Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,930
    Pizza Hut was where we went for free personal pizzas when we met our “Book It” requirements in elementary school. Basically, read a certain number of books and get a free pan pizza. Good stuff back in the late 80’s. Now...no me gusta. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,832
    I haven't had pizza hut since 2007.  I know this because I was in Great Falls, Montana, for whatever I reason I decided i was in the mood for pizza hut. lol  They actually make a decent pie for what I remember.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Hi! said:
    I think that pizza looks pretty good. Looks like a pan super supreme from Pizza Hut, which is actually one of my favorites if Im getting a cheap chain pizza.

What does a pizza, or the piza buffét, cost at Pizza Hut?

Here in Sweden Pizza Hut is V-E-R-Y expensive. And I never met anyone that really goes there.
    I wonder, in Sweden, if they still actually bake the pizza in iron pans instead of putting them thru a high speed conveyor?  When I was a kid and Pizza Hut was a dine-in only restaurant, the quality of their pizza was excellent.  Since they began delivery in the 80s and have since joined Papa John's & Domino's in the fast-pie method, their quality and prices have gone down. They are still usually a couple dollars more than the other two, but they're starting to become more coupon-y in order to keep up.
    They used to be great and the cost was justified, now - like almost everything else in the US - they've turned to shit.
    I agree about the sit down part -- when in High School, we loved it.  Remember them bringing the pans out to the table with their 'tongs' and how we would dig in.
    Yep, and the waiter/waitress would cut and serve the first round to the whole table.
    Pizza Hut was just what your team did after playing a Little League game. The coaches would have a pitcher of beer; the kids would have pitchers of Pepsi. Everyone would talk about the key plays of the game, etc. Does this still happen in any way, shape or form?
    Did you play for coach Buttermaker?
    May as well have been.  Certainly wasn't Coach "Breadmaker." :lol:
    Ha!

Coach Jagman. He worked at Wellcraft, making Miami Vice boats. It was a standing thing after games. We couldn't make it every time because my family wasn't flush like that. But he brought his kids, and teammates and their families had an open invitation.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    Hi! said:
    I think that pizza looks pretty good. Looks like a pan super supreme from Pizza Hut, which is actually one of my favorites if Im getting a cheap chain pizza.

What does a pizza, or the piza buffét, cost at Pizza Hut?

Here in Sweden Pizza Hut is V-E-R-Y expensive. And I never met anyone that really goes there.
    I wonder, in Sweden, if they still actually bake the pizza in iron pans instead of putting them thru a high speed conveyor?  When I was a kid and Pizza Hut was a dine-in only restaurant, the quality of their pizza was excellent.  Since they began delivery in the 80s and have since joined Papa John's & Domino's in the fast-pie method, their quality and prices have gone down. They are still usually a couple dollars more than the other two, but they're starting to become more coupon-y in order to keep up.
    They used to be great and the cost was justified, now - like almost everything else in the US - they've turned to shit.
    I agree about the sit down part -- when in High School, we loved it.  Remember them bringing the pans out to the table with their 'tongs' and how we would dig in.
    Yep, and the waiter/waitress would cut and serve the first round to the whole table.
    Pizza Hut was just what your team did after playing a Little League game. The coaches would have a pitcher of beer; the kids would have pitchers of Pepsi. Everyone would talk about the key plays of the game, etc. Does this still happen in any way, shape or form?
    Did you play for coach Buttermaker?
    May as well have been.  Certainly wasn't Coach "Breadmaker." :lol:
    My last year in little league the coach that I rode with would have a beer open in the car on the return trip.  Was just part of the culture I guess, at that place and point in time.

(Was...11-12 years old? I remember him playing what was Ozzy's new tape in the car and we thought that was cool....Shot In The Dark from T.U.S. release!)  I am sure my father would not have cared but that my mother would have had a fit if she would have known. 

1986!

Could easily have seen that dude throwing us into a Pizza Hut and ordering a pitcher.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    Anyone  remember the Bigfoot?

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Hi! said:

out of focus 40 year old picture or it didn't exist. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    Pizza Hut made a Chicago Style Deep Dish before I thought was decent. It had the sauce on top. It didnt last very long. Early 2000's I think.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,513
    edited November 2018
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Hi! said:

Pizza Hut is trash.
    it's my dad's go-to. I'm convinced it is based solely on the super-slippery greasiness of the crust. so gross. 
    Yeah, the "deep dish" crust is like a sponge that is both dry and soaked in oil at the same time. It seems impossible, but they manage it, lol.
    Pizza Hut is vastly superior to any of the other big pizza fast foody chains.
    Not in Canada. Here it's one of the worst, and I can't think of anyone who actually goes for pizza hut because they like it. And it's made the same on both sides of the border, so I know why in the fuck American pizza chains are so awful. This is news to me, lol.
    I am occasionally sucked into trying it because this really cheap-minded secretary at the office tends to order it when the director decides to buy a pizza lunch for everyone. The secretary thinks that $5/$5/$5 deal is actually worth trash pizza that nobody likes, no matter how many times people tell her it's not. :lol:
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Hi! said:

out of focus 40 year old picture or it didn't exist. 
    Lol

• Options
    Hi! said:
    Pizza Hut made a Chicago Style Deep Dish before I thought was decent. It had the sauce on top. It didnt last very long. Early 2000's I think.
    yeah, I remember that. the sauce on top looked really weird and unappetizing to me. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited November 2018
    I remember 80s Godfather's Pizza was a lot better than 80s Pizza Hut. Admittedly, that was back when I thought 3 lbs of cheese on a pizza was a good thing. :lol:

Anyway, I don't think there is any such thing as a good national (international) pizza chain. The all suck. I don't even know how they are all still in business. However, I think there are plenty of truly great regional pizza chains out there (lots of shitty ones too, but still).

