Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,066
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:
    Who has the brass ones to admit they voted for Trump and regret it?

I won't judge, just hoping for one honest soul out there!!!
    I'll bite here..  I read these conversations daily but don't post.  I find it interesting to read your differing opinions - I live in the highly conservative south where we don't hear as much of the liberal opinions (outside of the news media).  

Perhaps I am like many - I am a college educated, white male conservative.  I agree strongly with republican ideologies - especially issues of economics, social programs, healthcare, border security and military strength.  I did not vote for Trump in the primaries.  He likely would have been my third or fourth choice at best.  Certainly his candidacy seemed unlikely to materialize, and I was a shocked as many to see him win the republican nomination.  

So I did vote for Trump in the presidential election.  Many of his campaign messages did appeal to my ideology, and my alternative choice (Clinton) represents the opposite of many of my political feelings.  So I voted republican.  I am not an unwavering supporter of Donald Trump.  But during the election period I could not think positively about a Clinton presidency.  

Today I'm very uneasy about the Trump presidency.  I don't have regret, because to me that would indicate that I should have voted differently.  But I'm not proud of what has transpired since the inauguration.  

I don't think I view Trump with great positive "spin".  I don't stand behind his every move with support.  I believe he has made many missteps, but I also believe the news media has a determination to trash his presidency.  

So, I'm still in wait and see mode.  If concrete proof of Trump's improprieties come to light, he should face the consequences that are appropriate.  And he'll deserve the media treatment.  But I will not jump to conclusions based on news reports yet to be confirmed.   

I will not debate policy with any of you, I'm not interested in that.  But I think there are many out there with a similar story to mine.  We hear the very vocal far left and right, while many of us lie much more quietly, somewhere in the middle.  
    I'm always curious at those who admit for voting for Trump to know if their mom, wife, and/or daughters are ok with them voting for an admitted sexual abuser just because he had an R in front of his name.  Seriously I'm curious (and not trying to bash you) to know how you reconcile that in your mind. 
    My wife, mother and sister all voted for Donald Trump.  I will not speak on their behalf to defend their decision and I don't feel the need to reconcile in my mind.  

All I will venture is they will make a similar argument.  How do liberal women, many of whom supported Clinton in part because she's a woman, stand behind her knowing how she allowed her husband to treat their marriage?  

To me, these conversations take a very back seat to other political issues that I feel are more important (economics, immigration, etc).

Again, I'm not interested in debating this, but for every democrats opinion, there is an opposing republican opinion.  
    Having a husband who cheats is not even close to comparable to sexual assault.

To answer your question, it is not offensive to women for another woman to choose to stay with a cheating husband, FYI. That is a personal decision, and any woman should just support every other woman's right to make her own personal decisions and manage their marriages any way they want to. I wouldn't have made the same decisions that Hillary did, but that doesn't mean I expect all women to act like I would in the face of cheating (and some women just don't care about shit like that going on in their marriage, which is also their right).
    I may go back and edit, I don't mean to compare the offenses.  I would apply your same statement "women's right to make her own personal decisions" and apply it to their election decision.  
    It's crazy to me how many of the women I interact with are judged negatively for their decision to vote for Donald Trump.  It has affected longtime personal relationships.  
    Yeah well... I admit I harshly judge women who voted for him too. And yes, of course they have the right to make their own personal decisions, including terrible ones. Supporting a woman's right to choose does not mean that you have to respect every decision they make. You can hate their decisions and still acknowledge their right to make it (a message I'd also like to send out to pro-lifers, lol). However, some decisions are simply more righteous than others. Voting for a sexual predator and trying to maintain a bad marriage are hardly in the same ballpark, and all things are almost never equal. I just don't think that not voting for a woman because she chose to try and salvage and bad marriage and voting for a sexual predator who has openly stated that women are inferior to men and who wants to fuck his own daughter are two things you can hold up next to each other and logically say 'if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.' If a woman is going to vote for Trump instead of Hillary because Hillary stayed in a troubled marriage, then just how in the hell are they going to turn around and justify voting for TRUMP of all people, a man who has cheated MULTIPLE times, whose wife obviously can't stand him but stays with him anyhow, and who wants to fuck his daughter. I mean, if Hillary's marriage decisions are the justification for voting Trump, I call bullshit, or, at best, the most irrational form of hypocrisy I've ever heard of.

bra-fucking-vo. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

I'll bite here..  I read these conversations daily but don't post.  I find it interesting to read your differing opinions - I live in the highly conservative south where we don't hear as much of the liberal opinions (outside of the news media).  

