Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    OnWis97 said:
    Edved82 said:
    As a non-American, I have often wondered what it is about Donald Trump that people are drawn to.

1) He is not good looking or charismatic.
    2) He is a proven liar and fraud.
    3) He's not a good public speaker
    4) He clearly seems intent on destroying US democracy step-by-step.

Why are Republicans so beholden to this man? It really is beyond belief at this stage.
    He hates all the right people. It isn’t about taxes, it isn’t about policy, he hates all the right people. It’s really that simple. 
    So succinct and so true. My gut reaction to that list was also to add "And he's an absolutely miserable human being." I mean, W was terrible in so many ways but his appeal was that silly "wanna have a beer with him" demeanor. Trump appears to have no sense of humor or joy. He's just miserable. His entire persona is anger.

A generation ago, that would have gotten him nowhere. After all, aren't most people drawn to optimism and positivity (not me, but most people)? But the 24/7 fear-mongering and finger pointing have provided a toxic cloud of irrational anger...I don't think they even always know what they're angry about. But they're angry. Trump's misery plays into that well.
    He's a miserable man appealing to miserable people who want to see everyone else as miserable as they are. 

It's one big culture of anger, perceived victimhood and misery. 
    This is true for the extreme MAGA crowd.  It is not true of his 72 million votes in total.  Some get tired of paying for everyone.  And looky there...Biden is making them pay for other people's loans already.  It is not an unfounded dislike of the Dems policies.
    Interesting assessment of the loan forgiveness. You don't like it, but it is something that Biden needed to do for the progressive side of aisle and it has minimal impact on us overall. I call that one a break even. I don't like spending billions on the DOD for who knows what, but we do that every year in the name of national security. Most conservatives aren't going to be happy or like the loan forgiveness, but it's not like a lot of them are lost votes based on that one issue. It was a good move, but not a solution to the overall skyrocketing student loan crisis across this country.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    tbergs said:
    OnWis97 said:
    Edved82 said:
    As a non-American, I have often wondered what it is about Donald Trump that people are drawn to.

Why are Republicans so beholden to this man? It really is beyond belief at this stage.
    He hates all the right people. It isn’t about taxes, it isn’t about policy, he hates all the right people. It’s really that simple. 
    So succinct and so true. My gut reaction to that list was also to add "And he's an absolutely miserable human being." I mean, W was terrible in so many ways but his appeal was that silly "wanna have a beer with him" demeanor. Trump appears to have no sense of humor or joy. He's just miserable. His entire persona is anger.

A generation ago, that would have gotten him nowhere. After all, aren't most people drawn to optimism and positivity (not me, but most people)? But the 24/7 fear-mongering and finger pointing have provided a toxic cloud of irrational anger...I don't think they even always know what they're angry about. But they're angry. Trump's misery plays into that well.
    He's a miserable man appealing to miserable people who want to see everyone else as miserable as they are. 

It's one big culture of anger, perceived victimhood and misery. 
    This is true for the extreme MAGA crowd.  It is not true of his 72 million votes in total.  Some get tired of paying for everyone.  And looky there...Biden is making them pay for other people's loans already.  It is not an unfounded dislike of the Dems policies.
    Interesting assessment of the loan forgiveness. You don't like it, but it is something that Biden needed to do for the progressive side of aisle and it has minimal impact on us overall. I call that one a break even. I don't like spending billions on the DOD for who knows what, but we do that every year in the name of national security. Most conservatives aren't going to be happy or like the loan forgiveness, but it's not like a lot of them are lost votes based on that one issue. It was a good move, but not a solution to the overall skyrocketing student loan crisis across this country.
    Politically, I'd call it a terrible move. It just plays right into the hands of the narrative that the party led by a birthright billionaire that's never mowed a lawn is for the "regular people" while the party currently in the hands or a U-Delaware grad who moved from Scranton to Wilmington when his father was fired is for "the elite." Sure, a lot of the arguments were lazy generations (hard-working truck drivers paying for the bad decisions made by people with philosophy degrees) but they should have seen it coming. 

