Options

Photos of your guitars

12324252628

Comments

  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,711
    edited April 2023
    pjpjpaul said:


    Just put a J Mascis MIJ Jazzmaster on layaway :) 

    Very cool!  But start saving up now- the amp set up to go with it will set you back a bit, lol:
    J Mascis  Dinosaur jr J mascis Guitar gadgets

    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.













  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Bruce's tele looks more naturally reliced that Ed's to me. 
    If I remember correctly from that same Fretboard Journal issue that talked about him having a high output p90 under the guard stated that Ed's tele is a real deal 50's and not some custom shop relic job.

    And if memory serves me correct, bruce retired "The Tele" and had fender and his own guitar tech make him replicas of the guitar.

    So if that is all correct Ed's actually has a more natural relic...what a world
    That s some solid info.  Thank you 
    I am a certified guitar nerd, especially when it comes to the Boss, Eddie, and Neil young's gear.
    Love it!  What pedal do I need to get for that Eddie sound?  
    This may have changed, but I remember reading forever ago Ed doesn't use pedals? Maybe they still do, but 10c used to have a page with info on the gear used. I remember even basic diagrams of how it was all hooked up.
    Anyway, I remember they said Ed didn't use pedals. He sets up the gain on the amp to be on the edge of distortion. When he wants a clean sound he strums lightly, when he wants a heavy sound he strums harder. And that's how he changes between the clean and dirty sounds.
    That was probably 20 years ago when I read that, so who knows if that's still the case. 
    i think you are right. back then he played that schecter tele with hiwatt amp. with 2 guitars already he did not need to do much. was basically the 3rd guitar with a cleanish, edge of breakup kind of tone to be in the middle of mike and stone. 

    i am not sure how he is doing it now, but his tele, that sg, and some different les pauls all with p 90s, and a few strats i think, into his old fender amps. i do not remember him using any pedals. he doesn't really need to with a keyboard and 2 guitars already. 

    i think his best clean tone i have ever heard was when he was soundchecking immortality on the immagine in cornice doc with that pete townshend les paul. stunningly amazing tone right there. 
    I haven't seen that video since it came out.
    Is the PT Les Paul that one with a third pickup in the middle? Did he have that back then?
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,157
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    static111 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Bruce's tele looks more naturally reliced that Ed's to me. 
    If I remember correctly from that same Fretboard Journal issue that talked about him having a high output p90 under the guard stated that Ed's tele is a real deal 50's and not some custom shop relic job.

    And if memory serves me correct, bruce retired "The Tele" and had fender and his own guitar tech make him replicas of the guitar.

    So if that is all correct Ed's actually has a more natural relic...what a world
    That s some solid info.  Thank you 
    I am a certified guitar nerd, especially when it comes to the Boss, Eddie, and Neil young's gear.
    Love it!  What pedal do I need to get for that Eddie sound?  
    This may have changed, but I remember reading forever ago Ed doesn't use pedals? Maybe they still do, but 10c used to have a page with info on the gear used. I remember even basic diagrams of how it was all hooked up.
    Anyway, I remember they said Ed didn't use pedals. He sets up the gain on the amp to be on the edge of distortion. When he wants a clean sound he strums lightly, when he wants a heavy sound he strums harder. And that's how he changes between the clean and dirty sounds.
    That was probably 20 years ago when I read that, so who knows if that's still the case. 
    i think you are right. back then he played that schecter tele with hiwatt amp. with 2 guitars already he did not need to do much. was basically the 3rd guitar with a cleanish, edge of breakup kind of tone to be in the middle of mike and stone. 

    i am not sure how he is doing it now, but his tele, that sg, and some different les pauls all with p 90s, and a few strats i think, into his old fender amps. i do not remember him using any pedals. he doesn't really need to with a keyboard and 2 guitars already. 

    i think his best clean tone i have ever heard was when he was soundchecking immortality on the immagine in cornice doc with that pete townshend les paul. stunningly amazing tone right there. 
    I haven't seen that video since it came out.
    Is the PT Les Paul that one with a third pickup in the middle? Did he have that back then?
    yeah that is one of the PTs he had. i think he had a cherry sunburst, but this one is the red one, #5.

    in the video it looks like he has the pickup selector in the middle position but i have no idea how that thing is wired up. sounds like he has a phaser kind of effect or something on it later in the video.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItKXzTLNqWs
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

    "Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    Sounds like he changes pickups a few times and definitely a chorus kicking on right at the end there.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    Just bought this guy. 1996 MIA 50th anniversary tele.

