Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited April 2019
    What exactly is this "rudeness" of leaving your shoes on?  How exactly does that insult the homeowner or what about it makes the homeowner feel offended other than "it's just what you do?"  This is another one of those trivial, old-timey, customary tradition things that, when you really think about it, probably had a meaning centuries ago but makes no sense in modern times.  Like taking your hat off indoors.  Who the fuck is bothered by leaving a hat on?
    I mean, obviously, if you have mud, snow, poop, or paint etc on your shoes, you don't want to track it all through the place.  I get that.  But if it's a clear, dry day or you're only stopping by for a few minutes what does it really matter?  And obviously, if the homeowner asks, I'm not going to defy them. Honestly, I usually ask anyway because I know people do take offense to it.  But it's just weird to me to say that it's rude without even really thinking about why it's rude, other than "that's what I was taught" etc.
    Me, personally, I couldn't care less if you leave them on in my house.
    What exactly is the rudeness in taking them off as the normal?

Many people in here are awfully black and whit (not saying you are), I guess that comes with being draped in the flag and therefore lacking critical thinking -  I don't think anyone stops anyone from having the shoes on if they are to run in and catch the car keys they forgot or just gonna pop in quickly with the groceries they helped carry. Or even a new years eve party when @PJ_Soul comes with her high heels matching the dress.

But there is no logic in walking around in outdoor shoes inside your or your friends houses. It's not a Europe or Sweden VS US thing. It's about normal VS absurd.
    Never said it was rude or unnormal to take them off.  I said it was trivial, as in, it doesn't make a difference nor is it absurd either way.
    EDIT: And I posed the question of what exactly makes it rude.  I'm trying to understand because it doesn't make much sense to me to be uptight one way or the other about it.
    of course it's trivial. it all comes down to cultural norms. if you weirdos want to vacuum your house on the daily, go for it. /s

many have answered why it is considered rude in our culture(s). 

Conversely, if I wear socks or go barefoot inside the bottoms of my socks or feet get dirty.  So it's not like carpets and floors don't already harbor their own dirt & debris.  I vacuum & broom sweep about every two weeks, seems to work out well enough.  :i_dunno:  Vacuuming every day would definitely classify someone as a weirdo, though! (also /s)
    Bottom line is, respect the homeowner's wishes.  I'm certainly not trying to argue a for-or-against point, I just don't think it's a big deal whereas I know some people are super strict about it (which is weird to me).
    But, would you say there is some kind of difference between the dust that is being created in your sock-walking home and the dirt and stuff that's under the shoes you've been walking in at Burger King, the gun ranch, the strip mall, the gravel road to the pet sematary, Etc?
    “Take your shoes off sir”

“Awww, shit, put them back on”
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,908
    So when pj plays indoors next should I remove my shoes in order to be polite?
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    What exactly is this "rudeness" of leaving your shoes on?  How exactly does that insult the homeowner or what about it makes the homeowner feel offended other than "it's just what you do?"  This is another one of those trivial, old-timey, customary tradition things that, when you really think about it, probably had a meaning centuries ago but makes no sense in modern times.  Like taking your hat off indoors.  Who the fuck is bothered by leaving a hat on?
    I mean, obviously, if you have mud, snow, poop, or paint etc on your shoes, you don't want to track it all through the place.  I get that.  But if it's a clear, dry day or you're only stopping by for a few minutes what does it really matter?  And obviously, if the homeowner asks, I'm not going to defy them. Honestly, I usually ask anyway because I know people do take offense to it.  But it's just weird to me to say that it's rude without even really thinking about why it's rude, other than "that's what I was taught" etc.

Many people in here are awfully black and whit (not saying you are), I guess that comes with being draped in the flag and therefore lacking critical thinking -  I don't think anyone stops anyone from having the shoes on if they are to run in and catch the car keys they forgot or just gonna pop in quickly with the groceries they helped carry. Or even a new years eve party when @PJ_Soul comes with her high heels matching the dress.

