Options

New Ticket Policy Changes Simplified

Comments

• Options
    It can't just be a text message. There will be some sort of login required. It can't be as easy as just getting a text. If its through TM it will be via email.

Should be easy to only allow for one ticket to be transferred. All they have to do is only give you the option to transfer one tix. 
  • Options
    VanEyck said:
    JimmyV said:
    People are always begging them to do something about scalpers. Well...here we are. I have some concerns about how this will all work but I'm willing to give it a shot.
    I'd argue that anything that doesn't require in-person pick-up is way easier for scalpers to infiltrate.  I won't get into details of what problems I see arising here.
    This is my biggest concern as well...

While the new practices have neutralized some opportunities for Ticket-fuckery, this has opened up some new ones. As someone said earlier, there is some ambiguity and hopefully that will dissuade some from trying to game the system, but I doubt it. 
    It depends. Making it harder to transfer tickets can make it harder on the scalpers. They will have two options. 

1. Meet whoever they sell the ticket to and walk them in. Doing so they eat one of the tickets.
    2. Transfer one ticket to the buyer. Also eat the price of one of the tickets. 
    3. They can try to sell a screenshot of the ticket. Who's going to buy a screenshot ticket?
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 433
    VanEyck said:
    JimmyV said:
    People are always begging them to do something about scalpers. Well...here we are. I have some concerns about how this will all work but I'm willing to give it a shot.
    I'd argue that anything that doesn't require in-person pick-up is way easier for scalpers to infiltrate.  I won't get into details of what problems I see arising here.

While the new practices have neutralized some opportunities for Ticket-fuckery, this has opened up some new ones. As someone said earlier, there is some ambiguity and hopefully that will dissuade some from trying to game the system, but I doubt it. 
    It depends. Making it harder to transfer tickets can make it harder on the scalpers. They will have two options. 

1. Meet whoever they sell the ticket to and walk them in. Doing so they eat one of the tickets.
    3. They can try to sell a screenshot of the ticket. Who's going to buy a screenshot ticket?

The screenshot is the most compelling solution around the system but your point is dead on - you can't list a screenshot ticket on stubhub. Hopefully that screws the scalpers and people trying to profit off extra tickets. I would consider buying a screenshot at face from someone on here or that I know IRL. But it makes scalping a lot harder.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,189
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:
    I just would like to ask those that think double membership in one household is unfair, who do you go to the show with? Have you never had a ticket buddy before or do you go solo to every show? Just because I live with somebody who is just as big of a fan as I am why does that mean we should only use one account?
          I 100% don’t think that’s unfair. If you both pay your dues, which obviously you do, then you both have the right to put in for the lottery. I assume if you win twice, then you obviously give your tickets to other Pj fans. I guess I’m not understanding the argument against it. Now obviously if you were trying to sell second pair for profit that would be wrong. I do think it’s cool when people who have won more than they need offer it to other fan club members who missed out first, but even that isn’t a perfect system because some of those same people who say they missed out, won 5 other shows. 
    Here's the issue - If you are putting in for 4 tickets, and only intending to use 2 of them, by definition you are attempting to buy tickets you don't intend to use. Doing so ensures that someone else putting in for 2 tickets they will actually use will be shut out of getting them. It isn't "wrong" as in "against the rules" and is perfectly within your rights as you say, but it is "wrong" as in "you're fucking over your fellow fanclub member". That is why the "unfair" label gets used. You are gaming the system at the expense of another member.

Hopefully this new policy significantly cuts down that behavior.
    :clap::clap::clap:

My point exactly. People are pulling tickets out of the pool so they can upgrade seats or swap shows. 

I dont play ticket games so I love the new rules. And I love that the intent is to get more fans in the building.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,581
    edited January 2018
    Horse2345 said:
    Zod said:

I anticipate problems of some sort.

