Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,938
    am off on that 11 weeks. New congress(both chambers) is seated Jan 3 2021, still 8 weeks to wreak havoc.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,699
    mickeyrat said:
    am off on that 11 weeks. New congress(both chambers) is seated Jan 3 2021, still 8 weeks to wreak havoc.....
    I wonder of the democrats can refuse to attend,  denying a sufficient quorum.  The actual session is even less time so there would have to be a special session. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    I wonder of the democrats can refuse to attend,  denying a sufficient quorum.  The actual session is even less time so there would have to be a special session. 

from Wikipedia

The Standing Rules of the Senate are the parliamentary procedures adopted by the United States Senate that govern its procedure. The Senate's power to establish rules derives from Article One, Section 5 of the United States Constitution: "Each House may determine the rules of its proceedings..."

There are currently forty-four rules, with the latest revision having been adopted on January 24, 2013.[1] (The Legislative Transparency and Accountability Act of 2006 lobbying reform bill introduced a 44th rule on earmarks). The stricter rules are often waived by unanimous consent.

The Constitution provides that a majority of the Senate constitutes a quorum to do business. Under the rules and customs of the Senate, a quorum is always assumed to be present unless a quorum call explicitly demonstrates otherwise. Any senator may request a quorum call by "suggesting the absence of a quorum"; a clerk then calls the roll of the Senate and notes which members are present. In practice, senators almost always request quorum calls not to establish the presence of a quorum, but to temporarily delay proceedings without having to adjourn the session. Such a delay may serve one of many purposes; often, it allows Senate leaders to negotiate compromises off the floor or to allow senators time to come to the Senate floor to make speeches without having to constantly be present in the chamber while waiting for the opportunity. Once the need for a delay has ended, any senator may request unanimous consent to rescind the quorum call.

During debates, senators may speak only if called upon by the presiding officer. The presiding officer is, however, required to recognize the first senator who rises to speak. Thus, the presiding officer has little control over the course of debate. Customarily, the majority leader and minority leader are accorded priority during debates, even if another senator rises first. All speeches must be addressed to the presiding officer, using the words "Mr. President" or "Madam President." Only the presiding officer may be directly addressed in speeches; other members must be referred to in the third person. In most cases, senators refer to each other not by name, but by state, using forms such as "the senior senator from Virginia" or "the junior senator from California."

There are very few restrictions on the content of speeches; there is no requirement that speeches be germane to the matter before the Senate.

The Standing Rules of the United States Senate provide that no senator may make more than two speeches on a motion or bill on the same legislative day. (A legislative day begins when the Senate convenes and ends when it adjourns; hence, it does not necessarily coincide with the calendar day.) The length of these speeches is not limited by the rules; thus, in most cases, senators may speak for as long as they please. Often, the Senate adopts unanimous consent agreements imposing time limits. In other cases (for example, for the budget process), limits are imposed by statute. In general, however, the right to unlimited debate is preserved.

The filibuster is an obstructionary tactic used to defeat bills and motions by prolonging debate indefinitely. A filibuster may entail, but does not actually require, long speeches, dilatory motions, and an extensive series of proposed amendments. The longest filibuster speech in the history of the Senate was delivered by Strom Thurmond, who spoke for over twenty-four hours in an unsuccessful attempt to block the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1957. The Senate may end a filibuster by invoking cloture. In most cases, cloture requires the support of three-fifths of the Senate; however, if the matter before the Senate involves changing the rules of the body, a two-thirds majority is required. Cloture is invoked very rarely, particularly because bipartisan support is usually necessary to obtain the required supermajority. If the Senate does invoke cloture, debate does not end immediately; instead, further debate is limited to thirty additional hours unless increased by another three-fifths vote.

When debate concludes, the motion in question is put to a vote. In many cases, the Senate votes by voice vote; the presiding officer puts the question, and Members respond either "Aye!" (in favor of the motion) or "No!" (against the motion). The presiding officer then announces the result of the voice vote. Any senator, however, may challenge the presiding officer's assessment and request a recorded vote. The request may be granted only if it is seconded by one-fifth of the senators present. In practice, however, senators second requests for recorded votes as a matter of courtesy. When a recorded vote is held, the clerk calls the roll of the Senate in alphabetical order; each senator responds when their name is called. Senators who miss the roll call may still cast a vote as long as the recorded vote remains open. The vote is closed at the discretion of the presiding officer but must remain open for a minimum of fifteen minutes. If the vote is tied, the Vice President, if present, is entitled to a casting vote. If the Vice President is not present, however, the motion is resolved in the negative.

On occasion, the Senate may go into what is called a secret or closed session. During a closed session, the chamber doors are closed and the galleries are completely cleared of anyone not sworn to secrecy, not instructed in the rules of the closed session, or not essential to the session. Closed sessions are quite rare and are usually held only under certain circumstances in which the Senate is discussing sensitive subject matter, such as information critical to national security, private communications from the president, or discussions of Senate deliberations during impeachment trials. Any Senator has the right to call a closed session as long as the motion is seconded.

Budget bills are governed under a special rule process called "Reconciliation" that disallows filibusters. Reconciliation was devised in 1974 but came into use in the early 1980s.

