Whiskey Clique

Comments

• Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,720
    Can't go wrong with Woodford.  I've been making my own Old Fashioned's lately....delicious.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,931
    Can't go wrong with Woodford.  I've been making my own Old Fashioned's lately....delicious.

good stuff....I grabbed a bottle of their double oaked
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,242

good stuff....I grabbed a bottle of their double oaked
    I dig the Double Oaked.  I have noticed a slight difference from bottle to bottle of the Double Oaked.  I know it's not a single barrel, which does fluctuate.  Figured Woodford would have that blend down by now.  Either way, good stuff.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,722
    What does woodford go for around you guys?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    mcgruff10 said:
    What does woodford go for around you guys?
    A couple of examples....

Straight Bourbon $39.99
    Rye Private Barrel $44.99
    Double Oak $64.99
    Master Very Fine Bourbon $139.99
    Not terrible.  Might be my next bottle of bourbon.  
  • markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,099
    Love Woodford. My favorite bourbon. They have a bit more rye in their mash than others and I love that peppery bite at the end.
  • If you haven't tried it, I think it's worth it.

Basil Haydens Rye.  Fantastic tasting.
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,482
    For you bourbon nerds.....

Is the green one worth 115?
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,925
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 
  • MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,482
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

thanks.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
    Malroth said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

thanks.
    No problem. Would hate to see you overpay like that. 
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

thanks.
    How does it compare to makers? What do you think they could sell it for at retail and be reasonable? Definitely more than the current MSRP, I’d assume?
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

thanks.
    How does it compare to makers? What do you think they could sell it for at retail and be reasonable? Definitely more than the current MSRP, I’d assume?
    They're comparable imo.  Both wheated bourbons.  I enjoy them both a lot, but if I had each in front of me and someone wanted to mark up the Weller SR I'd definitely leave with a Makers and be just as happy.  It's $30-$35 retail by me, so I'd have to say that is the true number.  Maybe $40, but north of that just doesn't make sense.  I get Weller 12 for $50 and 107 for $60 for comparison.  I know a lot of retailers will go higher than that, so I'm probably lucky, but there are too many good bourbons that don't say Weller on the label to justify stupid pricing.

Sorry.  Long winded answer, but hope it helps.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    It is. Very. I’d like to get my hands on weller 12 considering it’s essentially the closest thing to pappy and maybe slightly easier to get. It’s impossible in PA though with our bullshit state stores. At this point makers is what I drink the most of, so just curious how all these other wheat mash Bill ones are, especially with the history...even if they’ve all been sold 15 times.

I guess my point is I’d rather Buffalo trace mark it up and make it mildly accessible than it being impossible to find and $350 for 12 on the secondary market. I’ve been bitching about this for weeks though so I’ll stop lol
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I am really not impressed with Maker's Mark.
    I've tried a few times to give it a chance and it just comes across as hot.  Not particularly smooth, no particular character, just hot whiskey flavor... Maybe I'm just not a bourbon guy.  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
    It is. Very. I’d like to get my hands on weller 12 considering it’s essentially the closest thing to pappy and maybe slightly easier to get. It’s impossible in PA though with our bullshit state stores. At this point makers is what I drink the most of, so just curious how all these other wheat mash Bill ones are, especially with the history...even if they’ve all been sold 15 times.

I guess my point is I’d rather Buffalo trace mark it up and make it mildly accessible than it being impossible to find and $350 for 12 on the secondary market. I’ve been bitching about this for weeks though so I’ll stop lol
    Your gripe is a valid one, my man.  The whole game with scarcity and secondary pricing is nonsense.  I refuse to play.  If I don’t get it for retail, I don’t drink it.  It sucks that PA makes it so tough to get at a fair price.  To your point, I’m not sure why Buffalo Trace continues to keep prices where they’re at.  They know damn well what’s going on out there and they could easily raise prices and still sell it all in a heartbeat.  Secondary is bullshit, but what’s worse is these retail stores that jack up pricing to ridiculous levels.  The bottom will fall out someday when supply catches up to demand.  
  • bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 
    WTH do you find it for that price?
  • rgambs said:
    I am really not impressed with Maker's Mark.
    I've tried a few times to give it a chance and it just comes across as hot.  Not particularly smooth, no particular character, just hot whiskey flavor... Maybe I'm just not a bourbon guy.  
    Try a drop of water.  That should open it right up to something new.

I actually bought some limestone water, same stuff that they make the bourbon with.  It might be snake oil but I like it in the full proof bourbons sometimes.
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 
    Binny's.  It is a Chicagoland liquor store chain.  Don't get me wrong, guys.  It's not like these bottles are regularly available or sitting on shelves.  There is a list of bourbon customers that the store keeps and the coveted bottles never leave the back where they store stuff.  That said, I have purchased every Weller bottle (most more than once) at retail except for CYPB.  I get multiple 12's and 107's each year.  Special Reserve actually DOES hit the shelf, but that's the only one.  Full Proof is a tough one.  They get a few cases a year (3 per case) for the last couple of years and there are ~75 people wanting those.  Luckily, the GM knows and likes me as I've been a loyal shopper for a long time.

By the way, the only Weller I'd pay over retail for if I couldn't get it is Full Proof.  Due to scarcity and how damn good it is, that one is worth a markup.  The others are not imo, even though they're excellent in their own right.
  • bbiggs said:
    By the way, the only Weller I'd pay over retail for if I couldn't get it is Full Proof.  Due to scarcity and how damn good it is, that one is worth a markup.  The others are not imo, even though they're excellent in their own right.
    I'm still looking for a reasonably priced Antique collection William Larue Weller bottle.  It's still one of my favorites that I have tried.  No way I am paying 6-800 for that bottle though when they get it for 120 or so.

Just Like I won't buy any PVW or Old Rip at exuberant prices anymore either.

Gone are the days when I could buy a bottle of PVW 20YO for $220...
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,518
    edited February 2021
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 
    Both Wellers Special Reserve and Eagle Rare should be in the $35-40 range.
    Anything more is too much anything less is great.
  • bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 
    Eagle Rare on the island is still around that. BT is now $90 a bottle.  Those Wellers, if you see them, are around 100.

I've never seen the CYPB.
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 
    Eagle Rare on the island is still around that. BT is now $90 a bottle.  Those Wellers, if you see them, are around 100.

Buffalo Trace is $90?  Holy shit man.  That's insanity.  I would not drink bourbon lol

BT is $40 around me.  Tempo, caskers has it for $27.99.  I like buffalo trace but don't love it because for some reason I taste cinnamon when I drink it.  
    https://www.caskers.com/buffalo-trace-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey/
  • mcgruff10 said:
    BT is $40 around me.  Tempo, caskers has it for $27.99.  I like buffalo trace but don't love it because for some reason I taste cinnamon when I drink it.  
    https://www.caskers.com/buffalo-trace-kentucky-straight-bourbon-whiskey/
    OMG that is fantastic.  Bottle looks different?

TY!
  • bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

Buffalo Trace is $90?  Holy shit man.  That's insanity.  I would not drink bourbon lol

Why do you think I didn't buy it?

Blantons seems the bourbon to flip now too.  I like that one also but not paying stupid prices.
    bbiggs said:
    bbiggs said:
    Malroth said:

No. $30-$35 max. 

Why do you think I didn't buy it?

Blantons seems the bourbon to flip now too.  I like that one also but not paying stupid prices.
    Blantons is probably my favorite bourbon that is somewhat regularly available (still allocated).  $65 and actually was on sale for $58 last week.  Score!  Would never pay $100+ though.