Somebody mentioned U2 and credit card entry. Their last show in Vancouver was a disaster. I don't say this lightly.
    1 u2 show goes bad in vancouver only. the rest of the tour went smoothly. fyi
    ga floor. scan your card and go in. paperless. it has worked for over 20 and i still have no idea why more bands don't do it
    not every section has to be paperless but GA floor should absolutely be this way.
    I still have no idea how BC Place messed that up so bad.  Rogers Arena used paperless tickets for all the u2 fan club tickets on the tour before that tour and there were no problems. 

There was a problem with the scanner software apparently
    Yup. The scanning system went down and nobody was getting in, and by the time they fixed it it was way too late - the damage was already done. There were 14,000 angry people who'd been told to arrive at 5:30 lined up until 7:30 at least, all trying to get in at the same time and then the show was starting. I actually was one of the relatively few to get in before the opener. By the time Mumford & Sons played I would estimate that only a couple thousand people had made it onto the football field sized floor (I mean, we had an AMAZING spot on the floor because of this debacle, lol, but I felt bad for everyone stuck outside).
    The failure of the scanning system isn't the only thing that went wrong though. The BC Place staff were absolutely fucking useless when it came to managing the line ups even before the system when down. People who had been waiting were getting screwed simply because the staff were too clueless to find a good place for lines to start and how to handle them once they got so long they hit the street. I saw them make decisions about it, move people around, and then literally forget what they'd done, leaving the moved sections of lineups high and dry - they'd basically been ordered out of the line altogether. Then those people would try to get back into the line and the people who were originally behind them got all mad thinking they were all just cutting in. It was absolutely ridiculous. Although not too many people were that surprised. Too many of us remember all the times they fucking ran out of beer and food before halftime at Grey Cup games and shit like that. BC Place is run by a bunch of clowns.
    Anyway, long story short, credit card entry itself wasn't the entire problem there.... however, the scanning software did crash, and there is no reason to assume that won't happen again at any venue of your choice.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:
    I just would like to ask those that think double membership in one household is unfair, who do you go to the show with? Have you never had a ticket buddy before or do you go solo to every show? Just because I live with somebody who is just as big of a fan as I am why does that mean we should only use one account?
          I 100% don’t think that’s unfair. If you both pay your dues, which obviously you do, then you both have the right to put in for the lottery. I assume if you win twice, then you obviously give your tickets to other Pj fans. I guess I’m not understanding the argument against it. Now obviously if you were trying to sell second pair for profit that would be wrong. I do think it’s cool when people who have won more than they need offer it to other fan club members who missed out first, but even that isn’t a perfect system because some of those same people who say they missed out, won 5 other shows. 
    Here's the issue - If you are putting in for 4 tickets, and only intending to use 2 of them, by definition you are attempting to buy tickets you don't intend to use. Doing so ensures that someone else putting in for 2 tickets they will actually use will be shut out of getting them. It isn't "wrong" as in "against the rules" and is perfectly within your rights as you say, but it is "wrong" as in "you're fucking over your fellow fanclub member". That is why the "unfair" label gets used. You are gaming the system at the expense of another member.

I don’t agree. They are putting in two entries because there is obviously no guarantee they are going to win the first entry. Now if tickets were guaranteed and they still put in multiple entries just to try and resale or trade or whatever, then that’s a problem. If there was somehow a way to guarantee all fan club members one set of tickets per show, then this wouldn’t Be an issue.  The reality is however, that many people put in for tickets for multiple shows and inevitably, some people will miss out on tickets. The good news is, most people seem to be very good people and usually just pass along their extras to fellow fan club members. 
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:

I don’t agree. They are putting in two entries because there is obviously no guarantee they are going to win the first entry. Now if tickets were guaranteed and they still put in multiple entries just to try and resale or trade or whatever, then that’s a problem. If there was somehow a way to guarantee all fan club members one set of tickets per show, then this wouldn’t Be an issue.  The reality is however, that many people put in for tickets for multiple shows and inevitably, some people will miss out on tickets. The good news is, most people seem to be very good people and usually just pass along their extras to fellow fan club members. 
    I guess we'll just disagree then. I think when a couple puts in for 4 tickets, only needing 2 of them, they've doubled their odds without assuming additional risk. If they did away with the ability to transfer tickets, I would have fewer issues with this. You could go for 4 tickets, win 4, and have to eat 2. Assuming the additional risk would be the price for doubling your odds. But the way it was, there was no risk (hell, it was easy to transfer a pair to other 10c members as long as you were there to pick them up). This new policy adds a bit of complexity to the ticket transfer situation, so there is potential that this sort of scheme is slowed down a bit. I like it.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jmug23jmug23 Posts: 778
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:

