The Food Thread

Comments

• Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,576
    edited January 2018
    Feel like I have been eating leftovers for a month so tonight it's a nice salad.

arugula
    shallots
    pine nuts
    cherry tomatoes 
    peas
    Shrimp in a quick olive oil, salt, pepper, chili powder, paprika, cayenne, pepper flakes, garlic and lemon marinade
    A nice salt, pepper, olive oil and lemon dressing
    Some nice home made croutons 

Oh and of course a nice little Bordeaux 
    Post edited by Cliffy6745 on
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    Sounds great minus the pine nuts.  When I have those it messes with my taste buds for a bit.. everything tastes like metal.  I avoid pine nuts like the plague.
    Shrimp in salad is gold, Jerry.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
    Oh man. Love me some toasted pine nuts 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Did pork sammies and Cole slaw tonight.
    Pork was just Tyson loins in the crock, nothing special, but it's just a canvas for that Reaper's Blood BBQ sauce I made 2 gallons of back in the fall.
    Cole slaw was KFC style, first time I've used my new food processor.  First time I've ever used a real one.  Dang-O was it easy!  A tasty slaw in 10 minutes!! I used to chop for a half hour for slaw.
    No more.

Also, can't rep that egg cooker hard enough, if you eat boiled eggs, you gotta have one!  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,551
    I have a really fancy food processor that I rarely get out and use.  But when I do I usually wish I has counter space for it.
    But.  There is something about blaring the music and chopping and slicing that I find cathartic
    Yesterday's largest and smallest eggs.
    79 grams and 8 grams, which smashes Ethel's previous low of 25 grams.
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,415

Tried this one one last night. It ranks at 1.1 million. Scoville. It’s quite vinegary in flavor but still packs the heat. It kinda creeps up on you for a while before the full effect hits. It’s made with habanero, naga jolokia (ghost pepper), red scorpions, & cayenne. Yes, it came with a skull keychain and comes in a box shaped like a coffin.

Tried this one one last night. It ranks at 1.1 million. Scoville. It’s quite vinegary in flavor but still packs the heat. It kinda creeps up on you for a while before the full effect hits. It’s made with habanero, naga jolokia (ghost pepper), red scorpions, & cayenne. Yes, it came with a skull keychain and comes in a box shaped like a coffin.
    haha. "with Jersey fury".  I dig Blair's.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

haha. "with Jersey fury".  I dig Blair's.
    I might still have that one. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,456
    edited January 2018

rgambs said:
    That's pretty cool. Do freakishly small eggs taste any different?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    Size matters!
    PJ_Soul said:

rgambs said:
    They don't have a yolk, they are called wind, fart, or fairy eggs depending on what brand of yokel inhabitants dominate your region lol
    It happens when a bit of reproductive tissue get sloughed into the oviduct and confuses it into surrounding it with albumen.  
    They are typically pretty rare, but Ethel has a fucked up reproductive system and she lays them as often as not.  
    The taste is no different, but they are often cracked because they have very thin shells.
    This one was frozen solid and cracked so I will feed it back to them with the others that froze, it's been very cold and I can't check the coop every hour.
    Some folks call them cock eggs, people used to think the roosters laid them.
    Wow, you really managed to make that cute tiny egg sound absolutely disgusting. :lol::lol:
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    Wow, you really managed to make that cute tiny egg sound absolutely disgusting. :lol::lol:
    :chicken:

If you think about it too hard in the wrong way, anything to do with eating dairy, eggs, and meat is disgusting.

I'm not really susceptible to being grossed out by the origins and quirks of food.
    I don't care if a hotdog looks like a milkshake when they are making it, and I don't care if it is filled with tendons and ligaments and organs and scraps.
    Tastes good.
    Even with ketchup on it.
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

If you think about it too hard in the wrong way, anything to do with eating dairy, eggs, and meat is disgusting.

I'm not really susceptible to being grossed out by the origins and quirks of food.
    I don't care if a hotdog looks like a milkshake when they are making it, and I don't care if it is filled with tendons and ligaments and organs and scraps.
    Tastes good.
    I am generally the same, but I actually have a specific gross out going on with eggs. I like eggs, but the stories about fetal beaks and shit, and then the snot-like texture and that hunk of umbilical cord... I deal with it, but there is something about it that gets to me too.
    But generally I'm really chill about that stuff. Like you, I figure if it tastes good and has a good texture and isn't literally going to kill me or make me sick, it really doesn't matter much to me at all. I know there might be assholes in my hotdog.... assholes are still meat. :lol:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Tastes good.
    I am generally the same, but I actually have a specific gross out going on with eggs. I like eggs, but the stories about fetal beaks and shit, and then the snot-like texture and that hunk of umbilical cord... I deal with it, but there is something about it that gets to me too.
    But generally I'm really chill about that stuff. Like you, I figure if it tastes good and has a good texture and isn't literally going to kill me or make me sick, it really doesn't matter much to me at all. I know there might be assholes in my hotdog.... assholes are still meat. :lol:
    Hahaha das sum gud meat dare!