    Been trying to pick up and learn again after about 20 years. Sold my other MIJ fender to put towards a move and spent $100 on a squire. It’s been about a year, but spent that time trading up. Find a good deal on an upgrade and buy it, then sell my old one for a little more than I paid. I’m probably only the original $100 into this after doing that for a year and buying/selling about a half dozen guitars.


  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    mace1229 said:
    Just bought this guy. 1996 MIA 50th anniversary tele.

    Been trying to pick up and learn again after about 20 years. Sold my other MIJ fender to put towards a move and spent $100 on a squire. It’s been about a year, but spent that time trading up. Find a good deal on an upgrade and buy it, then sell my old one for a little more than I paid. I’m probably only the original $100 into this after doing that for a year and buying/selling about a half dozen guitars.


    That's awesome! Excellent way to move up the line. Are you playing much?
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,974
    Brought this one home on Monday. It's a Japanese ESP Vintage Plus from 1996. Got it cleaned up and adjusted to my liking last night. 

    So far, so good! This has a super nice neck and is a pleasure to play. 


    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,484

  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    dudeman said:
    Brought this one home on Monday. It's a Japanese ESP Vintage Plus from 1996. Got it cleaned up and adjusted to my liking last night. 

    So far, so good! This has a super nice neck and is a pleasure to play. 


    Wow. Love it 
  • Options
    matt3846matt3846 Atlanta Posts: 153
    dudeman said:
    Brought this one home on Monday. It's a Japanese ESP Vintage Plus from 1996. Got it cleaned up and adjusted to my liking last night. 

    So far, so good! This has a super nice neck and is a pleasure to play. 



    Nice! I’ve been wanting an 80’s ESP 400 Series strat.
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    Latest additions. Technically both cheats since neither is a guitar. :) 



    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

    EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    Wow those are nice!  Who knew canadian houses got that cold!  22 degrees is below freezing!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wow those are nice!  Who knew canadian houses got that cold!  22 degrees is below freezing!
    We set the temperature so icicles form, so it reminds us of our igloos, where we feel most at home before we mooseback ride into the office, where we work with John. 71.6 in fahrenheit, says Google!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

    EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wow those are nice!  Who knew canadian houses got that cold!  22 degrees is below freezing!
    We set the temperature so icicles form, so it reminds us of our igloos, where we feel most at home before we mooseback ride into the office, where we work with John. 71.6 in fahrenheit, says Google!
    I know, I kid I kid.  It's just so weird seeing that number in a thermostat!  How does the resonator play different from a guitar?  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,484
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wow those are nice!  Who knew canadian houses got that cold!  22 degrees is below freezing!
    We set the temperature so icicles form, so it reminds us of our igloos, where we feel most at home before we mooseback ride into the office, where we work with John. 71.6 in fahrenheit, says Google!
    You don't ice skate to work? 

    huh 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wow those are nice!  Who knew canadian houses got that cold!  22 degrees is below freezing!
    We set the temperature so icicles form, so it reminds us of our igloos, where we feel most at home before we mooseback ride into the office, where we work with John. 71.6 in fahrenheit, says Google!
    I know, I kid I kid.  It's just so weird seeing that number in a thermostat!  How does the resonator play different from a guitar?  
    So, it's actually a slightly different from a pure resonator - it's called a Dobro. It's played horizontally (on your lap or with a strap), and the strings hover above the fretboard (never touching them), so it's played with a steel or ceramic tone bar instead on your left hand, and thumb/finger picks on your right hand.

    If you've heard "The Boxer" by Paul Simon, it's that beautiful twangy slide-sounding guitar that takes a solo. The guy who plays that is named Jerry Douglas, and he's one of the best examples on the instrument.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

    EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    benjs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Wow those are nice!  Who knew canadian houses got that cold!  22 degrees is below freezing!
    We set the temperature so icicles form, so it reminds us of our igloos, where we feel most at home before we mooseback ride into the office, where we work with John. 71.6 in fahrenheit, says Google!
    I know, I kid I kid.  It's just so weird seeing that number in a thermostat!  How does the resonator play different from a guitar?  
    So, it's actually a slightly different from a pure resonator - it's called a Dobro. It's played horizontally (on your lap or with a strap), and the strings hover above the fretboard (never touching them), so it's played with a steel or ceramic tone bar instead on your left hand, and thumb/finger picks on your right hand.

