Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,788
    static111 said:
    cutz said:
    Not sure this is protesting, but is this legal? 

Laws don’t apply to trump supporters

Trump Supporters Disrupt Early Voting in Virginia https://nyti.ms/3kyagxb

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    If they seat a justice, the court has to be expanded.  No way around that.  But taking the Senate is the uphill part of this. 
    mace1229 said:
    Can’t be that easy to just expand the bench can it? Otherwise any president who didn’t have a majority of justices would have done it.

good question. All it takes is a new law from congress. But the Dems need to unseat 4 senate republicans because they are likely to lose one of theirs, and Biden must win.

Then the senate Dems pass a new rule with the majority allowing any Supreme Court vote to come to the floor. This is exactly what McConnell did for the confirmation votes. Before McConnell they needed 60 votes, now it’s 51.

Then the Dems could pass a law allowing for more SCJs. The limit is not set in the constitution.

still need 60 in the senate to pass legislation....
    That's why eliminating the filibuster is the first step.  You only need a simple majority to do that

Don’t need to eliminate filibuster, only need to expand the McConnell rule exemption (confirmation at 51 votes instead of 60) to all matters concerning the high court. (“For all matters concerning the USSC the Senate may  invoke cloture with a simple majority”). Which the Dems can easily do if they win the majority. Filibuster and number of SCJs are not restricted by the constitution.

Republicans are also talking about using the VP to break ties which is unprecedented so they always push the envelop. So forget about getting 4 republicans to vote against the next nominee. This is happening, a 6-3 conservative court. The senate confirmation process is supposed to be a check on executive branch power and here goes trump sending over pence to be the deciding vote on a lifetime appointment. If they are willing to change centuries old precedent yet again, its  time to show the Rs that the Ds are willing to operate in the same manner, perhaps this will broker a negotiation to pass a constitutional amendment for term limits, because quite frankly the current partisan situation in unsustainable.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    If they seat a justice, the court has to be expanded.  No way around that.  But taking the Senate is the uphill part of this. 
    mace1229 said:
    Can’t be that easy to just expand the bench can it? Otherwise any president who didn’t have a majority of justices would have done it.

good question. All it takes is a new law from congress. But the Dems need to unseat 4 senate republicans because they are likely to lose one of theirs, and Biden must win.

Then the senate Dems pass a new rule with the majority allowing any Supreme Court vote to come to the floor. This is exactly what McConnell did for the confirmation votes. Before McConnell they needed 60 votes, now it’s 51.

Then the Dems could pass a law allowing for more SCJs. The limit is not set in the constitution.

still need 60 in the senate to pass legislation....
    That's why eliminating the filibuster is the first step.  You only need a simple majority to do that

Don’t need to eliminate filibuster, only need to expand the McConnell rule exemption (confirmation at 51 votes instead of 60) to all matters concerning the high court. (“For all matters concerning the USSC the Senate may  invoke cloture with a simple majority”). Which the Dems can easily do if they win the majority. Filibuster and number of SCJs are not restricted by the constitution.

Republicans are also talking about using the VP to break ties which is unprecedented so they always push the envelop. So forget about getting 4 republicans to vote against the next nominee. This is happening, a 6-3 conservative court. The senate confirmation process is supposed to be a check on executive branch power and here goes trump sending over pence to be the deciding vote on a lifetime appointment. If they are willing to change centuries old precedent yet again, its  time to show the Rs that the Ds are willing to operate in the same manner, perhaps this will broker a negotiation to pass a constitutional amendment for term limits, because quite frankly the current partisan situation in unsustainable.
    I’m not sure that’s right.  Wouldn’t this be a new federal law that goes through both chambers and to the POTUS.  I thought all laws besides budget reconciliation are subject to filibuster.

Regarding the VP vote, I would think the parliamentarian would make the rule on that, no?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    a canadian (or someone in canada at the time) tried to murder the president:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/politics/poison-ricin-addressed-trump-arrest/index.html
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,009
    a canadian (or someone in canada at the time) tried to murder the president:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/20/politics/poison-ricin-addressed-trump-arrest/index.html
    Ricin? Must have been Walter White.
  • Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    Discussing Gorsuch...

