Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    mca47mca47 Posts: 13,257
    Do you people use fresh yeast or dry yeast?

I typically use Active Dry Yeast.  For most of mine, I make a starter that I let prove for 12-24 hours.  I then add that to the rest of the dough....gives it a bit of a boost despite being at cold temps.  Let it hang out in the fridge for about 48 hours and you're good to go.
    Just be sure to take it out of the fridge a good 2-3 hours before you want to stretch the dough to allow it to come to room temp.  
  • Options
    Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited January 2019
    Thanks!
    Will make the dough following this recipe (sans fresh yeast as it is hard to source) from the world champion pizza maker....

https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/pizza-margherita

Video in link...
    Post edited by Thoughts_Arrive on
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Pizza night. Got some great organic pepperoni from Vermont at Whole Foods today. 
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Pies came out great. Did the first with just the pepp and mozz. For the 2nd I had less pepp so i chopped it up with spinach, castelvetrano olives, mozz and ricotta. 
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Those look great - especially since I am in the midst of a fast.  Enjoy them!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Those look great - especially since I am in the midst of a fast.  Enjoy them!
    I feel ya. My resolution for the new year is to only eat sustainable meat once a week. So a greasy pepperoni pie was my choice for this week. They were enjoyed indeed.
  • Options
    Thanks!
    Will make the dough following this recipe (sans fresh yeast as it is hard to source) from the world champion pizza maker....

Video in link...
    Post your pizzas!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Thanks!

Video in link...
    Post your pizzas!
    I will.
    I've just put the dough balls in the fridge to proove overnight. 
    I got more dough than I wanted, made 9 dough balls.
    I may have put too much yeast or it just expanded a lot in over 2 hours because it is so hot here.
    I screwed up making the dough balls, I didn't fold it the correct way as per the video.

Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
  • Options
    I want to go to Johnny's masterclass. $120 ain't bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmjYboT8xPU
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,903
    edited January 2019
    Pizza night. Got some great organic pepperoni from Vermont at Whole Foods today. 
    They look great!  Nice work.
    I'm in complete detox mode so I won't be eating pizza for awhile.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    That pepperoni looks fantastic! They all look great for that matter. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mcgruff10 said:
    “For a while?”  Over/under is set at 7.5 days. Any takers? ;) 
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    “For a while?”  Over/under is set at 7.5 days. Any takers? ;) 
    I ll take the under lol. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,492
    strong work, chinaski!

why’s everyone fasting/detoxing? :confounded::lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    Wobbie said:
    strong work, chinaski!

Lol, I'm not.  I'm ready to fuck shit up from the get-go!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Classic Scruffy going with the New Year's resolution.

Quit kidding yourself. Go get a slice and enjoy. You live once.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,643
    Wobbie said:
    strong work, chinaski!

Do it every quarter anyway but did it early this quarter based on the fact  that I drank and ate like a fucking madman over the holiday.  My body needs a week off and then to go back to the way I usually live.  (Holiday was fun, though!)
  • Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    I miss my NYC pizza. Use to eat Ray's Pizza on 6 ave & 11th st, 2-3 times a week, when I drove for UPS.
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    My dough balls did not expand in size as much as I would've liked. Not sure why.
    I've taken them out of the fridge to get back to room temperature and then it's stretching and cooking time.
  • Options
    ** The most sold Pizzas in Sweden in 2018 **

1. Kebab pizza 19.68%

2. Vesuvio 15.93%

3. Hawaii 11.27%

4. Capricciosa 9.80%

5. Margherita 7.83%

6. Calzone 7.30% 
    7. Chicken pizza 3.55%
    8. Funghi 2.29% 
    9. Bussola 1.89% 
    10. Gyrospizza 1.66% 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Plain cheese doesn't crack the top 10?
    Is Vesuvio just cheese with peppers?
    I'd be good with that.
  • Options
    Is there actual pizza under the kebab?
    wifey ordered two large plain for the kiddies tonight.  The drive home was brutal. I actually had to leave the room while they were eating it.  Damn diet however I did not break!!!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    My first attempt at making Johnny Di Francesco's (400 Gradi) margherita. Was quite happy with it for a first attempt. Didn't cut my dough balls big enough or not enough yeast so I couldn't get a large sized base. Still yummy for mini bases. I used fresh mozzarella instead of buffalo mozzarella and tinned whole peeled Italian tomatoes by Annalisa. Also, I used instant dried yeast instead of fresh yeast.

Recipe and video here: https://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/pizza-margherita

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Those look great! I would have gone a tad bit longer in the oven, though. How they taste?
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Those look great! I would have gone a tad bit longer in the oven, though. How they taste?
    Thank you!
    They were fantastic. Crispy yet soft and fluffy inside. Toppings were fresh and yum. Simple yet amazing. 
    I cooked them for 10 minutes at 225c (fan forced) with the stone preheated for about 40 minutes.
    The batch previous to this I cooked for 8 minutes. I was just concerned that the toppings may overcook/burn so I kept it to 10 as per recipes online that use a stone and a conventional oven. 10 minutes was the winner for me, the bottom was cooked better. I might try maybe 11 next time. But will keep it to 10 tomorrow as my nieces are coming over to have some. I am currently resting my dough before prooving. 
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    More dough balls proving for tomorrow for my nieces and maybe for me....

• Options
    Those pizzas look like nice snack sized eats.  Could probably fold each one and eat like a new yawker!  ;)
    Looks good.
  • Options
    Plain cheese doesn't crack the top 10?
    Is Vesuvio just cheese with peppers?
    I'd be good with that.
    Margaritha is plain cheese(?). That is number 5. Never heard of it?

"Margherita (after Margherita) contains tomato sauce, cheese (usually mozzarella) and basil. The three colors are alleged to represent Italy's flag. "

Vesuvio is a margarita with ham on it.

"Vesuvio (after Vesuvius) contains tomato sauce, cheese and ham."

The US really needs to start having names for their pizza.s Haha. :)
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Is there actual pizza under the kebab?

"Kebab pizza (after Kebab) contains tomato sauce, cheese, onions, fresh tomatoes, pepperoni and kebab meat, and a sauce that is poured on after baking. The alternatives vary widely, but the most common are garlic sauce, tomato sauce, and mild and strong sauce."