Merit-wise, I'd call it a bad move, but not nearly as bad some think. A few years ago, we wrote a $30,000 check to pay my wife's loans...if we'd waited would we have had some relief? Don't know; don't care. This is one of countless examples of government actions that help some people over others...Gov Desantis wants to pause toll-road collection. Should people that put themselves in position (through choices) to not rely on long road commutes be upset?  Maybe (for several philosophical reasons, this bugs me more). So while (despite its headline-grab-ability) it's not even close to the worst decision made by this or any other administration, I have two problems with it. First, while I don't necessarily mind the randomness of who it helps, I do think it's an arbitrary time do do a somewhat arbitrary thing. Second (and more importantly) it's putting a band-aid on the gunshot wound that is the cost of education and the difficulty in obtaining it for many. I'd rather see something meant to address the long-term cost. Why give $10,000 to mom or dad, when their child's still going to have to find a way to pay off mid-six-figures?
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797

Judge tosses Trump's Russia probe suit against Clinton, FBI
    By ERIC TUCKER
    23 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — A federal judge in Florida has dismissed Donald Trump's lawsuit against 2016 Democratic rival Hillary Clinton and former top FBI officials, rejecting the former president's claims that they and others acted in concert to concoct the Russia investigation that shadowed much of his administration.

U.S. District Judge Donald Middlebrooks said in a sharply worded ruling on Thursday that Trump's lawsuit, filed in March, contained “glaring structural deficiencies” and that many of the “characterizations of events are implausible.”

He dismissed the idea that Trump had sued to correct an actual legal harm, saying that “instead, he is seeking to flaunt a two-hundred-page political manifesto outlining his grievances against those that have opposed him, and this Court is not the appropriate forum.”

The lawsuit had named as defendants Clinton and some of her top advisers, as well as former FBI Director James Comey and other FBI officials involved in the investigation into whether Trump's 2016 presidential campaign had coordinated with Russia to sway the outcome of the election.

Other defendants include the founders of a political research firm that hired a former British spy to investigate ties between Trump and Russia, and a well-connected Democratic lawyer who was recently acquitted on a charge of lying to the FBI during a 2016 meeting in which he presented the bureau with information he wanted it to investigate.

But none of the claims, the judge wrote, supported Trump's claims of a conspiracy against him.

“What the Amended Complaint lacks in substance and legal support it seeks to substitute with length, hyperbole, and the settling of scores and grievances,” Middlebrooks wrote.

A 2019 Justice Department inspector general report did identify certain flaws by the FBI during the Russia investigation, but did not find evidence that the bureau's leaders were motivated by political bias in opening the probe and said the inquiry was started for a legitimate purpose.

A separate investigation by special counsel Robert Mueller produced criminal charges against nearly three dozen people and entities and found pervasive Russian interference in the election, but did not establish a criminal conspiracy with the Trump campaign.

Alina Habba, a lawyer for Trump, said Friday that Trump would appeal the dismissal.

____

Follow Eric Tucker on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/etuckerAP

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,460
    Edved82 said:

As an American I can tell you I agree with the article excerpts below. Directly below is the link to the long version which is a lot more detailed and explanatory. 

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/09/trump-towering-political-figure-living-memory-claremont-institute-chair-tomas-klingenstein-delivers-historic-remarks-virtues-president-donald-trump-video/

“Trump Is the Most Towering Political Figure in Living Memory” – Claremont Institute Chair Tomas Klingenstein Delivers Historic Remarks on the Virtues of President Donald Trump (VIDEO)

Below are a few Trump reminders that Tom makes in his speech.

• Trump knows the media can’t be negotiated with, or reformed. It must be defeated.
    • Trump smoked out rats from hiding places. We now know our intelligence agencies are corrupt.
    • We watched Trump loosen the grip of political correctness, while Repubs wouldn’t engage.
    • Trump made it clear it’s a privilege to enter our country, foreigners should assimilate to us.
    • Trump wants back that nostalgic America guided by relentless optimism, grit, and determination.
    • Before Trump, politicians hid from the public that China is our mortal enemy. Now we all know.
    • Trump’s virtue, backbone, and fortitude are the new standard to judge candidates.
    • Trump’s supporters, and the spirit they embrace, are the new life force of the Rep Party.
    • Trump was born for this current crisis, the life and death fight against woke communism.
    • The “cold” civil war divide in our country was exposed by Trump, not created by him.
    • In war you need strong men to make a stand. Trump is a manly man, with resolve.
    • When you’re in the right, you fight to win. Sometimes this means doing distasteful things.
    • Leadership strength is in short supply. Trump understands there are no clean hands in a fist fight.
    • Trump wants people to learn how to love our country, not be taught how to hate it.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    TJ25487 said:
    Edved82 said:

As an American I can tell you I agree with the article excerpts below. Directly below is the link to the long version which is a lot more detailed and explanatory. 

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2022/09/trump-towering-political-figure-living-memory-claremont-institute-chair-tomas-klingenstein-delivers-historic-remarks-virtues-president-donald-trump-video/

“Trump Is the Most Towering Political Figure in Living Memory” – Claremont Institute Chair Tomas Klingenstein Delivers Historic Remarks on the Virtues of President Donald Trump (VIDEO)

• Trump knows the media can’t be negotiated with, or reformed. It must be defeated.
    • Trump smoked out rats from hiding places. We now know our intelligence agencies are corrupt.
    • We watched Trump loosen the grip of political correctness, while Repubs wouldn’t engage.
    • Trump made it clear it’s a privilege to enter our country, foreigners should assimilate to us.
    • Trump wants back that nostalgic America guided by relentless optimism, grit, and determination.
    • Before Trump, politicians hid from the public that China is our mortal enemy. Now we all know.
    • Trump’s virtue, backbone, and fortitude are the new standard to judge candidates.
    • Trump’s supporters, and the spirit they embrace, are the new life force of the Rep Party.
    • Trump was born for this current crisis, the life and death fight against woke communism.
    • The “cold” civil war divide in our country was exposed by Trump, not created by him.
    • In war you need strong men to make a stand. Trump is a manly man, with resolve.
    • When you’re in the right, you fight to win. Sometimes this means doing distasteful things.
    • Leadership strength is in short supply. Trump understands there are no clean hands in a fist fight.
    • Trump wants people to learn how to love our country, not be taught how to hate it.
    Cultism is so friggin weird.  My God, have you no critical thinking skills?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    TJ25487 said:
    Edved82 said:

Huh, it must be pay day because you just blew your whole wad at the bait store. Looks like you haven't gotten any bites yet. Might still be time to return it and get your money back.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    “Our intelligence agencies are corrupt.” Still draining the swamp? Gateway Pundit? When’s the next rally.

#Birdsarentreal
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    mrussel1 said:
    TJ25487 said:
    Edved82 said:

Cultism is so friggin weird.  My God, have you no critical thinking skills?
    This is where I think a lack of proper education (i.e. basic abilities to think critically) has hamstrung democracy at large. When your voting base buys into this kind of easily disprovable rhetoric - you have a serious problem. 
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    T the cultist 😂😂😂😂 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:
    Edved82 said:

What has he won go ahead list all the winning! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

This was my favorite. In war, men like trump find a way to not fight. Being a loud mouth doesn’t make you tough.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,116
    mrussel1 said:
    Edved82 said:

A lot of Americans LOVE owning cash businesses. Over half of small businesses do not accept credit cards. Most towns here are filled with scores of cash businesses everywhere.

in the first Hilary/trump debate, she tried an old school gotcha comment when she said “ trump didn’t pay any federal income tax” Trump quickly retorted: “That makes me smart.”

He won millions of loyal followers at that singular moment, if not tens of millions. Many other reasons exist,  but the America I knew in 2016 and before changed at that moment. Almost like a brain of j moment.
    Tens of millions based on that comment? That's seems a little hyperbolic. I don't know anyone that ever mentioned that comment in any political discussion I've had. 

I’d estimate it’s certainly more than a few million. I’m not sure how many right wing small business owners/workers brag about cheating on their taxes with you openly? 

It’s more than just the folks who benefit from owning a small cash business or have some or all of their pay off the books. It’s the first time I can recall a presidential nominee spoke openly about disregarding norms and proudly not paying a fair share of taxes. And I recall his polling increased after that debate. With small businesses, trump was more popular than even Reagan perhaps:

….

U.S. small business optimism surged to a record in August as the tax cuts and deregulation efforts of President Donald Trump and the Republican-led Congress led to more sales, hiring and investment, according to a survey by the National Federation of Independent Business.

