Options

Am I overreacting by being upset at this Seinfeld joke?

123457»

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited December 2017
    dankind said:
    Well said Who P and thank you for being able to read what was written by the OP and register their true intentions.
    The UG hive mind that keeps bubbling to the surface around here is what keeps me away much of the time. People are allowed to have different view points, without having to be hammered repeatedly until they agree or go away just it will stop. 
    Very poor form on a few around here.
    It's an open forum. Unfortunately, reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit.

Having said that, more than a few folks did specifically answer the OP's questions -- basically, yes, there are more distasteful jokes, so do yourself a favor and stop watching -- in the beginning of this thread.

But apparently, true to his form of asking for advice and then not taking it, he kept watching anyway until there was another joke to offend him that he could bring up here to get even more attention, which he then took as ridicule -- and maybe one or two comments were of that nature but certainly not a whole hive.

You're not despised, @Thoughts_Arrive . If you were, people wouldn't keep trying to help you. You're just annoying at times. So am I. So is everyone who has posted in this thread. Some especially so. But we're all in this thing together. We all have to live with ourselves and each other if we so choose. If we can change the traits about us that lead to continued conflict without losing too much of ourselves along the way, then that's part of the journey. If we can't, then tolerance is also part of the journey. 
    Wrong there. I have not  watched an episode since the suicide episode. The dingo scene I saw in an earlier episode. And I am not seeking attention.
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    darwinstheorydarwinstheory LaPorte, IN Posts: 5,779
    I just....I'm so....I can't even!
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    edited December 2017
    I'm surprised you weren't turned off by this episode from the previous season. It's in the same ballpark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=300Q0_B1uYc
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    dankind said:
    Well said Who P and thank you for being able to read what was written by the OP and register their true intentions.
    The UG hive mind that keeps bubbling to the surface around here is what keeps me away much of the time. People are allowed to have different view points, without having to be hammered repeatedly until they agree or go away just it will stop. 
    Very poor form on a few around here.
    It's an open forum. Unfortunately, reading comprehension isn't everyone's strong suit.

Having said that, more than a few folks did specifically answer the OP's questions -- basically, yes, there are more distasteful jokes, so do yourself a favor and stop watching -- in the beginning of this thread.

But apparently, true to his form of asking for advice and then not taking it, he kept watching anyway until there was another joke to offend him that he could bring up here to get even more attention, which he then took as ridicule -- and maybe one or two comments were of that nature but certainly not a whole hive.

You're not despised, @Thoughts_Arrive . If you were, people wouldn't keep trying to help you. You're just annoying at times. So am I. So is everyone who has posted in this thread. Some especially so. But we're all in this thing together. We all have to live with ourselves and each other if we so choose. If we can change the traits about us that lead to continued conflict without losing too much of ourselves along the way, then that's part of the journey. If we can't, then tolerance is also part of the journey. 
    I saw that people answered his question and suggested he might not want to watch the rest of the series.  But there was snarky criticism too, mainly "you have no sense of humor or taste" and that's what bothered me.  It may have all been in fun but some people take teasing better than others.  I just didn't like seeing people going at him for having a different sense of humor.

I do agree that most of us tend to be better off if we don't take everything too seriously.  I try to laugh at nearly everything, especially myself.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,233
    I'm surprised you weren't turned off by this episode from the previous season. It's in the same ballpark. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=300Q0_B1uYc

Weird hearing Newman's voice and its not Wayne Knight.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    edited December 2017
    I like a lot of dark/offensive humor. The problem with this is that it was both dark and offensive, but it wasn't a good joke. It wasn't redeemable in any way. There are a lot of jokes about suicide that are funny, and I'm a person who's been very personally affected by it. This joke just wasn't funny, so it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. 

Most common way to do a joke as dark as this is shock factor. My favorite example of this is the famous Jimmy Carr joke: "If only Africa had more mosquito nets... then every year we could save millions of mosquitoes from dying needlessly of aids." That's a funny joke not because aids is a laughing matter, but because it has a good combination of being cleverly shocking and offensive. The Seinfeld joke was not clever at all, leaving it just as being offensive.
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,603
    ehbacon said:
    I like a lot of dark/offensive humor. The problem with this is that it was both dark and offensive, but it wasn't a good joke. It wasn't redeemable in any way. There are a lot of jokes about suicide that are funny, and I'm a person who's been very personally affected by it. This joke just wasn't funny, so it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. 

