Donald Trump

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,348
    Woodward's getting criticism for withholding those Trump comments for so long. As he should. He interviewed Trump in late March. And now he comes out with it five months later to promote his book? I guess Woodward didn't want to create a panic.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/woodward-criticized-not-releasing-trump-s-covid-19-comments-sooner-n1239707
    Bob Woodward is the issue?  The journalist?  The author that wants to sell books?  Sorry, that is bullshit and a distraction.  Woodward is not a public health official or elected politician.  Total distraction and deflection.  
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,839
    edited September 2020
    mrussel1 said:
    Woodward's getting criticism for withholding those Trump comments for so long. As he should. He interviewed Trump in late March. And now he comes out with it five months later to promote his book? I guess Woodward didn't want to create a panic.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/woodward-criticized-not-releasing-trump-s-covid-19-comments-sooner-n1239707
    Bob Woodward is the issue?  The journalist?  The author that wants to sell books?  Sorry, that is bullshit and a distraction.  Woodward is not a public health official or elected politician.  Total distraction and deflection.  
    No it's not deflecting at all. What would it deflect or distract from? It's saying that anybody that has the ability to expose any sort of Trump shadiness, especially regarding the dangers of a deadly virus, should do it as soon as possible. Not wait five months when you have the audio. 

To be critical of Woodward (or Mueller, or any of your other "He's going to take down Trump" heroes) doesn't mean you're defending, sticking up for, or deflecting on behalf of Trump. 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    mrussel1 said:

No it's not deflecting at all. What would it deflect or distract from? It's saying that anybody that has the ability to expose any sort of Trump shadiness, especially regarding the dangers of a deadly virus, should do it as soon as possible. Not wait five months when you have the audio. 

To be critical of Woodward (or Mueller, or any of your other "He's going to take down Trump" heroes) doesn't mean you're defending, sticking up for, or deflecting on behalf of Trump. 
    actually, it is a complete deflection to take the position that it was the responsibility of a guy interviewing the president instead of saying it was the responsibility of the president himself. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:

actually, it is a complete deflection to take the position that it was the responsibility of a guy interviewing the president instead of saying it was the responsibility of the president himself. 
    Yes, this is my position.  This is nothing but muddying the issue, creating false equivalency. 
  • mrussel1 said:

No, because I'm not absolving Trump of any responsibility. If anything, I'm asking to hold him accountable (or provide the information that will allow the public to hold him accountable) sooner. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    mrussel1 said:

No, because I'm not absolving Trump of any responsibility. If anything, I'm asking to hold him accountable (or provide the information that will allow the public to hold him accountable) sooner. 
    yes, and you're putting the onus on the interviewer to do so. maybe he was hoping that there was SOMEONE in the administration with a soul that would right the ship?

www.headstonesband.com

• dignindignin Posts: 9,331
    https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1304060630656311296?s=21
    Total panic! The blacks/brown people are coming blacks are coming blacks are coming! 
    So “low-income projects, anarchists, agitators, and looters” are all black and brown people? That’s what you’re saying? Because anyone who’s watched the footage of these riots knows that’s not the case. And obviously it’s not just black/brown people that live in projects. And Trump himself didn't make mention of anybody's color in that tweet. It's like you want him to be more racist than he already is. 
    Oh come on now. This shit is very apparent. Anyone with a simple understanding of the historical context knows exactly what Trump is up to with that kind of language.
  • mrussel1 said:

yes, and you're putting the onus on the interviewer to do so. maybe he was hoping that there was SOMEONE in the administration with a soul that would right the ship?
    That ship has sailed and a guy that has closely covered presidents for decades knows that. This administration isn’t like any of the others, and you should know that. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    so it's up to him. got it. 

www.headstonesband.com

• so it's up to him. got it. 
    It's up to him to do whatever he wants with the information he has. If he wants to present it to the public, or to the congress, or to whoever might benefit from hearing it as soon as possible, he could. If he wants to sit on it for 5 months, and use it to promote a book, he could. He chose the latter. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561
    I am posting some clarity from a follow-up interview that was conducted with Woodward on the timing of this information being released.

