Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,936
    Saw a FB post w a guy and 6 bottles of Buffalo Trace in his cart.  I told him that isn't rare but if people like you buy all of it up then it will create a false scarcity.

He replied that they do not see it down where he is often so he loads up.  

I told him to re read what I wrote...

Buffalo Trace rare?  Really?

Also A local spot I go to has Blantons for get this... $169!  GTFOH.
    Yes....hardly see it anymore around here. Too many bourbon bros.

A week or so ago someone just happened to be at the local Meijer and scored a 10 year Old Rip Van Winkle....$78

The manager told him that they only get single bottles and they randomly put it on a shelf. He just got lucky as hell.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Saw a FB post w a guy and 6 bottles of Buffalo Trace in his cart.  I told him that isn't rare but if people like you buy all of it up then it will create a false scarcity.

A week or so ago someone just happened to be at the local Meijer and scored a 10 year Old Rip Van Winkle....$78

The manager told him that they only get single bottles and they randomly put it on a shelf. He just got lucky as hell.
     Bought LotB for 140 6 years ago.  Drank it w my buddies for our 40ths.  Those days are over, lol.
    here is some of my current inventory that is considered rare around here....probably take me quite a while to finish it

Buffalo Trace....at least 2 bottles
    Weller SR...2 bottles
    Weller Antique
    Blanton's...2 bottles
    Col Taylor SB  1 bottle

I have several opened bottles. New Riff, Chattanooga, Woodford DO, Clyde May's, Wild Turkey, etc. 

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mca47 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    Won a chance to buy a bottle of Weller Full Proof at Total Wine...is that a big deal? Not super familiar with Weller
    Weller Full Proof is fantastic (at retail).  I won a Weller FP store pick from Total Wine, last year or the year before and it is delicious!  The year before that I was selected for a EH Taylor Full Proof.  Also fantastic.  Those Total Wine "lotteries" or whatever they are, are pretty much my only chance at getting really good bottles.  I'm not a hunter, I don't wait in lines....I'm more of a "I'm gonna check out the whiskey section" while I'm at the store and hope for the best.  That and Total Wine's thing.  
    How does the Total Wine thing work? Do you have to spend a certain amount there to become eligible for their lottery or is it open to all?
  • Saw a FB post w a guy and 6 bottles of Buffalo Trace in his cart.  I told him that isn't rare but if people like you buy all of it up then it will create a false scarcity.

I've literally had dreams about this grocery store scenario... several times. Always woke up to great disappointment. Haha.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,244
    mca47 said:
    Jumb0 said:
    Won a chance to buy a bottle of Weller Full Proof at Total Wine...is that a big deal? Not super familiar with Weller
    Weller Full Proof is fantastic (at retail).  I won a Weller FP store pick from Total Wine, last year or the year before and it is delicious!  The year before that I was selected for a EH Taylor Full Proof.  Also fantastic.  Those Total Wine "lotteries" or whatever they are, are pretty much my only chance at getting really good bottles.  I'm not a hunter, I don't wait in lines....I'm more of a "I'm gonna check out the whiskey section" while I'm at the store and hope for the best.  That and Total Wine's thing.  
    How does the Total Wine thing work? Do you have to spend a certain amount there to become eligible for their lottery or is it open to all?
    Yeah, you just have to be part of their Rewards Program where you enter your phone number when checking out.  Basically, if you spend enough in a year, you reach a certain level..."Grand Reserve" or something.  A couple times per year, they'll release the allocated bottles and they'll email you where you can sign up.  It'll show you what they are releasing and you can "rank" them or put them in the order you prefer.  There's usually anywhere from 6-12 bottles you can "rank".  A couple months later, they'll email you telling you if you won or didn't.  If you did, you have x-amount of days to pick it up.  I've been lucky twice.  So, probably 2 out of 8 or so times I've done it I was picked.  Not great odds, but not bad either.  Mind you, this is ALL of Phoenix.  I wonder if smaller areas have better odds.
    Saw a FB post w a guy and 6 bottles of Buffalo Trace in his cart.  I told him that isn't rare but if people like you buy all of it up then it will create a false scarcity.

That's crazy.  I get if you NEVER see it, grabbing a couple bottles, but to clean them out?  Not cool.
    Reg Buffalo Trace can be found everywhere here.  Literally every grocery store has it.  It is funny when out of towners come to visit in the winter and spring...they scoop them up like crazy.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,524
    Be careful what you  buy....

‘More lucrative than heroin.’ KY liquor store raids part of sweeping bourbon investigation.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,597
    Interesting. I wonder if you drank a boot, if the average drinker would taste the diff. immediately. Prob not. Idk.

This stinks
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,448
    With the frenzy for these products, this isn't a surprise. 
  • So counterfeiting.  I'm surprised this isn't more prevalent.  In the old Bourbon groups I was in the made you measure the labels in order to sell or raffle them.
    So counterfeiting.  I'm surprised this isn't more prevalent.  In the old Bourbon groups I was in the made you measure the labels in order to sell or raffle them.
    When we finish an allocated bottle at the bar or an event it is either destroyed or the boss/owner takes it. We don't give them to customers because of the bootlegs.
    The subjects of tonight's private tasting.  

• The subjects of tonight's private tasting.  

Dram is a fav of mine, Owl seems to be overpriced by me, Russels is good but never had the Barrel proof!

Would like to hear your tasting notes after please!

Dram is a fav of mine, Owl seems to be overpriced by me, Russels is good but never had the Barrel proof!

I will not be part of the event tonight. Though I'm  sure I'll  be able to sample in the future.
    However,  I did just take part in an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof private barrel selection.

I will not be part of the event tonight. Though I'm  sure I'll  be able to sample in the future.
    However,  I did just take part in an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof private barrel selection.
    How'd you like that?  One of my locals did it and I loved it.

How'd you like that?  One of my locals did it and I loved it.
    I'm not a bourbon guy and definitely do not have a bourbon palate. The one I liked was liked by our lead taster but overall the panel chose one that was closer to the "generic" EC barrel proof.

I just purchased the Russels Reserve yesterday. 71$. I'm excited to give it a try.

Russell's 13 year is an incredible bottle!  I've never seen one at MSRP, but if I did, it's an immediate purchase!  I did have a pour at a bar a while back and it lives up to the hype for sure!  I have some Russell's bottles (10, 10 single barrel store pick, and another) and 13 is next level!
  • mca47 said:

Russell's 13 year is an incredible bottle!  I've never seen one at MSRP, but if I did, it's an immediate purchase!  I did have a pour at a bar a while back and it lives up to the hype for sure!  I have some Russell's bottles (10, 10 single barrel store pick, and another) and 13 is next level!
    That's what I hear. Maine is a controlled state. Can only be sold at MSRP. It was at a small store that I hardly ever go in. 

I've been on a hot streak lately. I found two bottles each of Stagg Jr batches 17&18. 

smile6680 said:
    mca47 said:

That's what I hear. Maine is a controlled state. Can only be sold at MSRP. It was at a small store that I hardly ever go in. 

I've been on a hot streak lately. I found two bottles each of Stagg Jr batches 17&18. 

The pros of a controlled state!  Every non-chain liquor store here (AZ) has everything marked waaaay up.
    Nice find on the Stagg Jr's!  The only one I have is batch 15, and I got it from a friend who had an extra.  I have never seen one in the wild that wasn't listed for $500 min.  
  • mca47 said:
    smile6680 said:
    mca47 said:

The pros of a controlled state!  Every non-chain liquor store here (AZ) has everything marked waaaay up.
    Nice find on the Stagg Jr's!  The only one I have is batch 15, and I got it from a friend who had an extra.  I have never seen one in the wild that wasn't listed for $500 min.  
    Stag Jr for $500?  They're nuts.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,582

Clear alcohol is for rich women on diets 
  • smile6680smile6680 Posts: 335
    I picked a couple bottles EH Taylor rye this weekend. I wasn't thrilled the price went up to 70$ though. Hard to turn them down when I haven't seen any Taylor products on the shelf the last couple of years.
    I saw some posts that Buffalo Trace had EHT and Blanton's available the same day on Friday I believe...it was raining like hell so I guess people just didn't show up to wait in line. That would have been a great day to visit.

• smile6680smile6680 Posts: 335
    I saw some posts that Buffalo Trace had EHT and Blanton's available the same day on Friday I believe...it was raining like hell so I guess people just didn't show up to wait in line. That would have been a great day to visit.

This was in Maine. I wouldn't wait in line for anything. Maybe when I'm visiting the distilleries down in Kentucky this fall. The last time I visited the distilleries about seven years ago there wasn't really any lines that I can remember. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    Beginner here can someone recommend a starting point? Southern Comfort is out for me since that was the 1st liquor to get smashed on at 15 years old! I can’t even smell it 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    Beginner here can someone recommend a starting point? Southern Comfort is out for me since that was the 1st liquor to get smashed on at 15 years old! I can’t even smell it 
    Any specific type you're interested in trying? Each type has its own distinct characteristics. 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    I had a 13 year old Jamison at a memorial for a friend that I liked but that’s about it, I’m completely a novice when it pertains to Whiskey 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,103
    edited March 2023
    I'll be honest, I don't drink a lot of Irish whiskeys, but Jameson is probably the starting point for that type. I know lots of people like Tullamore Dew.

Scotch is going to be more earthy and smokey due to the peat used during malting. I find Speysides to be the most palatable when getting into Scotch. I started with Glenlivet 12 and branched from there. I typically drink either Speyside or Highland Scotches. Glenlivet and Macallan are two that I drink regularly.

Bourbon is going to be sweeter with a lot of caramel flavors. I started with Jim Beam in my college days and that's pretty typical I think. Honestly, I like pretty much any bourbon, but my regulars are offerings from Woodford, Old Forester, and 4 Roses.

Everybody here will have their own recommendations, so just go try them all! I know a lot of Scotch drinkers here really like the peat ones, so maybe they will offer some suggestions on those.