Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    Friday night pizza run for the kids;  two plain and a Brooklyn Sicilian. Yeah same ole same ole for us. Lol

that second one looks like a crime scene. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Just ordered pizza in North Carolina.  Please keep me In your prayers.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Friday night pizza run for the kids;  two plain and a Brooklyn Sicilian. Yeah same ole same ole for us. Lol

That second pizza was killer.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

That second pizza was killer.  
    pun intended, i'm sure. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    My kids are such pizza snobs they hated it.  I thought it was pretty decent. 
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The top one looks good.  Perhaps a bit more time in the oven, but I don't think either look bad.
    Too much sauce?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    (I think that is an error that many places make.  If the sauce is good, you don't need too much of it.)
  • Options
    It just tastes different bud.  Cheese is more salty and they put way too much on. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Too much cheese is a pizza killer. No bueno 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Does anybody make their own sauce?
    I have a bunch of tomato sauce from the garden freshly cooked down that I'd like to make pizza sauce with.
    Tried and approved recipe from the internet would be fine.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    Yes.  Peel your tomatoes.  Start with some oil in your sauce pan, saute thinly sliced garlic (a lot).  Add crushed red pepper.
    Crush tomatoes with your hands or a masher.
    Salt it.  Be generous with the salt, the tomatoes benefit from it.   Add pepper.  Taste.  Don't be shy.
    Option for a cup of red wine next, but I don't.  I like it to be sweeter.  (Using whole San marzanos gives it that taste, but you will have fresh.  If the tomatoes are less sweet you could even add a little sugar.)
    Put a handful of basil in there and simmer until you like the consistency.
    This sauce is really easy, really good ...for pasta or even for pizza.  A good marinara works both ways.

My Italian grandma taught me a way that takes all day but who has all day?
    This is almost as good and takes no time.  Freezes pretty well 

• Options
    edited August 2019
    I should have clarified, I'd rather have the all-day type.  Probably going to do a gallon and can it up for the winter so it's already a project.
    I eat fresh-style tomatoes every day, I like a thick, zesty, sweet and robust pizza/spaghetti sauce.  Like you would buy in a jar or a zesty house sauce at a fancy restaurant.

My tomatoes are already strained and cooked down to a sauce, it just needs cooked down a little more with some flava in it. 
    I suppose I should just find one by someone reputable on the web and then tweak it.

• Options
    Cool, I don't recall what grandma's recipe was, although it is written down somewhere.
    So many interesting online recipes, I'm sure you will find some you like.  Have fun!
    (And, I am sure you will end up with something you like more than a jar sauce.)
  • Options
    Cool, I don't recall what grandma's recipe was, although it is written down somewhere.
    So many interesting online recipes, I'm sure you will find some you like.  Have fun!
    (And, I am sure you will end up with something you like more than a jar sauce.)
    For sure, although we have a company in Navarre, Ohio called Mid's that make a fine jar of spaghetti and pizza sauce.
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    I just moved to Philly and I know finding good pizza here isn’t as easy as NYC but I heard that this place about a half a mile from my apartment was one of the best in the city so I decided to try it the other day. The place is called Pizza Shakamaxon, I got one slice of pepperoni and one of the weekly special, which was soppressata, honey, and pickled jalapeños. Easily 2 of the best slices I’ve ever had, I will be visiting this place frequently. 
  • Options
    ^ Spicy soppressata is one of my faves, but I haven’t had it with jalapeño. Sounds interesting! I had a delicious Napoletana pizza tonight with arugula, provolone, Parmesan, cherry tomatoes and garlic. No pics but it was amazing! 
  • Options
    edited September 2019
    Angelo's Pizzeria on S. 9th.
    Get the Upside Down Jawn.

You are welcome.  ;)
  • Options

You are welcome.  ;)
    So they deliver to IL? Lol. 
  • Options
    Other side of town but excellent pies.  Was pissed when they moved over there from Haddonfield.
  • Options
    bbiggs said:

You are welcome.  ;)
    So they deliver to IL? Lol. 
    Yeah, should have quoted his post.   Sorry, in Philly!
  • Options
    I badly want to get some good east coast pie. It’s not like I’m pizza deprived in Chicago, but I’d like to switch it up. If PJ plays in NYC or Philly next year I’m 100% going and I’m gonna hit you guys up for some top notch pizza recommendations. Let’s hope! 
  • Options
    Dooooo it
  • Options
    H.ChinaskiH.Chinaski Brooklyn, NY Posts: 1,596
    Since moving to LA last month my pizza consumption has almost completely stopped... need to remedy that soon. 
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    Since moving to LA last month my pizza consumption has almost completely stopped... need to remedy that soon. 
    I’ve had quite a bit of southern CA pizza when visiting family and friends.  I wish you luck, my friend! 
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    I’ve had quite a bit of southern CA pizza when visiting family and friends.  I wish you luck, my friend! 
     Thanks man! Any spots you'd suggest? I also need to get some flour and yeast and get back to making it...
    Pine Knob, MI Lollapalooza 1992 / Soldier Field, Chicago 1995 / Savage Hall, Toledo 1996 / Palace, Detroit 1998 / Palace, Detroit 2000 / Pine Knob, MI 2003 / Showbox, Seattle 2004 / MSG, NYC 2008 / Key Arena I & II, Seattle 2009 / Eddie Vedder Beacon, NYC 2011 / Eddie Vedder Benaroya, Hall Seattle 2011 / Barclays, Brooklyn I &II 2013 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia II 2013 / Wuhlheide, Berlin, Germany 2014 / Wells Fargo, Philadelphia 1 2016 / Madison Square Garden, NYC 2 2016 / Wrigley 2, Chicago 2016/ Fenway 1, Boston 2018/
  • Options
    PizZeria Mozza is the fucking bomb 
  • Options
    Where is LA are you?
    A shitton of great food there.  Pizza is not high on the list but so there are tons of great places 
  • Options
    Where is LA are you?

We're in Silverlake. Seems to be alot of really popular good foodie spots around we just haven't managed to get out much to try them... 
  • Options
    Ahhh.  Yes, there should be lots around you.  That place has changed a lot since I left.
    Used to go to a place called Spaceland there a lot to watch bands.
  • Options
    I don’t know half of what F Me does, being that he lived there. I haven’t had a ton of luck with pizza in SoCal unfortunately. If you ever take a day trip to the desert though, do yourself a favor and stop at Castellis in Palm Desert. Some of the best Italian food I’ve had anywhere in the US.