Options

Donald Trump

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,801
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Overblown internet outrage is really an issue, especially the degree to which legitimate news covers it. 

But Tucker Carlson isn't the person to take the stand for. He deserves nobody's defense. There are many better examples in the past few years.
    But... and I think it was French's article that said this, can't recall... we can't just defend people who we agree with politically.  You can's say Kevin Hart is okay because his body of work we like, but this person is a conservative so let's paint him with the brush.  That's where the hypocrisy comes into play.  
    When the right cleans up their own house, I’ll get on board with holding dems/libs accountable. Until then, I’ll laugh at Family Guy episodes  and Pete Davidson skits.

But I’m also starting to see a campaign theme emerge here, we repubs are calling for civility, those evil dems and libs won’t hold their own to account and want to eliminate free speech. Sorry, but the repub faux outrage machine has been in high gear since 1992 with Clinton’s “Come Back Kid” surprise win.
    I think you can hold EVERYONE accountable for their actions/words regardless of political affiliation. 

I simply cannot understand how not ONE of the press corps called Sanders on her "ripping babies from their wombs" comments. All they wanted to know was if Trump thought dems were anti-semites. jesus. 
    You (you in the general sense) can but you can also hold your own accountable and lead by example. If you want others to take the high road, you first must take the high road. But we know the repubs will never do that. Faux News' business model proves that point (read the New Yorker article).
    Then we should hold accountable the people on "our team" so that we can maintain a shred of integrity.  
    I think “our side” is held to a much higher standard and the bulk of the slights or faux outrage fodder is Hollywood or comedic production and not sold in an echo chamber of a threat to our freedoms. If Tucker Carlson won’t apologize or be punished by Faux News, maybe Al Fraken should be re-instated?

No, disagree.  I don't know if Al should have ever resigned or not.  But he did.  The fact that Carlson won't apologize is not a reason to reinstate Al.  Right is right.  Right is not relative.  Moral relativism based on political party affiliation is part of why we are in such a shitty place today.  Perpetuating or defending it is not the solution.  
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,087
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:
    Overblown internet outrage is really an issue, especially the degree to which legitimate news covers it. 

But Tucker Carlson isn't the person to take the stand for. He deserves nobody's defense. There are many better examples in the past few years.
    But... and I think it was French's article that said this, can't recall... we can't just defend people who we agree with politically.  You can's say Kevin Hart is okay because his body of work we like, but this person is a conservative so let's paint him with the brush.  That's where the hypocrisy comes into play.  
    When the right cleans up their own house, I’ll get on board with holding dems/libs accountable. Until then, I’ll laugh at Family Guy episodes  and Pete Davidson skits.

But I’m also starting to see a campaign theme emerge here, we repubs are calling for civility, those evil dems and libs won’t hold their own to account and want to eliminate free speech. Sorry, but the repub faux outrage machine has been in high gear since 1992 with Clinton’s “Come Back Kid” surprise win.
    I think you can hold EVERYONE accountable for their actions/words regardless of political affiliation. 

I simply cannot understand how not ONE of the press corps called Sanders on her "ripping babies from their wombs" comments. All they wanted to know was if Trump thought dems were anti-semites. jesus. 
    You (you in the general sense) can but you can also hold your own accountable and lead by example. If you want others to take the high road, you first must take the high road. But we know the repubs will never do that. Faux News' business model proves that point (read the New Yorker article).
    Then we should hold accountable the people on "our team" so that we can maintain a shred of integrity.  
    I think “our side” is held to a much higher standard and the bulk of the slights or faux outrage fodder is Hollywood or comedic production and not sold in an echo chamber of a threat to our freedoms. If Tucker Carlson won’t apologize or be punished by Faux News, maybe Al Fraken should be re-instated?

No, disagree.  I don't know if Al should have ever resigned or not.  But he did.  The fact that Carlson won't apologize is not a reason to reinstate Al.  Right is right.  Right is not relative.  Moral relativism based on political party affiliation is part of why we are in such a shitty place today.  Perpetuating or defending it is not the solution.  
    agreed
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,972
    edited March 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Well, let me know when the repubs and conservatives’ house is at least as “clean” as ours. Both sides are not the same. And it begins with the head of their party and his administration.

