Options

Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    Jumb0 said:
    Snagged a bottle of Blanton's today
    Retail?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    $90 after tax...so pretty close? Not sure what a bottle cost before allocation madness set in
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    Jumb0 said:
    $90 after tax...so pretty close? Not sure what a bottle cost before allocation madness set in
    I believe legit MSRP is around $60.  
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    I would have paid $90. Never see it on a shelf here....last time I visited Buffalo Trace it was the pick of the day so I have been saving it

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,539
    Jumb0 said:
    Sazerac brands MSRP is 60-65
    Anything higher is price gouging
  • Options
    Here's a tequila aged in a Blantons Barrel

• Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,032
    edited March 2023
    Has anybody seen any Jack Daniel's 10 year old batch 2 or 12 year old batch 2?  It supposed to be released around the end of March.  I wouldn't mind grabbing a bottle of each.  I'm sure it's heavily allocated.
    Post edited by BIGDaddyWil on
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    Has anybody seen any Jack Daniel's 10 year old batch 2 or 12 year old batch 2?  It supposed to be released around the end of March.  I wouldn't mind grabbing a bottle of each.  I'm sure it's heavily allocated.
    It should be out now.  That said, I haven't seen it.  If I can, I'd like to get one of each, but I def want to get my hands on the 12.  I've heard nothing but awesome reviews about it.
  • Options
    Jumb0 said:
    I would have paid $90. Never see it on a shelf here....last time I visited Buffalo Trace it was the pick of the day so I have been saving it
    I've only gotten one at $60.  That was like 2 years ago.  I still have 2/3 of a bottle.  For $60, it's good, but there are better bottles out there at the same price, IMHO.  I would never pay over MSRP if I ever saw another...and the only reason I'd get another is because I may not see one again for 5 years!  hahaha
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,736
    mca47 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    I've only gotten one at $60.  That was like 2 years ago.  I still have 2/3 of a bottle.  For $60, it's good, but there are better bottles out there at the same price, IMHO.  I would never pay over MSRP if I ever saw another...and the only reason I'd get another is because I may not see one again for 5 years!  hahaha
    Yeah I'll never pay above retail for anything anymore.  I do have a friend that can hook up a decent bottle every now and then but other than that it's not worth chasing bottles.  The whole scene is just sad.   I'll gladly drink a $35 bottle of Russel's Reserve on a regular basis.
  • Options
    mca47 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    Yeah I'll never pay above retail for anything anymore.  I do have a friend that can hook up a decent bottle every now and then but other than that it's not worth chasing bottles.  The whole scene is just sad.   I'll gladly drink a $35 bottle of Russel's Reserve on a regular basis.
    That's where I'm at....although I would pay $20-$30 above for a Blanton's, EHT, Eagle Rare (still never had it)

You're right though. Russell's Reserve or Wild Turkey Rare Breed are good enough.

In 10 years we likely won't have this insanity as they increased their capacity.

• Options
    They are both out in the world. Just not in every state yet. Soon though. 
    And they are extremely heavily allocated
  • Options
    I just checked the Drizly app.  Jack 10 is listed for $450!  F!!!  That said, this store always jacks prices waaaay up.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mca47 said:
    I just checked the Drizly app.  Jack 10 is listed for $450!  F!!!  That said, this store always jacks prices waaaay up.

That's unreal.  I have batch 1 and 2 for the 10 year.  Opened the 10 year when I got it a couple of years ago and still 3/4 full.  Not very good imo.  I'll probably just pass batch 2 to one of my friends.  These bottles are way more hype than the juice that's in them.  Haven't had the 12 though.

• Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,104
    Emjoying some of this while watching the NCAA Tournament. A little hot at 116 proof, but very tasty.

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286
    Emjoying some of this while watching the NCAA Tournament. A little hot at 116 proof, but very tasty.