Perhaps I am like many - I am a college educated, white male conservative.  I agree strongly with republican ideologies - especially issues of economics, social programs, healthcare, border security and military strength.  I did not vote for Trump in the primaries.  He likely would have been my third or fourth choice at best.  Certainly his candidacy seemed unlikely to materialize, and I was a shocked as many to see him win the republican nomination.  

So I did vote for Trump in the presidential election.  Many of his campaign messages did appeal to my ideology, and my alternative choice (Clinton) represents the opposite of many of my political feelings.  So I voted republican.  I am not an unwavering supporter of Donald Trump.  But during the election period I could not think positively about a Clinton presidency.  

Today I'm very uneasy about the Trump presidency.  I don't have regret, because to me that would indicate that I should have voted differently.  But I'm not proud of what has transpired since the inauguration.  

I don't think I view Trump with great positive "spin".  I don't stand behind his every move with support.  I believe he has made many missteps, but I also believe the news media has a determination to trash his presidency.  

So, I'm still in wait and see mode.  If concrete proof of Trump's improprieties come to light, he should face the consequences that are appropriate.  And he'll deserve the media treatment.  But I will not jump to conclusions based on news reports yet to be confirmed.   

I will not debate policy with any of you, I'm not interested in that.  But I think there are many out there with a similar story to mine.  We hear the very vocal far left and right, while many of us lie much more quietly, somewhere in the middle.  
    I'm always curious at those who admit for voting for Trump to know if their mom, wife, and/or daughters are ok with them voting for an admitted sexual abuser just because he had an R in front of his name.  Seriously I'm curious (and not trying to bash you) to know how you reconcile that in your mind. 
    My wife, mother and sister all voted for Donald Trump.  I will not speak on their behalf to defend their decision and I don't feel the need to reconcile in my mind.  

All I will venture is they will make a similar argument.  How do liberal women, many of whom supported Clinton in part because she's a woman, stand behind her knowing how she allowed her husband to treat their marriage?  

To me, these conversations take a very back seat to other political issues that I feel are more important (economics, immigration, etc).

Again, I'm not interested in debating this, but for every democrats opinion, there is an opposing republican opinion.  

To answer your question, it is not offensive to women for another woman to choose to stay with a cheating husband, FYI. That is a personal decision, and any woman should just support every other woman's right to make her own personal decisions and manage their marriages any way they want to. I wouldn't have made the same decisions that Hillary did, but that doesn't mean I expect all women to act like I would in the face of cheating (and some women just don't care about shit like that going on in their marriage, which is also their right).
    I may go back and edit, I don't mean to compare the offenses.  I would apply your same statement "women's right to make her own personal decisions" and apply it to their election decision.  
    It's crazy to me how many of the women I interact with are judged negatively for their decision to vote for Donald Trump.  It has affected longtime personal relationships.  
    Yeah well... I admit I harshly judge women who voted for him too. And yes, of course they have the right to make their own personal decisions, including terrible ones. Supporting a woman's right to choose does not mean that you have to respect every decision they make. You can hate their decisions and still acknowledge their right to make it (a message I'd also like to send out to pro-lifers, lol). However, some decisions are simply more righteous than others. Voting for a sexual predator and trying to maintain a bad marriage are hardly in the same ballpark, and all things are almost never equal. I just don't think that not voting for a woman because she chose to try and salvage and bad marriage and voting for a sexual predator who has openly stated that women are inferior to men and who wants to fuck his own daughter are two things you can hold up next to each other and logically say 'if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.' If a woman is going to vote for Trump instead of Hillary because Hillary stayed in a troubled marriage, then just how in the hell are they going to turn around and justify voting for TRUMP of all people, a man who has cheated MULTIPLE times, whose wife obviously can't stand him but stays with him anyhow, and who wants to fuck his daughter. I mean, if Hillary's marriage decisions are the justification for voting Trump, I call bullshit, or, at best, the most irrational form of hypocrisy I've ever heard of.

bra-fucking-vo. 

