John McCain

Comments

• PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,473
    edited May 2018
    Well, McCain does have a history of voting against civil rights legislation, and he's made some racist comments over the years.
    He has publicly referred to "gooks". One can justify that all he or she wants, but that's not acceptable for politician even if he was a POW in Vietnam.
    He's also done some blatantly hypocritical things, like do as I say, not what I do kind of things.
    Also, fucking Sarah Palin. I hold McCain directly responsible for that fucking train wreck, and her influence has actually been really terrible for American politics in all kinds of crazy ways. I think McCain's decision to accept THAT as his running mate (a decision he's now attempting to kind of apologize for, but that doesn't change anything) reveals a rather nasty and slimy and immoral side to him that people now don't want to acknowledge.

He's not a great guy. Him dying doesn't make him any better. I mean... he's definitely better than a lot of other politicians, especially from within today's GOP, but that's not exactly a feather in his cap! I personally don't think he's been horrible enough to loathe him as strongly as Drowned Out does (btw, he didn't say anything that would warrant a ban. He really only quoted a song that EV covers and said "fuck him".  Most of us have said worse of many people!) ... But I think McCain's illness, as well as his vocal dislike of Trump, are causing people to put on blinders. He's not been some hero politician at all, but that seems to be how a lot of people want to frame him now.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    edited May 2018
    quote deleted
    It seems the left are suffering from short-term memory loss as long as that person comes out against Trump. 
    Post edited by Sea on
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,821
    edited May 2018

Mcgruff is “the left”? 
    Post edited by Sea on
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    edited May 2018
    Well....interesting.  Got my second warning ever for that.  I was sloppy in making that point and apologized to Kat for the misunderstanding.  Calling Bob and Ed POS was meant to be sarcasm - I need to stop assuming people here know my views, I haven't been around enough lately for that...but I would never call Bob Dylan and Eddie Vedder pieces of shit lol.  I haven't followed the drama about the comment from the Trump subordinate and I don't really care either way.  My position is that McCain doesn't deserve this hero legacy that both sides of the aisle seem to be promoting.  I will come back later with a list of his war-mongering ways, if people are interested.  But the guy has been probably the most vocal, prominent hawk in Washington for years.  He's at the fore of every foreign coup, and beating the drums in DC at every opportunity.
    Like I said - the song perfectly describes McCain's role in government for the last thirteen millennia, or however long he's held office.    It's not like these masters of war are the faceless 'they'.   Dylan not naming names didn't make it any less obvious who it was about - it only made the song timeless.  IMO, JM is directly responsible, or shares responsibility, for the deaths of thousands.  People here wish death on others for much less on a regular basis. 

mcgruff10 said:
    "Masters Of War"

Come you masters of war
    You that build all the guns
    You that build the death planes
    You that build all the bombs
    You that hide behind walls
    You that hide behind desks
    I just want you to know
    I can see through your masks

You that never done nothin'
    But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    Like it's your little toy
    You put a gun in my hand
    And you hide from my eyes
    And you turn and run farther
    When the fast bullets fly

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    But I see through your eyes
    And I see through your brain
    Like I see through the water
    That runs down my drain

You fasten all the triggers
    For the others to fire
    Then you set back and watch
    When the death count gets higher
    You hide in your mansion'
    As young people's blood
    Flows out of their bodies
    And is buried in the mud

You've thrown the worst fear
    That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    You ain't worth the blood
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    You might say that I'm young
    You might say I'm unlearned
    But there's one thing I know
    Though I'm younger than you
    That even Jesus would never
    Forgive what you do

Let me ask you one question
    Is your money that good
    Will it buy you forgiveness
    Do you think that it could
    I think you will find
    When your death takes its toll
    All the money you made
    Will never buy back your soul

And I hope that you die
    And your death'll come soon
    I will follow your casket
    In the pale afternoon
    And I'll watch while you're lowered
    Down to your deathbed
    And I'll stand over your grave
    'Til I'm sure that you're dead

yikes. won't be seeing this guy around much longer, me thinks. 
    Very very angry dude. I m not sure why people are this angry about McCain. 
    It seems the left are suffering from short-term memory loss as long as that person comes out against Trump. 
    noooooo shit.  And it's only americans that qualify for dignity in death.  Never a foreign leader we've deemed a tyrant.  In that case, party leaders can openly use cheesy b-movie lines to describe their death.  See Hillary on Ghadaffi.

PJ_Soul said:
    Well, McCain does have a history of voting against civil rights legislation, and he's made some racist comments over the years.
    He has publicly referred to "gooks". One can justify that all he or she wants, but that's not acceptable for politician even if he was a POW in Vietnam.
    He's also done some blatantly hypocritical things, like do as I say, not what I do kind of things.
    Also, fucking Sarah Palin. I hold McCain directly responsible for that fucking train wreck, and her influence has actually been really terrible for American politics in all kinds of crazy ways. I think McCain's decision to accept THAT as his running mate (a decision he's now attempting to kind of apologize for, but that doesn't change anything) reveals a rather nasty and slimy and immoral side to him that people now don't want to acknowledge.