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Well, let me know when the repubs and conservatives’ house is at least as “clean” as ours. Both sides are not the same. And it begins with the head of their party and his administration.

whether both sides are the same or not is irrelevant. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

I disagree.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,304
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Do you worry about an untidy room when your house is on fire? I think that's the point being made.
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    edited March 2019
    dignin said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dignin said:

Do you worry about an untidy room when your house is on fire? I think that's the point being made.
    I don't think  we have ever been bombarded with so much crap at such a rapid pace at any point in history. I understand the reasoning for not having an outrage culture but I'll take outrage over the intended numbing us all to normal reaction to crazy shit. 

And the bulk of that bombardment is coming from the Republican administration. So I cannot take seriously any outrage by Republicans for statements or actions made by individual Democrats. There is no comparison to the horrible stuff that is constantly being spewed. 

This is not normal. This is extremely unhealthy to people and to our country and our (hopefully) allies. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    You've been fortunate to have triplets. One kid has a totally trashed room, one kid has a neat but slightly messy room and one kid is a germaphobe and tidiness freak. As a parent you'd like two of your kids to have rooms like the germ freak, however, you'll settle for neat and slightly messy room for all three. The kid with the trashed room is telling the slightly messy room kid to clean it up and be like the germaphobe kid. As a parent, what do you do or say to the trashed room kid?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,844
    You've been fortunate to have triplets. One kid has a totally trashed room, one kid has a neat but slightly messy room and one kid is a germaphobe and tidiness freak. As a parent you'd like two of your kids to have rooms like the germ freak, however, you'll settle for neat and slightly messy room for all three. The kid with the trashed room is telling the slightly messy room kid to clean it up and be like the germaphobe kid. As a parent, what do you do or say to the trashed room kid?
    I don’t want my kid(s) to be germaphobe neat freaks. 

I don’t actually want triplets, either. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    The core problem is that we perpetuate the concept that there is team D and team R, instead of team American Citizen.  I don't have a problem with French's article because he has been consistent with his criticism of the culture.  We protect ours and look for any advantage against theirs.  
  • Options
    the same thing I would tell each kid: worry about your own room, and clean it to my expectations. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,749
    edited March 2019
    The trashed room kid wouldn't be allowed to leave said room until it was cleaned up reasonably. 
    I would also probably consider sending the germaphobe to therapy in an attempt to nip that problem in the bud.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    The core problem is that we perpetuate the concept that there is team D and team R, instead of team American Citizen.  I don't have a problem with French's article because he has been consistent with his criticism of the culture.  We protect ours and look for any advantage against theirs.  
    French should focus his criticism on his fellow repubs and conservatives before expanding his audience. Like I’ve said, the faux outrage machine was fired up in 1992, not by dems, and has been taken into overdrive. Just look no further than the CPAC shit show. Now compare that to dems at SXSW. “We’re all” not the problem.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    the same thing I would tell each kid: worry about your own room, and clean it to my expectations. 
    So French should worry about his “own.”

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    French should focus his criticism on his fellow repubs and conservatives before expanding his audience. Like I’ve said, the faux outrage machine was fired up in 1992, not by dems, and has been taken into overdrive. Just look no further than the CPAC shit show. Now compare that to dems at SXSW. “We’re all” not the problem.
    Then you're part of the problem.  I don't mean for you take offense, but that attitude is dividing our country.  
  • Options
    And it is willfully ignoring the countless articles French has written lambasting Trump and the corruption of the Republican party.  
  • Options
    So French should worry about his “own.”
    well, I think your analogy is flawed. in my opinion, as mrussell stated, we should all act as a collective, not as separate team. acting as opposing teams isn't working. looking down our noses at another group, saying "well I'll start improving when they get to my level" achieves nothing, especially when each group believes they are above the other. it isn't going to improve said group (ever told a person in a rage to calm down?). set common goals and strive to achieve them as a collective at the same time as setting individual goals to set an example. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Then you're part of the problem.  I don't mean for you take offense, but that attitude is dividing our country.  
    agreed. I have stated it several times in the past, it is a very divisive attitude. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Show me the repub or conservative equivalence of the below. From 2011.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHInWqhX2Q

I’m happy to be part of the problem as it relates to the other side. Their talking heads preach to the choir while they refuse to hold theirs to any semblance of accountability. The last one to do it was John McCain when he took the microphone away from that lady. Show me the dem equivalent. But you can’t because in the larger, dem picture, we don’t do shit like that. Or purposely spread falsehoods and BS, demonizing the other side, day after day after day. Abortion providers, black church goers and Jews at temple have been murdered because of it and yet, still, they ratchet up the rhetoric to inflame and provoke their base. They need to check it and be the change they want to see. Until then, fuck ‘em.