From WAPO:

"Two waves of outrage greeted the news on Wednesday of Bob Woodward’s latest White House chronicle, a book titled “Rage.”

The first was Trump’s disclosure to Woodward that he knew as early as February — even as he was dismissing the novel coronavirus publicly — that the looming pandemic was far deadlier than the flu.

The second was that Woodward, long associated with The Washington Post, didn’t reveal this to the public sooner.

The fact that this second outrage mostly circulated among journalists talking to one another made it no less furious: If the famous Watergate reporter knew that Trump was lying to the public about a matter of life and death, why didn’t he reveal it immediately?

Woodward is hardly the first journalist to save juicy information for a book. But “is this traditional practice still ethical?” tweeted David Boardman, dean of the Temple University journalism school and a former longtime editor of the Seattle Times.

Other critics were less circumspect: “This is really troubling. As journalists we’re supposed to work in the public interest. I think there’s been a failure here,” wrote Scott Nover, a reporter for the industry journal Adweek.

In fairness, it wasn’t just journalists raising concerns. A reader wrote to me arguing that Woodward’s revelation “could have been helpful in the spring, both explaining the seriousness of the disease to the public, showing the Trump administration’s bungled and inept response, and pushing the Trump administration to do more.” He added, with a touch of cynicism, that he hoped the author’s advance fee made the delay worthwhile.

The questions are valid — and as Boardman notes, far from new. They surface almost every time a journalist writes a book that contains newsy information, especially about matters of national security or public well-being: Why are we only reading about this now?

As recently as last week, New York Times reporter Michael Schmidt was criticized for withholding some meaty revelations for his book about the investigation into Trump’s ties to Russia and the Robert S. Mueller III investigation. “It is not immediately entirely clear why these reports, many dating back as far as three years, made it into the pages of Schmidt’s book rather than the subscription-based newspaper that employs him,” wrote Roger Sollenberger in Salon.

I took the questions and complaints to Woodward, who initially was reluctant to speak on the record until after a “60 Minutes” segment airs on Sunday because he had promised the publisher and CBS not to give any interviews until then. But because my questions were about process, rather than the content of the book, he agreed to address the ethical issues.

Woodward told me that — contrary to speculation — he did not have any signed agreement or formal embargo arrangement with Trump or the White House to hold back their conversations until the book published.

“I told him it was for the book,” he said — but as far as promising not to publish in real time, or signing such an agreement, “I don’t do that.”

Woodward said his aim was to provide a fuller context than could occur in a news story: “I knew I could tell the second draft of history, and I knew I could tell it before the election.” (Former Washington Post publisher Phil Graham famously called journalism “the first rough draft of history.”)

What’s more, he said, there were at least two problems with what he heard from Trump in February that kept him from putting it in the newspaper at the time:

Cont'd below

It's a hopeless situation...
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,561

First, he didn’t know what the source of Trump’s information was. It wasn’t until months later — in May — that Woodward learned it came from a high-level intelligence briefing in January that was also described in Wednesday’s reporting about the book.

In February, what Trump told Woodward seemed hard to make sense of, the author told me — back then, Woodward said, there was no panic over the virus; even toward the final days of that month, Anthony S. Fauci was publicly assuring Americans there was no need to change their daily habits.

Second, Woodward said, “the biggest problem I had, which is always a problem with Trump, is I didn’t know if it was true.”

Trump spoke with Woodward on more than a dozen occasions, and in some cases, “he started calling me at night.” It took months, Woodward told me, to do the reporting that put it all in context, which is what he believes his mission as an author is: “My job is to understand it, and to hold him accountable, and to hold myself accountable.” He added: “I did the best I could” toward those ends.

But why not then write such a story later in the spring, once it was clear that the virus was extraordinarily destructive and that Trump’s early downplaying had almost certainly cost lives?

Again, Woodward said he believes his highest purpose isn’t to write daily stories but to give his readers the big picture — one that may have a greater effect, especially with a consequential election looming.

Woodward’s effort, he said, was to deliver in book form “the best obtainable version of the truth,” not to rush individual revelations into publication.

And always with a particular deadline in mind, so that people could read, absorb and make their judgments well before Nov. 3. “The demarcation is the election.”

Woodward, despite his longtime association with The Post, is no longer a Post employee, though he maintains an affiliation and the honorific title of associate editor. He’s no longer in the daily journalism business.

The Post, like CNN, received the book galleys only recently, so that it could ready its article based on the book.

I don’t know if putting the book’s newsiest revelations out there in something closer to real time would have made a difference. They might very well have been denied and soon forgotten in the constant rush of new scandals and lies.

Still, the chance — even if it’s a slim chance — that those revelations could have saved lives is a powerful argument against waiting this long.

It's a hopeless situation...
  • so it's up to him. got it. 
    See something, say something....months later once your book is available for purchase! ;)

Look I get your point. I just wish that people who had info and especially audio would share broadly as soon as possible to hopefully shift the protocol and potentially save lives.  In reality with trump I’m not sure it would have mattered anyhow though. 
    hippiemom = goodness
    See something, say something....months later once your book is available for purchase! ;)

Look I get your point. I just wish that people who had info and especially audio would share broadly as soon as possible to hopefully shift the protocol and potentially save lives.  In reality with trump I’m not sure it would have mattered anyhow though. 
    i honestly don't think it would have. the narrative would have been "watergate reporter looking for relevance with new nothingburger". 

www.headstonesband.com

• VitalogensiaVitalogensia Posts: 1,989
    edited September 2020
    This is also classic business-spin.  Trump just has to say something - it doesn't have to be good, or logical, or helpful - just some refutation or spin, and the sycophants will carry water for him.  That's what strength is to them: the action of talking.  I'd be surprised if Woodward's quotes do anything to Trump's polling.  
    Post edited by Vitalogensia on
    Virginia Beach 2000; Pittsburgh 2000; Columbus 2003; D.C. 2003; Pittsburgh 2006; Virginia Beach 2008; Cleveland 2010; PJ20 2011; Pittsburgh 2013; Baltimore 2013; Charlottesville 2013; Charlotte 2013; Lincoln 2014; Moline 2014; St. Paul 2014; Greenville 2016; Hampton 2016; Lexington 2016; Wrigley 2016; Prague 2018; Krakow 2018; Berlin 2018; Fenway 2018; Camden 2022; St. Paul 2023; MSG 1 2024

i honestly don't think it would have. the narrative would have been "watergate reporter looking for relevance with new nothingburger". 
    This... Trump would have just continued to discourage public health advice and his followers would be along for the ride.  No one that isn't a cult member believed Trump on the virus April and beyond.  That's my opinion.  
  • ikiTikiT Posts: 11,052
    BOB is not the issue.  He just taped that shit.

Bristow 05132010 to Amsterdam 2 06132018
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    This is also classic business-spin.  Trump just has to say something - it doesn't have to be good, or logical, or helpful - just some refutation or spin, and the sycophants will carry water for him.  That's what strength is to them: the action of talking.  I'd be surprised if Woodward's quotes do anything to Trump's polling.  
    To the base, which is maybe a third of the country (i.e., not every conservative), it doesn't matter.  They care more about Trump than they do their own health. They've long forgotten why they're so devoted, but nothing can break it. He could "shoot someone on 5th Avenue" and I think any Trumpy friends and family of the victim would still vote for him.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes, this is my position.  This is nothing but muddying the issue, creating false equivalency. 
    Agreed...it's interesting that the tRumpster's are taking this position...like tRump wasn't responsible to say it but Woodward was.  Ridiculous.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,663
    edited September 2020
    He said what he said
    He did what he did
    He didn't say and do what he should have done and said.
    In the long and short run it doesn't matter because his supporters/voters DON'T CARE!!
    He is a lying racist xenophobic piece-of-shit.
    His supporters/voters DON'T CARE!!

He and his advisors as well as his supporters/voters are all complicit in every single Covid-19 related death.

When you support evil that makes you evil as well
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Agreed...it's interesting that the tRumpster's are taking this position...like tRump wasn't responsible to say it but Woodward was.  Ridiculous.
    It's literally the only position available,  no matter how specious or vacuous. Although that seems to be a feature,  not a detriment for them. 
  • DM656970DM656970 Posts: 17
    edited September 2020
    He said what he said
    He did what he did
    In the long and short run it doesn't matter because his supporters/voters DON'T CARE!!

