Options

The Pizza Thread

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    I never eat breakfast. Might take a banana at work.
    In the spirit (no pun intended) of intermittent fasting... this might be the model to follow.

Humans have grown accustomed to consuming too many calories. Eating a couple balanced and sensible meals between noon and 7pm is a healthy way to go. 

On the weekends, I don't follow this model- all hell breaks loose by design!
    That is my deal as well.
    8 hour window to eat within, so if I eat breakfast I miss out on dinner.  I choose dinner.
    Also go w/longer fasts (5 days) once a quarter. 
    Pizza is always tempting.
    We ordered this weekend from the place that showed fastest delivery time....what an error.  The 4 year old flat out said he did not like it...and when I tried I had to admit it was not very good.  It will be better as 'freezer pizza' to be consumed one slice at a time and hot from the toaster oven.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419
    We certainly do eat too many calories in a day.  I know I've been guilty of consuming an entire large pizza in one go!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,049
    edited February 2019
    We certainly do eat too many calories in a day.  I know I've been guilty of consuming an entire large pizza in one go!
    Ones upon a time I always shared a pizza with someone. 

Nowadays I can eat one myself before I even realize I have started eating. Scary.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I never eat breakfast. Might take a banana at work.
    In the spirit (no pun intended) of intermittent fasting... this might be the model to follow.

Humans have grown accustomed to consuming too many calories. Eating a couple balanced and sensible meals between noon and 7pm is a healthy way to go. 

On the weekends, I don't follow this model- all hell breaks loose by design!
    A colleague didn't eat from 6 pm (18.00) till  lunchtime 12 am (1200) the next day. Said it was suppose to be a good rule to follow.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    I dunno, I'm not totally sold on the intermittent fasting routine.  Seems to me just another short-period weight loss fad, though I'm not a doctor and don't know the science behind it.  Is it possible for the human body to healthfully sustain that eating pattern an entire lifespan?  My gut instinct tells me something isn't right.  Get_Right's pattern seems rather logical. Eat often, but consume sensibly.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    edited February 2019
    I try to go five small meals a day during the week.  The weekend is a different story. 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    I dunno, I'm not totally sold on the intermittent fasting routine.  Seems to me just another short-period weight loss fad, though I'm not a doctor and don't know the science behind it.  Is it possible for the human body to healthfully sustain that eating pattern an entire lifespan?  My gut instinct tells me something isn't right.  Get_Right's pattern seems rather logical. Eat often, but consume sensibly.
    I do ok and I am very lucky.  My wife cooks every morning and every night. We rarely go out to eat during the week. Most restaurants in our area are overpriced and mediocre. I do have my splurges though and corporate dinners in NYC where the amount of food and drink consumed is gluttonous. Pizza is common when the kids are off from school and I can talk my wife into it, she prefers more balanced meals. 
  • Options
    Consider the extra work your digestive system must do processing multiple meals daily.

I am not a fad diet guy at all. I like science and the science behind the intermittent fasting research is pretty solid in my mind.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,636
    Consider the extra work your digestive system must do processing multiple meals daily.

I am not a fad diet guy at all. I like science and the science behind the intermittent fasting research is pretty solid in my mind.
    Me too.
    Nothing short term about it, either, depending on your belief and adoption.  I have been doing it for nearly a year.  Do I cheat on some days?  Yes.  In general though, this is what I have been doing and I like it. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    My entire life I heard that you have to eat small meals frequently to "keep your metabolism stimulated"...the scientific research behind that??  There is none.

Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    I'll have to look into it more, I suppose.  Like I said, I don't know the research behind it but if it works and maintains or improves your health, that's a good thing.  It just seems weird to me. But weird != wrong.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    There are some days I do not eat a meal.  Like the day after a steakhouse feast or a holiday meal. Traveling for business and attending conferences are the the worst. When I get home I beg the wife for a kale smoothie LOL. Find the balance that works for you.
  • Options
    NinetytworulesNinetytworules Boston Posts: 454

Me too.
    Nothing short term about it, either, depending on your belief and adoption.  I have been doing it for nearly a year.  Do I cheat on some days?  Yes.  In general though, this is what I have been doing and I like it. 
    I have stated doing this over the past two months and am a fan. Although near the end some days I get a little hangry. 
  • Options
    I started doing Hello Fresh last week.  It's just a meal plan, not a diet, but one of the benefits of it is portion control which I always have a hard time with.  I always seem to cook too much and usually end up eating everything I cook.  This gives you the right amount of ingredients to make 2 servings (I cut the recipes in half and make two dinners out of each meal throughout the week), plus I'm trying out some things I wouldn't normally buy at the market which is a good thing.  Expanding my cooking ability (which, admittedly, has never been all that great).  I'm probably only going to do it 1-2 weeks a month for 3-4 months and just keep the recipe cards for future shopping on my own.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited February 2019
    I just have a glass of milk and a vitamin for breakfast. I used to also have a cup of coffee after that, but when I quit smoking in October (replaced with vaping - so much better in every way), I realized I wasn't actually having a cigarette with my morning coffee all those years. I was having coffee with my morning cigarette. :lol: As soon as that morning smoke was gone I had absolutely no desire for that cup of coffee - I'd rather sleep for 5 more minutes! So a glass of milk and a multivitamin pill: breakfast of champions, right?? Then I usually don't have anything until 8 hours later right after work, like a snack or maybe a pizza slice during my transit home. And then a big dinner around 8 or 8:30pm. It works for me. I just like to plow through work and not really take breaks so I can get out of there early. Though once in a while I change the routine because I go out for lunch with work friends, but only once or twice a month.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    I started doing Hello Fresh last week.  It's just a meal plan, not a diet, but one of the benefits of it is portion control which I always have a hard time with.  I always seem to cook too much and usually end up eating everything I cook.  This gives you the right amount of ingredients to make 2 servings (I cut the recipes in half and make two dinners out of each meal throughout the week), plus I'm trying out some things I wouldn't normally buy at the market which is a good thing.  Expanding my cooking ability (which, admittedly, has never been all that great).  I'm probably only going to do it 1-2 weeks a month for 3-4 months and just keep the recipe cards for future shopping on my own.
    How much does it cost and is it any good?  I've thought about the different meal services as it would be great to have all the ingredients ready to go.
    EDIT: and does it include pizza =)
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    My entire life I heard that you have to eat small meals frequently to "keep your metabolism stimulated"...the scientific research behind that??  There is none.

