Options

Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,300
    I'll be honest, I don't drink a lot of Irish whiskeys, but Jameson is probably the starting point for that type. I know lots of people like Tullamore Dew.

Scotch is going to be more earthy and smokey due to the peat used during malting. I find Speysides to be the most palatable when getting into Scotch. I started with Glenlivet 12 and branched from there. I typically drink either Speyside or Highland Scotches. Glenlivet and Macallan are two that I drink regularly.

Bourbon is going to be sweeter with a lot of caramel flavors. I started with Jim Beam in my college days and that's pretty typical I think. Honestly, I like pretty much any bourbon, but my regulars are offerings from Woodford, Old Forester, and 4 Roses.

Everybody here will have their own recommendations, so just go try them all! I know a lot of Scotch drinkers here really like the peat ones, so maybe they will offer some suggestions on those.
    Thanks for the tips! I’ll be hitting up my Wineguy store they have everything 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I'll be honest, I don't drink a lot of Irish whiskeys, but Jameson is probably the starting point for that type. I know lots of people like Tullamore Dew.

Scotch is going to be more earthy and smokey due to the peat used during malting. I find Speysides to be the most palatable when getting into Scotch. I started with Glenlivet 12 and branched from there. I typically drink either Speyside or Highland Scotches. Glenlivet and Macallan are two that I drink regularly.

Bourbon is going to be sweeter with a lot of caramel flavors. I started with Jim Beam in my college days and that's pretty typical I think. Honestly, I like pretty much any bourbon, but my regulars are offerings from Woodford, Old Forester, and 4 Roses.

Everybody here will have their own recommendations, so just go try them all! I know a lot of Scotch drinkers here really like the peat ones, so maybe they will offer some suggestions on those.
    Thanks for the tips! I’ll be hitting up my Wineguy store they have everything 
    No problem! Welcome to the clique!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Beginner here can someone recommend a starting point? Southern Comfort is out for me since that was the 1st liquor to get smashed on at 15 years old! I can’t even smell it 
    Same here!  I drank way too much of it my freshman year of college and haven't been able to drink it since.

It all depends on your taste buds bud.  I was the odd one that loved islays my first go.  The peater the better imo but maybe try something subtle like a glen livet 12.  If you want to try a little smoke try johnny walker black.  Bourbon is way too sweet for me so I'm usually good for one glass.  My personal fave is makers mark.  Good luck!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Beginner here can someone recommend a starting point? Southern Comfort is out for me since that was the 1st liquor to get smashed on at 15 years old! I can’t even smell it 
    Same here!  I drank way too much of it my freshman year of college and haven't been able to drink it since.

It all depends on your taste buds bud.  I was the odd one that loved islays my first go.  The peater the better imo but maybe try something subtle like a glen livet 12.  If you want to try a little smoke try johnny walker black.  Bourbon is way too sweet for me so I'm usually good for one glass.  My personal fave is makers mark.  Good luck!
    Thanks! 
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,110
    I would also say be careful with the higher proof stuff (110 and higher). If you're not used to drinking high proof liquor, those can turn you off rather quickly because the alcohol is too overwhelming. If you get one of those, I would start by adding a few drops of water. You can remove the drops for subsequent drinks as you get used to the proof.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    mcgruff10 said:

LOL...that's my same bourbon story. I couldn't even smell bourbon/whiskey for years and then about 30 years ago someone offered me Crown Royal at a party and I drank way too much and almost Jimi Hendrixed myself. Woke up on my back with puke all over me.

I prefer sipping good bourbon now. It can get a little out of hand some nights but I haven't gone over the top again. I think I'm safe now.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    mcgruff10 said:

LOL...that's my same bourbon story. I couldn't even smell bourbon/whiskey for years and then about 30 years ago someone offered me Crown Royal at a party and I drank way too much and almost Jimi Hendrixed myself. Woke up on my back with puke all over me.

I prefer sipping good bourbon now. It can get a little out of hand some nights but I haven't gone over the top again. I think I'm safe now.
    Jim Beam at a party at the Navy Lodge in Norfolk, VA for me. Never again. 
  • Options
    I would also say be careful with the higher proof stuff (110 and higher). If you're not used to drinking high proof liquor, those can turn you off rather quickly because the alcohol is too overwhelming. If you get one of those, I would start by adding a few drops of water. You can remove the drops for subsequent drinks as you get used to the proof.
    Yeah I’m not into high proof alcohol at all will take it nice and slow to see if I can develop a taste for it! 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,889
    mcgruff10 said:

Tequila for me. Can't even smell it.