I guess we'll just disagree then. I think when a couple puts in for 4 tickets, only needing 2 of them, they've doubled their odds without assuming additional risk. If they did away with the ability to transfer tickets, I would have fewer issues with this. You could go for 4 tickets, win 4, and have to eat 2. Assuming the additional risk would be the price for doubling your odds. But the way it was, there was no risk (hell, it was easy to transfer a pair to other 10c members as long as you were there to pick them up). This new policy adds a bit of complexity to the ticket transfer situation, so there is potential that this sort of scheme is slowed down a bit. I like it.
    Yeah you got a good point there and that makes a lot of sense. You are probably right that new system should definitely slow down most of that. I guess I’ve always been fortunate and always have gotten the shows I have wanted so never really thouht about it from the other point of view. I don’t have two memberships by the way:)
  • Options
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    jeffbr said:
    jmug23 said:
    PJNB said:

Yeah you got a good point there and that makes a lot of sense. You are probably right that new system should definitely slow down most of that. I guess I’ve always been fortunate and always have gotten the shows I have wanted so never really thouht about it from the other point of view. I don’t have two memberships by the way:)
    Yeah, I have no problem with multiple memberships in a household, I just don't see how people should be allowed to put in for more tickets than they intend to use without some additional cost or consequence. And I understand why people do it. Everyone wants to get tickets and will do anything they can to increase their odds. I signed up for the Verified Fan thing as a way to increase my odds of securing a ticket if I don't get drawn in the lottery. So we do what we do. I just think this new policy controls the crazy flipping/transfer madness that is pervasive here during tour time. People can still have ticket buddies (you put in for show A, I'll put in for show B), but it eliminates a massive number of "I've got an extra pair for the show" posts.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    if you think of entering the lottery as "purchasing tickets" instead of entering a contest, it helps get to the jeffbr pov
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,810
    MayDay10 said:
    if you think of entering the lottery as "purchasing tickets" instead of entering a contest, it helps get to the jeffbr pov
    But it is a lottery and as paying members we should have equal shots at that lotto since we both payed for a membership. My wife has a right to 2 tickets for that show and I have a right for 2 tickets at that show and we should be able to do whatever we want with our spares as you are able to if you are going solo. 
  • Options
    MayDay10 said:
    That's probably true. I think if you are entering the lottery, you are essentially purchasing tickets (you're certainly committed to do so if you're drawn). So to me, entering the lottery is not to try to win a prize, it is to purchase tickets. If we could enter the lottery for an "option" to purchase tickets, then sure, let both ticket buddies enter for the same show, and if they both win, only one has to actually purchase, and the other pair of tickets go back into the pool.
    Anyway, I'm not rabid about this. I try to see the band when they come around, and just want everyone to have a fair shot at securing tickets. There is no perfect solution to this, and until they get really hardcore and start scanning credit cards at the door, we'll see people doing whatever they can to improve their odds. I totally understand that. I just happen to prefer the system for this tour over the previous system. And I had no problem with the F5 days. I've been shut out of lotteries, but never had a problem with F5. Others hated that system, and found that the lottery system worked best for them. 
  • Options
    smaksmak Posts: 226
    JR86440 said:
    I am still confused on the phone ticket.  What stops a person for giving a random cell number for the tickets and therefor selling them to that number.  
    I am guessing the tickets will be texted to  you. Only thing that makes sense. They can't be available in your fan club account because if you really wanted to sell them, you would just give the person your login info and password
    Most phones now can receive text messages. There is a reason they used "smartphone" and not just phone. Particularly, Iphone and Android. They will likely be given through some sort of app
    They said ios and Android, and while that's the majority of smartphones, there are others, so it'll be an app.

Plus, how would you transfer a ticket sent to you via text?

• Options
    smaksmak Posts: 226

My point exactly. People are pulling tickets out of the pool so they can upgrade seats or swap shows. 

I dont play ticket games so I love the new rules. And I love that the intent is to get more fans in the building.

People might be pulling tickets out of the pool, but then what are they doing with their extras?  Mostly putting them back in the pool by posting on here to sell them.
  • Options
    smak said:

People might be pulling tickets out of the pool, but then what are they doing with their extras?  Mostly putting them back in the pool by posting on here to sell them.
    Exactly. If they were selling them to scalpers that would be one thing. But most if not all will now be sharing with friends or fellow 10C members. I mean, the new rules pretty much cut scalpers right out of the equation, which was definitely not the case when we picked up at will call 5 hours before the show.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,449
    smak said:

Yes... to trade with others here who made the same move with their tickets. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    smak said:

I'm wondering if this is even an issue though. The 10C has claimed that just about all of us are guaranteed tix anyhow.... I don't know how loosely they said that, but let's say it's actually true... then nobody's getting shut out anyhow and none of this matters. ;) Some people will swap, others will just use what they won, and those who couldn't do either probably won't have any trouble finding people who are just making theirs available for face value.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    on2legs said:
    smak said:

I'm wondering if this is even an issue though. The 10C has claimed that just about all of us are guaranteed tix anyhow.... I don't know how loosely they said that, but let's say it's actually true... then nobody's getting shut out anyhow and none of this matters. ;) Some people will swap, others will just use what they won, and those who couldn't do either probably won't have any trouble finding people who are just making theirs available for face value.
    My scenario it kind of matters.  My wife and I both have memberships.  We'd like GA.  GA is limited, while reserved is more ample.  My membership # is way older.  If there is a limitless supply of reserved tickets, our dilemma is.  Do we put her GA Night 1 only, then put me GA Night 2/Reserved Night 2/Reserved Night 1.  If she get's GA were stuck with what to do with an extra pair, if she loses GA, then we're better having using my membership for the night 1 tickets (Assuming 10c didn't underestimate demand, and they're still left in round 3).
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,076
    JBob87 said:
    VanEyck said:
    JimmyV said:

The screenshot is the most compelling solution around the system but your point is dead on - you can't list a screenshot ticket on stubhub. Hopefully that screws the scalpers and people trying to profit off extra tickets. I would consider buying a screenshot at face from someone on here or that I know IRL. But it makes scalping a lot harder.
    I'm amazed that people buy scalped print-at-home tickets. You'd have to be out of your mind to shell out that kind of money for a QR code screenshot.
  • Options
    Sooo...

I've been following this thread with half a brain. And I'm thinking of the worst case scenario: shut out for tix. No 10C and no general public luck for Seattle.

What then? I will be travelling with people. Do we all need to find a different concert friend and see the show with people we never came to the concert with? Do I just not go? 
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,189
    smak said:

Agreed yes - but I would rather have tickets in hand from 10c instead of scouting the boards for extras and meeting someone I don’t know in another city to pick them up. But you know, those better seats tho.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,139
    edited January 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    smak said:

Exactly. If they were selling them to scalpers that would be one thing. But most if not all will now be sharing with friends or fellow 10C members. I mean, the new rules pretty much cut scalpers right out of the equation, which was definitely not the case when we picked up at will call 5 hours before the show.

"Scalpers" get tickets from either promoters that underwrite the cost of the tour, or venues that have high roller season ticket holders to satisfy. I don't understand why many believe this system keeps out resellers. It may reduce supply on the secondary market. But that market still exists, and the artificially lowered supply (by allowing fans to stockpile tickets at below premium concert market prices) drives up cost for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, PJs rigid ticketing system, with it's many rules and unlimited benefits to the same few fans over and over, drives up resale ticket prices just as much as the traditional way to sell tickets.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    pjl44 said:
    JBob87 said:
    VanEyck said:
    JimmyV said:

I'm amazed that people buy scalped print-at-home tickets. You'd have to be out of your mind to shell out that kind of money for a QR code screenshot.

StubHub is a viable business with a reputation of greater than 99% reliability that guarantees  ticket cost to fans. Another option, Tickets now is a TM sub that literally transfers the QR to your name and account.

But stub hub does not help with travel expenses. Offering travel insurance as part of their service would help.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    As long as ticket face values are offered way below fair market value ( than those tickets to see artists benefitting from  similar overwhelming demand), resellers will find a way in. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,810
    smak said:

Agreed yes - but I would rather have tickets in hand from 10c instead of scouting the boards for extras and meeting someone I don’t know in another city to pick them up. But you know, those better seats tho.
    If you do not care about getting better seats I would gladly trade with you 10 club numbers. You act like the people that have higher numbers should just be happy to be in the building and not do any legwork on their own to upgrade their seats. Ball park shows especially matter because of the distance between the top 10 club seat and the worse. We are talking around 400-500 feet distance here which is crazy when you think about it. They should be able to see if they can get closer with ticketmaster or on here. Why would you be against that or would you prefer to sit in the noise bleeds with your 10 club ticket?
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,221
    PJ_Soul said:
    smak said:

"Scalpers" get tickets from either promoters that underwrite the cost of the tour, or venues that have high roller season ticket holders to satisfy. I don't understand why many believe this system keeps out resellers. It may reduce supply on the secondary market. But that market still exists, and the artificially lowered supply (by allowing fans to stockpile tickets at below premium concert market prices) drives up cost for the rest of us.

Unfortunately, PJs rigid ticketing system, with it's many rules and unlimited benefits to the same few fans over and over, drives up resale ticket prices just as much as the traditional way to sell tickets.
    It won't keep out scalpers, because eventually there is a public onsale and scalpers will get them then.  What the 10c does is acquires all the best seats (something I don't think any other fan club does.. most other fan clubs get some good seats, then other seats scattered around the venue).   Bascially what's left over for scalpers at a PJ show, is the nosebleeds.   All the best tickets go to the fans.   Pearl Jam seems to be trying to lock it up so that fan club memberships aren't abused by resellers.   All their left with is the ticketmaster leftovers.

Promoters might still get access to blocks too, but they'll be crappy blocks.   The promoter thing is also a catch 22 for most bands.  The promoter offers the band more than they can actually make on the tickets, so they have sell directly to brokers to make money (and pay the band).   I imagine PJ might be more cognitive if these kinds of things, and reign in some control on the situation.  Especially considering they're saying these shows will have loads of 10c tickets.   They must be good at negotiations :)
  • Options
    SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,880
    edited January 2018
    Sooo...

I've been following this thread with half a brain. And I'm thinking of the worst case scenario: shut out for tix. No 10C and no general public luck for Seattle.

What then? I will be travelling with people. Do we all need to find a different concert friend and see the show with people we never came to the concert with? Do I just not go? 
    I would make a thread on this site asking to buy tix and put it on Twitter and Facebook too if you use those.  Also sign up for Ticketmaster to text you if more tix become available. You will have several months to find tix. Real worst case of you still don’t have tix a few days before. But even then you’ll find people with extras. Don’t give up and be aggressive. 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • Options
    Peyton18Peyton18 Posts: 216
    Could you not just take a screenshot of the ticket and the barcode? Then send it to someone so they could use it! Just wondering
  • Options
    Peyton18 said:
    Could you not just take a screenshot of the ticket and the barcode? Then send it to someone so they could use it! Just wondering
    We're all just guessing how this might work with barcodes, etc. Assuming there will be a loophole sounds like quite the $200 gamble.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    JBob87 said:
    VanEyck said:
    JimmyV said:

StubHub is a viable business with a reputation of greater than 99% reliability that guarantees  ticket cost to fans. Another option, Tickets now is a TM sub that literally transfers the QR to your name and account.

But stub hub does not help with travel expenses. Offering travel insurance as part of their service would help.
    I'm familiar with legit secondary sites. We were talking about scalping.