Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,942
    edited April 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    Without getting into the argument, I would like to mention that Europe in general really does have the housing figured out better, for environmental and efficiency purposes. I didn't watch that video, but know that they tend to build their houses to maximize heating, angled according to the sun, with windows strategically placed for the same reasons, shit like that. I've always admired that. North Americans don't do that at all, but really really should. But hardly anyone cares.
    THEY WALK WITH THEIR SHOES ON INSIDE. 
    I see a lot of cultural differences, nothing more.  At parties I definitely don't take off my shoes but in my house it depends on the situation, sometimes we wear shoes and sometimes we don't.  You bring up shoes but you guys have a washing machine in your god damn bathroom.  The only reason why this would be done is if you live in a real small place.  You don't have ac we do.  (I have two zones) 
    I wouldn't event know how to cook with an electric oven, gas is the way to go. 
    But ya bro, you are definitely obsessed.  It is borderline creepy.  
    1. Some people have the washing machine in the bathroom (if they're cramped for space or live in an apartment with a washing machine). All houses I've been to in my life has their own room for the washing machine and the dryer. Me, living in an apartment have it in the basement like in american horror films. 

2. We don't have AC (some do) because Sweden isn't generally that hot, so it has not been needed. You can just use a fan or open a window.

And pretty stereotypical of you, if you wouldn't care about:

Air conditioners consume huge amounts of energy, though, and that’s adding to climate change. The US uses as much electricity to keep buildings cool as the whole of Africa uses for all its electrical needs. That power largely comes from polluting power stations, adding to the warmer climate.

And air-conditioning in vehicles burns more fuel, making even more greenhouse gases. With the demand for air conditioning rising worldwide, it’s reckoned that in around 30 years’ time more energy could be used for cooling than for heating.

Air conditioning also pumps out heat straight into the atmosphere. Like a fridge, it takes heat from the inside of a building or car, then transfers it to the warm outside. That extra heat makes cities hotter, raising night-time temperatures by up to 2C, which then encourages people to turn up their air conditioning even higher.

And there’s another sting to keeping cool. Air conditioning systems also use powerful greenhouse gases called hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), thousands of times more potent than carbon dioxide. These gases leak out into the atmosphere, especially from vehicles, and global emissions of HFCs rose by more than half between 2007 and 2012, adding to the burden of climate change even more.

3. Gas over electric oven. Well OK. Sit there in the 1950s with your gas oven and your coal (it's coming back) and your gas-hogging SUV and your prehistorical views of men and women.

4. I'm creepy? I'm not the one who at every turn find a way to support Trump. Which I guess could be a sign to why you have problems taking in  people contributing to this thread and instead hop on a "lets call him an obsessed creep"-train. Which funny enough, only the brainwashed "b-b-b-ut our country is the land of the free and our constitution is written by God himself, how can someone oppose that" seems to hop on.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    You are supposed to wear shoes indoors...never slippers.  Shoes are better for your feet healthwise.  The only time I am not wearing shoes is when I am sleeping.
    How about socks or going barefoot...

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    I remember when I backpacked Costa Rica 25 years ago.

We hit this little establishment in San Jose. The waitress came to our table and proceeded to take our drink order. Rob ordered an Imperial (cerveza). The waitress replied they didn't serve alcohol. We looked at each other... kind of astonished.

Rob said, "Welp. I guess I'll have a Fanta."

I laughed my ass off. Every time I hear the term Fanta... I think to that time. 
    That's awesome. Reminds me of the time 20 years ago that I did study abroad in Germany and my friends and I went in to a pub (mind you, we were all 16 and 17, illegal in US, but ready to rock in Deutschland!) and everyone is placing their orders for the various local lagers and it gets to my last buddy and he goes...I'll have a Fanta. We're all like, WTF? I didn't even know what a Fanta was at the time. He was always scared we'd get in trouble with our chaperones.
    What's Pepsis equivalent of Fanta in the US? What is their Fanta-competitor? 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    You are supposed to wear shoes indoors...never slippers.  Shoes are better for your feet healthwise.  The only time I am not wearing shoes is when I am sleeping.

I have extremely bad feet, and my foot and GP both say wear shoes indoors.  Barefeet and socks do not offer support for plantar fasciitis, which is one of the most common foot ailments...now I have an indoor pair of shoes.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2019

I have extremely bad feet, and my foot and GP both say wear shoes indoors.  Barefeet and socks do not offer support for plantar fasciitis, which is one of the most common foot ailments...now I have an indoor pair of shoes.  
    Well, then you have a medical reason. And not living inside some american sitcom nightmare just for the fun of it.

