Options

Am I overreacting by being upset at this Seinfeld joke?

Comments

• Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Speaking of suicide, I always read that those that jump off bridges and survive say they regretted it as soon as they jumped off and were falling. Pretty sad to think that those who don't survive probably all regretted it as soon as they let go and plummeted.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    if memory serves, didnt the stand up part tie in with the episode in some way? wasnt that the basic format?
    Yeah, the title of the episode is ''the suicide''. 
    so the next question is, was there anything within the actual episode that was also offensive to you?

memory says the stand up stuff was riffs off of what was in the episode?
    not that I can recall from memory.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,829
    fwiw my take on tbe series as a whole....
    this is a group of self-absorbed ,largly indifferent to others assholes.
    and the point of the series is to hold a mirror to american society as a whole to show just how fucked up some people can be. we get to see a little bit of ourselves in these atrocious human beings.

choose to do or be better or dont. up to you. I will say there are much better things in the real world to be outraged about and do something about , than the fictional world of Seinfeld.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    fwiw my take on tbe series as a whole....
    this is a group of self-absorbed ,largly indifferent to others assholes.
    and the point of the series is to hold a mirror to american society as a whole to show just how fucked up some people can be. we get to see a little bit of ourselves in these atrocious human beings.

choose to do or be better or dont. up to you. I will say there are much better things in the real world to be outraged about and do something about , than the fictional world of Seinfeld.
    Noted. Thank you. I'll sit on this for a while and see if I feel like watching again or selling my box set.
  • Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    edited December 2017
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    What he pretty much is doing is making suicide survivors ashamed and mocking them. Imagine being one of those people and hearing this. Pretty much encouraging them.
    Do you think Jerry Seinfeld wants people to kill themselves?

No. But imagine being in mental crisis and hearing that you're a failure for failing to kill yourself and then hearing solutions to try again. If someone was in a fragile state and heard this "joke" it'd be like kicking them when they're down.
    I love Seinfeld the show but hate the guy's stand-up, personally. This bit made me chuckle a bit but to be fair, I haven't been suicidal since at least Tuesday. 

My point is that it's ok for you to be disgusted by this joke just like it should be ok for me to cope with my life with inappropriate humor. We're all in this struggle together and should use whatever tools we have to get through it and help each other along the way. 

By the way, December 1st was the 3 year anniversary of my failed attempt. That's one failure I celebrate every damn day, no matter how dark it is. 
     seems strange to say but congrats for not succeeding.
    I know right? Best fail ever. And I can't believe how much I would've missed! :)
    that IS a question that came to mind.

What in these three years would you have personally not been a part of? Any profound insights that have come to help you on this rest of your journey? That has made living just that much easier? or at least more tolerable?
    Well, first of all it would have to be my kids. I never realized how important I was to them...how I taught them things that no one else in the family could or would have. That was pretty huge. Next I'd have to say I would have missed out on some amazing friends and crazy good times. I can honestly say I've laughed more in the last 2 years (it took about a year to find the right meds), than I have in the previous 15 years combined. And if all that laughter isn't worth living for, I don't know what is. So yeah, despite some really tough and painful times, the good outweighed the bad by far. 

Edit: I should add that one of the most profound things I've learned is to be myself. Life is precious but never more so than when we allow ourselves to live it as we truly are. There will always be critics and haters but we all have a purpose...even if we can't see the difference we make in others' lives, in the world. At least I like to think so. :)
    Post edited by RogueStoner on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:
    What he pretty much is doing is making suicide survivors ashamed and mocking them. Imagine being one of those people and hearing this. Pretty much encouraging them.

No. But imagine being in mental crisis and hearing that you're a failure for failing to kill yourself and then hearing solutions to try again. If someone was in a fragile state and heard this "joke" it'd be like kicking them when they're down.
    I love Seinfeld the show but hate the guy's stand-up, personally. This bit made me chuckle a bit but to be fair, I haven't been suicidal since at least Tuesday. 

