Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    Now I will go eat pizza. will snap a pic
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    edited January 2019
    Margherita isn’t plain pizza.  And the picture you posted isn’t margherita.  It is a plain pie with a basil leaf lol. 
    Thoughts arrive, nice work!!
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    All these delicious looking pies make me hungry. I’m going the Italian route today, but no pizza. Homemade stuffed shells. Playoff football...sauce simmering all day...good way to spend a Saturday. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Plain cheese doesn't crack the top 10?
    Is Vesuvio just cheese with peppers?
    I'd be good with that.
    Margaritha is plain cheese(?). That is number 5. Never heard of it?

"Margherita (after Margherita) contains tomato sauce, cheese (usually mozzarella) and basil. The three colors are alleged to represent Italy's flag. "

Vesuvio is a margarita with ham on it.

"Vesuvio (after Vesuvius) contains tomato sauce, cheese and ham."

The US really needs to start having names for their pizza.s Haha. :)
    Marg is not a plain cheese pizza.  It is fucking delicious, but not a plain pizza.  :)

Vesuvio looks great!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    My first attempt at making Johnny Di Francesco's (400 Gradi) margherita. Was quite happy with it for a first attempt. Didn't cut my dough balls big enough or not enough yeast so I couldn't get a large sized base. Still yummy for mini bases. I used fresh mozzarella instead of buffalo mozzarella and tinned whole peeled Italian tomatoes by Annalisa. Also, I used instant dried yeast instead of fresh yeast.

Recipe and video here: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/pizza-margherita

Those look really good!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Left over pizza.  Must resist.  Must resist. 

• Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    a couple from last night:

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    One looks really good....one looks the opposite.  (People in Sweden would eat it if you gave it a goofy name)
  • Options
    What difference is it as a "plain pizza" and margahria. You cant order something more plain than a margarita here. Its the cheapest option.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Plain pizza is dough, sauce, and shredded cheese.
  • Options
    Lol. Thank you for clarifying. 
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    bbiggs said:
    Do you guys have margherita pie in the Midwest or is it a pizza belt thing?
    Margherita pie also uses slices of mozzarella as opposed to shredded mozzarella.  Sauce is completely different too.  Plus there is no basil on plain pie. 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
  • Options
    Yeah I think that is the same basic pie accross the US.  (Of course to varying degrees of tastiness)
  • Options
    And who needs fancy names?  
    “Hi pick up.  I d like one large pie with pepperoni, one large with peppers and onions, one large with half meatballs and a large plain. Plus an order of fried ravioli and a dozen wings.   Name is mike.”
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Margherita pie also uses slices of mozzarella as opposed to shredded mozzarella.  Sauce is completely different too.  Plus there is no basil on plain pie. 
    Oh yeah. We have it. To be honest I never order it though. I have my go-to lineup and I rarely stray from the path. Mozzarella slices are awesome though. Huge caprese salad fan. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    And who needs fancy names?  
    “Hi pick up.  I d like one large pie with pepperoni, one large with peppers and onions, one large with half meatballs and a large plain. Plus an order of fried ravioli and a dozen wings.   Name is mike.”
    Lol. I like your style! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Oh yeah. We have it. To be honest I never order it though. I have my go-to lineup and I rarely stray from the path. Mozzarella slices are awesome though. Huge caprese salad fan. 
    How d the shells turn out?
  • Options
    One large plain, one large Sicilian. 
    Oh, ansa One cheese, wit.

(The last one is a large cheese steak with onions.  House cheese.)

About as easy as it gets.
    Might add a dozen wings, hot as ya got.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Delicious man. I’m so full. I let the sausage cook in the sauce all day so it’s tender as hell. Ricotta, Romano, Parmesan and spinach filling. Little mozzarella on top. 

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    bbiggs said:
    Delicious man. I’m so full. I let the sausage cook in the sauce all day so it’s tender as hell. Ricotta, Romano, Parmesan and spinach filling. Little mozzarella on top. 

Daaaaaamn.  I am jealous!!! Looks great.  I m loving that the shells are not over cooked.   Who’s Italian in the family?
  • Options
    Letting shit cook in the sauce is money.  Bet that was tasty!
  • Options
    Thanks man. I don’t cook too many things but this has become one of my specialties. Got the recipe years ago from my good friends Italian wife. I love her cooking and she was willing to share her secrets lol. All credit goes to her
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    mcgruff10 said:
    Margherita isn’t plain pizza.  And the picture you posted isn’t margherita.  It is a plain pie with a basil leaf lol. 
    Thoughts arrive, nice work!!
    Thanks man!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    My first attempt at making Johnny Di Francesco's (400 Gradi) margherita. Was quite happy with it for a first attempt. Didn't cut my dough balls big enough or not enough yeast so I couldn't get a large sized base. Still yummy for mini bases. I used fresh mozzarella instead of buffalo mozzarella and tinned whole peeled Italian tomatoes by Annalisa. Also, I used instant dried yeast instead of fresh yeast.

Recipe and video here: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/pizza-margherita

Those look really good!
    Thank you!
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    So I made more today, one for me and two for my nieces who loved it. My niece said it is the same as the pizza from 400 gradi.
    Turned out better today, better size. It's all trial and error.

• Options
    Okey. The same thing.
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Okey. The same thing.
    If you think that is the same as a margherita you are not so bright.
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    Letting shit cook in the sauce is money.  Bet that was tasty!
    Apologies for getting off the pizza topic again, but if you haven’t done so already, throw a neck bone in your sauce next time and let it simmer all day. It adds great flavor. 
  • Options
    Okey. The same thing.
    Definitely not the same thing.  When I am off of detox I ll order a plain and margherita and post pictures so you can see the difference. 
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    edited January 2019
    I have been to places where a plain pie has no cheese other than a bit of Romano or Parmesan, just sauce.