• Options

Well, then you have a medical reason. And not living inside some american sitcom nightmare just for the fun of it.

But wearing shoes indoors protects people's healthy feet as well...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options

But wearing shoes indoors protects people's healthy feet as well...
    Maybe, have not heard about that -- but even so you put on shoes to use indoor and not the shoes you used outdoors. Correct?

But here is some kind of a counter argument, haha -- and something for the USA-loving teacher in the thread:

In Sweden you just don't wear your outdoor shoes inside – okay, maybe you do in a lot of workplaces, but not all of them, and certainly not in schools and homes and so on. And now a ten-year study at the University of Bournemouth has found that children who learn with no shoes on are much better behaved and get better grades than children with shoes on. There is also less bullying. Nobody really knows why – although they think it might be because children generally feel more relaxed and "at home" without their shoes on. The lead researcher, Professor Stephen Heppel, has a very interesting article on "shoeless learning" on his personal website. It seems that the Scandinavians really got it right with this one.
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Nobody cares what Sweden does, especially with their shoes
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    my2hands said:
    Watching Miracle today in class. USA! USA!
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,822
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    What class is that?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2019
    my2hands said:
    Norway is better than Sweden...just sayin’.  
    And fuck that fika, I’ll take my coffee to go!
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,840
    OnWis97 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    What class is that?
    US 2.  Reconstruction to present 
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    I would find it incredibly rude if people came over to my house and kept their shoes on, part of an "ensemble" or not. that's some pretentious sex and the city shit right there. I've never seen one example of that, like, ever, in my adult life. when teens would have a big shaker, of course you leave your shoes on or you risk them being stolen or tossed in the toilet. 

I see old people do it, but that's for support, and they have separate pairs for indoors so they don't make a mess. 

jesus, we walk into someone's cottage and you'd get looked at weird if you left your shoes on. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    my2hands said:
    There's that teenage angst-y disdain again.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    my2hands said:
    There's you piggybacking on anyone having a shitty take again.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    "Norwegians are so adamant about their “no shoes inside” policy, they even enforce it at primary schools—so that children learn it from a young age. "
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    "Norwegians are so adamant about their “no shoes inside” policy, they even enforce it at primary schools—so that children learn it from a young age. "
    That has no relevance to what I just said...Why are you hung up on shoes?  But if shoe wearing is your measure, Norway is definitely way ahead of Sweden!  If given the choice to visit one of the two, I would choose Norway.  Fuck your fika social lube, just go talk to people and be friendly in public...oh wait, that’s taboo in Sweden...such antisocial weirdness...
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    That has no relevance to what I just said...Why are you hung up on shoes?  But if shoe wearing is your measure, Norway is definitely way ahead of Sweden!
    Because the context of this threads discussion is for the moment different shoe-wearing cultures. Get a grip on how social situations work and how to act within them Cruzie. :) 

And yes, I bet Norway does a lot better than Sweden. Where is the conflict in that?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    That has no relevance to what I just said...Why are you hung up on shoes?  But if shoe wearing is your measure, Norway is definitely way ahead of Sweden!
    Because the context of this threads discussion is for the moment different shoe-wearing cultures. Get a grip on how social situations work and how to act within them Cruzie. :) 

And yes, I bet Norway does a lot better than Sweden. Where is the conflict in that?
    So you must agree that Norway is better than Sweden since they push taking shoes off more.  I don’t have to worry too much about awkward social situations here, as people in general are pleasant with each other and enjoy socializing out in public.  I couldn’t handle the Swede’s social awkwardness...just sounds snobby.  Sip that with your socially awkward  fika bros!
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

So you must agree that Norway is better than Sweden since they push taking shoes off more.  I don’t have to worry too much about awkward social situations here, as people in general are pleasant with each other and enjoy socializing out in public.  I couldn’t handle the Swede’s social awkwardness...just sounds snobby.
    You're creating some false narrative here to back me into a corner. What has "pushing harder" to do with anything. 

I would think - in the context of shoewearing - that Norway is similar to Sweden -- "it is absurd to wear your outdoor shoes inside your house". 