Bravo?

Even if that rant was all true President Trump won.
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,728
    I usually ignore your posts, but I'll respond to the link. Those are interviews that highlight the illogical thinking of trump voters. Divides are happening in personal relationships because trump voters aren't explaining themselves past the point of questioning their logic when presented with facts.  
  • Options
    I usually ignore your posts, but I'll respond to the link. Those are interviews that highlight the illogical thinking of trump voters. Divides are happening in personal relationships because trump voters aren't explaining themselves past the point of questioning their logic when presented with facts.  
    It doesn't matter. You asked and real women gave you answers. Immediately you dismissed their opinions as illogical thinking. Imagine saying that to someone who confides in you?
    President Trump won.
  • Options
    hurricanezekehurricanezeke Posts: 177
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

Yeah well... I admit I harshly judge women who voted for him too. And yes, of course they have the right to make their own personal decisions, including terrible ones. Supporting a woman's right to choose does not mean that you have to respect every decision they make. You can hate their decisions and still acknowledge their right to make it (a message I'd also like to send out to pro-lifers, lol). However, some decisions are simply more righteous than others. Voting for a sexual predator and voting against trying to maintain a marriage are hardly in the same ballpark. I just don't think that not voting for a woman because she chose to try and salvage and bad marriage and voting for a sexual predator who has openly stated that women are inferior to men are two things you can hold up next to each other and logically say 'if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.' If a woman is going to vote for Trump instead of Hillary because Hillary stayed in a troubled marriage, then just how in the hell are they going to turn around and justify voting for TRUMP of all people, a man who has cheated MULTIPLE times, whose wife obviously can't stand him but stays with him anyhow, and who wants to fuck his daughter. I mean, if Hillary's marriage decisions are the justification for voting Trump, I call bullshit, or, at best, the most irrational form of hypocrisy I've ever heard of.

Hey, I won't disagree with much or anything here.  And I won't speak for the women in my life or debate the underlying issues that affect others decision making.  That's not for an internet forum.  Too much is lost in an electronic conversation.  

My intent in coming here was to give insight into MY decision, which mostly revolves around the form of government I prefer. Donald Trump is the man nominated, thus my support (though he has presented very scary situations).  My priorities are conservative economics, small government, no expansion of public welfare systems (not elimination), no mandated health insurance, etc.  If that is what I believe in, voting for Clinton was not the best option.  

I'm afraid that no matter how eloquently I describe my ideologies, the problem will be that I'm "wrong" in the eyes of liberal supporters.  And that makes this a very difficult conversation.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,797
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

Yeah well... I admit I harshly judge women who voted for him too. And yes, of course they have the right to make their own personal decisions, including terrible ones. Supporting a woman's right to choose does not mean that you have to respect every decision they make. You can hate their decisions and still acknowledge their right to make it (a message I'd also like to send out to pro-lifers, lol). However, some decisions are simply more righteous than others. Voting for a sexual predator and voting against trying to maintain a marriage are hardly in the same ballpark. I just don't think that not voting for a woman because she chose to try and salvage and bad marriage and voting for a sexual predator who has openly stated that women are inferior to men are two things you can hold up next to each other and logically say 'if it's good for the goose it's good for the gander.' If a woman is going to vote for Trump instead of Hillary because Hillary stayed in a troubled marriage, then just how in the hell are they going to turn around and justify voting for TRUMP of all people, a man who has cheated MULTIPLE times, whose wife obviously can't stand him but stays with him anyhow, and who wants to fuck his daughter. I mean, if Hillary's marriage decisions are the justification for voting Trump, I call bullshit, or, at best, the most irrational form of hypocrisy I've ever heard of.