But there is no logic in walking around in outdoor shoes inside your or your friends houses. It's not a Europe or Sweden VS US thing. It's about normal VS absurd.
    Never said it was rude or unnormal to take them off.  I said it was trivial, as in, it doesn't make a difference nor is it absurd either way.
    EDIT: And I posed the question of what exactly makes it rude.  I'm trying to understand because it doesn't make much sense to me to be uptight one way or the other about it.
    of course it's trivial. it all comes down to cultural norms. if you weirdos want to vacuum your house on the daily, go for it. /s

Conversely, if I wear socks or go barefoot inside the bottoms of my socks or feet get dirty.  So it's not like carpets and floors don't already harbor their own dirt & debris.  I vacuum & broom sweep about every two weeks, seems to work out well enough.  :i_dunno:  Vacuuming every day would definitely classify someone as a weirdo, though! (also /s)
    Bottom line is, respect the homeowner's wishes.  I'm certainly not trying to argue a for-or-against point, I just don't think it's a big deal whereas I know some people are super strict about it (which is weird to me).
    But, would you say there is some kind of difference between the dust that is being created in your sock-walking home and the dirt and stuff that's under the shoes you've been walking in at Burger King, the gun ranch, the strip mall, the gravel road to the pet sematary, Etc?
    “Take your shoes off sir”

“Awww, shit, put them back on”
    damn spirtual has some nasty feet.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,073
    mcgruff10 said:
    So when pj plays indoors next should I remove my shoes in order to be polite?
    No, but the next time someones laughs at your jokes you should consider them doing it just to be polite.

NOW I'M OFF WORK! 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Can you even get a taco in Sweden? 
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,594
    I would find it incredibly rude if people came over to my house and kept their shoes on, part of an "ensemble" or not. that's some pretentious sex and the city shit right there. I've never seen one example of that, like, ever, in my adult life. when teens would have a big shaker, of course you leave your shoes on or you risk them being stolen or tossed in the toilet. 

I see old people do it, but that's for support, and they have separate pairs for indoors so they don't make a mess. 

jesus, we walk into someone's cottage and you'd get looked at weird if you left your shoes on. 
    You've never seen a woman wearing her heels at a party? Really? Weird.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    Nobody cares what Sweden does, especially with their shoes
    Norway is better than Sweden...just sayin’.  
    And fuck that fika, I’ll take my coffee to go!
    "Norwegians are so adamant about their “no shoes inside” policy, they even enforce it at primary schools—so that children learn it from a young age. "
    That has no relevance to what I just said...Why are you hung up on shoes?  But if shoe wearing is your measure, Norway is definitely way ahead of Sweden!
    Because the context of this threads discussion is for the moment different shoe-wearing cultures. Get a grip on how social situations work and how to act within them Cruzie. :) 

And yes, I bet Norway does a lot better than Sweden. Where is the conflict in that?
    So you must agree that Norway is better than Sweden since they push taking shoes off more.  I don’t have to worry too much about awkward social situations here, as people in general are pleasant with each other and enjoy socializing out in public.  I couldn’t handle the Swede’s social awkwardness...just sounds snobby.
    You're creating some false narrative here to back me into a corner. What has "pushing harder" to do with anything. 

I would think - in the context of shoewearing - that Norway is similar to Sweden -- "it is absurd to wear your outdoor shoes inside your house". 

And seems all sane people in this thread agree. Regardless of where they're from.
    False narrative?  Nothing false about Norway being the better country overall...especially in the shoe wearing contex...Tell me again, what culture is it weird or outside of the cultural norm to take shoes off indoors?  Seems that YOU are the one creating a false narrative...pretty “pedi” if you ask me, lol. (Pedi/ petty). I take my shoes off indoors, but personally, I’d rather have a shoe wearer in my house than a snobby Swede with an inferiority
    complex, but that is just me...
    again, I, nor anyone I know, ever wears shoes indoors, unless it's a separate pair specifically for that purpose. 
    Exactly, so do many I know in this not greatest country in the world, but it wouldn’t bug me either way if someone did...unless they had dog shit on their shoes or something.  It would probably be best if some people left their shoes on, though.  There are some nasty footed people out there and I would rather a place not smell like unhygienic feet, lol 
    it would bug me. I find it rude. it's not snobby at all. it's just rude to walk into someone's house and leave your shoes on.

