• bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    For you bourbon nerds.....

Is the green one worth 115?
    No. $30-$35 max. 
    WTH do you find it for that price?
    Both Wellers Special Reserve and Eagle Rare should be in the $35-40 range.
    Anything more is too much anything less is great.
    Eagle Rare on the island is still around that. BT is now $90 a bottle.  Those Wellers, if you see them, are around 100.

I've never seen the CYPB.
    Buffalo Trace is $90?  Holy shit man.  That's insanity.  I would not drink bourbon lol

Why do you think I didn't buy it?

Blantons seems the bourbon to flip now too.  I like that one also but not paying stupid prices.
    Blantons is probably my favorite bourbon that is somewhat regularly available (still allocated).  $65 and actually was on sale for $58 last week.  Score!  Would never pay $100+ though.

Yeah NY is on another level...  Place is ruined by opportunists.
  • rgambs said:
    I am really not impressed with Maker's Mark.
    I've tried a few times to give it a chance and it just comes across as hot.  Not particularly smooth, no particular character, just hot whiskey flavor... Maybe I'm just not a bourbon guy.  
    I agree. All Maker's products fall flat for me. They are so accessible, so I want to like them, but they lack that oaky caramel profile that I enjoy in other bourbons. Just tons of cinnamon and ethanol. Some other good wheaters out there, but nothing really stands up to the Weller line. Buffalo Trace just knows how to get great flavors out of everything they make. Those bastards.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 
    Eagle Rare on the island is still around that. BT is now $90 a bottle.  Those Wellers, if you see them, are around 100.

Buffalo Trace is $90?  Holy shit man.  That's insanity.  I would not drink bourbon lol

That's crazy!  It's $25 here in AZ and it's everywhere.  Grocery stores, liquor stores...all $25.
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

Blantons seems the bourbon to flip now too.  I like that one also but not paying stupid prices.
    Blantons is probably my favorite bourbon that is somewhat regularly available (still allocated).  $65 and actually was on sale for $58 last week.  Score!  Would never pay $100+ though.

Blantons is good, but not worth more than retail IMO.  A "smooth" drinker, but lacking character for anything over retail.  
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    rgambs said:
    I am really not impressed with Maker's Mark.
    I've tried a few times to give it a chance and it just comes across as hot.  Not particularly smooth, no particular character, just hot whiskey flavor... Maybe I'm just not a bourbon guy.  
    I agree. All Maker's products fall flat for me. They are so accessible, so I want to like them, but they lack that oaky caramel profile that I enjoy in other bourbons. Just tons of cinnamon and ethanol. Some other good wheaters out there, but nothing really stands up to the Weller line. Buffalo Trace just knows how to get great flavors out of everything they make. Those bastards.
    Even Makers 46?  I don't care for regular MM but I've always liked the 46
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

I've never had Blanton's.  I keep looking for it around here.  I've heard some say it's overrated but they probably mean at secondary prices.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

I've never had Blanton's.  I keep looking for it around here.  I've heard some say it's overrated but they probably mean at secondary prices.
    If you got a blind pour and were asked "how much is this whiskey worth?"
    Personally, I'd say around $40-50.  It's good, but I wish it wasn't a proofed down as much as it is.
    I'm talking about Single Barrel Blantons.  I haven't had Blantons Gold or their "Straight from the Barrel" versions, which I would imagine taste like what you want the Single Barrel to be.  
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Ok, I know this is near to blasphemy, but has anyone here tried that Jack Daniel's Honey stuff?
    I was given a shot at a party and it went down smooth like butter.  Too sweet for sippin', but for shooting it was bee's knees.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

All personal preference, but I would not say it's overrated at retail price.  Everything is overrated at secondary pricing in my opinion.  Unless it's a few dollars extra, no bourbon is worth the stupid prices.  Blanton's at $60-$70 is well worth it to me.  Hope you can find it sometime or at least get a pour.

• Gern Blansten said:
    Even Makers 46?  I don't care for regular MM but I've always liked the 46
    If I had to rank 'em, Maker's 46 cask strength would top the list. But I'd still pass it up for most other brands. MM was my gateway into "premium" bourbons, so maybe that has something to do with it...
    mca47 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

Personally, I'd say around $40-50.  It's good, but I wish it wasn't a proofed down as much as it is.
    I'm talking about Single Barrel Blantons.  I haven't had Blantons Gold or their "Straight from the Barrel" versions, which I would imagine taste like what you want the Single Barrel to be.  
    Gold is ridiculously good.  The extra 10 proof points makes a big difference, in a good way.  If you haven't had Rock Hill Farms, it's very close to Blanton's Gold.  Same mashbill.  A few points less at 100 proof.  Just aged in a different warehouse is my understanding.  $60 vs. $120-$150, so a much better value.

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    bbiggs said:
    mca47 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

Gold is ridiculously good.  The extra 10 proof points makes a big difference, in a good way.  If you haven't had Rock Hill Farms, it's very close to Blanton's Gold.  Same mashbill.  A few points less at 100 proof.  Just aged in a different warehouse is my understanding.  $60 vs. $120-$150, so a much better value.

How do you drink your bourbon or does it depend on the bourbon 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • exploderballexploderball Posts: 150
    edited February 2021
    Gern Blansten said:
    Definitely overrated at secondary prices. It's a single barrel offering, so occasionally you get a clunker that feels overpriced at $60. And sometimes you get a honey barrel that's freaking amazing. Sadly, they seem to be pushing out more clunkers these days as they try to meet demand...

For anybody who can't find Blanton's, look for John J. Bowman Single Barrel instead. It's brewed, fermented, and distilled by Buffalo Trace. Then it's trucked up to Virginia, re-distilled in Bowman's copper pot still, and aged for 8-10 years. Not sure if they're in all 50 states, but it's a very good Blanton's substitute for ~$50. 
    Post edited by exploderball on
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mca47 said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

How do you drink your bourbon or does it depend on the bourbon 
    Always neat unless I’m doing cocktails. I don’t dislike rocks or anything. It’s just the way I prefer it when drinking straight 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Read a story about Julian van winkle’s son in New York ordering pappy (why he would pay that price no one knows) with a couple rocks and an orange twist, which is how the family drinks bourbon, and the bartender basically refusing to serve it that way...then he told him his name. 
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    rgambs said:
    Ok, I know this is near to blasphemy, but has anyone here tried that Jack Daniel's Honey stuff?
    I was given a shot at a party and it went down smooth like butter.  Too sweet for sippin', but for shooting it was bee's knees.
    Yes, I have a mostly full liter of it in the cabinet. I think it's pretty good, but I don't drink it that often. I can usually take 3 or 4 sips of it before the sweetness takes over. If I go with a flavored whiskey, it's usually Fireball or Crown Royal Vanilla.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Read a story about Julian van winkle’s son in New York ordering pappy (why he would pay that price no one knows) with a couple rocks and an orange twist, which is how the family drinks bourbon, and the bartender basically refusing to serve it that way...then he told him his name. 
    I never thought about trying that, but it seems like a hint of citrus could really complement and open up the flavor.  Might have to try that...
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambs said:
    Find their Barrel Proof and buy it.  Do not be mislead by the Old No 7 labeling!
    rgambs said:
    I never thought about trying that, but it seems like a hint of citrus could really complement and open up the flavor.  Might have to try that...
    Definitely. I do it here and there if I have an orange around, ever since reading that. I enjoy it 
    Cliffy you have a link for this article?
    That's an awesome story.  That bartender must have felt about 2 inches tall lol.  I have a buddy that bought a 15 year pappy and thought maybe it was a phony due to something with the label.  He e-mailed Buffalo Trace with his concern and his reply email came from none other than Julian himself.  Pretty damn cool.  The bottle was confirmed legit too.

• bbiggs said:
    That's an awesome story.  That bartender must have felt about 2 inches tall lol.  I have a buddy that bought a 15 year pappy and thought maybe it was a phony due to something with the label.  He e-mailed Buffalo Trace with his concern and his reply email came from none other than Julian himself.  Pretty damn cool.  The bottle was confirmed legit too.

Really neat story.  I still wouldn't have served him that way, lol!

Something else we should chat about is PVW bottles being counterfeit.  When you are done w a high-end bottle break it.  Don't sell it.  Don't recycle it whole.  Use it for target practice and make sure it's broke.

Someone from the distillery stole the wrapping they use to seal them and people are making fake PVW bottles.

Crazy right?
    bbiggs said:

Really neat story.  I still wouldn't have served him that way, lol!

Something else we should chat about is PVW bottles being counterfeit.  When you are done w a high-end bottle break it.  Don't sell it.  Don't recycle it whole.  Use it for target practice and make sure it's broke.

Someone from the distillery stole the wrapping they use to seal them and people are making fake PVW bottles.

Crazy right?
    People sell empty bottles on eBay.  Pretty much any expensive/sought after whiskey has empty bottles being sold.  The empties are pricey, but almost always purchased by the counterfeiters.  
    Jerks!
    People buy empty whiskey bottles and do what with them?  
    mcgruff10 said:
    Fill them with lesser whiskey and sell them as an original.
    Example: Buy an empty Pappy bottle, fill it with Weller, seal it, and sell it for $500.
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    Got to try these today...

mca47 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Fill them with lesser whiskey and sell them as an original.
    Example: Buy an empty Pappy bottle, fill it with Weller, seal it, and sell it for $500.
    Daaaaaamn I never would have guessed that.  Wow
    Got to try these today...

I feel like you want to send me that bottle of macallan.  I ll even pay for shipping.  ;)
    how did you like it 
    mcgruff10 said:
    Cliffy you have a link for this article?
    I read a few books over the past year on bourbon. I think it was either in the sally van winkle book or pappyland, the book by Wright Thompson from espn. 
    bbiggs said:

I definitely enjoy that story. That is pretty awesome. Julian seems like an awesome and grounded dude. Even if it’s impossible to get, I am glad they ended up where they did.