Hey, I won't disagree with much or anything here.  And I won't speak for the women in my life or debate the underlying issues that affect others decision making.  That's not for an internet forum.  Too much is lost in an electronic conversation.  

My intent in coming here was to give insight into MY decision, which mostly revolves around the form of government I prefer. Donald Trump is the man nominated, thus my support (though he has presented very scary situations).  My priorities are conservative economics, small government, no expansion of public welfare systems (not elimination), no mandated health insurance, etc.  If that is what I believe in, voting for Clinton was not the best option.  

I'm afraid that no matter how eloquently I describe my ideologies, the problem will be that I'm "wrong" in the eyes of liberal supporters.  And that makes this a very difficult conversation.  
    Be nice if you stick around.  We need more conservatives here, although that doesn't necessarily mean that DJT has to be defensible.  
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,728
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

Conservatives being wrong comes out in the discussion of each policy and position. I understand you don't want that duscussion, so that's cool. What I see that's common among more rational trump voters is the building up of Clinton's negatives, and the minimization of trump's negatives. Then hope added on top. 
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

What I see that's common among more rational trump voters is the building up of Clinton's negatives, and the minimization of trump's negatives. Then hope added on top. 
    I don't disagree with this.  Many were faced with a "best of the worst" decision between DJT and HRC.  They were not considering benefits as much as blemishes.  I don't completely fall into that category, but I see it.  
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,743
    edited May 2017
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:

Yes, it does make it a difficult conversation and I empathize with that. I think you're running into those difficulties because many (and not just liberals) think that the reality of Trump is not worth those things if you do support them, and also because Trump in fact does not represent any of those things in a responsible manner, if at all. I think many simply feel that a non-emotional argument defending a Trump vote just doesn't hold up to reality. Especially not the small government part, and especially considering his insane cabinet choices and all the kooky positions they stand for. So in short, and please forgive me for being blunt, I think a lot of people feel that justifications for a Trump vote at this point are quite irrational. Corrupt conflicts of interest and padding the wallets of billionaires do not seem like ideals that fiscal conservatives cherish, you know?

What I really can't wrap my mind around is the fact that a fiscally conservative Republican can support Trump any more than a left-learning person can. I truly don't get it. I don't understand how anyone can morally justify supporting Trump no matter where they stand in terms of economic policy. I mean, if someone who was corrupt, sexist, disgusting, perverted, dishonest, crazy, and unable to be coherent half the time ran for a leftist party that I would normally strongly support, and who shamelessly ran on a platform of racism, I would not be able to justify that vote. I simply won't vote for blatantly morally bankrupt people who sexually assault women and draw the admiration of the KKK. I would vote for any party but the one who has a person like that as a leader. I won't place my morals and decency or the reputation of my nation beneath fiscal preferences. A leader who supports unions and universal health care, legalizing pot and advancing alternate energy technologies, but also sexually assaults women, encourages violence at rallies, and thumbs their nose at our allies is not someone I would consider voting for. So....  maybe now you can see why a lot of people think you're "wrong" in voting for Trump? To them it is largely a matter of simple morality, even in the political arena, where morals live on a lower plane of existence already.

Plus, all the insane tweet rants, the looks in the eyes of his wife and youngest son, the serious nepotism problem, the way he's profiting personally through his decisions as President, the whole Russia thing, and the cuckoo-bananas anti-media propaganda that is truly Orwellian.... Yeah, sorry. I just don't understand how anyone can continue to say they are happy with their decision to vote this guy in, even if they like a few of his ideas. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all, and that's not for lack of trying to understand.

And ALL that said, I agree with mrussel1 - it would be nice if you stuck around. I don't say any of this with a personal touch, and am conscious of the possibility that it might offend you as a Trump voter. I think we all want more conservatives who are able to be reasonable and keep the rest of us honest.
    Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,268
    i think we can all agree on something.

worst.

president.

ever.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

You've done a good job trying to detail your position.

You got the guy you wanted. I hope that works out for you.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    pjhawks said:
    my2hands said:

you aren't wrong in the eyes of liberal supporters. i supported hillary in the general and bernie in the primary. before that i supported biden in the primary and obama in the general. before that i voted for kerry, then gore. i picked the people who best were in line with my principles at the time. none of them were my perfect candidate.

liberal supporters are not viewing you as wrong. it is history that will show that you were wrong in the eyes of reality.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options

Yes, it does make it a difficult conversation and I empathize with that. I think you're running into those difficulties because many (and not just liberals) think that the reality of Trump is not not worth those things even if you do support them, and also because Trump in fact does not represent any of those things in a responsible manner, if at all. I think many simply think that a non-emotional argument defending a Trump vote just doesn't hold up to reality. Especially not the small government part, and especially considering his insane cabinet choices and all the kooky positions they stand for. So in short, and please forgive me for being blunt, I think a lot of people feel that justifications for a Trump vote at this point are quite irrational. Corrupt conflicts of interest and padding the wallets of billionaires do not seem like ideals that fiscal conservatives cherish, you know?

But what I really can't really wrap my mind around a fiscally conservative Republican can support Trump any more than any left-learning person can. I truly don't get it. And really I don't get how anyone can morally justify supporting Trump no matter where they stand in terms of economic policy. I mean, if someone who was corrupt, sexist, disgusting, perverted, dishonest, crazy, and unable to be coherent half the time ran for a leftist party that I would normally strongly support, and who shamelessly ran on a platform of racism, I would not be able to justify that vote. I simply won't vote for blatantly morally bankrupt people who sexually assault women and draw the admiration of the KKK. I would vote for any party but the one who has a person like that as a leader. I won't place my morals and decency or the reputation of my nation beneath fiscal preferences. A leader who supports unions and universal health care, legalizing pot and advancing alternate energy technologies, but also sexually assaults women, encourages violence at rallies, and thumbs their nose at our allies is not someone I would consider voting for. So....  maybe now you can see why a lot of people think you're "wrong" in voting for Trump? To them it is largely a matter of simple morality, even in the political arena, where morals live on a lower plane of existence already.

Plus, all the insane tweet rants, the looks in the eyes of his wife and youngest son, the serious nepotism problem, the way he's profiting personally through his decisions as President, the whole Russia thing, and the cuckoo-bananas anti-media propaganda that is truly Orwellian.... Yeah, sorry. I just don't understand how anyone can continue to say they are happy with their decision to vote this guy in, even if they like a few of his ideas. It just doesn't make any sense to me at all, and that's not for lack of trying to understand.

And ALL that said, I agree with mrussel1 - it would be nice if you stuck around. I don't say any of this with a personal touch, and am conscious of the possibility that it might offend you as a Trump voter. I think we all want more conservatives who are able to be reasonable and keep the rest of us honest.
    I actually think this is a good debate because I can totally understand your philosophy, even if I don't agree with all.  And I also agree in part.  I could pick out some of your comments and give my rebuttal, but it couldn't make an all encompassing supportive argument for Trump.  Going back to my original reply, I am/was an admitted reluctant Trump voter.  I am concerned with things that are happening.  

I'm not overly political.  I don't typically engage in these conversations, but I like the way the original question was posed and thought I might be able to provide a republican voter's outlook to this forum.  I care about the direction of our country, but I spend more time reading college football scouting reports than political blogs and news reports. 

My personal expectations of Trump are not coming to fruition.  Many things are becoming concerning that put into jeopardy the optimism of my republican support. The conflicts of interest and hiring of business "friends" to pad wallets are things I hoped would not happen.  The nepotism is worse than expected - only a fool would think none would have existed.  The tweets are stupid.  But that doesn't change my stance on the issues.  And the policies I hope for are getting slammed to the back burner because of other controversy.  

It could be argued that republican and democrat philosophies have never been so different. At least not in my lifetime.  With that comes greater differences in the the public's view of our politician's and a fiercer debate.  

