The Food Thread

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    You had me at bacon wrapped...

:lol:  DK, good point on having to make it. 

A good chili might be a great thing.  Best chili recipes?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415

I don't really have a chili recipe... I just throw in whatever I have/am in the mood for.  Mainly just the usual tomato sauce base, ground turkey, a variety of beans (two or more of dark red, light red, pinto, navy, black-eyed peas), some chopped chilis, tomatoes, & onions and various spices.  One thing I always do, though, is throw in a big gob of peanut butter. Not only does it act as a thickening agent, but it helps sweeten out the heat too.  Cuz I like my chili spicy, but others aren't nearly as adventurous.

Same friend that made the bacon wrapped jalapenos also recently made a pretty freakin awesome chili with ground beef, brisket, spicy sausage, & bacon.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    Recipes? C'mon, man. If I knew the recipe, I'd have to make the dip. 

It would have been nice if my wife got the buffalo chicken blue cheese dip recipe from my buddy's wife. I love buffalo wings, but the dip was a cleaner way to get the flavor and prevented getting sauce all over the remote when switching over to puppy bowl.
    Puppy Bowl!

(you just gave yourself away, you know)

These apps / foods sound amazing, even moreso that you're making them yourselves.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

It would have been nice if my wife got the buffalo chicken blue cheese dip recipe from my buddy's wife. I love buffalo wings, but the dip was a cleaner way to get the flavor and prevented getting sauce all over the remote when switching over to puppy bowl.
    Puppy Bowl!

These apps / foods sound amazing, even moreso that you're making them yourselves.
    I watch it for the injuries.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:
    dankind said:

Puppy Bowl!

I watch it for the injuries.
    This year's holiday gift for DK!
    (although we'll have to correct the spelling of amok)

Thread-related, I had pumpkin soup for the very first time yesterday and loved it.  Unfortunately, a couple hours later it hated my guts.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551

I don't really have a chili recipe... I just throw in whatever I have/am in the mood for.  Mainly just the usual tomato sauce base, ground turkey, a variety of beans (two or more of dark red, light red, pinto, navy, black-eyed peas), some chopped chilis, tomatoes, & onions and various spices.  One thing I always do, though, is throw in a big gob of peanut butter. Not only does it act as a thickening agent, but it helps sweeten out the heat too.  Cuz I like my chili spicy, but others aren't nearly as adventurous.

Same friend that made the bacon wrapped jalapenos also recently made a pretty freakin awesome chili with ground beef, brisket, spicy sausage, & bacon.
    Thanks!
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    If anybody is looking for an easy appetizer that will blow your nips off, I've got one.

Cut hotdogs into 1 inch pieces, wrap in bacon, toothpick inserted and stood up in a pan (pie pan is a good option) crowded close but not touching much, and then generously sprinkle with brown sugar.  Bake them fuckers and enjoy.  Many folks do the same with water chestnuts, but hotdogs are way better, those things are beyond delicious.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    rgambs said:
    If anybody is looking for an easy appetizer that will blow your nips off, I've got one.

Cut hotdogs into 1 inch pieces, wrap in bacon, toothpick inserted and stood up in a pan (pie pan is a good option) crowded close but not touching much, and then generously sprinkle with brown sugar.  Bake them fuckers and enjoy.  Many folks do the same with water chestnuts, but hotdogs are way better, those things are beyond delicious.
    No ketchup!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Sounds awesome w/mustard, I agree!
    No condiments necessary, the flavor is strong with this one!
    Seriously, mustard or ketchup would just get right in the way.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    Gonna have to take a look through this Super Bowl foodstuff.  Going to a party with family and friends who are all Eagles, so I have offered to make a bunch of stuff, but I don't think they want my dirty Giants hands anywhere on their party.  Though I may just do those hot dog and bacon guys.
    The wife's Italian family would likely disown her, but doing a pasta tonight dish I do a bunch.  Pasta with a super easy avocado sauce.  The avocado serves as a nice creamy base.  Throw some garlic in a food processor and run it, toss in an avocado, salt, pepper, and some fresh lemon juice.  Pour in some olive oil as you go until it's the consistency you want and mix with the pasta.  So good.
    The wife's Italian family would likely disown her, but doing a pasta tonight dish I do a bunch.  Pasta with a super easy avocado sauce.  The avocado serves as a nice creamy base.  Throw some garlic in a food processor and run it, toss in an avocado, salt, pepper, and some fresh lemon juice.  Pour in some olive oil as you go until it's the consistency you want and mix with the pasta.  So good.
    Sounds delicious, that's similar to our butternut squash pasta.
    Hot sauce!

