Whiskey Clique

Comments

• MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,482
    If I want to spend $100-150 on a bottle that is easily found,
    is there something worth that price over the normal $40 bottle I usually drink?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    Malroth said:
    If I want to spend $100-150 on a bottle that is easily found,
    is there something worth that price over the normal $40 bottle I usually drink?
    Can you be more specific?
    Bourbon?
    Scotch? Posted or non?
    Rye?
    American Whiskey?
    Rye, if I have to choose.
    Don't even know what posted means.
    Malroth said:
    Rye, if I have to choose.
    Don't even know what posted means.
    Whoops thats my phone auto-correcting peated vs. non peated scotch
    As for Rye in that price range Whistlepig has a variety of options.
    Willet makes some limited releases that depending on your location can be in that price range.

I'm sure others on here have recommendations. 
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    Russel's Reserve makes a good rye

Michter's
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    Here are some more options for Rye in the $100-150 range...

Peerless Small Batch
    Barrel Cask Strength 4yr 
    Black Maple Hill
    Angels Envy 
    Thanks fellas.
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099

Just got my latest quarterly Flaviar delivery today. I like the regular Glenlivet 12, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the rum barrels affect the flavors.
    edited February 2021
     One thing I like to recommend is Private Barrel Selections aka Store Picks. These are very unique and if your local store has pickers with great pallets you can get some awesome whiskeys.

Today I was part of 2 tasting panels for George Remus Cask Strength and Knob Creek Bourbon.
    It will be interesting to see how they turn out when the bottles arrive later this year.

Post edited by Bentleyspop on
  •  One thing I like to recommend is Private Barrel Selections aka Store Picks. These are very unique and if your local store has pickers with great pallets you can get some awesome whiskeys.

Today I sat in on a tasting panel for George Remus Cask Strength. It will be interesting to see how it turns out when the bottles arrive in September. 

Is this where the local gets to purchase a barrel and have it bottled?  I don't think my place does it but I can ask.
     One thing I like to recommend is Private Barrel Selections aka Store Picks. These are very unique and if your local store has pickers with great pallets you can get some awesome whiskeys.

Today I sat in on a tasting panel for George Remus Cask Strength. It will be interesting to see how it turns out when the bottles arrive in September. 

Is this where the local gets to purchase a barrel and have it bottled?  I don't think my place does it but I can ask.
    Yup
    Right now we have barrel picks from George Dickel, Heavens Door, and Woodford Reserve.

•  One thing I like to recommend is Private Barrel Selections aka Store Picks. These are very unique and if your local store has pickers with great pallets you can get some awesome whiskeys.

Yup
    Right now we have barrel picks from George Dickel, Heavens Door, and Woodford Reserve.

Any chance you can get me a Dickel bottle?  That had been my bourbon of choice lately and is about to be done and would LOVE to have a barrel pick!

Yup

Any chance you can get me a Dickel bottle?  That had been my bourbon of choice lately and is about to be done and would LOVE to have a barrel pick!
    DM your contact info and we'll work something out.

• bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925

Today I was part of 2 tasting panels for George Remus Cask Strength and Knob Creek Bourbon.
    It will be interesting to see how they turn out when the bottles arrive later this year.

I agree. Some of the tastiest bourbons I’ve had have been store picks.  Four Roses and a Weller Full Proof specifically come to mind. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576

Just got my latest quarterly Flaviar delivery today. I like the regular Glenlivet 12, so I'm looking forward to seeing how the rum barrels affect the flavors.
    I saw an ad for that and I'm very intrigued.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    edited February 2021
    rgambs said:

Opened it tonight and I really enjoyed it. Being aged in the run barrels gives it a nice, sweet finish. It's also really smooth, hardly any bite at all. For the taste, I get a good bit of citrus, mainly orange. Also taste some melon, but I can't quite determine which one. I'll have to be careful with this one. I could drink it all day if I could. If you get the chance, get a bottle and give it a try. If you like regular Glenlivet 12, I bet you will like this one.
  • Anything Cask strength from a store pick I would be happy to try!
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    rgambs said:

Opened it tonight and I really enjoyed it. Being aged in the run barrels gives it a nice, sweet finish. It's also really smooth, hardly any bite at all. For the taste, I get a good bit of citrus, mainly orange. Also taste some melon, but I can't quite determine which one. I'll have to be careful with this one. I could drink it all day if I could. If you get the chance, get a bottle and give it a try. If you like regular Glenlivet 12, I bet you will like this one.
    Sounds incredible! What did it run you for the bottle?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

It was my bottle selection from Flaviar, so it was included in the cost of the subscription. I think it runs in the $35-$40 range for a 750 ml bottle though.
  • RS151862RS151862 Pittsburgh, PA Posts: 2,621
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:

It was my bottle selection from Flaviar, so it was included in the cost of the subscription. I think it runs in the $35-$40 range for a 750 ml bottle though.
    It’s $35 in PA
    Pittsburgh 1998 • Pittsburgh 2006 • 2012 Isle Of Wight Festival • 2012 Made In America Festival • Baltimore 2013 • Seattle 2013
    St. Paul 2014 • Mexico City 2015 • Philadelphia II 2016 • Ottawa 2016 • Amsterdam I & II 2018 • Wrigley Field II 2018 • Phoenix 2022
    Apollo Theater 2022 • Chicago I 2023

Any of you ever had anything from Hillrock?
    This was tasty...

• DavidDDavidD Posts: 2,436
    edited February 2021

Had glenlivet founders reserve last week. I really enjoyed it.
    I had glenlivet a few years ago.  Don’t remember what it was, just remember it didn’t do anything for me, so I stayed away. 
    My dad picked up the bottle of founders reserve and, I like I said I enjoyed it. I might have to try this one. 
    edited February 2021
    Any of you ever had anything from Hillrock?
    This was tasty...

That hill rock look really nice. 
    I’m having some good old Canadian whisky tonight. 

Post edited by DavidD on
    Also having some brandy 😁

My wife surprised me with a killer bottle of scotch and new glass for Valentine’s Day.  Cheers!
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    ^ nice work! I’m still waiting for my vday present from my wifey...might be waiting a while 😂
    mcgruff10 said:
    My wife surprised me with a killer bottle of scotch and new glass for Valentine’s Day.  Cheers!
    Nice! Enjoy!
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Definitely enjoy that one. My wife’s uncle and I absolutely destroyed a bottle of it in record time around the holidays. Was ugly. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I like the morangies!!

For me, the Glens go
    Livet
    Morangie

Fidditch

All the rest.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    I still gotta try glenfiddich; maybe it will be my next bottle.