I'll hang around, definitely will continue to lurk. 
    Atlanta 2003
    Columbia 2008
    Charlotte 2013
    Seattle 2013
    Greenville 2016
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,953
    Pay attention to the tweets folks.  http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/president-trump-overseas-trip-saudi-arabia-article-1.3171134

President Trump's first overseas trip as commander-in-chief, slated to kick off Friday, will include a Twitter forum with young Saudis, a "direct" speech about Islam and numerous one-on-one and group meetings with foreign heads-of state.

The President's traveling entourage, for parts of or the entirety of the trip, will reportedly include McMaster, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson, Chief Strategist Stephen Bannon, Chief of Staff Reince Priebus, Deputy National Security Adviser Dina Powell, aides Gary Cohn and Stephen Miller, Press Secretary Sean Spicer, and daughter and son-in-law Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner.
    Trump requires that many minders and even then the chances of him offending or going off message are great.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Kev - Coat and KeysKev - Coat and Keys Earth Posts: 357
    The American error that is the Trump administration seems to be summed up well tonight with stories about Mueller being appointed as special council, while simultaneously I am seeing Trump wants to appoint the ridiculously terrible David Clarke to homeland security.
    Good luck everyone.
  • Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,127
    i think we can all agree on something.

worst.

president.

ever.
    I betcha the Godfather would disagree, he would say it's STILL former President Obama.

To me DJT is pretty bad in that his decision to fire Comey​ is certainly one of the WORST presidential decisions EVER! He now is facing a SC in Mueller with far more power and integrity than what Comey could ever investigate. It's like he WANTS to dig his own grave. The way this is going Melania won't have to worry about having to move to DC with Baron. Notice no tweets today as far as I can recall.

With a special counsel the FBI will get to the bottom of these investigations.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    My mom and step dad voted for trump because they hated obama.  They also hate obamacare even though they really do not have much of a clue about what exactly it provided (including saving my sister's life).  
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,646
    all the "lock her (him) up" folks all silent?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304

Yes, it does make it a difficult conversation and I empathize with that. I think you're running into those difficulties because many (and not just liberals) think that the reality of Trump is not not worth those things even if you do support them, and also because Trump in fact does not represent any of those things in a responsible manner, if at all. I think many simply think that a non-emotional argument defending a Trump vote just doesn't hold up to reality. Especially not the small government part, and especially considering his insane cabinet choices and all the kooky positions they stand for. So in short, and please forgive me for being blunt, I think a lot of people feel that justifications for a Trump vote at this point are quite irrational. Corrupt conflicts of interest and padding the wallets of billionaires do not seem like ideals that fiscal conservatives cherish, you know?

But what I really can't really wrap my mind around a fiscally conservative Republican can support Trump any more than any left-learning person can. I truly don't get it. And really I don't get how anyone can morally justify supporting Trump no matter where they stand in terms of economic policy. I mean, if someone who was corrupt, sexist, disgusting, perverted, dishonest, crazy, and unable to be coherent half the time ran for a leftist party that I would normally strongly support, and who shamelessly ran on a platform of racism, I would not be able to justify that vote. I simply won't vote for blatantly morally bankrupt people who sexually assault women and draw the admiration of the KKK. I would vote for any party but the one who has a person like that as a leader. I won't place my morals and decency or the reputation of my nation beneath fiscal preferences. A leader who supports unions and universal health care, legalizing pot and advancing alternate energy technologies, but also sexually assaults women, encourages violence at rallies, and thumbs their nose at our allies is not someone I would consider voting for. So....  maybe now you can see why a lot of people think you're "wrong" in voting for Trump? To them it is largely a matter of simple morality, even in the political arena, where morals live on a lower plane of existence already.

I actually think this is a good debate because I can totally understand your philosophy, even if I don't agree with all.  And I also agree in part.  I could pick out some of your comments and give my rebuttal, but it couldn't make an all encompassing supportive argument for Trump.  Going back to my original reply, I am/was an admitted reluctant Trump voter.  I am concerned with things that are happening.  

