Options

The Food Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Hedo, I am sure there are loads of good Pho places in LA.  Pick one that looks more Vietnamese than Angeleno and give it a whirl!

Have you had Ramen?  Different animal (pork based, different noodles) but in some ways similar.  (Cheap, huge portion, broth filled with goodness and whatever meat(s) of your choosing, from our friends in Asia)  So many good places in LA.  On Sawtelle between Olympic and Nebraska (Used to call Little Osaka but now I understand they call it  Sawtelle Japantown) there were 2 that were badass ones that I used to go to.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I know, F Me.  It's shameful I've yet to diligently search it out, but will - pho sure =)
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    It’s been nice knowing you all! Gonna crack this open tonight and give it a shot.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    It’s been nice knowing you all! Gonna crack this open tonight and give it a shot.

You dumb, sick bastard!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Ha!  Good luck and let us know!
    I received about 10 bottles of different hot sauces over the holidays from friends/family.  1 or 2 kinda look pretty scary & make my balls climb up inside of my body - but at some point I will try them. 
    Also got a kit to show me how to make some.  I know some of you have been making for a while....
  • Options
    So, the verdict is:

It's one of the god damn best extreme hot sauces I've ever had!  I'm not shitting you, it's fucking delicious!!

It's hot, really hot, but I don't know that it's as hot as advertised.  I was scared at first, not knowing what to expect, so I just tried a bit on the tip of a toothpick to get a taste, then did thumbnail sized dabs on crackers.  The best way I can describe the heat reception is a logarithmic curve.  You get an intense shot of heat at the beginning (first minute), then it sort of just gradually grows for a while (minutes 2-5) before plateauing (minutes 6-8).  By the 8-10 minute mark, I still had some residual heat but was pretty well back to normal.

Now, again, thats just dime-nickel sized amounts on a cracker.  I could imagine an entire wing covered in it you'd be hurting a good bit by the time you finish as the heat builds on top of each bite.

It smells bad.  Kinda like ghost pepper, of which I can't stand aroma or taste. But oh man, the flavor is just absolutely incredible.  As for the heat, I'll have to try it on wings to get a good comparison to the Flatliners (pepper spray wings), but I'm still gonna say those are still likely to hold the crown as the most intense heat I've ever had.  Those things I did NOT enjoy nor did I want to finish.  This sauce actually makes me want to keep going.

@rgambs I think you'd enjoy it!
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I would, cut it in half with melted butter and slap it on some wings!  Keep some ranch handy though!

You mention the smell of ghost peppers, they do kind of stink.  The Carolina Reapers are way better smelling, all of the chinenses have a nice floral, citrusy smell.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    So, the verdict is:

It's one of the god damn best extreme hot sauces I've ever had!  I'm not shitting you, it's fucking delicious!!

It's hot, really hot, but I don't know that it's as hot as advertised.  I was scared at first, not knowing what to expect, so I just tried a bit on the tip of a toothpick to get a taste, then did thumbnail sized dabs on crackers.  The best way I can describe the heat reception is a logarithmic curve.  You get an intense shot of heat at the beginning (first minute), then it sort of just gradually grows for a while (minutes 2-5) before plateauing (minutes 6-8).  By the 8-10 minute mark, I still had some residual heat but was pretty well back to normal.

Now, again, thats just dime-nickel sized amounts on a cracker.  I could imagine an entire wing covered in it you'd be hurting a good bit by the time you finish as the heat builds on top of each bite.

It smells bad.  Kinda like ghost pepper, of which I can't stand aroma or taste. But oh man, the flavor is just absolutely incredible.  As for the heat, I'll have to try it on wings to get a good comparison to the Flatliners (pepper spray wings), but I'm still gonna say those are still likely to hold the crown as the most intense heat I've ever had.  Those things I did NOT enjoy nor did I want to finish.  This sauce actually makes me want to keep going.

I gotta grab one of these.  I like it.  It's a new pepper from that pucker butt dude or whatever, right?

I have been dying for something bananas hot recently.
  • Options
    So, the verdict is:

I gotta grab one of these.  I like it.  It's a new pepper from that pucker butt dude or whatever, right?

I have been dying for something bananas hot recently.
    Ed Currie, yep.  "Pepper X" as it is currently called, he hasn't officially named it.  It's a multiple cross-breed pepper which he says to be around 3 million scoville.  I thought I read somewhere, though I can't seem to find it, that he bred a Carolina reaper with a Scotch Bonnet then with Habanero.  That might not even be right, so don't take me word on it.
  • Options
    The Carolina Reaper is a cross between Trinidad Scorpion and Red Habanero so I don't know if crossing it back with habaneros again would be productive, but I really don't know.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    The Carolina Reaper is a cross between Trinidad Scorpion and Red Habanero so I don't know if crossing it back with habaneros again would be productive, but I really don't know.
    Yeah, I have no clue either.  Like I said, thought I read that somewhere but my memory eludes me as to where and internet searches have failed me.
  • Options
    Roasted chicken rocks

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    So, the verdict is:

I've read similar reviews about it not being as hot as expected.  I'm a bit of a chilehead myself and have approx 50 hot sauces in my fridge.  The good folks at heathotsauce.com should know me by name at this point...hahaha!    Haven't had that one yet though.  My top three, hottest, all natural (non-extract) current sauces are:
    Exhorresco by Burns and McCoy - Delicious and crazy hot.  The only sauce that gives me instant hiccups.  This one is approx 60% by volume 7 Pot Primo pepper mash.  Hurts like hell but is amazing!
    Painapple by Pex Peppers - Sweet and crazy hot.
    Fear This by Hellfire - This one is a creeper.  Usually reapers hit pretty hard and pretty fast, but this one builds and builds.
  • Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,252
    I have been away from this thread for a while, but has anyone done the Paqui One Chip Challenge?  Youtube it for some funny videos.  I wanted to do the 2016 chip, but was late and they sold out.  Only could find it on eBay for like $40/chip.  F that!  When they went on sale in 2017, I ordered 10 of them.  Had one, gave a couple away and sold a couple...also for $40/chip.   Cha-ching!  :D
    For those unaware, it's a single tortilla chip that comes in it's own coffin box.  Really!  hahaha  It is covered in reaper powder.  The Challenge is to eat it and not eat or drink anything else for the next 5 minutes.  When I did it, I expected it to be hotter than it was.  That said, it was a good 10 minutes of burn!  Oh man!

I have a couple left if anyone on here wants to try one.  Just gotta pay for shipping...and you must post a video of you doing it.  :D   

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,598
    You fuckers had me jonesing. Just tossed a couple leftover wings in Blairs sudden death sauce.
    nothinf crazy but I dig it. Sorta did the job. Should have gone hotter
  • Options
    Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,772
    Roasted chicken rocks

What rocks even more is the cast iron skillet - should be used with pretty much everything.
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Just tried a Cajun spice mix on grilled chicken breast for the first time. I sprinkled it on and left it in the fridge for 4 hours before grilling. So good.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    Yes, Cast Iron Skillet is used a lot.  I have a sweet Dutch oven and a double Baker as well.  Have loads of nice pots and pans but those are the best

• Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited January 2018
    So I'm sick and went to get an apple out of the fridge that I bought the other day. Anybody ever have a Pink Pearl apple? It was a little shocking. I thought I was hallucinating.
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
    And the sun it may be shining . . . but there's an ocean in my eyes
  • Options
    I have not even heard of a Pink Pearl, please tell me about it because that's more interesting than typing it in Google.
  • Options
    oceaninmyeyesoceaninmyeyes Posts: 4,646
    edited January 2018
    It's pink, almost red inside. We had to cut open two before I was sure it was safe to eat. Googled it too. Apparently that is how they are supposed to be. Sweet, tangy crisp and delicious.
    Post edited by oceaninmyeyes on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Wow, that's beautiful!  And sounds tasty.  I too had never heard of them; are they widely available or typically a farmer's market type of thing?
  • Options
    I don't know about availability. But I bought them at a Kroger store. I had purchased an Opal apple variety at Sprouts, which were golden on the outside and really sweet and juicy. So I figured opals, pearls :confused: Both were really good, but I wasn't expecting the red interior of the Pink Pearl. I have never been a red delicious or golden delicious lover. I thought they both tasted bitter and unpleasant, so I love to try new apple varieties.
  • Options
    I don't know about availability. But I bought them at a Kroger store. I had purchased an Opal apple variety at Sprouts, which were golden on the outside and really sweet and juicy. So I figured opals, pearls :confused: Both were really good, but I wasn't expecting the red interior of the Pink Pearl. I have never been a red delicious or golden delicious lover. I thought they both tasted bitter and unpleasant, so I love to try new apple varieties.
    Red Delicious apples are terrible.  They have been bred to look good on shelves, at the turn of the 
    century they were still good eaters, but since the 
    Depression they have become more decoration than food.
    I don't like mushy apples, so Golden Delicious is out too.
    I like Fujis and Fuji sports best, and I don't think they have much competition, and I've tasted and tested extensively, always in season of course.  Kiku is my tops, if you come across Kikus don't pass them up!

If you want good apples out of season, New Zealand grown are the best bet.  Their fall is our spring, so the apples won't be as old.  American grown apples bought in summer have been in cold storage for almost a year, and the taste and texture suffers horribly.  I know people who buy grocery store apples that are over a year old in October here in Ohio when there are local orchards with the best apples you've ever had just hanging on the branch waiting for you to eat them.  It really grinds my gears, they don't even know what a real apple tastes like!  It's like the difference between a grocery store tomato (which were literally bred from tomatoes which survived being tossed into the road, it's all about packaging, which is why they have the texture of 2x4s and flavor to match) in January, and a backyard heirloom in August.  
  • Options
    I'll keep my eye out for Pink Pearls!  Looks awesome, would make a beautiful applesauce!
  • Options
    One of my buddies works at a university studying/experimenting with apples.  He would enjoy a chat about this, Gambsby. 
    He makes killer friggin' hard cider as well. 

I also prefer Fuji.  Fuji apples, cut up in to slices, with a big scoop of real peanut butter to dip them in.  That is some good snacking food right there.
  • Options
    Speaking of cast iron, has anyone heard of this recently new company Stargazer? Their pans look really nice. They currently only have 10.5" but will be expanding their product line soon.  American made, environmentally friendly production & shipping, lifetime warranty, & 6-month trial.

http://www.stargazercastiron.com/

• Options
    Not sure how much better than can make a standard cast iron but will take a look, thanks!
  • Options
    As for apples, Pink Ladies and Gala are my favorite for snacking.  Fuji not far behind.  In a pie, a mixture of Honeycrisp, Braeburn, & Granny Smith.  Winesaps make excellent cider.
  • Options
    Winesaps in pies too!