My point is that it's ok for you to be disgusted by this joke just like it should be ok for me to cope with my life with inappropriate humor. We're all in this struggle together and should use whatever tools we have to get through it and help each other along the way. 

By the way, December 1st was the 3 year anniversary of my failed attempt. That's one failure I celebrate every damn day, no matter how dark it is. 
    I know right? Best fail ever. And I can't believe how much I would've missed! :)

What in these three years would you have personally not been a part of? Any profound insights that have come to help you on this rest of your journey? That has made living just that much easier? or at least more tolerable?
    Well, first of all it would have to be my kids. I never realized how important I was to them...how I taught them things that no one else in the family could or would have. That was pretty huge. Next I'd have to say I would have missed out on some amazing friends and crazy good times. I can honestly say I've laughed more in the last 2 years (it took about a year to find the right meds), than I have in the previous 15 years combined. And if all that laughter isn't worth living for, I don't know what is. So yeah, despite some really tough and painful times, the good outweighed the bad by far. 
    Must be nice. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:

:)
  • Options
    RogueStonerRogueStoner Sunny AZ Posts: 1,716
    dankind said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mickeyrat said:
    rgambs said:

Must be nice. 
    It was nice. Seeing as you were the source of some of those laughs. :hug:
  • Options
    Comedy shouldn't be tamed or muted.  Everything should be open for a laugh.

There are comedians now that are numbing it up so they won't offend people.  We are becoming a society where everyone has a voice about something which is good but can backfire on us in a heartbeat.

One of the greatest insult artists recently passed, his name was Don Rickles.  It was considered an honor to be humiliated by him in public.  Imagine that, people went to see him with the chance of being made fun of in a room full of people?!?
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Amen, tempo!
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Hobbes said:
    Bristow, VA. 2010. Ed's rant.

:whistle:

What did he say?
    I'm not sure you could handle his comments, but don't let me stop you from searching it out. Your fandom might you question, though, based upon your (over)reaction to Seinfeld's joke.
  • Options
    FoxyRedLaFoxyRedLa Lauren / MI Posts: 4,810
    I agree with gambs tempo and other remarks about no limits. All hail Lisa Lampinelli!! :rock_on: Joan Rivers!! 

The job of a comedian is to reach all subjects. Make us deal with emotions. Do I think you're overreacting, I don't know. I'm not offended. Have I been offended, hell yes I have. But I learn from experiences and often find I'm sensitive and naive and it helps me grow. It may take a minute but I learn.

Oh please let it rain today.
    Those that can be trusted can change their mind.
  • Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,747
    Now we're trying to find things to be offended about from Seinfeld???  A show that has been off the air for almost 20 years....the internet really is a wild place. 
  • Options
    Now we're trying to find things to be offended about from Seinfeld???  A show that has been off the air for almost 20 years....the internet really is a wild place. 

He's living in the PAST, man. He's hung up on some joke from the NINETIES, man!

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

What did he say?
    I'm not sure you could handle his comments, but don't let me stop you from searching it out. Your fandom might you question, though, based upon your (over)reaction to Seinfeld's joke.
    Google got me this...
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/131887/bristow-va-fanviews-here-5-13-10/p3

So he said people should kill themselves?
    Not cool.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

What did he say?
    Google got me this...
    http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/131887/bristow-va-fanviews-here-5-13-10/p3

Not cool.
    He's also said that he "almost" wishes harm on gun lobbyists or gun owners?  I forget?
  • Options
    eds cover of masters of war sounds prettu heartfelt......
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,778
    rgambs said:
    There are bad jokes, there are jokes that are fucked up, there are jokes that are too soon and too personal, but the issue is the joke and it's context, not the joke's subject matter.

You don't joke about the Holocaust at a memorial, you don't tell suicide jokes to Chester Bennington's family, but both have a time and place where they should be wholly acceptable.
    Have I been taken aback by jokes at times, absolutely.  I've found myself ashamed at laughing at some jokes at times, saying as I laugh, oh my God that's just wrong. As long as the intent is comical in its intent and not mean spirited, let it go. dont take things so personal. We've all been the butt of a joke at one time or another. Life's too short dude. 

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    edited December 2017
    I don't know, I just think mental illness and suicides should be off limits.
    You will likely be doing yourself a favour if you decide that nothing is off limits in comedy. And also if you acknowledge that you being offended by something should have no impact on what others do or say.

As for boycotting the whole show because a few jokes bothered you ... yes, you are overreacting a lot. sure, you have a right to whatever you feel, of course, but that doesn't mean there is no such thing as an overreaction. Sorry, but I don't understand why you care so much if a joke offended you. What impact does it actually have on your life that Seinfeld said a joke that you are not amused by? I sincerely don't understand why this would cause you to never want to watch one of the best TV shows ever. Also... perhaps you would benefit from being able to laugh at yourself more? Or at least learned to think every little thing isn't a big deal? You do seem to take yourself very, very seriously, and forgive me, but I suggest this is one of the main reasons you seem to have so many issues that trouble you in your social life. Perhaps you need to work on growing a thicker skin. Not discarding an entire tv series because one joke or one topic offended you might be a good starting point.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    Hey, it helps me cope. Just 3 more days...
    But I only joke about myself. I need laughter as much as I need air. 

Brian, really glad you're still around, dude. I'm sure many are.
    And yeah, I know how sweet life can be when you get that second chance. That was when I chose to live. 
    Good choice, RS!  I'm glad you made that choice!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746

There are comedians now that are numbing it up so they won't offend people.  We are becoming a society where everyone has a voice about something which is good but can backfire on us in a heartbeat.

One of the greatest insult artists recently passed, his name was Don Rickles.  It was considered an honor to be humiliated by him in public.  Imagine that, people went to see him with the chance of being made fun of in a room full of people?!?
    My wife can't stand Don Rickles humor but I love it because I know pretty much every thing he said was the opposite of it's meaning and his delivery left me in stitches, sometimes to the point where I practically busted a gut laughing.  Very sad not to have him in this world any longer. 

All that said, I still can't think of any comedian who could make suicide humor work.  I don't recall Rickles ever broaching that subject. Maybe he could have made me laugh, but a doubtful maybe.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,634
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    brianlux said:

My wife can't stand Don Rickles humor but I love it because I know pretty much every thing he said was the opposite of it's meaning and his delivery left me in stitches, sometimes to the point where I practically busted a gut laughing.  Very sad not to have him in this world any longer. 

All that said, I still can't think of any comedian who could make suicide humor work.  I don't recall Rickles ever broaching that subject. Maybe he could have made me laugh, but a doubtful maybe.
    https://youtu.be/RbAAVLcMzr4
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454
    pjhawks said:
    Exactly what I was thinking 
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Ahhhh Bill Hicks.  The thinking mans comedian.

Sad to lose him so early/
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:

Ahhhh Bill Hicks.  The thinking mans comedian.

Sad to lose him so early/
    Bill Hicks, George Carlin, & Greg Giraldo are my favorites!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ucRM0eYD7U

A child's rhyme stuck in my head...
    It said "Life is nothing but a dream."
    I've spent so many years in question
    To find I'd known this all along.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,238
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

What did he say?
    Google got me this...

Not cool.

I must say that the fact that the post you linked was made by "mulva9" is freaky and/or funny considering the topic of this thread.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,302
    edited December 2017

Yes. A resounding Yes.

This is 30 seconds of a tv show from 25 years ago.

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

What did he say?
    Google got me this...

Not cool.

I must say that the fact that the post you linked was made by "mulva9" is freaky and/or funny considering the topic of this thread.
    Not sure I understand
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

What did he say?
    Google got me this...

Not cool.

Not sure I understand
    Mulva relates to a particular episode.