With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Hi! said:
    yeah, I remember that. the sauce on top looked really weird and unappetizing to me. 
    The sauce was chunky if I remember. Big chunks of like stewed tomato.
    Kind of like what they used to use on their stuffed crust. I think the sauce on stuffed crust is actually different now from when they first made it now that I think about it.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    My favorite was when Pizza Hut sponsored the NCAA Tournament and had the mini basketballs for $4.99 or whatever. They did that a couple years in the 80s or early 90s. I had an adjustable rim in the back yard and those things were great as a kid for dunking on an 8ft rim!
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    My favorite was when Pizza Hut sponsored the NCAA Tournament and had the mini basketballs for $4.99 or whatever. They did that a couple years in the 80s or early 90s. I had an adjustable rim in the back yard and those things were great as a kid for dunking on an 8ft rim!
    Yeah, that was really big promotion. I remember that. Those little basketballs were fun. Did you ever have one of those mini basketball hoops that you hang on the back of a door? Man, my brothers, friends and I would have some epic dunk contests and games on these things. Lucky we didnt crash through the bedroom floor onto the kitchen table below.
    Post edited by Hi! on

• Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    I wouldn't call Pizza Hut good pizza, but I really enjoy eating it.  Clearly it's a substantial part of the childhood of anyone who grew up between '85 and '95 in the States, and I still like that greasy, fluffy pan crust.  When it's just right it's super fluffy and with a nice crisp crunch on the bottom.
    When it is done shitty...well it still beats the fuck out of Domino's and edges out Papa John's too, for most Midwesterners at least.
    It's cheap as dirt too, cheaper than a flozen take and bake.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Hi! said:
    Yeah, that was really big promotion. I remember that. Those little basketballs were fun. Did you ever have one of those mini basketball hoops that you hang on the back of a door? Man, my brothers, friends and I would have some epic dunk contests and games on these things. Lucky we didnt crash through the bedroom floor onto the kitchen table below.
    Definitely had an over the door hoop and either nerf or plush basketballs. Didn't have a Jordan hoop though, wasn't a fan.  Even though he's the greatest ever.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I wouldn't call Pizza Hut good pizza, but I really enjoy eating it.  Clearly it's a substantial part of the childhood of anyone who grew up between '85 and '95 in the States, and I still like that greasy, fluffy pan crust.  When it's just right it's super fluffy and with a nice crisp crunch on the bottom.
    When it is done shitty...well it still beats the fuck out of Domino's and edges out Papa John's too, for most Midwesterners at least.
    Well yeah, anything is better than Domino's, lol.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    rgambs said:
    Well yeah, anything is better than Domino's, lol.
    Eating dominos while you are drunk is magical. Lol
  • Options
    Must depend on where you are.  Around here, Papa John's & Domino's are decent and Pizza Hut just sucks.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I think I shared here but the only time I had Domino's was after a wedding, where the groom pre-ordered a stack of pizzas to the hotel we were all staying at, to deliver at 12:30 or some late time like that.
    It was glorious, we destroyed that shit.  Drinking all day = love for Dominos.  Some swear they raised their game but that was the only time in the last 15 years I have eaten it.
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Must depend on where you are.  Around here, Papa John's & Domino's are decent and Pizza Hut just sucks.
    Domino's is hot garbage here (way worse than Pizza Hut), but I think Papa John's is just fine. Not great, but there is nothing wrong with it either - the toppings always seem very fresh, the crust is average at worst, the sauce is fine. My biggest problem with it is that Papa John is a douchebag fuckface, lol.
    I will give Pizza Hut one thing btw.... Those pre-fab dessert items and yummy. like a pan of Hershey's chocolate brownies that is literally half solid chocolate chucks, and then all warm and melty from being on top of the pizza box? That's just good shit. :lol:
  • Options
    You guys suck. I just ordered two plain and a order of mozzarella sticks.  Ugh
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    You guys suck. I just ordered two plain and a order of mozzarella sticks.  Ugh
    I am jealous that you're already home from work. I've still got 3 hours. :disappointed:
  • Options
    domino's is awful here in the Peg. 

even for us fat drunks. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Domino's is hot garbage here (way worse than Pizza Hut), but I think Papa John's is just fine. Not great, but there is nothing wrong with it either - the toppings always seem very fresh, the crust is average at worst, the sauce is fine. My biggest problem with it is that Papa John is a douchebag fuckface, lol.
    I will give Pizza Hut one thing btw.... Those pre-fab dessert items and yummy. like a pan of Hershey's chocolate brownies that is literally half solid chocolate chucks, and then all warm and melty from being on top of the pizza box? That's just good shit. :lol:
    you sound you like you belong in the High On Marijuana thread. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Soul... on the UBC campus in the late 80s and early 90s, there used to be a small Dominos. I remember a few walks to it while hungover.

I'd order the personal whatever it was and nothing ever tasted so good. It was the only dominos I'd ever seen to that point. I've had it since and the Pizza these days does not match the memories I have of that place.

Sasamat Pizza was out household favourite. They mailed us a Xmas card lol!
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I had a Dominos pizza Tuesday night as I was traveling and it was the only food option at 10pm.  Lets just say I will NEVER order that again.  I think my insides are still recovering.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Soul... on the UBC campus in the late 80s and early 90s, there used to be a small Dominos. I remember a few walks to it while hungover.

I'd order the personal whatever it was and nothing ever tasted so good. It was the only dominos I'd ever seen to that point. I've had it since and the Pizza these days does not match the memories I have of that place.

Sasamat Pizza was out household favourite. They mailed us a Xmas card lol!
    There is still a Dominos right close to the campus, and they actually accept the UBC meal plan cards as payment, lol.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

And

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Jalapeno/Ham?