The NFIB Small Business Optimism Index jumped to 108.8 last month, the highest level ever recorded in the survey’s 45-year history and above the previous record of 108 in 1983, set during the second year of Ronald Reagan’s presidency. The August figure was up from a 107.9 reading in July.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/11/small-business-optimism-surges-to-highest-ever.html

• Options
    hey fuckstick, pretty sure some folks told you how its to be done.

Not Mar-a-Lago: Congress' secrets in sealed rooms, lock bags
    LISA MASCARO
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — Security-sealed rooms. Lock bags. And in the most rare of circumstances, the ability to handcuff a document pouch to a messenger to transport the nation’s secrets.

These are some of the ways Capitol Hill keeps classified documents secured, an elaborate system of government protocols and high-level security clearances that stands in stark contrast to the storage room stash of secrets at Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida.

As the Justice Department’s probe into the Republican former president’s possession of White House materials deepens, lawmakers of both parties have more questions than answers. Intelligence officials have offered to brief congressional leaders, possibly as soon as next week, senators said, as they launch a lengthy risk assessment. Congress had asked for the briefing soon after the revelation of the unprecedented Aug. 8 search, but it may be delayed by the legal fight between Trump and the government.

“We need to be able to do appropriate oversight for the Intelligence Committee so that we have a better handle on how this particular incident was handled, but so that we avoid problems like this in the future," said Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas.

A culture of secrecy may not necessarily be expected from Capitol Hill, where 535 elected members of Congress, alongside thousands of aides and countless more visitors broker information on a daily basis as a routine part of governing.

Secrets large and small — from the most mundane details about when an upcoming vote will be scheduled to the parlor intrigue of transitional alliances — are among the more valued bits of currency that pass through the place.

But when it comes to classified materials, the stream of information tends to clamp shut.

Lawmakers who serve on the House and Senate Intelligence committees are traditionally among the most publicly tight-lipped about their work, and staff for those panels must obtain security clearances to handle the documents and perform their jobs. Others serving on committees dealing with military affairs and certain national security funds face similar restrictions.

When members of Congress want to peruse classified materials, they descend deep into the basement of the Capitol to a sensitive compartmented information facility, known as a SCIF. Other SCIFs are scattered throughout the Capitol complex.

If documents need to be ferried in or out of secure locations, they are typically transported in a lock bag, a briefcase-sized pouch under lock and key.

Sen. Bob Casey, D-Penn., a member of the Intelligence Committee, said staff will often use a lock bag even simply to transport materials from committee offices to a SCIF some 30 feet (9 meters) away.

“The idea that anyone would leave any building or any room with those documents not secure — it’s just, the word is, unfathomable,” Casey said in an interview.

In rare instances, a document pouch can be handcuffed to a person's wrist for travel, though several senators and staff said they have never seen that happen.

“I've only seen that in movies,” said Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida, the top-ranking Republican on the Intelligence Committee.

Trump’s alleged mishandling of the documents has stunned lawmakers of both parties, even those Republicans critical of the Justice Department’s unusual search of a former president. Court filings from the federal government say hundreds of classified records have been retrieved from Trump's private Mar-a-Lago club in Palm Beach, Florida.

Sen. Martin Heinrich, D-N.M., all but warned of Trump's handling of sensitive documents early in the then-president’s term. A photo from a White House press briefing in 2017 showed Trump and others in the Oval Office with a lock bag visible on the desk, the key still inside.

“Never leave a key in a classified lock bag in the presence of non-cleared people. #Classified101,” tweeted Heinrich, a member of the Intelligence Committee, days after the February 2017 incident. He asked for a review.

In an interview this past week, Heinrich said, “It is outrageous to think — the cavalier nature with which the former president treats information, that can have life or death consequences for our sources, is unfathomable."

Trump amassed more than a dozen boxes of papers and other mementos from the White House, many held in a storage room at Mar-a-Lago. The FBI's search came after a protracted battle over missing documents launched soon after Trump left the White House in 2021.

Trump attorneys had insisted early in the summer after the first delivery of returned documents that there was nothing left at the former president's club. Upon inspection, the FBI asked the storage room to be put under lock and key. Ultimately a search warrant for Mar-a-Lago was obtained and more than 100 other documents with classified markings were found. Now, the Justice Department is investigating the Trump team's handling of the documents and possible obstruction.