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Tequila for me. Can't even smell it.

Uhmm love me some margaritas on a hot day sitting in my backyard barbecue going! But I’m really looking forward to opening my taste buds with some whiskey 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    Jose try Dewars scotch if you want a nice whiskey that is not strongly flavored and very smooth. One ice cube and sip away until you can appreciate it neat. Then move on to the single malts.  Same here on crown royal, even seeing the purple bag makes makes me gag.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    Eagle rare, Buffalo Trace, Basil Haydens, four roses. hell even try some Jack Daniels single barrel stuff.  All of these are readily available @josev
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    Other than the whiskey itself, one thing I'd highly recommend for someone getting into it, is getting some decent whiskey glasses.  For me, I almost enjoy smelling my whiskey as much as I enjoy drinking it.  You have to experience the whole thing.  You can get some Glen Carin whiskey glasses on Amazon for pretty cheap.  They are my goto when I want to experience a pour.  Makes a world of difference!
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    mca47 said:
    Other than the whiskey itself, one thing I'd highly recommend for someone getting into it, is getting some decent whiskey glasses.  For me, I almost enjoy smelling my whiskey as much as I enjoy drinking it.  You have to experience the whole thing.  You can get some Glen Carin whiskey glasses on Amazon for pretty cheap.  They are my goto when I want to experience a pour.  Makes a world of difference!
    agreed....my wife went to Scotland a few years ago and brought me back a few nice glasses
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    Jose try Dewars scotch if you want a nice whiskey that is not strongly flavored and very smooth. One ice cube and sip away until you can appreciate it neat. Then move on to the single malts.  Same here on crown royal, even seeing the purple bag makes makes me gag.

Eagle rare, Buffalo Trace, Basil Haydens, four roses. hell even try some Jack Daniels single barrel stuff.  All of these are readily available @josev
    mca47 said:
    Will do thanks for the tips guys! 
  • Options
    @josevolution we expect real time updates ;)
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    @josevolution we expect real time updates ;)
    lol ok I feel the pressure 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    I had scotch on a fishing trip. being one of the 'men'. slugged it back. Like drinking gasoline.
    Should be handled with care I guess. HhhhhhhhheeeeeeeeeEeeEeE

• Options
    Brought this bottle of Pisco back with me from Chile it’s made from grapes it’s more of a brandy was drinking Pisco sours last night, will be trying some whiskey once I’m recuperated from surgery next Thursday.
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    Bought this today. Can’t wait to try it.  
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Will you just sip on it? Or on ice like everything else you drink 😝
  • Options
    edited March 2023
    No ice Jose!! Check that , depending on the scotch/bourbon I might put a rock or two in it.  Like I got a bottle of oban and just didn't like the taste.  I added a couple of ice cubes and it was drinkable.  But usually I like drinking scotch without ice.  You'd be proud of me; a few weeks ago my wife and I had a bottle of cab and I didn't put any ice in it! lol
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,256
    mcgruff10 said:
    Always a solid choice!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    No ice Jose!! Check that , depending on the scotch/bourbon I might put a rock or two in it.  Like I got a bottle of oban and just didn't like the taste.  I added a couple of ice cubes and it was drinkable.  But usually I like drinking scotch without ice.  You'd be proud of me; a few weeks ago my wife and I had a bottle of cab and I didn't put any ice in it! lol
    Ah now your talking Cab yes I hope it accompanied nice pasta or good cut of meat! Now back to whiskey unfortunately for me I have to wait just had surgery yesterday I’m recovering in hospital be home tomorrow but can’t drink any alcohol for at least the next two weeks. 
  • Options
    ST66483ST66483 Posts: 692
    Pisco sours are delicious - We have Chilean relatives and when they visit Pisco is one of the joys of their visits (aside from seeing them of course).
  • Options
    Delish!!!

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Delish!!!

Uhmm jealous 
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    I got the Ron Swanson lagavulin recently! I’ll post a pic later 
  • Options
    Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    Snagged a bottle of Blanton's today