and I don't understand why people keep saying he has an inferiority complex. if anything, it's the opposite (which I also don't believe). 
    You find it rude, but as others have stated, it is household by household.  I’ll agree to disagree with the last part, but thanks for the laugh!
    I think one person stated it is household by household. I have never been to any canadian's house where people leave their shoes on. NOT. ONE. 
    Must be a Winnipeg thing?
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:
    "Norwegians are so adamant about their “no shoes inside” policy, they even enforce it at primary schools—so that children learn it from a young age. "
    That has no relevance to what I just said...Why are you hung up on shoes?  But if shoe wearing is your measure, Norway is definitely way ahead of Sweden!
    Because the context of this threads discussion is for the moment different shoe-wearing cultures. Get a grip on how social situations work and how to act within them Cruzie. :) 

And yes, I bet Norway does a lot better than Sweden. Where is the conflict in that?
    So you must agree that Norway is better than Sweden since they push taking shoes off more.  I don’t have to worry too much about awkward social situations here, as people in general are pleasant with each other and enjoy socializing out in public.  I couldn’t handle the Swede’s social awkwardness...just sounds snobby.
    You're creating some false narrative here to back me into a corner. What has "pushing harder" to do with anything. 

I would think - in the context of shoewearing - that Norway is similar to Sweden -- "it is absurd to wear your outdoor shoes inside your house". 

And seems all sane people in this thread agree. Regardless of where they're from.
    False narrative?  Nothing false about Norway being the better country overall...especially in the shoe wearing contex...Tell me again, what culture is it weird or outside of the cultural norm to take shoes off indoors?  Seems that YOU are the one creating a false narrative...pretty “pedi” if you ask me, lol. (Pedi/ petty). I take my shoes off indoors, but personally, I’d rather have a shoe wearer in my house than a snobby Swede with an inferiority
    again, I, nor anyone I know, ever wears shoes indoors, unless it's a separate pair specifically for that purpose. 
    Exactly, so do many I know in this not greatest country in the world, but it wouldn’t bug me either way if someone did...unless they had dog shit on their shoes or something.  It would probably be best if some people left their shoes on, though.  There are some nasty footed people out there and I would rather a place not smell like unhygienic feet, lol 
    it would bug me. I find it rude. it's not snobby at all. it's just rude to walk into someone's house and leave your shoes on.

and I don't understand why people keep saying he has an inferiority complex. if anything, it's the opposite (which I also don't believe). 
    You find it rude, but as others have stated, it is household by household.  I’ll agree to disagree with the last part, but thanks for the laugh!
    I think one person stated it is household by household. I have never been to any canadian's house where people leave their shoes on. NOT. ONE. 
    Alberta and Sask thing too. Everyone takes their shoes off...unless there is a reason they have to wear shoes.

My experience matches Hugh's.

Love the shoe debate.
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829
    I open it up the thread and see 88 new responses...probably 75 related to whether shoes are taken off at parties.  We are very close to an answer here...
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    dignin said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    PJPOWER said:
    my2hands said:

Alberta and Sask thing too. Everyone takes their shoes off...unless there is a reason they have to wear shoes.

My experience matches Hugh's.

Love the shoe debate.
    Lol, okay. Must be prairie thing then! Where I am, the difference is more defined by ethnicity. All the Asians are 100% on the no shoes inside thing. The white people are just defined by household preference. I know that the one thing my mom won't tolerate is bare feet in the house, because the oils in the feet ruin the carpets over time, lol. I have to either keep my shoes on or wear socks or slippers when I go there.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,835
    PJ_Soul said:
    I would find it incredibly rude if people came over to my house and kept their shoes on, part of an "ensemble" or not. that's some pretentious sex and the city shit right there. I've never seen one example of that, like, ever, in my adult life. when teens would have a big shaker, of course you leave your shoes on or you risk them being stolen or tossed in the toilet. 

I see old people do it, but that's for support, and they have separate pairs for indoors so they don't make a mess. 

jesus, we walk into someone's cottage and you'd get looked at weird if you left your shoes on. 
    at a house party? no. 

actually I don't know that I've ever seen anyone wear heels to a house party period. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    not a prairie thing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The great debate.  Shoes on? or Off? 
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    PJ_Soul said:

at a house party? no. 

actually I don't know that I've ever seen anyone wear heels to a house party period. 
    House party? What are we talking about here? Like keggers or big BBQs or whatever, or where bunch of people are there getting drunk? I've never been to a party like that were anyone took their shoes off at all TBH, mainly because people are usually going in and out of the house constantly. But I meant grown up parties, lol. Like dinner parties and baby showers and open house Christmas parties and shit like that. Parties where people are trying to look nice, wearing dress shirts and heels and whatnot. I think it is rude to make people who are dressed up to remove their shoes.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,419

No clue, I don't go to those places.  I always wipe my shoes on the welcome mat outside (even when dry) so loose debris is never an issue.  I'd imagine any remaining dust is not much different.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

at a house party? no. 