No offense taken.

I’d love to see some mainstream MSNBC or CNN libs or dems rant and rave like those Faux News or Team Trump Treason Administration officials. Maybe our conservative posters can post some links?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    You are completely missing the point, or just don't want to acknowledge it.  No one is saying the Dems are as 'bad' as Republicans in this sense.  But there are humans on both sides of the aisle that are terrible, terrible people.  If you want me to name some on the liberal side, it would be pretty easy.  Plus, liberal groups have picked up on the right wing strategy of publishing lies on memes and on facebook.  Just last week there was the fake Trump report card.  It got outed pretty quickly, but it's the same bullshit that right wingers post.  We all laugh about it, but I guarantee there are lots of people who believe it to be true. 
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,590
    As I see it the Dems wave the flag of hate against Republicans,  progressives, conservatives,  people who espouse  rhetoric of fear and hate. Etc etc

Republicans wave the flag of hate against...
    Dems
    Libs
    Progressives
    Women
    Handicapped people 
    LGBTQ people
    Climate change acceptors
    Pro-lifers
    Asian people 
    Black people 
    Hispanic people
    People who support stricter gun laws
    Educated people
    Etc etc

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    You are completely missing the point, or just don't want to acknowledge it.  No one is saying the Dems are as 'bad' as Republicans in this sense.  But there are humans on both sides of the aisle that are terrible, terrible people.  If you want me to name some on the liberal side, it would be pretty easy.  Plus, liberal groups have picked up on the right wing strategy of publishing lies on memes and on facebook.  Just last week there was the fake Trump report card.  It got outed pretty quickly, but it's the same bullshit that right wingers post.  We all laugh about it, but I guarantee there are lots of people who believe it to be true. 
    Yes, please name the terrible, terrible people on the “liberal side.” And how do you know that the false report card was posted by “liberal groups?” I suggest you read the intelligence report regarding troll farms and sowing seeds of discord. The difference I see is that we hold our side more accountable and when I say our side, I’m referring to the dem Establishment. We shout ours down and are more critical of our leadership, less likely to walk in lockstep, to issue retractions and god forbid, apologize. And when we do, we’re painted as weak, feminine, etc., etc. Maybe you don’t see that?

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    You all seem to just be explaining why there are wars. In a fantasy utopia everyone would get along, be able to settle profound differences to eliminate corruption and greed and evil and ignorance, etc etc etc, and there wouldn't be such massive divisions. Unfortunately, we live in reality. If any of you guys actually have that much faith in humanity .... I've got a bridge to sell.

Post edited by PJ_Soul on
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    who is talking about a fantasy utopia where everyone gets along? the only point being made is that you simply can't explain away bad behavior because "the other guys do worse things". 

if my kid 1 comes home with a report card with a D on it, and I sit down to have a chat with her, and she says "talk to me when kid 2 stops getting F's", H2M is essentially saying I should accept that explanation and give kid 2 shit again. 

we can expect better from "our team" regardless how the "other team" conducts themselves. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2019
    who is talking about a fantasy utopia where everyone gets along? the only point being made is that you simply can't explain away bad behavior because "the other guys do worse things". 

if my kid 1 comes home with a report card with a D on it, and I sit down to have a chat with her, and she says "talk to me when kid 2 stops getting F's", H2M is essentially saying I should accept that explanation and give kid 2 shit again. 