Cornyn expressed skepticism the stashed documents held critical information.

“It’s hard for me to believe it was particularly sensitive — it’s been sitting at Mar-a-Lago for a year and a half before they do anything about it,” he said.

Still, when it comes to handling classified documents, Cornyn noted: “There are ways to secure it, but it’s not — under no circumstance, should it be in your home.”

Retribution for breaking secrets on Capitol Hill can be swift and severe. In the 1980s, Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., announced he would leave the Intelligence Committee after acknowledging that he had allowed a reporter to review a not classified but still “committee confidential” draft report on the Contra wars in Latin America. More recently, a former senior staff member of the Senate panel was charged with lying to investigators about his interactions with journalists.

Immediately after the Mar-a-Lago search, Sen. Mark Warner, the Democratic chairman of the intelligence committee, and Rubio jointly asked the director of national intelligence for an assessment of the damage to national security that would result from disclosure of the documents.

“My issue is not whether the documents belong there or not, because ultimately they shouldn’t have been stored there and they could have been removed," Rubio said in an interview. “The question is: Was there good faith efforts made by the federal government to retrieve those documents without resorting to a raid of a former president’s home?”

The intelligence office was expected to provide a bipartisan briefing for the so-called gang of eight — the top four leaders of the House and the Senate, along with the House and Senate intelligence committee leaders.

But it is uncertain now, due to Trump's litigation, whether the Office of the Director of National Intelligence will be able to continue the assessment or provide the briefing to lawmakers.

Warner said he was asking for at least an interim risk assessment.

Senators expect the gang of eight briefing could happen next week, when the House and Senate are both back in session — but only in a secure location.

___

Associated Press writer Nomaan Merchant contributed to this report.

___

Follow AP's coverage of Donald Trump-related investigations at https://apnews.com/hub/donald-trump.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,629
    Edved82 said:

It's the emotional response to him, which he harnessed and why his "platform" was all grievance based and bigotry. Just the fact of how they fixate on laughing at the triggered libs is just one example of the evidence of this.
  • Options
    TJ25487 said:
    Edved82 said:

All of this is bullshit.  Utter fucking bullshit with zero explanation for any of it's rationale beside "everybody knows it".

Here's a few Trump reminders that I'm gonna just throw out there.

• He tried to OVERTHROW the fucking government when he lost the election. 
    • He stole a bunch of classified documents that he kept in storage with the tablecloths and fucking extra silverware.
    • He lied RIGHT to our FACES, about shit that would have been WAY easier to tell the truth about, every goddamned day he was in office.
    • The Saudis.
  • Options

• Options
    AND

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    trump is a manly man. OMFG that made me laugh.
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    ikiT said:
    AND

Right, this was being moved from FL to his club in NJ where he is right now.  Raid that joint. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    AND

Right, this was being moved from FL to his club in NJ where he is right now.  Raid that joint. 

I thought we don't do raids, just authorized warranted searches?.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    AND

been there, done that. months of obfuscation and outright lies.

43 empty folders.....

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited September 2022
    The devil’s advocate act was tired 3 years ago. 

At this point, with everything we know, it just completely defies logic. 
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    AND

Raid is slang.  A raid isn't illegal by definition.  Were you being serious here?
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Manly man...broad shouldered....big dick energy....unfuckingbelievable

I don't have a link to post but I have to think that tRump himself is responsible for the BDE "big dick energy" slang that is being thrown around a lot now. Really weird shit.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options

I don't have a link to post but I have to think that tRump himself is responsible for the BDE "big dick energy" slang that is being thrown around a lot now. Really weird shit.
    That gov candidate from AZ said that.  It's obnoxious, but that's sort of the point these days, isn't it?  

Americans can be so embarrassing.  
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824

I recall seeing a tweet about “our alpha male president” when he was in office.  They say this because they realize he’s not.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    AND

Raid is slang.  A raid isn't illegal by definition.  Were you being serious here?
    I have never been serious here.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    static111 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    AND

I have never been serious here.

quoting for posterity

• Options

Trump team takes aim at records probe; calls it 'misguided'
    By ERIC TUCKER
    5 mins ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former President Donald Trump’s lawyers on Monday dismissed as a “storage dispute” Trump’s retention of top-secret documents at his Florida home, urging a judge to keep in place a directive that temporarily halted key aspects of the Justice Department’s criminal probe.