Most common way to do a joke as dark as this is shock factor. My favorite example of this is the famous Jimmy Carr joke: "If only Africa had more mosquito nets... then every year we could save millions of mosquitoes from dying needlessly of aids." That's a funny joke not because aids is a laughing matter, but because it has a good combination of being cleverly shocking and offensive. The Seinfeld joke was not clever at all, leaving it just as being offensive.
    I very much agree with this. The joke was not in the least bit funny.
  • Options
    AnnafalkAnnafalk Sweden Posts: 4,004
    edited December 2017
    I’m feeling a little unsure about how I feel about this actually.
    Seinfeld can pick up something comical in this tragic situation, I guess that’s actually a good thing. It can be very relieving to joke about even the darkest of things, everyone knows it’s just a joke. No one needs to take it personally.

The way a person reacts to a joke can be very different and the reaction can’t be wrong.
    One react as one react.

Post edited by Annafalk on
  • Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    Society is getting waaaay too sensitive and pc. I appreciate the intent...to treat people with respect and equality, no matter their differences. But in reality, all that's being taught is to not say certain words. The actual problem is rarely addressed. What's the difference between saying "the r word" and saying the actual word? They both have the same meaning. If we had true equality and respect for each other, we'd be able to use whatever words we want. 
    I, too, have a twisted sense of humor, which I feel is even more scrutinized because I'm a female. Maybe having felt censored myself is why I think comedy should have no boundaries...as long as it isn't outright hateful (which isn't funny anyways). It helps if the comic has the right audience. But if someone tells a joke about certain taboo topics, it better be damn funny. And Seinfeld's stand-up just isn't imo. But the show itself I find hilarious. 

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Society is getting waaaay too sensitive and pc. I appreciate the intent...to treat people with respect and equality, no matter their differences. But in reality, all that's being taught is to not say certain words. The actual problem is rarely addressed. What's the difference between saying "the r word" and saying the actual word? They both have the same meaning. If we had true equality and respect for each other, we'd be able to use whatever words we want. 
    I, too, have a twisted sense of humor, which I feel is even more scrutinized because I'm a female. Maybe having felt censored myself is why I think comedy should have no boundaries...as long as it isn't outright hateful (which isn't funny anyways). It helps if the comic has the right audience. But if someone tells a joke about certain taboo topics, it better be damn funny. And Seinfeld's stand-up just isn't imo. But the show itself I find hilarious. 

You’re high!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746

The "r word"? 
    Let me go through my files here..

Redrock
    Riotgrl
    Rob
    Rollings
    RogueStoner... 
    ... RogueStoner... AH AH!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Riot act?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    ehbaconehbacon Posts: 1,964
    dankind said:

You’re high!
    username checks out
    Listen to some of my music here (if you want to): [url="My soundcloud"]
  • Options
    Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305
    Again, I've been hearing for years about how we're all too sensitive and PC and you have to be so careful about what you say but I tend to think that what changes have happened have been for the better.  I know you're saying that the only boundary should be hate, but then you'll have someone argue that they weren't being hateful.  I'm not interested in going back to jokes about the stupidity of various nationalities or ethnic groups, the weakness/frivolity of women, the stereotyping of gays or whatever group someone enjoys picking on at the moment.  I think of a boss I used to have who'd say incredibly unkind things to people and when their feelings were hurt, he was all "I was just joking!  You're so sensitive!"  He knew exactly what he was doing.  He had a knack for choosing the staff who were most vulnerable.  It's a power trip.  "I look good because you're so ridiculous."
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    edited December 2017
    Ripped?
    Reefer?
    Rasta?
    Ron Don?
    Rejection?
    Rook?
    Rebound?
    Rotisserie?
    Robust?
    Rotation?
    lol

Post edited by SmallestOceans on
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16