He and his advisors as well as his supporters/voters are all complicit in every single Covid-19 related death.

What has he done specifically that’s racist?

You know who’s more complicit in COVID related deaths? Democratic governors like Andrew Cuomo who sent COVID infected people back to nursing homes. 

Turns out strict lockdowns don’t work. The data shows the places that have handled the virus the worst are the cities and states with the strictest lockdowns

Which cities and states have the most cases and/or deaths? Who runs those cities or states? DEMOCRATS

The president let local leadership lead the way and determine what’s best for their area. Just like he should have done. You can’t throw a blanket over this and say people in NYC should have the same rules as people in Podunk Arkansas. Mostly republican areas have had little to no problems. Mostly democratic areas have been a disaster. 

But then again I don’t need the president to hold my hand and tell me every move to make in my life. 

He downplayed the virus as to not cause mass hysteria. Anybody remember how everyone bought everything at the stores and there was hardly any stock left? Imagine if he created panic? It would have been nuts! 

But y’all would’ve bitched about that too. Just like most democrats called him racist when he banned travel. Then everyone of them went back on that. Also there’s tons of tweets, videos and sound clips of Democrats downplaying the virus themselves
    Post edited by DM656970 on
    DM656970 said:
    He said what he said
    He did what he did

You know who’s more complicit in COVID related deaths? Democratic governors like Andrew Cuomo who sent COVID infected people back to nursing homes. 

Turns out strict lockdowns don’t work. The data shows the places that have handled the virus the worst are the cities and states with the strictest lockdowns

Which cities and states have the most cases and/or deaths? Who runs those cities or states?

The president let local leadership lead the way and determine what’s best for their area. Just like he should have done. You can’t throw a blanket over this and say people in NYC should have the same rules as people in Podunk Arkansas. Mostly republican areas have had little to no problems. Mostly democratic areas have been a disaster. 

But then again I don’t need the president to hold my hand and tell me every move to make in my life. 

He downplayed the virus as to not cause mass hysteria. Anybody remember how everyone bought everything at the stores and there was hardly any stock left? Imagine if he created panic? It would have been nuts! 

But y’all would’ve bitched about that too. Just like most democrats called him racist when he banned travel. Then everyone of them went back on that. Also there’s tons of tweets, videos and sound clips of Democrats downplaying the virus themselves
    Gee dude... have you noticed the states with teh highest death tolls have the largest populations and density?  You don't think...maybe...density has something to do with the spread of a disease?
    And why isn't Trump concerned about panic when yelling about Caravans of immigrants, and Democratic cities burning and everything else he has incited.  
    Face it..  The president lied to you.  Pure and simple.  Maybe you don't think as an adult and citizen that you deserve the truth.  If that's the case, it's pretty pathetic.  
  • mrussel1 said:
    DM656970 said:
    He said what he said
    He did what he did

Which cities and states have the most cases and/or deaths? Who runs those cities or states?

Gee dude... have you noticed the states with teh highest death tolls have the largest populations and density?  You don't think...maybe...density has something to do with the spread of a disease?
    And why isn't Trump concerned about panic when yelling about Caravans of immigrants, and Democratic cities burning and everything else he has incited.  
    Face it..  The president lied to you.  Pure and simple.  Maybe you don't think as an adult and citizen that you deserve the truth.  If that's the case, it's pretty pathetic.  
    Dr Fauci disagrees with you
  • mrussel1 said:
    DM656970 said:
    He said what he said
    He did what he did

Also I’m not talking total deaths. I’m talking deaths per 100,000
  • DM656970 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    DM656970 said:
    He said what he said
    He did what he did

Dr Fauci disagrees with you
    No he doesn't...Fauci called tRump's leadership "rudderless"

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    i wonder how long this one is going to last. 

www.headstonesband.com

• i wonder how long this one is going to last. 
    If he lasts beyond one warning I'll be surprised.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    i wonder how long this one is going to last. 
    Joined in 2018...6 posts....
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Yea that’s it. Stifle any opposing viewpoints. Sorry we aren’t all sheep 
This discussion has been closed.