in any world can you discount party lines?  Your only “fact” to back your conclusion is that there were more male legislators that voted for the bill than women, but that seems a very surface level way of coming up with a conclusion that men are the guiding hand in this.  In fact, actual stats show that the topic of abortion isn’t anywhere near as important of an issue to men as it is to women.  And polls show men and women almost equally hold similar views on abortion as a whole:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/20/18629644/abortion-gender-gap-public-opinion

The stats show that there is a far stronger correlation with party line and religion than merely gender….
    That Vox article is silly and provides no meaningful information.  It says there are more important issues that animate men and women.  Maybe that's true.  Or maybe that was true in 2019 when Roe wasn't up for judicial review with an actual chance of being overturned.  It also shows that 20% of Americans have 'no opinion'.  I'm pretty sure if you conducted a poll today, there would not be 20% of Americans with no opinion on abortion. 

But I'm tired of this argument, to be honest.  Someone asked why people said this was men making decisions for women.  I explained why that statement is out there.  It's because of the legislature makeup where these laws are happening.  You can take issue with that statement or not.  I don't care.  It doesn't change anything.  It's a talking point by the pro-choice side of the aisle and it's not without merit.  You can peel the onion five levels and say AHA! not true.  It's still going to be said.  My view is that this is an individual decision, made by one individual.  The woman.  A majority or a state should not take that decision from her.  We don't make people get cancer treatments, we shouldn't make them carry a baby in their body. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:

But the legislatures are representatives, correct?  And almost all of the Dem men voted for abortion rights, so how in any world can you discount party lines?  Your only “fact” to back your conclusion is that there were more male legislators that voted for the bill than women, but that seems a very surface level way of coming up with a conclusion that men are the guiding hand in this.  In fact, actual stats show that the topic of abortion isn’t anywhere near as important of an issue to men as it is to women.  And polls show men and women almost equally hold similar views on abortion as a whole:

https://www.vox.com/2019/5/20/18629644/abortion-gender-gap-public-opinion

The stats show that there is a far stronger correlation with party line and religion than merely gender….
    That Vox article is silly and provides no meaningful information.  It says there are more important issues that animate men and women.  Maybe that's true.  Or maybe that was true in 2019 when Roe wasn't up for judicial review with an actual chance of being overturned.  It also shows that 20% of Americans have 'no opinion'.  I'm pretty sure if you conducted a poll today, there would not be 20% of Americans with no opinion on abortion. 

But I'm tired of this argument, to be honest.  Someone asked why people said this was men making decisions for women.  I explained why that statement is out there.  It's because of the legislature makeup where these laws are happening.  You can take issue with that statement or not.  I don't care.  It doesn't change anything.  It's a talking point by the pro-choice side of the aisle and it's not without merit.  You can peel the onion five levels and say AHA! not true.  It's still going to be said.  My view is that this is an individual decision, made by one individual.  The woman.  A majority or a state should not take that decision from her.  We don't make people get cancer treatments, we shouldn't make them carry a baby in their body. 
    I edited my comment and put more adequate links/articles to prove my point (since that Vox article was from 2012), so check those out if you are interested in actual data instead of assumptions.  Thanks for the debate!
    I do agree, though, that states have their hands in regulating this (and many other things) way more than they should.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    I thought the Meet the Press interview with Tate Reeves (Gov of Mississippi) was interesting yesterday.

Chuck Todd pressed him on why there wasn't an exception for incest in MS when there is for rape and life of the mother.  Tate sidestepped it and Todd pointed that out.

Tate's reasoning for being anti-abortion was that "it's an American child".  But isn't it also an "American child" in the case of rape, incest and life of the mother?

Their argument falls apart immediately. You can't argue that life begins at conception with exceptions.

The right answer is that the government should not be able to step between a woman and her doctor.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,718
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,602
    I thought the Meet the Press interview with Tate Reeves (Gov of Mississippi) was interesting yesterday.

Chuck Todd pressed him on why there wasn't an exception for incest in MS when there is for rape and life of the mother.  Tate sidestepped it and Todd pointed that out.

Tate's reasoning for being anti-abortion was that "it's an American child".  But isn't it also an "American child" in the case of rape, incest and life of the mother?

Their argument falls apart immediately. You can't argue that life begins at conception with exceptions.

