Options

Is America the greatest country in the world?

Comments

• Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    PJNB said:
    A little off topic but it is crazy how small land wise Japan is and how many people are crammed in there. It is also crazy how low their crime rate is with so many people stacked on top of each other. Could you imagine the crime in the States if they were shrunk to 3 times the land size of Japan with the same population they have now (using 3 times because of the population is around 3 times more). 
    Their suicide rate is astronomical though, interesting part of some asian cultures 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    edited November 2018
    Let me say this clearly.

America has great things, good things, average things, and bad things... just like every where else in the world. 

This thread is filled with people just focusing on the negative... over, and over, and over, and over... i personally have a lot of issues with my country, i hope you all have issues with your country,  because no nation or region is perfect, far from it. Reading this thread you would think America is hell on earth lol

Nobody in here has claimed America is the GOAT... so posters can feel free to stop reposting the american negatives over and over, i think we have it covered, thanks.

And i'm no thin skinned patriot... just a little bored with the stereotyping... and anybody that has a problem with me defending the people of my country, my neighbors, my friends, and my family,  you can sit & spin 
    Post edited by my2hands on
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    So how do you really feel?
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837

my2hands said:
    Let me say this clearly.

America has great things, good things, average things, and bad things... just like every where else in the world. 

This thread is filled with people just focusing on the negative... over, and over, and over, and over... i personally have a lot of issues with my country, i hope you all have issues with your country,  because no nation or region is perfect, far from it. Reading this thread you would think America is hell on earth lol

Nobody in here has claimed America is the GOAT... so posters can feel free to stop reposting the american negatives over and over, i think we have it covered, thanks.

And i'm no thin skinned patriot... just a little bored with the stereotyping... and anybody that has a problem with me defending the people of my country, my neighbors, my friends, and my family,  you can sit & spin 
    I think a lot of the negativity is politics spilling over. It seems to be a conservative mantra to put an American flag somewhere on your Facebook profile in some asinine attempt  to boast how patriotic you are. When in reality we know these people are generally insular and xenophobic.(Hell, only about 1/3 of Americans even own passports.)  Especially that ridiculous 'I stand for the flag, I kneel before God' one. Maybe knocking America is just a shot at bringing them off their high horse. 

• Options
    my2hands said:
    Let me say this clearly.

Did you read the thread title?

Don't be so sensitive my patriotic friend.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,105
    my2hands said:
    Let me say this clearly.

Did you see what was first posted? This was obviously a bash america thread from the beginning. Which, if you are honest, if what a lot of threads are about. They say they only bashing trump etc and in some cases it’s true, but mostly just an excuse to over generalize an entire country and get away with it because it’s the USA.  It gets really freakin old. 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,872
    I also believe the us has the greatest colleges/universities in the world. So comedy and higher education Del!!  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    A large number of comedians that people think are American are actually Canadian ;) 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    A large number of comedians that people think are American are actually Canadian ;) 
    My two favorite right now are Kevin hart and Sebastian maniscalfo.  I saw the new Adam Sandler on Netflix the other day and it was hilarious.  I know mike Myers is from Canada but who else?  Dane cook maybe?
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    My two favorite right now are Kevin hart and Sebastian maniscalfo.  I saw the new Adam Sandler on Netflix the other day and it was hilarious.  I know mike Myers is from Canada but who else?  Dane cook maybe?
    Jim Carey
    Dan Aykroyd
    Tommy Chong
    Howie Mandel
    Norm McDonald
    Russel Peters
    Mike J Fox
    Seth Rogan

just a few of many....