Eggs are kind of gross, slimy as fuck and clear?  What kind of food is clear and then turns white when cooked?  Weird.

I don't know about fetal eggs, I've never heard a legit story and although it is technically possible, it would have to be done on purpose.  A fertilized egg doesn't begin developing without specific heat and humidity conditions that have to stay steady almost constantly, and no eggs bought commercially are fertilized anyways.  That makes it pretty much impossible for a grocery store egg to contain any developed tissue, and incredibly unlikely even for a farm egg.

Pretty gross thought though, crack an egg and find a beak?  Yikes.

I'm firing up my egg cooker tonight and doing a dozen for eating throughout the week, about halfway between medium and hard cooked.  I might devil them up, but if I do I know I will eat them all in 2 days.
    edited January 2018
    If it makes you feel any better, the "umbilical cord" you see is called the chaleza.
    Eggs have several layers and the inner most albumen (chalaziferous) is thick to protect the yolk.  As the egg travels down the oviduct it rotates, and that membrane twists into a rope of sorts, which anchors the chalaziferous layer and protects the yolk by keeping it in the center of the egg.  When you break an egg into a bowl, the chalazae snap away from the shell membrane and rebound against the yolk.  Those little white blobs or strings are often mistaken for tissue developing, but they are just egg white twisted tight.
    A chick develops from a small dot on the yolk, the blastodisc.  
    Post edited by rgambs on
    rgambs said:
    If it makes you feel any better, the "umbilical cord" you see is called the chaleza.
    Eggs have several layers and the inner most albumen (chalaziferous) is thick to protect the yolk.  As the egg travels down the oviduct it rotates, and that membrane twists into a rope of sorts, which anchors the chalaziferous layer and protects the yolk by keeping it in the center of the egg.  When you break an egg into a bowl, the chalazae snap away from the shell membrane and rebound against the yolk.  Those little white blobs or strings are often mistaken for tissue developing, but they are just egg white twisted tight.
    A chick develops from a small dot on the yolk, the blastodisc.  
    That is good to know. It doesn't make that snot rope any less gross, but it's good to be informed!
    edited January 2018
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Tastes good.
    Hahaha das sum gud meat dare!

Eggs are kind of gross, slimy as fuck and clear?  What kind of food is clear and then turns white when cooked?  Weird.

I don't know about fetal eggs, I've never heard a legit story and although it is technically possible, it would have to be done on purpose.  A fertilized egg doesn't begin developing without specific heat and humidity conditions that have to stay steady almost constantly, and no eggs bought commercially are fertilized anyways.  That makes it pretty much impossible for a grocery store egg to contain any developed tissue, and incredibly unlikely even for a farm egg.

Pretty gross thought though, crack an egg and find a beak?  Yikes.

I'm firing up my egg cooker tonight and doing a dozen for eating throughout the week, about halfway between medium and hard cooked.  I might devil them up, but if I do I know I will eat them all in 2 days.
    I have no idea what weird freak of nature is going on, or what went wrong at the chicken farm, but just-forming fetuses in eggs actually is a real thing. I would also doubt it and think it was impossible, except it happened to someone I know and they for sure weren't lying about it. They got it from the grocery store. It wasn't a fully formed beak or anything, but it was definitely the beginnings of one, along with some other shit. :sick:
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    This conversation reminds me of when I ate Balut.
    eddiec said:
    Oh, GROSS. Someone would have to pay me a lot to eat that!
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    eddiec said:
    Willingly?!
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,828
    hedonist said:
    eddiec said:
    Willingly?!
    I hired a food guide in Hanoi to take me around on a street food tour. Balut was on the menu. I knew it was going to be. As gross as it looks I had to try it.
    Doesn't it have a horrid smell?
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    That's your upper lip.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    That's your upper lip.

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I think downing Balut was on a Fear Factor episode back when Joe Rogan hosted it.

Man, they ate (or attempted to eat) some nasty shit.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    hey foodies ... looking to do a food crawl somewhere ... probably stateside ... i'm in toronto and my friend is in vancouver ... here's our criteria:

*  bikeable city ... plan to rent bikes to travel around
    *  good authentic food ... looking for divy hole in the wall / street food kind of places
    *  nice public places ... can't eat every minute of the day so to be able to chill in a park or a market would be cool

any suggestions?  take NYC off the list ... thanks