Love all the names and bottles of what everyone is showing on this thread! I look forward to the future of my whiskey tasting days it’ll take a while. 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Love all the names and bottles of what everyone is showing on this thread! I look forward to the future of my whiskey tasting days it’ll take a while. 
    Here's a name for you....

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,286

Here's a name for you....

😂😂😂 thanks I really needed that looks very tasty too will keep all these names for future references 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Never had Chicken Cock, but I have had Fighting Cock bourbon 
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985

I don't understand the ice in the drinks.  I had a buddy that would do that w cognac.  Totally changes the dynamic of the drink.

Obviously I'm a neat drinker.  I think it has more flavor if no ice is added.
  • Options

I don't understand the ice in the drinks.  I had a buddy that would do that w cognac.  Totally changes the dynamic of the drink.

Personal preference. Some I drink neat, others with ice or splash of water.
  • Options

Personal preference. Some I drink neat, others with ice or splash of water.
    Splash of water I get.  If it's too hot it can smooth it out.  Ice for me changes it completely and I don't find me getting all the flavors.  i don't know if that's just me though?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,600
    edited March 2023
    I’ll repeat the story than Julian Van Winkle (and family) often drink it with an ice cube and a twist of orange. To each their own 
  • Options
    I’ll repeat the story than Julian Van Winkle (and family) often drink it with an ice cube and a twist of orange. To each their own 
    The grandson or whatever went into a NY bar and ordered it like that and the bartender refused to sell it to him that way.  I know the story and found it very interesting as I wouldn't do that to any PVW pour either.
  • Options
    So my question to everyone.  Do you notice a difference in the flavors if you have ice or not?
  • Options
    So my question to everyone.  Do you notice a difference in the flavors if you have ice or not?
    I feel like we've had thus discussion before lol

When it's chilled, either with ice or whiskey rocks, I tend to get more of the vanilla flavors. When it's neat, I tend to get more caramel flavors and get the spice if the mash bill contains a good dose of rye. Personally, I can drink it either way. For normal 80-100 proof bottles, I typically drink it neat. Once you start getting into the higher proof (110 or higher), I'll drink it with ice. While I've been drinking whiskeys for a while, I still can't do those neat. Just burns way too much and the cold/water helps with that.
  • Options
    I feel like we've had thus discussion before lol

When it's chilled, either with ice or whiskey rocks, I tend to get more of the vanilla flavors. When it's neat, I tend to get more caramel flavors and get the spice if the mash bill contains a good dose of rye. Personally, I can drink it either way. For normal 80-100 proof bottles, I typically drink it neat. Once you start getting into the higher proof (110 or higher), I'll drink it with ice. While I've been drinking whiskeys for a while, I still can't do those neat. Just burns way too much and the cold/water helps with that.
    TY.  I believe we all stated how we drink but not the different flavors if we do alter it.

I have in the past, placed ice in a bourbon.  I always felt like it was missing something, so I only do neat or a drop of water.
  • Options
    I don't add ice, unless I'm making a whisky cocktail.  I say, enjoy it how you like it!

That said, I do like to add some drops of water to cask strength whiskey at times.  I find it to be a ton of fun...especially for CS Scotches.  You can really dig deep and unearth some great flavors and scents by just adding a drop or two of water.  What sucks is when you take it too far and those flavors get broken or lost with the water.  At that point, you can add back some from the bottle and it "usually" gets you back to where you were. 

• Options
    smile6680smile6680 Posts: 342
    I may be looking for a single ticket on the upcoming tour. Just for the hell of it. What would be an even trade for a ticket. 

I have an extra bottle(s) of Blantons, Stagg (formerly known as Jr.}, and E.H Taylor Rye. 
  • Options
    smile6680 said:
    I may be looking for a single ticket on the upcoming tour. Just for the hell of it. What would be an even trade for a ticket. 

I have an extra bottle(s) of Blantons, Stagg (formerly known as Jr.}, and E.H Taylor Rye. 
    I wouldn't give up a PJ ticket for any of that.