And seems all sane people in this thread agree. Regardless of where they're from.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

So you must agree that Norway is better than Sweden since they push taking shoes off more.  I don’t have to worry too much about awkward social situations here, as people in general are pleasant with each other and enjoy socializing out in public.  I couldn’t handle the Swede’s social awkwardness...just sounds snobby.
    You're creating some false narrative here to back me into a corner. What has "pushing harder" to do with anything. 

I would think - in the context of shoewearing - that Norway is similar to Sweden -- "it is absurd to wear your outdoor shoes inside your house". 

And seems all sane people in this thread agree. Regardless of where they're from.
    False narrative?  Nothing false about Norway being the better country overall...especially in the shoe wearing contex...Tell me again, what culture is it weird or outside of the cultural norm to take shoes off indoors?  Seems that YOU are the one creating a false narrative...pretty “pedi” if you ask me, lol. (Pedi/ petty if you didn’t get the joke). I take my shoes off indoors, but personally, I’d rather have a shoe wearer in my house than a snobby Swede with an inferiority
    complex, but that is just me...
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

False narrative?  Nothing false about Norway being the better country overall...especially in the shoe wearing contex...Tell me again, what culture is it weird or outside of the cultural norm to take shoes off indoors?  Seems that YOU are the one creating a false narrative...pretty “pedi” if you ask me, lol. (Pedi/ petty). I take my shoes off indoors, but personally, I’d rather have a shoe wearer in my house than a snobby Swede with an inferiority
    again, I, nor anyone I know, ever wears shoes indoors, unless it's a separate pair specifically for that purpose. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

These are the perfect indoor shoes...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

False narrative?  Nothing false about Norway being the better country overall...especially in the shoe wearing contex...Tell me again, what culture is it weird or outside of the cultural norm to take shoes off indoors?  Seems that YOU are the one creating a false narrative...pretty “pedi” if you ask me, lol. (Pedi/ petty). I take my shoes off indoors, but personally, I’d rather have a shoe wearer in my house than a snobby Swede with an inferiority
    again, I, nor anyone I know, ever wears shoes indoors, unless it's a separate pair specifically for that purpose. 
    Exactly, so do many I know in this not greatest country in the world, but it wouldn’t bug me either way if someone did...unless they had dog shit on their shoes or something.  It would probably be best if some people left their shoes on, though.  There are some nasty footed people out there and I would rather a place not smell like unhygienic feet, lol 
  • Options
    I think what SC is saying is that Americans lack couth.

Tradition of removing shoes in home

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tradition_of_removing_shoes_in_home
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    I have $20 that says the average Swede is more racist than the average American 

Can you even get a taco in that lilly white socialist shithole? Lol
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

Exactly, so do many I know in this not greatest country in the world, but it wouldn’t bug me either way if someone did...unless they had dog shit on their shoes or something.  It would probably be best if some people left their shoes on, though.  There are some nasty footed people out there and I would rather a place not smell like unhygienic feet, lol 
    it would bug me. I find it rude. it's not snobby at all. it's just rude to walk into someone's house and leave your shoes on.

and I don't understand why people keep saying he has an inferiority complex. if anything, it's the opposite (which I also don't believe). 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options

Oh, so he is wrong then.  I’m sure most any American would respect a Swede native’s cultural household rule of taking shoes off, just like we accept many other different cultural norms that people bring with them in this extremely culturally diverse nation.  Would Swedes be so accepting of other cultures bringing in their own standards of “couth”?  From what I’ve seen, probably not.  They would just get looked at with disdain and judgement if I understand Swede antisocial behavior correctly.  

• Options
    PJPOWER said:

Oh, so he is wrong then.  I’m sure most any American would respect a Swede native’s cultural household rule of taking shoes off, just like we accept many other different cultural norms that people bring with them in this extremely culturally diverse nation.  Would Swedes be so accepting of other cultures bringing in their own standards of “couth”?  From what I’ve seen, probably not.  They would just get looked at with disdain and judgement if I understand Swede antisocial behavior correctly.  

where are you getting this "swede antisocial behaviour" stuff from?
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    edited April 2019
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

it would bug me. I find it rude. it's not snobby at all. it's just rude to walk into someone's house and leave your shoes on.

and I don't understand why people keep saying he has an inferiority complex. if anything, it's the opposite (which I also don't believe). 
    You find it rude, but as others have stated, it is household  by household.  I’ll agree to disagree with the last paragraph , but thanks for the laugh!  

This discussion has been closed.