Options

Am I overreacting by being upset at this Seinfeld joke?

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    What he pretty much is doing is making suicide survivors ashamed and mocking them. Imagine being one of those people and hearing this. Pretty much encouraging them.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    rgambs said:
    You should just be offended by the fact that it's the most unfunny show ever. 
    Are you saying that Two and a Half Men is funnier than Seinfeld?
    Big Bang Theory?
    Joanie Loves Chachi is funnier than Seinfeld??

Yes,  I have laughed at least once at each of those shows. Which is more than I have laughed at anything Seinfeld. Seinfeld sucks, always has always will.
    Yeah, sure, the rest of the world is the crazy ones and you're right, Joanie Loves Chachi is funnier than Seinfeld lol 
    :dizzy:
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    What he pretty much is doing is making suicide survivors ashamed and mocking them. Imagine being one of those people and hearing this. Pretty much encouraging them.
    Do you think Jerry Seinfeld wants people to kill themselves?

• Options
    rgambs said:

No. But imagine being in mental crisis and hearing that you're a failure for failing to kill yourself and then hearing solutions to try again. If someone was in a fragile state and heard this "joke" it'd be like kicking them when they're down.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    rgambs said:

No. But imagine being in mental crisis and hearing that you're a failure for failing to kill yourself and then hearing solutions to try again. If someone was in a fragile state and heard this "joke" it'd be like kicking them when they're down.
    Yeah, I understand that.
    The problem I have with it is that it is a never ending progression of taboo subjects and I don't support that at all.

For the record, my brother committed suicide and this doesn't bother me. 
    If you can't joke about the things in life that are painful, what's the point of joking at all?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Yeah, I understand that.
    The problem I have with it is that it is a never ending progression of taboo subjects and I don't support that at all.

For the record, my brother committed suicide and this doesn't bother me. 
    If you can't joke about the things in life that are painful, what's the point of joking at all?
    I wouldn't joke about topics like this. I'd find something else to joke about.
    Each to their own.
    Sorry about your brother.
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,739
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Big Bang Theory?

Yes,  I have laughed at least once at each of those shows. Which is more than I have laughed at anything Seinfeld. Seinfeld sucks, always has always will.
    Yeah, sure, the rest of the world is the crazy ones and you're right, Joanie Loves Chachi is funnier than Seinfeld lol 
    Sorry you're all butthurt to find out not everyone loves Seinfeld. You want to think it's funny, fly at it. But don't go off on people who can think independently and don't like it.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Big Bang Theory?

Sorry you're all butthurt to find out not everyone loves Seinfeld. You want to think it's funny, fly at it. But don't go off on people who can think independently and don't like it.
    I'm not butthurt, I'm very amused.
    You present your opinions as facts, you don't give any objective criteria to back up those opinions, and you seem to be a classic hater that rags on everything that is universally loved.  

I'm not even a fan of Seinfeld, I think it's very overrated, but it's surely better and funnier than Joanie Loves Chachi lol
  • Options
    northerndragonnortherndragon somewhere, nowhere, anywhere Posts: 9,739
    It's comedy, there is no objective criteria. It doesn't make me laugh, therefore it isn't funny. 

If that makes me a hater so be it. At least I'm a classic. Those never go out out of style.
    Anything you lose from being honest
    You never really had to begin with.

Sometimes it's not the song that makes you emotional it's the people and things that come to your mind when you hear it.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    edited December 2017
    For every few people that like Seinfeld, there are people who like Duck Dynasty, Ghost Whisperer, Joanie Loves Chachi (well regarded as one of the worst shows in television history), and Northern Exposure.
    It is all relative-- that is why there is variety.  If you don't like it, turn it off.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Everyone’s has different tastes and will handle things differently. I have no problem whatsoever with someone taking offense or being upset at a joke or comedian.  The HUGE problem I have is the guy who goes on a rampage about the joke or comedian and makes it a personal fight to eliminate the material all together.  Something upsets you, move on. Life is WAY to short.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    I agree with George Carlin's concept that anything can be used in humor if done right but I haven't seen that proven with suicide.  Even Carlin's suicide routine didn't work well for me.  Seinfeld's, definitely not. 

This works better for me (starting at 0:48):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNTxZ_gt10

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    I’d say you’re overreacting, but that doesn’t make the core feeling invalid.

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    It's pretty light humor to me.  But OP, if it affects you more adversely, just turn away from it.

It takes a good bit for me to say "what the fuck, man, really??"  But I've certainly said it as a response to a few jokes here and there.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    I never liked Seinfeld the show, but I have to say I've enjoyed Seinfeld the stand up comic. He's a real pro. 

I don't love that bit  about suicide, but I also wouldn't ask for it to be censored. I think the idea of the series was not to be deliberately offensive per se, but also not to make any attempt not to be offensive. If you continue on, OP, there will be more of this, and yes, I think he does make fun of the Holocaust, at least indirectly. , 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Well, the retailer said no to a return and exchange for something else.
    Looks like I'll have to sell it on eBay.
  • Options
    Also, found this offensive. Making fun of a distressed mother whose baby got taken and killed by a dingo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYTIGXvc88Y

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    You're kidding about the party scene, I hope?
    :prayer:
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    No. Do you even know what it is in reference to?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,635
    Maybe the dingo ate your baby! 
    Classic.  Love that one.
    You can choose to be offended by everything if you want, that is your choice.
    I choose to live by laughter, even through tears.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Time to move along everyone.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    Come on Hedo, imagine if a Dingo ate your baby and you watch this episode.
    You'd feel like all the people of the world are Dingos and they're all trying to eat your baby!
  • Options
    hauntingfamiliarhauntingfamiliar Wilmington, NC Posts: 10,217
    My grandmother committed suicide, so this one is personal to me.

Mine too, before I was born.... suicide is just so f'd up. I feel the need to be more of a "mother" to my mother more of the time than a daughter. Hers was ripped away from her and the residual effects never seem to end. I happen to enjoy Seinfeld and Larry David's comedy and don't take offense to it, but as Who Princess said you are not overreacting when you have your own feelings about it and you are entitled to them.
  • Options
    My grandmother committed suicide, so this one is personal to me.

Mine too, before I was born.... suicide is just so f'd up. I feel the need to be more of a "mother" to my mother more of the time than a daughter. Hers was ripped away from her and the residual effects never seem to end. I happen to enjoy Seinfeld and Larry David's comedy and don't take offense to it, but as Who Princess said you are not overreacting when you have your own feelings about it and you are entitled to them.
    Yeah same, when my dad was 9. I think it has affected him a great deal.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    I do know and still love the episode.

I mean, c'mon!
    "So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!"
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

I mean, c'mon!
    "So, I'm chasing these doves down the street and she's screaming at the top of her lungs, and then when the magician comes back from Europe, two of them turned brown!  Well I followed the instructions!"
    Where's that quote from?
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I agree with George Carlin's concept that anything can be used in humor if done right but I haven't seen that proven with suicide.  Even Carlin's suicide routine didn't work well for me.  Seinfeld's, definitely not. 

This works better for me (starting at 0:48):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNTxZ_gt10

Cool interview.
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    hedonist said:

I mean, c'mon!
    Where's that quote from?
    Later in the same episode. 

Kramer!
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,729
    edited December 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gPJpzgPReE

I have only seen a handful of episodes on television and always laughed. I thought I'd buy the whole series as a dvd box set for myself.
    I got to this episode and I don't know, don't feel like continuing.
    I felt sickened at this "joke".
    As someone who has gone through dark times and been close to ending it I was angered.
    I wish I could return my box set at the store but I don't think they'd refund me.

Are there any more shit "jokes" like this in the remainder of the series?

As I explained when private messaged me over this, no, there's no more jokes that I think will upset you. There is one that might upset someone like you, but not you in particular. In the episode entitled "The Masseuse," Kramer suggests that adoption leads to serial killing. Someone who is passionate about adoption like you are about suicide prevention would probably take offense. 

Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com