The right answer is that the government should not be able to step between a woman and her doctor.
    "Its an 'American child?'" I guess he's pro abortion for the pregnant, cantaloupe calved, drug smuggling, illegal mamacitas? "Its an 'American child.'" Good grief.

If these guys are so prolife, why can't we force them to give up a kidney to someone who needs one? 
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    PJPOWER said:
    Just wanted to say, using social media as a gauge of public opinion is a very, very bad idea. The companies in charge of social media networks all use variations of the same premise in determining what social content makes it onto your screen, and they’re based on either sensationalizing, or reinforcing one’s own opinions through content. The goal is exclusively to keep you on it, meaning they want you riled up or seeing things you feel to be true - neither of which will align with the realities of the world through anything other than coincidence. Truth is never the objective.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options

"Its an 'American child?'" I guess he's pro abortion for the pregnant, cantaloupe calved, drug smuggling, illegal mamacitas? "Its an 'American child.'" Good grief.

If these guys are so prolife, why can't we force them to give up a kidney to someone who needs one? 
    Todd also pressed the governor on how horrible MS stats were toward supporting the poor. He asked if MS was going to step up their game given they want all of these "american children" to be born.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,602

Todd also pressed the governor on how horrible MS stats were toward supporting the poor. He asked if MS was going to step up their game given they want all of these "american children" to be born.
    Pro-life ‘till your born.

Already floating the banning of birth control if RvsW isn’t overturned. What was that about men controlling women’s bodies, again?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    So will you support the legislation passed in the House to codify Roe v. Wade?  Only about 30% of the House is female and apparently men aren't qualified to weigh in on this subject.   Women vote in these representatives whether male or female.  A male representative has to answer to his constituents which 50% are women.  My assumption is that the male Republicans are voting in line for the most part with their constituency that elected them.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
    benjs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    Just wanted to say, using social media as a gauge of public opinion is a very, very bad idea. The companies in charge of social media networks all use variations of the same premise in determining what social content makes it onto your screen, and they’re based on either sensationalizing, or reinforcing one’s own opinions through content. The goal is exclusively to keep you on it, meaning they want you riled up or seeing things you feel to be true - neither of which will align with the realities of the world through anything other than coincidence. Truth is never the objective.
    I just deleted my facebook and twitter apps (again) before reading this. I keep thinking I'll be out of the loop band-wise, but I don't care anymore. it's just too toxic. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:
    PJPOWER said:
    So will you support the legislation passed in the House to codify Roe v. Wade?  Only about 30% of the House is female and apparently men aren't qualified to weigh in on this subject.   Women vote in these representatives whether male or female.  A male representative has to answer to his constituents which 50% are women.  My assumption is that the male Republicans are voting in line for the most part with their constituency that elected them.  
    I think I made it pretty clear that I was explaining the thought behind the statement.  

Second, the HUGE disconnect in your question is that I support allowing a woman to decide what she does with her body, vs the gov't telling her what she can and cannot do.  Surely you understand that I don't support forcing abortions.  If the vote was, for example,  "Do you believe an unwed mother should be made the carry or abort a baby" and I had to vote that way, then you'd be asking a legitimate question.  Because both options would be forcing a woman into a specific decision. You aren't.  
  • Options
    benjs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I just deleted my facebook and twitter apps (again) before reading this. I keep thinking I'll be out of the loop band-wise, but I don't care anymore. it's just too toxic. 
    I switched to twitter a year or two ago and thought it was better but it really isn't....

• Options
    benjs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I switched to twitter a year or two ago and thought it was better but it really isn't....
    I wish there was a local version of it. I really only follow bands and local people for up to the minute news that pertains to me. But I just keep getting force-fed these fucking posts by people I don't follow/know or only because some celebrity is trending. I get it; that's how they retain members. But it's not for me anymore. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,771
    benjs said:
    PJPOWER said:
    I wish there was a local version of it. I really only follow bands and local people for up to the minute news that pertains to me. But I just keep getting force-fed these fucking posts by people I don't follow/know or only because some celebrity is trending. I get it; that's how they retain members. But it's not for me anymore. 

bandcamp. myspace is still a thing....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I wonder if my old band's myspace is still up. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I like to communicate through puzzles and clues.  National Treasure type of stuff.
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Post edited by bootlegger10 on
  • Options

Anti-abortion Senate Democrat backs abortion rights bill
    By FARNOUSH AMIRI and MARC LEVY
    28 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Sen. Bob Casey of Pennsylvania, one of the last lawmakers on Capitol Hill calling himself a “pro-life Democrat,” said Tuesday he would support a bill to write abortion rights into federal law following the Supreme Court’s leaked draft decision that would overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling.

Casey, serving his third term, is not just any Democrat in the abortion debate. His father, a former two-term governor of Pennsylvania who opposed abortion rights, signed legislation that spawned another landmark abortion case, Planned Parenthood v. Casey.

Now Sen. Casey is in the position of watching the Supreme Court potentially overturn Roe v. Wade two years before he faces reelection while his party’s activists mobilize against any such decision.

He is casting his new position as a reaction to what he characterizes as an unforeseen move by Republicans in Congress to try to effectively ban abortion nationwide.

Casey said he will support the Democrats' bill, if there is a final vote on it. And he said he has never voted for — and does not support — a complete ban on abortion.

“I think a lot of Americans are just beginning to understand the Republican position, which is, in many cases, not just a ban, but in a lot of states a ban without exception,” Casey said in an interview.

He told Politico in 2018 “that the description of pro-life Democrat is accurate:" for him.

But he told the AP on Tuesday that Republicans in Congress have moved from decades of saying they wanted states to have a say over abortion to pursuing legislation to ban it everywhere after six weeks — before many women even know they are pregnant.

“I think that’s a new and substantial development in their approach," he said.

A vote on legislation by Senate Democrats to preserve abortion rights nationwide will not come to the floor if Democrats can't come up with the votes necessary to bypass procedural hurdles. They are expected to fail on a Wednesday test vote.

Casey has won his Senate races campaigning as an anti-abortion Democrat, even as advocates accuse him of abandoning the cause through his more moderate positions.

“Because of his actions and words, I think Sen. Casey has abandoned legitimate use of the pro-life label,” said Michael Geer, president of the Pennsylvania Family Institute, which opposes abortion rights.

After the draft opinion emerged last week, Casey said he had “serious concerns about what overturning almost 50 years of legal precedent will mean for women in states passing near or total bans on abortion.”

As for the Senate, he said, "Congress should be working to reduce the number of abortions and unintended pregnancies and doing much more to support women and families.”

In the past, he has pushed for policies that he says are proven to reduce the number of abortions, such as boosting support for health care, contraception and programs that support women and children.

continues.....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Well OK, let's get creative!
    May be an image of text that says STOP ABORTION AT THE SOURCE VASECTOMIES ARE REVERSIBLE Make every young man have one When hes deemed financially  emotionally fit to be a father it will be reversed Whats that Did the idea regulating a man s body make you uncomfortable THEN MIND YOUR CKING BUSINESS stephenszczerba

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    brianlux said:
    May be an image of text that says STOP ABORTION AT THE SOURCE VASECTOMIES ARE REVERSIBLE Make every young man have one When hes deemed financially  emotionally fit to be a father it will be reversed Whats that Did the idea regulating a man s body make you uncomfortable THEN MIND YOUR CKING BUSINESS stephenszczerba

Didn’t expect to be imagining pain in that area this morning, so thanks for that!
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    brianlux said:

Actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea, haha.  Wouldn’t it be more similar if men were told they couldn’t have vasectomies, though?  No woman is forced to have the medical procedure that I’m aware of.  Would all men having vasectomies not be just another way of men controlling pregnancy on their own terms? 
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

Actually doesn’t sound like a terrible idea, haha.  Wouldn’t it be more similar if men were told they couldn’t have vasectomies, though?  No woman is forced to have the medical procedure that I’m aware of.  Would all men having vasectomies not be just another way of men controlling pregnancy on their own terms? 

shouldnt WE be to begin with at the very start of the potential for pregnancy?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

Outlaw dating?
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

Outlaw dating?

nah. old school. chasity belts for men.

• Options
    edited May 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

Outlaw dating?

nah. old school. chasity belts for men.

Lol, ouch…it was difficult enough wearing jeans as a teenager!
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    brianlux said:

Well, of course the meme isn't actually saying vasectomies should be mandated.  It's just implying that people who want to dictate what women should do with their own bodies should... well, the that line says it all!

Another one I heard goes something like:  Have you noticed that go can't get a tax deduction for fetuses because the government doesn't consider a fetus a person? 

Of course, then the right will want to make fetuses be persons.  Why not, right?  Corporations are persons.  In fact, I'm pretty sure my cat is a person.  I hope she lives to be voting age.