Trump tells Republicans to use 'nuclear option' to confirm supreme court pick

On Wednesday, Trump explicitly backed Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell if he decides to use this “nuclear option” maneuver. “Yes, if we end up with the same gridlock we’ve had in Washington for longer than eight years, in all fairness to President Obama, a lot longer than eight years,” he said in the White House.

“If we end up with that gridlock, I would say, ‘If you can, Mitch, go nuclear.’ Because that would would be an absolute shame if a man of this quality was put up to that neglect. I would say it’s up to Mitch, but I would say, ‘Go for it.’”

POS

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/01/neil-gorsuch-donald-trump-congress-nuclear-option
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

On Wednesday, Trump explicitly backed Republican Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell if he decides to use this “nuclear option” maneuver. “Yes, if we end up with the same gridlock we’ve had in Washington for longer than eight years, in all fairness to President Obama, a lot longer than eight years,” he said in the White House.

“If we end up with that gridlock, I would say, ‘If you can, Mitch, go nuclear.’ Because that would would be an absolute shame if a man of this quality was put up to that neglect. I would say it’s up to Mitch, but I would say, ‘Go for it.’”

POS

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/feb/01/neil-gorsuch-donald-trump-congress-nuclear-option
    This is about Gorsuch..three years ago.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

OP mentioned that at the top.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Ok.  Confused on relevance.  POSness isn't new information,  but all good. 
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

I may not align well with Gorsuch, but I at least thought he was a normal conservative judge pick that 20 years earlier probably would have skated through the process, but after the Garland debacle, Dems were pissed. Kavanaugh was a complete partisan hack. No matter what his legal expertise, he showed his true colors. He should not be a justice. So the stage is set to go even further right with this justice.

The universe sure is one fucked up place. Who would have thought one of the worst presidents would end up getting the chance to pick 1/3 of the court in less than 4 years. I sure hope there are some changes made to the process that limits a president's ability to stack the court. The pendulum must be about ready to swing back any day now and you know conservatives will not like it, but they've really come at this as a team approach the last 10 years. The fact that people are so stuck on one party is so odd to me.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Ok.  Confused on relevance.  POSness isn't new information,  but all good. 
    Yes, I was also a little confused.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,968
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

I may not align well with Gorsuch, but I at least thought he was a normal conservative judge pick that 20 years earlier probably would have skated through the process, but after the Garland debacle, Dems were pissed. Kavanaugh was a complete partisan hack. No matter what his legal expertise, he showed his true colors. He should not be a justice. So the stage is set to go even further right with this justice.

The universe sure is one fucked up place. Who would have thought one of the worst presidents would end up getting the chance to pick 1/3 of the court in less than 4 years. I sure hope there are some changes made to the process that limits a president's ability to stack the court. The pendulum must be about ready to swing back any day now and you know conservatives will not like it, but they've really come at this as a team approach the last 10 years. The fact that people are so stuck on one party is so odd to me.
    Actually won't 5 justices be appointed by presidents that did not win the majority vote?  Assuming 3 tRump and 2 Bush
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Actually won't 5 justices be appointed by presidents that did not win the majority vote?  Assuming 3 tRump and 2 Bush
    Weird since the majority vote doesn't matter in a presidential election to even bring it up.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,968
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Weird since the majority vote doesn't matter in a presidential election to even bring it up.
    Trump has exposed how fucked up our system is.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

The Founders were afraid of the tyranny of the majority.  Look at what was happening in France at that moment in history. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Is the system fucked up or just abused to death?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

The latter in my opinion. I see the genius in the balance of the system.  But it's out of equilibrium. 
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    edited September 2020
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

I just feel extremely disenfranchised, and I am sure much of the country feels the same way.

>50% of the country voted for Hillary and generally leans democrat... or "left" as we know it.  The numbers get even greater for other progressive ideals such as healthcare, legalization of marijuana, higher minimum wage, affordable higher education, etc...  Many of these things would be even more popular if they werent incorrectly labeled as "socialism" (where 'socialism' is re-branded as actual communism).

