mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I wonder if our president is taking his own advice:

If American Presidents discussed American atrocities they'd have a lot of 'splainin to do
    What part of Pearl Harbor was an America atrocity?
    If the US President's want to bring up wrongdoing by other countries towards the US, then the line of other countries that have grievances against the US would be very extensive and the atrocities committed by the US towards other countries far outweigh any atrocities committed against the US.  Why is that so hard for you to see.  By the way, WW2 is over.  Japan is a good friend of the west.  Trump is a fucking idiot for bringing up that attack...
    Dissagree but I am definitely not debating this.  I didn’t realize world war 2 was over, thanks for letting me know Capt.  however I am still wondering what part of Pearl Harbor is an American atrocity.  
    The original post that started this conversation was referring to atrocities committed by the US towards other countries. In the case of Japan specifically, some might say dropping 2 nuclear bombs on Japan, were atrocities as well.  I am not going to debate it either.  Because there is nothing to debate...
    I don't think dropping two nuclear bombs was an atrocity, to me it was the way to end the war against an enemy that wouldn't give up.  I definitely think Japan out atrocitied (word? lol) us during World War 2.  Rape of Nanking, treatment of prisoners of war....etc
    You might think differently if it was Japan who had dropped nuclear bombs on two American cities to end the war.

Not to mention the firebombing of Japanese civilians throughout the war. Maybe check out the doc The Fog Of War. 
    Are you trying to imply that Japan was innocent in this?  They started world war 2, what did you want the us to do?
    I know all about the firebombings and how more people were killed in those bombings than in the nuclear bomb droppings.  Even with all those people dying in the firebombings Japan still didn’t surrender.  
    In what way did the Japanese start WW2?

Hitler rushed to get his army ready after he surprisingly heard on the radio about the Pearl Harbour attack? "Hurry up with the jew-hating leaflets" people heard him yell while running into his study to design the swastika. 

Hehe.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,020
    edited May 2019
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

If American Presidents discussed American atrocities they'd have a lot of 'splainin to do
    If the US President's want to bring up wrongdoing by other countries towards the US, then the line of other countries that have grievances against the US would be very extensive and the atrocities committed by the US towards other countries far outweigh any atrocities committed against the US.  Why is that so hard for you to see.  By the way, WW2 is over.  Japan is a good friend of the west.  Trump is a fucking idiot for bringing up that attack...
    Dissagree but I am definitely not debating this.  I didn’t realize world war 2 was over, thanks for letting me know Capt.  however I am still wondering what part of Pearl Harbor is an American atrocity.  
    The original post that started this conversation was referring to atrocities committed by the US towards other countries. In the case of Japan specifically, some might say dropping 2 nuclear bombs on Japan, were atrocities as well.  I am not going to debate it either.  Because there is nothing to debate...
    I don't think dropping two nuclear bombs was an atrocity, to me it was the way to end the war against an enemy that wouldn't give up.  I definitely think Japan out atrocitied (word? lol) us during World War 2.  Rape of Nanking, treatment of prisoners of war....etc
    You might think differently if it was Japan who had dropped nuclear bombs on two American cities to end the war.

Not to mention the firebombing of Japanese civilians throughout the war. Maybe check out the doc The Fog Of War. 
    Are you trying to imply that Japan was innocent in this?  They started world war 2, what did you want the us to do?
    I know all about the firebombings and how more people were killed in those bombings than in the nuclear bomb droppings.  Even with all those people dying in the firebombings Japan still didn’t surrender.  
    What if the Vietnamese who were tired of their uncles being sent to war dropped two nuclear bombs on Boston and New York to end it?
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

What if the Vietnamese who were tired of their uncles being sent to the war dropped two nuclear bombs on Boston and New York to end it?
    That's honestly a silly analogy for so many reasons.  First off, the Japanese were fighting a war of aggression that they started in the entire region.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The dropping of the bomb will always be up for a debate.  When it comes to the dropping of the bomb, I always side with my mother's opinion.

My mother had 2 brothers who were in Europe at the time.   She always said people were tired of war, herself included, and she wanted her brothers home safe...both served multiple years in Europe as most did.  

I think we're on the same page here.  My uncle was an island hopper, grunt marine.  He would have definitely been part of the invasion force.  He told me he would have never come home had he invaded the mainland.  He had already been through Tarawa and Okinawa, among other stops.  
    Yeah my grandfather had just fought the Nazis and was training for the invasion of Japan. No way he was coming home alive. 
    Was your grandfather wounded in those battles?
    My uncle, not grandfather.  My GF was a soldier in the Polish-Ukrainian war.  My uncle George was a marine.  Interestingly, he went missing (or lost I suppose) on an island and was declared dead to his family.  Then he was found and got right back into the action as it moved closer to Japan.  My other uncle was captured at the Battle of the Bulge and spent the rest of the war in a stalag.  
    Wow that's crazy.  My grandfather was also at the Battle of the Bulge, who knows the two of them could have known one another.  
    He was 99th Infantry.  I believe that was a Bragg unit.  They were right on the front lines in Belgium and took the brunt of the offensive.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

What if the Vietnamese who were tired of their uncles being sent to the war dropped two nuclear bombs on Boston and New York to end it?
    That's honestly a silly analogy for so many reasons.  First off, the Japanese were fighting a war of aggression that they started in the entire region.  
    I'd say not stopping a war to stay in office feels kind of aggressive too.
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hitler rushed to get his army ready after he surprisingly heard on the radio about the Pearl Harbour attack? "Hurry up with the jew-hating leaflets" people heard him yell while running into his study to design the swastika. 

Hehe.
    Um, they invaded China in the 1930's and then attacked the US at Pearl Harbor.  A lot of scholars argue that the war started here although the official start of World War 2 was on September 1, 1939 with the German invasion of Poland.  At that point Japan had already killed millions.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So suddenly this about Nixon?  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

So suddenly this about Nixon?  
    That's what she said.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

The dropping of the bomb will always be up for a debate.  When it comes to the dropping of the bomb, I always side with my mother's opinion.

My mother had 2 brothers who were in Europe at the time.   She always said people were tired of war, herself included, and she wanted her brothers home safe...both served multiple years in Europe as most did.  

I think we're on the same page here.  My uncle was an island hopper, grunt marine.  He would have definitely been part of the invasion force.  He told me he would have never come home had he invaded the mainland.  He had already been through Tarawa and Okinawa, among other stops.  
    Yeah my grandfather had just fought the Nazis and was training for the invasion of Japan. No way he was coming home alive. 
    My uncle, not grandfather.  My GF was a soldier in the Polish-Ukrainian war.  My uncle George was a marine.  Interestingly, he went missing (or lost I suppose) on an island and was declared dead to his family.  Then he was found and got right back into the action as it moved closer to Japan.  My other uncle was captured at the Battle of the Bulge and spent the rest of the war in a stalag.  
    Wow that's crazy.  My grandfather was also at the Battle of the Bulge, who knows the two of them could have known one another.  
    He was 99th Infantry.  I believe that was a Bragg unit.  They were right on the front lines in Belgium and took the brunt of the offensive.  
    My grandfather was in Bastogne so he was with the 101st.  I don't know much about what he did since he passed away when I was in second grade.  
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Would you think differently if the enemy had purposefully dropped bombs on your civilian family?

If that doesn't fit the definition of atrocity I don't know what to tell you.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

My grandfather was in Bastogne so he was with the 101st.  I don't know much about what he did since he passed away when I was in second grade.  
    When I was in college, I did a full interview with my Uncle Mike who was in Belgium.  He gave me his whole war story, along with what he knew about George's (the marine) since he had already passed.  So I have that audio recording and the transcript is in the Museum of Florida History.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.
    Um, they invaded China in the 1930's and then attacked the US at Pearl Harbor.  A lot of scholars argue that the war started here although the official start of World War 2 was on September 1, 1939 with the German invasion of Poland.  At that point Japan had already killed millions.  
    Scholars also say, the winning team after WW1 started WW2 by putting Germany in a position where Hitler-labeled nationalism had soil to grow. That was in the 10s.

Check-mate Japan. Now the US started WW2.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.
    Scholars also say, the winning team after WW1 started WW2 by putting Germany in a position where Hitler-labeled nationalism had soil to grow. That was in the 10s.

So you are saying England and France started world war 2? The treaty of Versailles definitely helped hitler gain power but let’s put the responsibility on the guy who invaded countries and killed millions. 

• Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.

Doh...except England and France were the forces behind the Treaty of Versailles, not the Americans.  Wilson wanted the Fourteen Points to be the basis of the treaty.  He was against the War Guilt clause specifically.  Try again.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.

Doh...except England and France were the forces behind the Treaty of Versailles, not the Americans.  Wilson wanted the Fourteen Points to be the basis of the treaty.  He was against the War Guilt clause specifically.  Try again.  
    Great minds think alike. 
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.

Without the punchline "Now the US started WW2.", how would the point of my comment come across as lovingly?

"Check-mate Japan. Now France, and England and a bunch of other countries - including the US - lay a foundation through their peace terms for the possibility of the Germany people to accept authoritarianism which you can see as a thread leading up Germany attacking it's neighbors". 

No need to kill all the fun.