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,831
    mrussel1 said:
    So this is kind of interesting.  McConnell wants someone immediately.  I still believe that..Trump being Trump will have the instinct to not bring up a candidate.  He doesn't care about abortion, or gay rights really... He cares about his election way more than policies.  Trump has no leverage on the senate I don't think (except for whatever he has on Graham).  But you know McConnell fears losing the majority and certainly he think they'll lose the executive office so they will want a hearing now.  
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  
    Trump may want someone immediately, too.  That helps with the goal of overturning a potential Biden win.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    I guess this is what Covidiot meant about winning GOP & him are way ahead of the Democrats on every issue! Democrats should of played hard ball from day1 playing nice gets them nothing, they should of subpoenaed every damn person during impeachment! Here we are holding a bag of air.
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    cutzcutz Posts: 11,477
    mrussel1 said:
    So this is kind of interesting.  McConnell wants someone immediately.  I still believe that..Trump being Trump will have the instinct to not bring up a candidate.  He doesn't care about abortion, or gay rights really... He cares about his election way more than policies.  Trump has no leverage on the senate I don't think (except for whatever he has on Graham).  But you know McConnell fears losing the majority and certainly he think they'll lose the executive office so they will want a hearing now.  
    Not according to this guy:

• Options
    Trump has a short list of women

• Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    cutz said:
    mrussel1 said:

Graham is all in.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/19/politics/lindsey-graham-ginsburg-supreme-court-seat/index.html
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mickeyrat said:
    Trump has a short list of women
    Of women he hasn't sexually assaulted?
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    any chance mitch loses on nov 3?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    any chance mitch loses on nov 3?
    10%
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    If they seat a justice, the court has to be expanded.  No way around that.  But taking the Senate is the uphill part of this. 
  • Options
    There's no one on the judiciary committee that will stop it.  I was hoping Murkowski was, but she isn't. 
  • Options
    The GOP will ram it through, this is what they've been planning for for decades, no way to give up without a fight (which Democrats are likely ill-prepared for, as usual).  What do you think the chances are of expanding the court, though, even if Democrats take the Senate and White House? 
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    So far Murkowski and Collins say they won’t support. Mitt will go along to give Trump a “fuck you”. That leaves one more to sink the ship. 

I full expect Collins to flip/flop.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    cutz said:
    mrussel1 said:

Graham is all in.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/19/politics/lindsey-graham-ginsburg-supreme-court-seat/index.html
    Of course the hypocrite is.

Just like he HATED Trump too, before he was elected.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    Can’t be that easy to just expand the bench can it? Otherwise any president who didn’t have a majority of justices would have done it.
  • Options
    Not sure this is protesting, but is this legal? 

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    cutz said:

Laws don’t apply to trump supporters
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    you see that at every polling place.  here in ohio the rules are you must be at least 100 feet from the front door. This is seen as legitimate campaigning. it  would be candidate specific or party slate specific. handing out voting guides etc.....

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    edited September 2020
    static111 said:
    cutz said:

Laws don’t apply to trump supporters
    Nope
    If the rule of law doesn't apply to herr drumpf why should it apply to his followers?
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    mrussel1 said:
    If they seat a justice, the court has to be expanded.  No way around that.  But taking the Senate is the uphill part of this. 
    mace1229 said:
    Can’t be that easy to just expand the bench can it? Otherwise any president who didn’t have a majority of justices would have done it.

good question. All it takes is a new law from congress. But the Dems need to unseat 4 senate republicans because they are likely to lose one of theirs, and Biden must win.

Then the senate Dems pass a new rule with the majority allowing any Supreme Court vote to come to the floor. This is exactly what McConnell did for the confirmation votes. Before McConnell they needed 60 votes, now it’s 51.

Then the Dems could pass a law allowing for more SCJs. The limit is not set in the constitution.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

good question. All it takes is a new law from congress. But the Dems need to unseat 4 senate republicans because they are likely to lose one of theirs, and Biden must win.

Then the senate Dems pass a new rule with the majority allowing any Supreme Court vote to come to the floor. This is exactly what McConnell did for the confirmation votes. Before McConnell they needed 60 votes, now it’s 51.

Then the Dems could pass a law allowing for more SCJs. The limit is not set in the constitution.
    Have to eliminate the filibuster first, to allow the law expanding the SCOTUS to pass.  
  • Options
    jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,406
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Actually, you can thank Harry Reid and the Democrats for enacting the “nuclear option” and changing the requirement of 60 votes to 51 for appointing judges. Not sticking up for McConnell and the ghouls, but’s facts are facts.
    Post edited by jerparker20 on
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

still need 60 in the senate to pass legislation....

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

Actually, you can thank Harry Reid and the Democrats for enacting the “nuclear option” and changing the requirement of 60 votes to 51 for appointing judges. Not sticking up for McConnell and the ghouls, but’s facts are facts.

lower courts had the rule changed fpr simple majority leaving scotus nominees to 60. McConnell changed that to include scotus in simple majority when Gorsuch was appointed.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

That's why eliminating the filibuster is the first step.  You only need a simple majority to do that
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

That's why eliminating the filibuster is the first step.  You only need a simple majority to do that

lets just blow it all up and start over. this experiment of ours seemed to not consider just how selfish human beings are.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    I now have finally realized why aliens don’t make contact with the earth.  It isn’t like we are trying to spend time with slugs and rodents.  Humanity is an embarrassment.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,162
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

We are talking about the final say on the law. Harry Reid did not do a thing about that. Mitch McConnell did. To equate a circuit court with the USSC is not reasonable. 
This discussion has been closed.