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    The nations of France and Germany elected leaders who could respectfully commemorate 100 years since the ending of a war.
    Americans elected someone who can't go out in the rain because of wig issues. 
    So that is another point against America being a normal country let alone the greatest.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,294
    The nations of France and Germany elected leaders who could respectfully commemorate 100 years since the ending of a war.
    Americans elected someone who can't go out in the rain because of wig issues. 
    So that is another point against America being a normal country let alone the greatest.
    He can’t wipe either he tried using his shoe it didn’t work to well ..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    brianlux said:
    There are very few places besides America that I would consider as alternatives to living in America, very few places that I believe would be as livable as America.  But I don't think that makes any country "great".  This world is becoming more and more a difficult place in which to live.  We are lucky to live in America instead of Myanmar or North Korea or Somalia, etc.  That means it is better.  But "great?"  I'm not sure there is any country in the world I would call "great".  I really don't think so.  Not any more.  Not in 2018.  Countries vary, but they are just "better" or "worse". 
    I agree lucky to have landed here !
    I'm glad you did, Jose!  :smile:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    After watching a Kevin hart special last night I have to say that we have the greatest comedians in the world. 
    No way surly u.k does
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    PJNB said:
    A little off topic but it is crazy how small land wise Japan is and how many people are crammed in there. It is also crazy how low their crime rate is with so many people stacked on top of each other. Could you imagine the crime in the States if they were shrunk to 3 times the land size of Japan with the same population they have now (using 3 times because of the population is around 3 times more). 
    Good point although you have to factor in this as well:

The average American adult weighs 195.7 pounds.
    The Average Japanese adult weighs 132 pounds.

(Meaning to be an off-hand poke at Americans, not Japanese!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Kevin Hart is annoying af
  • Options
    Smellyman said:
    Kevin Hart is annoying af
    The comedian?  How so?

• Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    edited November 2018
    Dbl.
    Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,519
    Over exposure.  He is in every crappy comedy made, every time turn on tv he is on it with his same ol over the top loud shtick.  Every talk show, every special.  Give it a rest man
  • Options
    Australia has some good comedians...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    PJNB said:

In the context of a potus threatening to withhold help to his country's largest state that is suffering horrendous wildfires, while it is suffering, we may be headed for our second civil war, if he refuses to step aside when a democrat gets more electoral votes in two years.

When a country allows its trees, rocks and deserts more voice than living people, that can't be good for peace.

• Options
    Smellyman said:
    Over exposure.  He is in every crappy comedy made, every time turn on tv he is on it with his same ol over the top loud shtick.  Every talk show, every special.  Give it a rest man
    An excellent example of why, other than maybe the World Series and during critical news events, I do not watch television.  A complete waste of time in my opinion.  Nothing but crap.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I also believe the us has the greatest colleges/universities in the world. So comedy and higher education Del!!  

Debatable.

You also have some universities and colleges that are not very credible as well, Scruffy. I'm not trying to rain on your parade because schools like MIT or Stanford are definitely awesome; however, there are many other schools that hardly qualify as 'higher learning' on the global scale.
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    Let me say this clearly.

Did you see what was first posted? This was obviously a bash america thread from the beginning. Which, if you are honest, if what a lot of threads are about. They say they only bashing trump etc and in some cases it’s true, but mostly just an excuse to over generalize an entire country and get away with it because it’s the USA.  It gets really freakin old. 

Look... if you're that concerned with your image... stop bombing middle east countries and electing doughheads as your president!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Debatable.

You also have some universities and colleges that are not very credible as well, Scruffy. I'm not trying to rain on your parade because schools like MIT or Stanford are definitely awesome; however, there are many other schools that hardly qualify as 'higher learning' on the global scale.
    There s good schools and bad schools in every country. I still believe we have the best. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    Where do you get this information from?

Do you even have free college/university studies?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:

Free doesn’t mean quality. 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

No, but it does mean accessible. And it doesn’t mean it isn’t quality. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    I searched google and this was the first one I read:
    https://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings  The us has 16 universities in the top 20 and 30 in the top 50.  Not too shabby.  I don't think I saw a Swedish school in the top 50.

how bout this one:  https://cwur.org/2018-19.php  16 in the top 20 and 32 in the top 50.
    according to the one sweden comes in at 86, uppsala university.

https://thebestschools.org/rankings/best-universities-world-today  16 in the top 20

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/the-10-best-universities-in-the-world.html  5 in the top 10
    UK-based higher education analytics company Quacquarelli Symonds(QS) analyzed data from 1,000 of the world's best universities and found that while American institutions continue to dominate, there are several schools beyond the U.S. that crack the top 10 universities in the world.

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

No, but it does mean accessible. And it doesn’t mean it isn’t quality. 
    There's plenty of accessible schools in the us. State schools and community colleges are a bargain.  The private schools are out of control. From what I have seen it seems like university of toronto is tops in canada.  
This discussion has been closed.