I'm not overly political.  I don't typically engage in these conversations, but I like the way the original question was posed and thought I might be able to provide a republican voter's outlook to this forum.  I care about the direction of our country, but I spend more time reading college football scouting reports than political blogs and news reports. 

My personal expectations of Trump are not coming to fruition.  Many things are becoming concerning that put into jeopardy the optimism of my republican support. The conflicts of interest and hiring of business "friends" to pad wallets are things I hoped would not happen.  The nepotism is worse than expected - only a fool would think none would have existed.  The tweets are stupid.  But that doesn't change my stance on the issues.  And the policies I hope for are getting slammed to the back burner because of other controversy.  

It could be argued that republican and democrat philosophies have never been so different. At least not in my lifetime.  With that comes greater differences in the the public's view of our politician's and a fiercer debate.  

An articulate Trump voter. You sir are a rare breed. I may disagree with you on pretty much everything but I welcome your thoughts and agree with others here and encourage you to stick around and post more often. Good stuff.
  • Options
    Wobbie said:

Nah,
    When the liberal yelling at the top of the lungs to impeach becomes soprano level even on social media it is just best to let the temper tantrum happen.
  • Options
    dignin said:

An articulate Trump voter. You sir are a rare breed. I may disagree with you on pretty much everything but I welcome your thoughts and agree with others here and encourage you to stick around and post more often. Good stuff.
    An insult with a back-handed compliment.
    Now that is a great President Trump tactic.

• Options
    Wobbie said:

Nah,
    When the liberal yelling at the top of the lungs to impeach becomes soprano level even on social media it is just best to let the temper tantrum happen.
    temper tantrums fade away. your boy does some dumbass amateur stuff every single day. what you describe as a tantrum is actually a wave of political momentum that is going to sweep your boy away, possibly to prison. his presidency is untenable at this point. it is not a matter of if, but when.

• Options
    PJfanwillneverleave1PJfanwillneverleave1 Posts: 12,885
    edited May 2017
    ^^^

The mantra of untenable and just wait and see is getting really old now.
    This time next week there will be another "scandal" being talked about that only President Trump could pull.

• Options
    Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,652
    ^^^

This time next week there will be another "scandal" being talked about that only President Trump could pull.

Good thing there's an independent prosecutor to keep track of it all. We all know how that went for big willy. Methinks trump as a few more skeletons than him. 
  • Options
    ^^^

Good thing there's an independent prosecutor to keep track of it all. We all know how that went for big willy. Methinks trump as a few more skeletons than him. 

Good thing, phew, just in the nick of the forever time you give President Trump to be impeached.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,436
    my2hands said:

It has been confirmed that Russia tampered in the election that is a fact and Orange bafoon benefited from it ! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,177

President Trump has some very good points. http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-lashes-out-at-critics-naysayers-unfair-treatment/ar-BBBfden?li=AAadgLE&ocid=spartanntp

"Look at the way I've been treated lately, especially by the media," Trump said. "No politician in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly. You can't let them get you down. You can't let the critics and the naysayers get in the way of your dreams."

"I guess that's why we won," he said, before continuing to offer the graduates his advice.

"Adversity makes you stronger. Don't give in, don't back down and never stop doing what you know is right," Trump said. "Nothing worth doing ever, ever, ever came easy and the more righteous your fight, the more opposition that you will face."

Oh poor Donald. He's been treated so unfairly. 

What a fucking douchebag. Like he has treated anyone he doesn't like fairly over the years. This guy is unbelievable. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,618
    edited May 2017
    I dont understand how anyone capable of critical thought, "conservative" or whatever label... would imagine that Donald Trump with a bobblehead Republican congress would in any way be better than Hillary Clinton as President.  Im no Clinton fan, but good god, she is experienced, professional, and pretty Centrist.  Also, with the Republican Congress, she wouldnt be able to shape policy more Liberal even if she wanted to.  

But thanks for the Orange Buffoon, his family, and the Brietbart guy running things and continually shaming our country.  Oh, and all those great cabinet appointments
  • Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,802
    Trump should probably learn how to spell 'councel'. 
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
This discussion has been closed.