Photos of your guitars

1252627282931»

Comments

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,029
    dbanthony said:
    A couple photos of my main guitar, a 2017 Electrical Guitar Company Scott Kelly signature model and my Science 100w Hellhawk with 2x12" cab. 

This guitar weighs around 13/14 pounds but it absolutely sounds massive, too. Ever since getting an aluminum neck guitar, it's been hard for me to go back to my other ones. 

that thing is pretty sweet. i've never heard of them. that aluminum fretboard looks killer. is there an advantage to that over wood?

man a 13 pound guitar is a non starter for me at my age. i'm a decent sized guy but after a couple of hours playing my 11 pound les paul custom i'm about done, haha.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • @gimmesometruth27 To give a little backstory, EGC started making recreations of Travis Beans in the 2000s then kind of spun off into their own designs. Cool list of people who have played them if you check their site!

As for the pros of an aluminum neck, the most immediate is that there's no truss rod so you never need to get it setup ever again. In terms of other pros, I think it's super resonant with amazing natural sustain. A big part of what I like is when sliding into or out of a note, or hitting hammer-ons and pull-offs, you can just go for days because it's so resonant. I will also say, I think people expect the necks to feels slower but I've not had that experience. I also find it stays in tune better than wood, but that's anecdotal. 

The one interesting thing is living in Chicago, in the winter when I pull it out to play the neck is cold to the touch. After a few minutes it warms up and feels so good to play. But I know some folks don't love that sensation. 
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    edited September 2
    Is it okay that I put Elixir's on a Martin guitar (i.e., it isn't frowned upon stylistically)?  It is a 0000-28H.   I put Martin strings on it, and it sounds dead after a couple days.  I put Elixir's on it, and it just sings for months.  It has turned the guitar into one I was a little disappointed with into one I play the most of any guitar I have.  I used to always keep it in its case when not in use and probably should, but I like that I don't baby it and let it age however it does.  
  • dudemandudeman Posts: 3,044
    Is it okay that I put Elixir's on a Martin guitar (i.e., it isn't frowned upon stylistically)?  It is a 0000-28H.   I put Martin strings on it, and it sounds dead after a couple days.  I put Elixir's on it, and it just sings for months.  It has turned the guitar into one I was a little disappointed with into one I play the most of any guitar I have.  I used to always keep it in its case when not in use and probably should, but I like that I don't baby it and let it age however it does.  
    Elixirs are just about the only strings I use. Acoustic, electric and bass guitar.

I like the feel, the tone and they last like nothing else I've ever used, even other brands of coated strings.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • dbanthony said:
    @gimmesometruth27 To give a little backstory, EGC started making recreations of Travis Beans in the 2000s then kind of spun off into their own designs. Cool list of people who have played them if you check their site!

As for the pros of an aluminum neck, the most immediate is that there's no truss rod so you never need to get it setup ever again. In terms of other pros, I think it's super resonant with amazing natural sustain. A big part of what I like is when sliding into or out of a note, or hitting hammer-ons and pull-offs, you can just go for days because it's so resonant. I will also say, I think people expect the necks to feels slower but I've not had that experience. I also find it stays in tune better than wood, but that's anecdotal. 

The one interesting thing is living in Chicago, in the winter when I pull it out to play the neck is cold to the touch. After a few minutes it warms up and feels so good to play. But I know some folks don't love that sensation. 
    that all sounds really interesting. i would like to check one out.

heads to reverb.... lol...

• pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,671
    Elixirs are cool but also checkout the d’addario coated acoustic strings. Taylor’s now ship with them instead of elixirs and they sound and play great and last a long time. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    I used to use Elixir, but switched to d’addario XS. I think they’re the best for my custom D28. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,831
    Thanks for the string advice!
  • benjsbenjs Posts: 9,097
    Thanks for the string advice!
    Absolutely! You should get more depth and less treble, and longer-lasting good sound. Not sure how much you play, but I'm at roughly 2-3 hours a day so I change them every 4-6 weeks or so (which is about 1-3 weeks longer than I should).
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • bigbadwalksbigbadwalks Posts: 18
    edited September 19
    Here’s a few of mine.

1. Fender Deluxe Lone Star Strat
    2. Squier Tom DeLonge Strat that I’ve modified to my liking. I’ve put a nicer Fender neck on it, changed the Duncan designed humbucker for a JB, and added a custom pick guard that was cut for me by Jack’s Instrument Services in Manchester.
    3. Fender Chris Shiflett Tele deluxe.
    4. Fender Player Tele.

I definitely have more enthusiasm than talent but I put these things to pretty good use in my little band (https://open.spotify.com/artist/6b7WOm6WTanCjck9OrYJqD?si=CYvZj1fAQ-mS0O-10QyHwA).

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,383
    Beautiful collection!!! 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Thanks! I’m lucky to be able to have at least a couple more than I really need, but every time I try to thin the herd a new one appears before too long!
  • Thanks! I’m lucky to be able to have at least a couple more than I really need, but every time I try to thin the herd a new one appears before too long!
    i don't sell anything because as soon as a do, a few days later someone calls wanting to start a project that that particular item would have been perfect for.

• I wish I had the space to take that approach. Mind you, I don’t really miss anything that I’ve sold other than my Rockerverb.