I subscribed to this notion at one point as well.

Bottom line: vegetables, meats, fruits.

And moderation.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    How much does it cost and is it any good?  I've thought about the different meal services as it would be great to have all the ingredients ready to go.
    EDIT: and does it include pizza =)
    They have a few plan options.  Pricing varies depending on which combination of servings/recipes you get. Cool thing is you select which meals you want each week (out of about 12-15 options) and no matter what plan you pick to start out with, you can change it at any time, skip weeks, or cancel altogether.

I'm currently doing the "Classic" plan with 2 serving/3 meals and it comes to $61 shipped. Which again, I stretch each into 2 meals since I'm a single guy, so it averages about $10 per dinner.  Last week I got 2 of the vegetarian meals and one carnivore and all three were great.  Quick and easy to make and everything taste great. I skipped this week but getting my 2nd delivery this Saturday for next week (did one veggie & 2 carne this time). Traditional pizza isn't an option as far as I can see ahead, but they do have flatbreads available some weeks.  It does seem after a while the same meals start to get recycled but they're far enough apart and enough other options that you could go months without getting the same thing twice.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,565
    edited February 2019
    rgambs said:

I subscribed to this notion at one point as well.

Bottom line: vegetables, meats, fruits.

And moderation.
    Calories in, calories out. That is about it. Plus getting enough of the right nutrients and vitamins to be and look healthy. Simple. But then it does actually get more complicated once you start looking into ketosis and shit. Carbs vs no carbs, etc. Then more is involved as far as how your body is burning fat/sugars/energy. But generally yeah, weight control is just about how many calories you take in vs how many burn. And FWIW, exercise is seriously only maybe 20% of the equation. Diet is really what people who want to lose weight have to focus on. I mean, someone can go to the gym 2 hours a day, 7 days a week and still not lose any weight if they are still eating 5000 calories a day. I think some very overweight compulsive eaters think that if they just exercise a lot they should lose weight, but that really isn't the case, since it takes SO much exercise to burn relatively few calories, that even excessive exercise isn't going to make a dent in a super high calorie diet. But if someone reduces their daily calorie intake to 1500 calories a day but don't do any exercise at all (or if they do a zero carb diet), the weight will still melt off. Adding exercise would make it melt off just a bit faster (and is good for you obviously, aside from weight loss).
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    :sleepy:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I need to look into the science behind the intermittent fasting approach.  I’ve apparently been a believer in obsolete “science” in that it is best to eat 3-5 smaller meals a day rather than over-indulging in a huge lunch or dinner.  I also question if there is truly a one size fits all approach to this.  If someone is in the gym daily, burning a ton of calories, I’m not sure it is the healthiest approach to eat twice a day with 8 hours in between. Again though, I need to research this more and look at the science.
  • Options
    I read these two articles this afternoon during some downtime.  Both pretty much drive the same point Alli was making above.  Bottom line, no matter how you do it, do it and stick with it.  Lower caloric intake and balanced diet are important, when and how often you eat are not.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3680567/
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/11/181126115842.htm
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    I read these two articles this afternoon during some downtime.  Both pretty much drive the same point Alli was making above.  Bottom line, no matter how you do it, do it and stick with it.  Lower caloric intake and balanced diet are important, when and how often you eat are not.

Interesting.  Diet is definitely paramount to exercise for people watching their weight.  I wonder when low caloric intake becomes too low though.  I train pretty hard and burn a ton of calories and if I’m not eating fairly regularly (healthy foods) I feel very hungry and become too thin. Every body is different, of course. I’m always interested and intrigued by ways to eat healthier overall. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

https://youtu.be/59Hj7bp38f8
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

https://youtu.be/59Hj7bp38f8

• Options
    :lol:
    I love that you keep trying.

Pizza Thread integrity....this makes me want to throw my monitor through a wall.  Which means I thought of sharing with you all when I saw it.  Share the love!  :lol:    

• Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,307
    Lorenzo’s 

chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Awesome.
    Frigging huge!
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,900
    Pie looks great!! 
    I went plain pie, fried ravioli, Italian sub and wings tonight.  (Kids pick and really really good)
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    I'm about due for wings again soon.  I had tacos tonight and got two hot sauces out.  One ghost pepper and very hot.  One pretty mild.  Got them mixed up and doused the fuck out of a taco.  I was actually putting my lips/tongue in my water glass.  (Didn't help)

The Lorenzo's is the largest slices I have seen.  How many pepperoni pieces are there on that thing?!