But the electoral college skews the votes to rural areas of the country.  Seemingly the most powerful institution in this country, the Senate, gives way too much power to small states (in terms of population).  As a result, now they have packed all the Federal courts and well on their way to pack the Supreme Court.  They are trying to wipe Democrats, and anything other than Donald Trump off the map (who represent a majority of the country).

Now if my 'side' wins, I still recognize there are roughly 45% of the country who feels a certain way, they have representation at the table, and compromises need to be made.  We need to stop this 100% one way or 100% the other way that started with Newt Gingrich and has been perfected under McConnell.  

I also think there needs to be some modernization updates put into our constitution and processes.  just shooting from the hip, I like the idea of ranked voting, changing or abolishing the electoral college, some sort of term on the supreme court (and probably change how they get nominated and confirmed), term limits on congress, IMMENSE campaign reform, etc...  
    Post edited by MayDay10 on
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

The Founders were afraid of the tyranny of the majority.  Look at what was happening in France at that moment in history. 
    They were.  And if we'd had pure majority rule, slavery would have ended much later, integration may have occurred later, etc.

It's crazy, though, what it's turned into. It looks like we're now entering a tyranny of the minority.

1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

The latter in my opinion. I see the genius in the balance of the system.  But it's out of equilibrium. 

Agreed!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

the founders did not account for the tyranny of the minority. how can a party that has lost popular votes in the last several elections and only holds the white house and the senate continually screw over the majority who voted against them?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

the founders did not account for the tyranny of the minority. how can a party that has lost popular votes in the last several elections and only holds the white house and the senate continually screw over the majority who voted against them?
    Exactly right. It is time to address the tyranny of the minority. The founders fucked that one up. They weren't infallible, after all, and naturally couldn't see every consequence of their framework.
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • Options
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Exactly right. It is time to address the tyranny of the minority. The founders fucked that one up. They weren't infallible, after all, and naturally couldn't see every consequence of their framework.

Time to clean up those mistakes.  And hopefully do do with vigor, strength, and commitment. 

• Options
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Time to clean up those mistakes.  And hopefully do do with vigor, strength, and commitment. 
    Easy to say,  yet I haven't heard any great ideas that don't have effects that can be s bad or worse than today.  At least none that have a chance to actually happen under this Constitution. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

Easy to say,  yet I haven't heard any great ideas that don't have effects that can be s bad or worse than today.  At least none that have a chance to actually happen under this Constitution. 

That's why I'm a bookseller and not a politician.  :lol:

Seriously though, I've heard a number of people here (and elsewhere) talk about how the Republicans play tough and the Democrats are too soft or even cave in.   Seems to me the Democratic party playing more hardball might be a good idea.

But what do I, an old and lowly bookseller know?  I just wish the left would stand up strong to the right and stop getting so run down.  It's depressing as hell to watch them keep winning. (Like really fucking depressing!)

• Options
    ikiTikiT USA Posts: 11,007
    the nuclear option has been used on both of Pito's picks.

I think this forcing this pick dooms Trump and the complicit R senate.  Fuckers.
    Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

The system was initially setup so that wealthy male property owners had more representation.  I’m not positive that the founders wouldn’t like a bunch of rich republicans running the show.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    static111 said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

The system was initially setup so that wealthy male property owners had more representation.  I’m not positive that the founders wouldn’t like a bunch of rich republicans running the show.
    Yeah, sure, the founders would want a bunch of rich republicans who look the other way when the president acts more like a king than a president to be running the show. Suuuuuuuure they would. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    jeffbr said:
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    ikiT said:
    Discussing Gorsuch...

POS

If Biden wins and dems take the 4 R seats they are leading in the polls there are many things that can be done to get better odds in the senate and Judiciary.

End the filibuster for all judiciary matters.  Start adding SCJs. There is no constitutional provision prohibiting it. 9 Justices is from law and laws are passed all the time.

End the filibuster for statehood. Immediately admit PR and DC. Create North and South California. This will add 6 likely democratic senators and give democrats a better long term chance at holding the senate. This could eventually swing the senate and statehood enough to think about amending the constitution. 

All of the above is perfectly constitutional. But dems are too worried about "established norms " instead of doing anything possible to represent its constituents. 
This discussion has been closed.