What are we looking at here?  

My first attempt at hot sauce making.  (From a kit, not scratch.  That will come soon enough, this kit was a gift to me.)

Chili made yesterday to reheat today.....chicken nuggets chilling in the fridge.  Pigs in a blanket also chilling.  Going to fry up some tortilla chips.  Made a fresh batch of guac.  
    Some ghost pepper cheese slices to go with Ritz.  
    Beer time shortly. 
    Cook up the shit in a few hours.
    My first attempt at hot sauce making.  (From a kit, not scratch.  That will come soon enough, this kit was a gift to me.)

Awesome!  What kind of varieties do you have there?  I see some mustard and that black one, Asian?
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Ate at Hometown BBQ, in Red Hook, Brooklyn today. Hands down best BBQ in NYC. The brisket, ribs, all the sides are amazing. Best mac n cheese around. Super legit and great service as well. 

http://hometownbarbque.com
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
    Red pepper
    Carribean pepper
    Amarilloe lemon pepper
    Mole
    Smoked citrus
    Jalapeno lime
    Will let them rest a few days and try them

Damn, sounds like a nice variety!

Maybe we should think about doing a Ten Club hot sauce exchange thingy jiggy of some type.
    I'm going big next year, my wife ate 2 jars of the Scotch Bonnets mustard, the gallons of Carolina Reaper BBQ sauce we made have become quarts, and I've gone through 3 bottles of Louisiana style.  Next year is going to be somewhere around 10 or more gallons of sauces all together if the pepper crop does well.  
    A kit seems like a good idea, simplify things.  Recipes are hard because you seemingly never have the amount of peppers the recipe calls for.  Scaling the recipes up and down is too mathy for me and I end up just winging it.
    Gallons!  Wowzer.
    Food was excellent yesterday - I am sure everyone here had some good stuff

The pile of empty beer cans was impressive as well
    Yum!  Jealous
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415
    This girl that lives up the street from me made vegan cheese dip for our friend's Super Bowl party yesterday.  She said you boil potatoes and carrots until soft, put in a blender with a little bit of water, olive oil, nutritional yeast, spices and blend on high speed.  She added some Frank's Red Hot for some buffalo flavor.

Honest to god if she had not said a word about it being vegan, I would have never known.  It was as good as any nacho cheese sauce I've ever had.
    edited February 2018
    I hope you're all enjoying some kickass leftovers.
    In addition to the crazy pizza thread lunch, we ordered a few Sammies from Angelo's.
    Called the PFD (Philly Food Dude)
    Fresh chicken cutlet
    Fress Mozz
    Prosciutto
    Flash fried artichokes
    Arugala pesto balsamic glaze
    On a Sarcone's seeded

Holy wow.  Cut a few of them into small pieces and every single person loved it.

• Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    Spent $500 last night at a Michelin starred restaurant. Was amazing. 
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Spent $500 last night at a Michelin starred restaurant. Was amazing. 
    We did a really nice Michelin started starred restaurant in Florence last year. It was an awesome experience and delicious but I gotta say, the main thing I remember about it is how much I paid. There are a good 3 or so other dinners from that trip that I remember in more detail. 
    edited February 2018
    The wife’s due date is Valentine’s Day, though that’s likely not happening , but regardless we’re celebrating tonight with our annual tradition

Cheese to start. A Brie and blue, pasteurized this year so nothing amazing

Lobsters with a baked potato and some green beans.

a nice California Chardonnay, with myself obviously drinking the bulk of it, though I’m sure the bride will sneak a small glass 

Fuck yeah.
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,818
    The wife’s due date is Valentine’s Day, though that’s likely not happening , but regardless we’re celebrating tonight with our annual tradition

Cheese to start. A Brie and blue, pasteurized this year so nothing amazing

Lobsters with a baked potato and some green beans.

a nice California Chardonnay, with myself obviously drinking the bulk of it, though I’m sure the bride will sneak a small glass 

Fuck yeah.
    All the best to you two, tonight and in what’s to come. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf