The Pizza Thread

1138139140142144

Comments

  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of foreverPosts: 19,986
    bbiggs said:
    I don’t know half of what F Me does, being that he lived there. I haven’t had a ton of luck with pizza in SoCal unfortunately. If you ever take a day trip to the desert though, do yourself a favor and stop at Castellis in Palm Desert. Some of the best Italian food I’ve had anywhere in the US. 
    I think I went there with my dad when he was alive and living there!  He always found the best food places, whether dives or high-end or somewhere in-between.

    You'd think West Hollywood would have some good pizza; it's mostly pretty much hit or miss, save for a couple of reliables.

    F Me, did you ever visit Mulberry Street Pizzeria here?  It was straight-up NY style but has since woefully gone downhill.  Was (still is?) owned by this beauty (who now looks like a cross between Debbie Harry and Jessica Lange - not a bad thing!).

  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 15,049
    Went out for my friends birthday tonight. Didn’t take a pic but got a wood-fired margherita. I was intrigued by their new dill pickle pizza but it had ranch on it. Guess I could have ordered it without but I haven’t had a classic margh in a while. Easy choice.
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 3,712
    hedonist said:
    bbiggs said:
    I don’t know half of what F Me does, being that he lived there. I haven’t had a ton of luck with pizza in SoCal unfortunately. If you ever take a day trip to the desert though, do yourself a favor and stop at Castellis in Palm Desert. Some of the best Italian food I’ve had anywhere in the US. 
    I think I went there with my dad when he was alive and living there!  He always found the best food places, whether dives or high-end or somewhere in-between.

    You'd think West Hollywood would have some good pizza; it's mostly pretty much hit or miss, save for a couple of reliables.

    F Me, did you ever visit Mulberry Street Pizzeria here?  It was straight-up NY style but has since woefully gone downhill.  Was (still is?) owned by this beauty (who now looks like a cross between Debbie Harry and Jessica Lange - not a bad thing!).

    Just watched Raging Bull last week. Great film! 

    And I'm guessing you’ve probably eaten at Castellis, given what you said above.  It doesn’t look like much from the outside, but it’s a gem. Best fettuccine Alfredo ever...I mean ever. 
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 12,239

    I made a pizza yesterday!  
    I could have tried harder to make it round, but I don't care so much about that.  
    The crust was pretty good and the sauce turned out just excellent!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 17,251
    hedonist said:
    bbiggs said:
    I don’t know half of what F Me does, being that he lived there. I haven’t had a ton of luck with pizza in SoCal unfortunately. If you ever take a day trip to the desert though, do yourself a favor and stop at Castellis in Palm Desert. Some of the best Italian food I’ve had anywhere in the US. 
    I think I went there with my dad when he was alive and living there!  He always found the best food places, whether dives or high-end or somewhere in-between.

    You'd think West Hollywood would have some good pizza; it's mostly pretty much hit or miss, save for a couple of reliables.

    F Me, did you ever visit Mulberry Street Pizzeria here?  It was straight-up NY style but has since woefully gone downhill.  Was (still is?) owned by this beauty (who now looks like a cross between Debbie Harry and Jessica Lange - not a bad thing!).

    Yeah, for sure.  It was good....Mrs FMe & I both thought Mulberry was good.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 17,251
    rgambs said:

    I made a pizza yesterday!  
    I could have tried harder to make it round, but I don't care so much about that.  
    The crust was pretty good and the sauce turned out just excellent!
    Good work!
    Is the bottom one a straight tomato pie?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 12,239
    rgambs said:

    I made a pizza yesterday!  
    I could have tried harder to make it round, but I don't care so much about that.  
    The crust was pretty good and the sauce turned out just excellent!
    Good work!
    Is the bottom one a straight tomato pie?
    No, just before the cheese and pepperoni went on so I could document how yellow it was lol
    The sauce I made from my prized Sungold super sweet cherry tomatoes.  

    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 12,239

    You can see they are quite yellow.
    I like a sweet pizza sauce so it came out very sweet without even a pinch of added sugar.
    Very bright and fresh tasting.

    I can't figure out how to get rid of that bright fresh tomato taste lol

    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 17,251
    Sounds good!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 3,712
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

    I made a pizza yesterday!  
    I could have tried harder to make it round, but I don't care so much about that.  
    The crust was pretty good and the sauce turned out just excellent!
    Good work!
    Is the bottom one a straight tomato pie?
    No, just before the cheese and pepperoni went on so I could document how yellow it was lol
    The sauce I made from my prized Sungold super sweet cherry tomatoes.  

    Holy crap that sounds and looks like delicious sauce. I thought it was a vodka sauce at first. Nice work! 
  • RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 5,025
    Angelo's Pizzeria on S. 9th.
    Get the Upside Down Jawn.

    You are welcome.  ;)
    Wow, just looked at some yelp pics and yeah, I’m going to have to go there ASAP. 
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PAPosts: 31,434
    :lol:



    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,032
    rgambs said:

    You can see they are quite yellow.
    I like a sweet pizza sauce so it came out very sweet without even a pinch of added sugar.
    Very bright and fresh tasting.

    I can't figure out how to get rid of that bright fresh tomato taste lol

    Those fresh tomatoes would work great as a topping with some fresh basil.
  • rgambsrgambs Posts: 12,239
    eddiec said:
    rgambs said:

    You can see they are quite yellow.
    I like a sweet pizza sauce so it came out very sweet without even a pinch of added sugar.
    Very bright and fresh tasting.

    I can't figure out how to get rid of that bright fresh tomato taste lol

    Those fresh tomatoes would work great as a topping with some fresh basil.
    Eh, this time of year I'm about fresh tomatoed out lol
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 17,251
    A Sicilian and a gluten free cheese spinach and shrimp for my wife.

    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NYPosts: 1,484
    hedonist said:
    bbiggs said:
    I don’t know half of what F Me does, being that he lived there. I haven’t had a ton of luck with pizza in SoCal unfortunately. If you ever take a day trip to the desert though, do yourself a favor and stop at Castellis in Palm Desert. Some of the best Italian food I’ve had anywhere in the US. 
    I think I went there with my dad when he was alive and living there!  He always found the best food places, whether dives or high-end or somewhere in-between.

    You'd think West Hollywood would have some good pizza; it's mostly pretty much hit or miss, save for a couple of reliables.

    F Me, did you ever visit Mulberry Street Pizzeria here?  It was straight-up NY style but has since woefully gone downhill.  Was (still is?) owned by this beauty (who now looks like a cross between Debbie Harry and Jessica Lange - not a bad thing!).

    Yeah, for sure.  It was good....Mrs FMe & I both thought Mulberry was good.
    Good to know. Been thinking about checking out Mulberry.
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Gluten free ??? Gourmet? Great to know there are alternatives around the globe or at least in north America...here's my altered frozen home made go to...
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 20,113
    Some solid pizza after a long day of teaching and coaching  soccer.   
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 17,251
    That looks fucking great
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 3,712
    Not sure if the pizza thread is the best place for this, but here it goes. So I’m at a pizza place near the house for the first time ever tonight. Only opened a few years ago and I’ve heard good things, so decide to give it a try. It’s a rock n roll themed place with 30+ craft beers on tap. The pizzas have names like “nirvana, petty, sound garden, Green Day, rage, etc.”. Those are literally the names of the brick oven pizzas. Awesome! As if this wasn’t enough, I get seated at the table and directly on the wall to the right of me is this GEM!!! Wow!! 


  • Jason PJason P Posts: 18,141
    I'm living in a pizza wasteland right now ... I swear a frozen Jacks pizza is better then most anything within an hour drive
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commetsPosts: 17,251
    bbiggs said:
    Not sure if the pizza thread is the best place for this, but here it goes. So I’m at a pizza place near the house for the first time ever tonight. Only opened a few years ago and I’ve heard good things, so decide to give it a try. It’s a rock n roll themed place with 30+ craft beers on tap. The pizzas have names like “nirvana, petty, sound garden, Green Day, rage, etc.”. Those are literally the names of the brick oven pizzas. Awesome! As if this wasn’t enough, I get seated at the table and directly on the wall to the right of me is this GEM!!! Wow!! 


    That is pretty sweet!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 3,712
    ^ The best (worst?) part about it is that the poster is literally my only ISO right now. I want it to pair up with night 1. I asked the owner if he’d sell it to me, but he quickly shot it down with “no thanks there’s only 100 of them.”  The poster nerd in me should have corrected him that there are 100 APs (his is) but many more SE. I just let it slide. Lol 
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 21,720
    I can’t eat pizza without this !
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 20,113
    https://www.nj.com/food/2019/10/nj-is-home-to-6-of-the-countrys-101-best-pizza-places-youre-welcome-america.html
    F Me In The Brain

    The debate about which pizza in New Jersey is the best may rage on forever. But at least nationally, it’s never been more clear that the Garden State is the place to go for 'za.

    The Daily Meal’s list of 101 best pizzas in America was recently released, and six New Jersey pizzerias made the cut — including a relative newcomer checking in all the way at No. 3.

    Bread and Salt in the Jersey City Heights, which opened just this year, was the first New Jersey pizza spot to appear on the list at No. 55, with its Roman square style slices from James Beard semifinalist Rick Easton making it one of the hottest spots in one of the state’s hottest food towns.

    On the other end of the age spectrum is Papa’s Tomato Pies in Robbinsville, which opened in 1912 making it the second-oldest pizzeria in the country, and is No. 52 on the list. Known for its classic Trenton tomato pies that are thin and feature sauce atop the cheese, they also serve a pizza featuring a layer of mustard between the cheese and crust.

    Santillo’s, an Elizabeth institution run nearly single-handedly by Al Santillo, came in at No. 47. His menu reads like a pizza history textbook, with different specialty pies named for the year in which they were popular. Can’t decide? You can’t go wrong with their classic Sicilian, and don’t be afraid to ask for sesame seeds on the crust.

    DeLorenzo’s Tomato Pies, also in Robbinsville, is No. 37, the 70-year-old institution and rival of Papa’s opened its current location in 2017. It slings the same style tomato pies, and even has a clam pie like Frank Pepe’s, though it has red sauce unlike the Connecticut joint’s white pie.

    Star Tavern and its vaunted thin crust bar pies in Orange made the list at No. 32, a staple for any self-respecting New Jersey pizza fan.

    But it’s Razza, the Jersey City restaurant whose Neapolitan pies were crowned the best pizza in New York by The New York Times (and the best restaurant in Jersey City by NJ.com) that was named the third best pizza in the country:

    Razza opened just across the Hudson River from New York in Jersey City, New Jersey, in late 2012, and it quietly became locally renowned for its wood-fired pizzas prepared by chef-owner Dan Richer, who was a semifinalist for the James Beard Rising Star Award. Not only has Richer perfected his crust — it’s crisp from end to end and its inside is soft with a complex flavor — but he’s also meticulous about his toppings, which he sources locally. The mozzarella on his Bufala pie, for example, comes from water buffalo in New Jersey’s Sussex County. He had to wait years for the herd to grow large enough to ensure a steady supply of the notoriously difficult-to-perfect cheese. And as for the sauce, Richer told The New York Times that he waits for the latest vintages of tomatoes from California, New Jersey and Italy to be canned each January before blind-tasting and grading them all, then blending them like fine wine. When assembled, the pizza is as close to perfection as possible.

    Frank Pepe in Connecticut and Lucali in Brooklyn were first and second, respectively. But with six locations on the list (in the top 55, no less) the Garden State was behind just New York, Illinois and California. We’ll save our thoughts on Chicago deep dish for another day, we’ve got a table at Razza with our name on it.


    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 20,113
    edited October 4
    here's the whole list:
    https://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best-pizzas-america-2019
    why didn't anyone tell me about bonci in chicago?! #79
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 3,712
    mcgruff10 said:
    here's the whole list:
    https://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best-pizzas-america-2019
    why didn't anyone tell me about bonci in chicago?! #79
    Looks good but to be honest this is the first I’m hearing of it. Anyone else try it? 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 20,113
    bbiggs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    here's the whole list:
    https://www.thedailymeal.com/101-best-pizzas-america-2019
    why didn't anyone tell me about bonci in chicago?! #79
    Looks good but to be honest this is the first I’m hearing of it. Anyone else try it? 
    It s a pretty cool list but there is a ton of these out there.  Gonna try to hit up the number one spot in March. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer MarylandPosts: 15,049
    Frank Pepe's is on the pizza bucket list but I doubt I will ever have a reason other than pizza to go to CT.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New JerseyPosts: 20,113
    Frank Pepe's is on the pizza bucket list but I doubt I will ever have a reason other than pizza to go to CT.
    Any pizzzerias on the list in your neck of the woods?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
Sign In or Register to comment.