He's not a great guy. Him dying doesn't make him any better. I mean... he's definitely better than a lot of other politicians, especially from within today's GOP, but that's not exactly a feather in his cap! I personally don't think he's been horrible enough to loathe him as strongly as Drowned Out does (btw, he didn't say anything that would warrant a ban. He really only quoted a song that EV covers and said "fuck him".  Most of us have said worse of many people!) ... But I think McCain's illness, as well as his vocal dislike of Trump, are causing people to put on blinders. He's not been some hero politician at all, but that seems to be how a lot of people want to frame him now.

THanks for having my back PJS.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
    Oh. It did not occur to me that the sarcastic POS part would be taken seriously. :lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,769
    Please add a note after sarcastic posts that could be taken the wrong way so everyone knows. :) When Google picks up your posts and mails them around the world in their Alerts, no one can tell it was meant as sarcasm. Thanks, all. :)
    Falling down,...not staying down
    edited May 2018
    Does anyone remember when there was some kind of semi-widespread effort to normalize a "sarcasm symbol" for use after sarcastic comments in message boards? It was years ago. I remember thinking it was a great idea, but for some strange reason it really didn't catch on. I believe it was simply "/s".
    Kat said:
    Please add a note after sarcastic posts that could be taken the wrong way so everyone knows. :) When Google picks up your posts and mails them around the world in their Alerts, no one can tell it was meant as sarcasm. Thanks, all. :)
    I got your message just as I sat down for a meeting.  I was like....'who is this host Kat thinks I'm insulting and calling names?.....OH SHIT, EDDIE IS MY HOST!?' :lol:...Lesson learned, and will do.  
    Well....interesting.  Got my second warning ever for that.  I was sloppy in making that point and apologized to Kat for the misunderstanding.  Calling Bob and Ed POS was meant to be sarcasm - I need to stop assuming people here know my views, I haven't been around enough lately for that...but I would never call Bob Dylan and Eddie Vedder pieces of shit lol.  I haven't followed the drama about the comment from the Trump subordinate and I don't really care either way.  My position is that McCain doesn't deserve this hero legacy that both sides of the aisle seem to be promoting.  I will come back later with a list of his war-mongering ways, if people are interested.  But the guy has been probably the most vocal, prominent hawk in Washington for years.  He's at the fore of every foreign coup, and beating the drums in DC at every opportunity.
    Like I said - the song perfectly describes McCain's role in government for the last thirteen millennia, or however long he's held office.    It's not like these masters of war are the faceless 'they'.   Dylan not naming names didn't make it any less obvious who it was about - it only made the song timeless.  IMO, JM is directly responsible, or shares responsibility, for the deaths of thousands.  People here wish death on others for much less on a regular basis. 

mcgruff10 said:
    "Masters Of War"

Come you masters of war
    I just want you to know

But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    You put a gun in my hand

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    That runs down my drain

For the others to fire
    As young people's blood
    And is buried in the mud

That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    Forgive what you do

Is your money that good
    I think you will find
    All the money you made

And I hope that you die
    In the pale afternoon
    Down to your deathbed

noooooo shit.  And it's only americans that qualify for dignity in death.  Never a foreign leader we've deemed a tyrant.  In that case, party leaders can openly use cheesy b-movie lines to describe their death.  See Hillary on Ghadaffi.

PJ_Soul said:

That the POS comment was sarcastic seemed a given, in the context, but I guess things can be taken out of context. 

There is a natural tendency, I believe, to think more positively about people as they are dying or when they die. We see outpourings of affection all the time for public figures who don’t seem to deserve them. 

In my opinion, criricize McCain all you like for his policies and his voting record. There’s plenty there to criticize. It’s still crass to make the comments that the WH aide made about him and that is worth calling out. 

Mcgruff is “the left”? 
    no, I meant in a general sense that any republicans who come out against Trump are all of a sudden a symbol of greatness and morality. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    He's a warmonger, and warmongers deserve what warmongers get.
    Yeah, from what I can tell, assholes never die, lol. Only great, generous people with awesome personalities die.

I agree that it's in very poor taste to say such things that the WH aide said. I can't come close to imaging myself saying something like that about someone in a work environment. I agree it was worth calling out because it's right that everyone hears every single indication of what a crass, unprofessional shit show the WH is on a daily basis.

mcgruff10 said:
    "Masters Of War"

Come you masters of war
    I just want you to know

But build to destroy
    You play with my world
    You put a gun in my hand

Like Judas of old
    You lie and deceive
    A world war can be won
    You want me to believe
    That runs down my drain

For the others to fire
    As young people's blood
    And is buried in the mud

That can ever be hurled
    Fear to bring children
    Into the world
    For threatening my baby
    Unborn and unnamed
    That runs in your veins

How much do I know
    To talk out of turn
    Forgive what you do

Is your money that good
    I think you will find
    All the money you made

And I hope that you die
    In the pale afternoon
    Down to your deathbed

PJ_Soul said:

That the POS comment was sarcastic seemed a given, in the context, but I guess things can be taken out of context. 