I stand by my comment. Among a bunch of stiffs.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.

Without the punchline "Now the US started WW2.", how would the point of my comment come across as lovingly?

"Check-mate Japan. Now France, and England and a bunch of other countries - including the US - lay a foundation through their peace terms for the possibility of the Germany people to accept authoritarianism which you can see as a thread leading up Germany attacking it's neighbors". 

Haha, blaming the US for starting the worst war in history, one which many of our family members were affected by directly, is a real riot.  I can never get enough of you trashing the US while you are on a US website dedicated to a US band.  It's all so much fun.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.

I blame Sweden for standing idly by....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Would you think differently if the enemy had purposefully dropped bombs on your civilian family?

Do you fully understand what the Japanese did to civilians?  Read up on the Rape of Nanking and Unit 731 and let me know if you think they are still innocent.  
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Do you fully understand what the Japanese did to civilians?  Read up on the Rape of Nanking and Unit 731 and let me know if you think they are still innocent.  
    comfort women in korea?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

comfort women in korea?
    And China.
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

comfort women in korea?
    And China.
    eveywhere they had a presence I suspect.

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Japan somehow got a huge pass in the “pure evil” market that Germany and that Nazis got (deservedly so).  Mainly due to the US bringing them into the fold to stop the spread of communism.  
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    Japan somehow got a huge pass in the “pure evil” market that Germany and that Nazis got (deservedly so).  Mainly due to the US bringing them into the fold to stop the spread of communism.  
    Plus they made kick ass stereo receivers in the 60's and 70's, so that really changed people's attitudes.  Once BMW started the M series, Americans forgot that they hated Germany.  
    Perhaps I'm only speaking for myself.  
  • Options
    Jason P said:
    The Japanese did some real messed up stuff during world war 2 and it often gets overlooked because of the Holocaust. 
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm tired of war. I want my brothers home.
    - How about we just slaughter ~250.000 civilians?

*brothers come home* 

Easy for you to say considering your country was too cowardly to fight one of the evilest empires in world history, let me know when your country has the spine to step up to defeat evil, which will never happen, you could not even commit to war in your backyard...keep sticking to the we are neutral line.  I am absolutely proud that Canada stepped and did its part to bring the Nazi's down...1.1 million Canadians served from a population of 13 million...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I'm tired of war. I want my brothers home.
    - How about we just slaughter ~250.000 civilians?

*brothers come home* 

Easy for you to say considering your country was too cowardly to fight one of the evilest empires in world history, let me know when your country has the spine to step up to defeat evil, which will never happen, you could not even commit to war in your backyard...keep sticking to the we are neutral line.  I am absolutely proud that Canada stepped and did its part to bring the Nazi's down...1.1 million Canadians served from a population of 13 million...
    mmm...I love a good nut shot.  

• Options
    edited May 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.

Haha, blaming the US for starting the worst war in history, one which many of our family members were affected by directly, is a real riot.  I can never get enough of you trashing the US while you are on a US website dedicated to a US band.  It's all so much fun.  
    I guess you see some point in some way of branding the band in this nationalistic thing of yours.

I see them as Pearl Jam. Not the olympic team of musicians from the USA.

I also do not really care what country the server is where this website is being stored. I also do not have problem with a great band being from the US. Or the five of my five favorite movies. Or a copywriter named Bob I worked with once. But I guess you see it in a different way.

Also, I have not blamed the US for starting WW2. You have a problem understanding text and the different uses of it. Subtext. Sarcasm. Witty-ness. Those kind of things. 

Your family members being affected by WW2 concerns me not in the context of my comment. And should not.

all good. Fridens liljor.

:)
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Nice strawman. I never once said the Japanese military were innocent. I know my history thanks.

You said dropping nuclear bombs on Japanese civilians was not an atrocity. You still stand by that? Because that was what we are discussing.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    dignin said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Smellyman said:
    mcgruff10 said:

Hehe.

I guess you see some point in some way of branding the band in this nationalistic thing of yours.

I see them as Pearl Jam. Not the olympic team of musicians from the USA.

I also do not really care what country the server is where this website is being stored. I also do not have problem with a great band being from the US. Or the five of my five favorite movies. Or a copywriter named Bob I worked with once. But I guess you see it in a different way.

Also, I have not blamed the US for starting WW2. You have a problem understanding text and the different uses of it. Subtext. Sarcasm. Witty-ness. Those kind of things. 

Your family members being affected by WW2 concerns me not in the context of my comment. And should not.
    Yep, they're mine.  What's yours is a surrender.  Great job.  Pat your grandparents on the back.  If everyone took Sweden's position, what would Europe look like today?  
This discussion has been closed.