    If you've heard "The Boxer" by Paul Simon, it's that beautiful twangy slide-sounding guitar that takes a solo. The guy who plays that is named Jerry Douglas, and he's one of the best examples on the instrument.
    Oh very cool!  I have obviously never played one but would love to give it a try.   I'm starting to get the urge for a new guitar.  Maybe another les paul or tele....or maybe it's time for my first strat.  Perhaps another acoustic, Martin D-18 or an epiphone j45.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    dudeman said:
    mace1229 said:
    Just bought this guy. 1996 MIA 50th anniversary tele.

    Been trying to pick up and learn again after about 20 years. Sold my other MIJ fender to put towards a move and spent $100 on a squire. It’s been about a year, but spent that time trading up. Find a good deal on an upgrade and buy it, then sell my old one for a little more than I paid. I’m probably only the original $100 into this after doing that for a year and buying/selling about a half dozen guitars.


    That's awesome! Excellent way to move up the line. Are you playing much?
    Been trying to more. But it goes in spurts when I have time.
  • Options

    That EBMM is gorgeous. Is that the “raspberry” finish??

    after dipping into the guitar world, I kept getting pulled more to the low end. So I grabbed a sterling stingray and I love it. Will have to grab a pic later. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options

    That EBMM is gorgeous. Is that the “raspberry” finish??

    after dipping into the guitar world, I kept getting pulled more to the low end. So I grabbed a sterling stingray and I love it. Will have to grab a pic later. 
    YES - Raspberry Burst… aka my midlife crisis, I got it in June, and am head over heels in love w/ it. 
  • Options


    ‘Dark Scarlet Burst’ with a roasted maple neck had me at first sight. Sounds nice and aggressive ha. 

    (Shameless funko reorganizing and frame shuffling) 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,484
    edited November 2023


    ‘Dark Scarlet Burst’ with a roasted maple neck had me at first sight. Sounds nice and aggressive ha. 

    (Shameless funko reorganizing and frame shuffling) 
    That is friggin' gorgeous. 

    I didn't necessarily want the raspberry burst, but I absolutely wanted the mahogany correction:  ebony / maple neck and black hardware so it was really the best option available. I originally got the smoked chrome, but that thing sparkled like a disco ball... I much prefer the wood grain look to the raspberry. 
    Post edited by Merkin Baller on
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412

    This thing is just thunderous. 


    Traded an OM-28 with a similar finish for this HD-28. Was shopping for my once in a lifetime acoustic when I bought the OM. Amazingly nice guitar but not the right one for me. 




  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412


    Here’s the OM for comparison/guitar porn sake
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    DewieCox said:


    Here’s the OM for comparison/guitar porn sake
    Both beauties - I hope you found 'the one'!
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

    EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,538
    I got an HD-28 with that finish last year. Love it.  I played an OM-42 at a guitar store about 20 years ago and just loved it.  Played one a few times since and haven't felt that same magic. 
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    My baby. Custom shop J45 with red spruce top, scalloped bracing, Trance Audio pickup (sounds wonderful). I’ve had her for around eight years now. Turns out seven years before I knew I would love bluegrass, I picked a dreadnaught practically made for the genre. 


    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

    EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,876
    Both of those acoustics are beautiful!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,412
    benjs said:
    My baby. Custom shop J45 with red spruce top, scalloped bracing, Trance Audio pickup (sounds wonderful). I’ve had her for around eight years now. Turns out seven years before I knew I would love bluegrass, I picked a dreadnaught practically made for the genre. 


    Sweet, J45s are the most consistently great sounding acoustics out of all the guitars I’ve ever played. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    benjs said:
    My baby. Custom shop J45 with red spruce top, scalloped bracing, Trance Audio pickup (sounds wonderful). I’ve had her for around eight years now. Turns out seven years before I knew I would love bluegrass, I picked a dreadnaught practically made for the genre. 


    Is that the Pure Voice model?  I had one of those and it was incredible.  I sold it to get a different guitar that I no longer have.  I should have never let it go.  Beautiful guitar!  J45s are my favorite acoustics.
    Scio me nihil scire

    There are no kings inside the gates of eden
Sign In or Register to comment.