There is a natural tendency, I believe, to think more positively about people as they are dying or when they die. We see outpourings of affection all the time for public figures who don’t seem to deserve them. 

In my opinion, criricize McCain all you like for his policies and his voting record. There’s plenty there to criticize. It’s still crass to make the comments that the WH aide made about him and that is worth calling out. 
    it wasn't a given to me. I often can't recall who leans which way and their posting style, except for people I engage with quite regularly. glad to see I misunderstood it. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

edited May 2018
    I would say I lean far enough left to come full circle and touch hands with the right.  Socio-anarchists and libertarians seem to be the only people interested in tearing our shit systems down, so I identify with both sides on a lot of issues....I am critical of the entire centre-right-to-right power structure (which includes D and R, and Libs and Cons in Canada).  I can see how my views would be confusing (or misunderstood) without familiarity because I'm vocally critical of both sides.
    Post edited by Drowned Out on
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    The comment was below the dignity of the White House. There should have been an immediate public apology, by Sarah Huckabee, the president and the staffer. Unfortunately, there’s no dignity left in that White House.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,258
    unsung said:
    ok but he still fought in a war he was called to action and he responded by going not asking for defrements or leaving the country and i don't have a problem with anyone who left the country to not fight in Vietnam , and yes he made mistakes big mistakes with his stand on many issues but the sacrifice he made and payed for by form of captured & torture does deserve credit ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739

Mcgruff is “the left”? 
    Since 1996 I've voted in every election and voted democrat every single time; I have only voted republican once (last year governor race in nj).  ;)

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:

Mcgruff is “the left”? 
    Since 1996 I've voted in every election and voted democrat every single time; I have only voted republican once (last year governor race in nj).  ;)

Perhaps the confusion comes from the fact that you'd be a somewhat hard core conservative in Canadian terms. Our right wing is way more liberal than in America, and our left wing is actually left, not in the middle.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Mcgruff is “the left”? 

Perhaps the confusion comes from the fact that you'd be a somewhat hard core conservative in Canadian terms. Our right wing is way more liberal than in America, and our left wing is actually left, not in the middle.
    The only conversations I add to these on these forums are the one where I am to the right.  Like I said, I voted for Hillary! lol.
    Hard core conservative?  Allie those are fighting words!  I mean I know we have issues because we have argued for 15 years about riot act but to insult me like that....wow.  

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Mcgruff is “the left”? 

The only conversations I add to these on these forums are the one where I am to the right.  Like I said, I voted for Hillary! lol.
    Hard core conservative?  Allie those are fighting words!  I mean I know we have issues because we have argued for 15 years about riot act but to insult me like that....wow.  

I’ll just pile on, then ...
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Mcgruff is “the left”? 

:lol:
    edited May 2018
    So, watching some Max Blumenthal interviews on  youtube, I came across this interview he did for (trigger warning) RT.

Blumenthal outlined the top few reasons (imo - others would have a different list I’m sure), to not allow a heroic legacy for McCain....Afghanistan, Libya, Syria, Ukraine...his ties to Neo-nazis and salafi jihadists and anyone else willing to help the empire get its war on.  
    I dread seeing his ‘contributions’ romanticized any more than we have already seen.  
    https://youtu.be/Em9UCQ07_Fk

• rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    unsung said:
    What warmongers usually get is rich, unfortunately.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    I don't agree with everything John McCain did in his political career and I gladly took the one opportunity to vote against him I ever had. But...the man spent his entire adult life in public service. Now that he's dying I see no reason to be anything less than respectful. I can do that and still disagree.

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • unsungunsung I stopped by on March 7 2024. First time in many years, had to update payment info. Hope all is well. Politicians suck. Bye. Posts: 9,487
    rgambs said:
    unsung said:
    What warmongers usually get is rich, unfortunately.
    They can't take it with them.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/us/politics/john-mccain-brain-cancer.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I prefer to avoid another 30 day ban so this is all I will add.
  • 81 is a respectable age.

None of my grandparents reached it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,593
    edited August 2018
    unsung said:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/24/us/politics/john-mccain-brain-cancer.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

I prefer to avoid another 30 day ban so this is all I will add.
    You post a link about an article about a man entering his final days and you imply that you would say something slighting about him.  Wow- classy, dude.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited August 2018
    ..... I'm not saying I have any desire to do it in this case right now.... but dying doesn't preclude someone from criticism, especially not when it comes to politicians. I know some balk at this, but I don't think those who do it deserve to be insulted for it. At least not if the criticism is valid.
    PJ_Soul said:
    ..... I'm not saying I have any desire to do it in this case right now.... but dying doesn't preclude someone from criticism, especially not when it comes to politicians. I know some balk at this, but I don't think those who do it deserve to be insulted for it. At least not if the criticism is valid.
    Valid criticism, sure - health status doesn’t protect someone from valid and factual criticism. That’s very different from personal attacks and celebration of someone’s illness or death.