House party? What are we talking about here? Like keggers or big BBQs or whatever, or where bunch of people are there getting drunk? I've never been to a party like that were anyone took their shoes off at all TBH, mainly because people are usually going in and out of the house constantly. But I meant grown up parties, lol. Like dinner parties and baby showers and open house Christmas parties and shit like that. Parties where people are trying to look nice, wearing dress shirts and heels and whatnot. I think it is rude to make people who are dressed up to remove their shoes.
    all of the above. and again, I don't know how many times I have to say this, i have never had to "make" anyone take their shoes off. it's a known custom, and everyone does it, regardless of occasion. 

I have been all over canada, and not once, ever, have people thought I was weird for taking my shoes off, nor have I ever seen anyone wear their shoes inside. 

I've even seen two guys leaving a party to go fight, putting their shoes on at the front door before they went outside to beat the shit out of each other. LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Yeah, you've got to wipe your feet before going in. That is what doormats are made for after all.
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,248
    Question for you, have you ever thought about all the places those shoes have been before they walk all over the inside of your place? I mean, think about public restrooms, gas stations, any store, the county fair, bars and on and on. Yuck! You might as well quit washing your hands while you're at it because you've already spread any form of bacteria and virus possible with those lovely shoes. Would you also wear the clothes you had on all day to bed?

I can't believe people don't see the issue someone would have if you want to wear your shoes all over their home.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Question for you, have you ever thought about all the places those shoes have been before they walk all over the inside of your place? I mean, think about public restrooms, gas stations, any store, the county fair, bars and on and on. Yuck! You might as well quit washing your hands while you're at it because you've already spread any form of bacteria and virus possible with those lovely shoes. Would you also wear the clothes you had on all day to bed?

I can't believe people don't see the issue someone would have if you want to wear your shoes all over their home.
    exactly. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I think you're seriously underestimating how gross some people's feet are.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    And grossly overexaggerating the dirtiness of shoe tread.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    And grossly overexaggerating the dirtiness of shoe tread.
    Yeah, that too.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    people generally wear socks where I'm from. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    people generally wear socks where I'm from. 
    UNHEARD OF. WHAT IS SOCKS?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Yeah, you've got to wipe your feet before going in. That is what doormats are made for after all.
    Still poop bacetria on them. Within a month of wearing shows 9 out of 10 have poop bacetria. 

But that is not the issue. The issue is — its just more normal to take your shoes of in most cases when visiting someone or being at home. 

Just like its more normal and sane to have public healthcare. 
  • Options
    tbergs said:

No more than I think about all the food crumbs, boogers & eye crud & scabs flicked, pet hair, dead bug parts, skin cells, hair, mites, belly lint, toe jam, sweat, etc that may be absorbed on someone's floor.
    And I don't wear clothes to bed because it's uncomfortable, but I certainly don't change the clothes I wore all day to sit on the couch, recliner, at the dinner table, etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    my2hands said:
    Can you even get a taco in Sweden? 
    Yes. 

Is climate change even a priority for the administration in the US?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    so if some of us are grossly exaggerating the dirtiness of shoe tread, at the same time as underestimating how gross someone's feet are, would you be ok with someone walking/driving around your neighbourhood, stopping for gas and going to the washroom there, and then coming into your house and walking around with those same bare feet?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    so if some of us are grossly exaggerating the dirtiness of shoe tread, at the same time as underestimating how gross someone's feet are, would you be ok with someone walking/driving around your neighbourhood, stopping for gas and going to the washroom there, and then coming into your house and walking around with those same bare feet?
    I don't know if I'd want someone who refuses to ever wear shoes over at my house in any case, lol.
  • Options
    Who cares?  Do you guys lick or eat off the floor? If the floor gets dirty I bust out my vacuum or swiffer and clean it up. 
This discussion has been closed.