The Trump team also referred to the documents that were seized as “purported ‘classified records,’” suggesting his lawyers do not concede the Justice Department’s contention that highly sensitive, top-secret information was found by the FBI in its Aug. 8 search of Mar-a-Lago.

The lawyers asserted there is no evidence any of the records were ever disclosed to anyone and said at least some of the records belong to Trump and not to the Justice Department.

“This investigation of the 45th President of the United States is both unprecedented and misguided,” they wrote. “In what at its core is a document storage dispute that has spiraled out of control, the Government wrongfully seeks to criminalize the possession by the 45th President of his own Presidential and personal records.”

The 21-page filing underscores the significant factual and legal disagreements between lawyers for Trump and the U.S. government as the Justice Department looks to move forward with its criminal investigation into the illegal retention of national defense information at Mar-a-Lago and into the potential obstruction of that probe.

The investigation hit a roadblock last week when U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon granted the Trump team's request for the appointment of an independent arbiter, also known as a special master, to review the seized records and prohibited for now the department from examining the documents for investigative purposes.

The Justice Department has asked the judge to lift that hold and said it would contest her ruling to a federal appeals court. The department said its investigation risked being harmed beyond repair if that order remained in place, noting that confusion about its scope and meaning had already led the intelligence community to pause a separate risk assessment it was doing.

But Trump's lawyers said in their own motion Monday that Cannon should not permit the FBI to resume its review of classified records.

“In opposing any neutral review of the seized materials, the Government seeks to block a reasonable first step towards restoring order from chaos and increasing public confidence in the integrity of the process," the lawyers wrote.

In the meantime, both sides on Friday night each proposed different names of candidates who could serve in the role of a special master, though they disagreed on the exact scope of duties the person should have. Cannon has said the yet-to-be-named arbiter would be tasked with reviewing the documents and weeding out from the investigation any that could be covered by claims of either executive privilege or attorney-client privilege.

The Justice Department recommended either Barbara Jones, a retired judge in Manhattan who has served as special master in prior high-profile investigations, or Thomas Griffith, a retired federal appeals court jurist in the District of Columbia who was appointed to the bench by former President George W. Bush. The department said in its proposal that the special master should not have access to classified documents, or be empowered to consider claims of executive privilege,

The Trump team proposed either Raymond Dearie, a retired judge in the federal court based in Brooklyn, or prominent Florida lawyer Paul Huck, Jr. The lawyers said the arbiter should have access to the entire tranche of documents and should be able to evaluate executive privilege claims.

In its filing Monday, the Trump team again voiced a broad view of presidential power, asserting that a president has an “unfettered right of access" to his presidential records and absolute authority to declassify any information without the “approval of bureaucratic components of the executive branch" — though it did not say, as Trump has maintained, that he had actually declassified them.

The Justice Department has said Trump, as former commander-in-chief, had no right to hold onto the presidential documents. And the criminal statutes that the department has used as the basis of its investigation, including one criminalizing the willful retention of national defense information, do not actually require that the records be classified.

In any event, the Justice Department says more than 100 documents with classification markings were found in last month's search. It has made public a photograph that agents took inside Mar-a-Lago depicting folders of records marked as classified.

The order from Cannon, who was appointed to the federal bench by Trump two years ago, was easily the most consequential of her brief judicial career and has elevated her public profile.

Earlier this month, a Houston woman was arrested on allegations she made threats against Cannon as the judge mulled the special master question. Tiffani Shea Gish left a series of threatening, profanity-laced voicemails for Cannon, according to an FBI affidavit filed in federal court in Texas.

Last week, a judge ordered that Gish be held in jail pending trial. A motions hearing for Gish was scheduled for Tuesday. A federal public defender listed for her did not immediately return a message seeking comment on Monday.

Trump, who often spends time at his various properties, was at his Virginia golf club Monday.

____

Associated Press writer Meg Kinnard in Columbia, South Carolina, contributed to this report.

Follow Eric Tucker at http://www.twitter.com/etuckerAP

Follow AP’s coverage of Donald Trump-related investigations at https://apnews.com/hub/donald-trump

This discussion has been closed.