we can expect better from "our team" regardless how the "other team" conducts themselves. 
    I'm talking about a fantasy utopia... :confused: I'm simply saying that these suggestions about bridging the divide, and the accusations of someone "picking sides" against the right being part of the problem, are IMO ignoring what's impossible in the current reality. I get where Halifax is coming from when he says he's "happy to be a part of the problem". I think he is choosing the only realistic option that will make anything happen. The other option is what you guys are doing, which I totally get as well, and know is very well intentioned, but I think will ultimately just end up being equivalent to chasing tails. The vague suggestions of what he should be doing otherwise seem really unrealistic and useless to me. The only realistic part, maybe, is that one side might actually manage to meaningfully decrease the negatives within itself. But the two sides are never going to come closer together at this point until one side is basically beaten into submission by the other and future generations don't learn it from their parents and the media. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    Yes, please name the terrible, terrible people on the “liberal side.” And how do you know that the false report card was posted by “liberal groups?” I suggest you read the intelligence report regarding troll farms and sowing seeds of discord. The difference I see is that we hold our side more accountable and when I say our side, I’m referring to the dem Establishment. We shout ours down and are more critical of our leadership, less likely to walk in lockstep, to issue retractions and god forbid, apologize. And when we do, we’re painted as weak, feminine, etc., etc. Maybe you don’t see that?
    Harvey Weinstein, Justin Smollett, Kevin Spacey, Gov. Northam, Lt Gov, Justin Fairfax, Ilhan Omar, Bob Menendez, Keith Ellison...

Now you're going to name a bunch of right wingers, but that's not the point.  Of course you can.  And yes, I know the troll farms hit both sides, but our side is taken by them too.  People forward that bullshit on to me, and it's as easy to pick apart as the right wing bs.  It's teh same damn thing.  
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,154

Hahahaha I love that analogy!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    You all seem to just be explaining why there are wars. In a fantasy utopia everyone would get along, be able to settle profound differences to eliminate corruption and greed and evil and ignorance, etc etc etc, and there wouldn't be such massive divisions. Unfortunately, we live in reality. If any of you guys actually have that much faith in humanity .... I've got a bridge to sell.

Wars are about religion and wealth, not disagreements like this.  It's why the much maligned "globalists' are responsible for the 70 years of inter-continental peace, probably the longest in 500 years.  It's because we created shared prosperity.  Losing that is the most dangerous part of this neo-nationalism, in my mind.  But that's a different argument, and also why I gladly call myself a globalist.  
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:

I'm talking about a fantasy utopia... :confused: I'm simply saying that these suggestions about bridging the divide, and the accusations of someone "picking sides" against the right being part of the problem, are IMO ignoring what's impossible in the current reality. I get where Halifax is coming from when he says he's "happy to be a part of the problem". I think he is choosing the only realistic option that will make anything happen. The other option is what you guys are doing, which I totally get as well, and know is very well intentioned, but I think will ultimately just end up being equivalent to chasing tails. The vague suggestions of what he should be doing otherwise seem really unrealistic and useless to me. The only realistic part, maybe, is that one side might actually manage to meaningfully decrease the negatives within itself. But the two sides are never going to come closer together at this point until one side is basically beaten into submission by the other and future generations don't learn it from their parents and the media. 
    You can't cede the moral high ground.  It's the way to win elections, which is about the moderates and the turnout.  It's not about convincing Tucker Carlson that he's wrong, it's about making Tucker Carlson look like a lunatic to the people that don't obsess over politics daily.  
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    Harvey Weinstein, Justin Smollett, Kevin Spacey, Gov. Northam, Lt Gov, Justin Fairfax, Ilhan Omar, Bob Menendez, Keith Ellison...

Now you're going to name a bunch of right wingers, but that's not the point.  Of course you can.  And yes, I know the troll farms hit both sides, but our side is taken by them too.  People forward that bullshit on to me, and it's as easy to pick apart as the right wing bs.  It's teh same damn thing.  
    Of those 8 names you listed, which ones were continued to be supported by the dem political and media establishment and were endorsed to keep on keeping on by the dems who hold sway?

I’ll just give you two right wingers: Sheriff Joe, pardoned; Roy Moore, endorsed in 2016 and being discussed as a serious 2020 candidate. The libs, all suffered some consequences from within their party.

I never said dems or libs aren’t swayed by troll farm memes or don’t spread it, 2016 election and Bernie bros prove that. My argument remains, dems and libs disarm and the repubs and conservatives run roughshod over us. Think about it, the repubs refused to attend the Obama’s WH Christmas party. You can’t point to dems ever being that fucking petty and toxic. And it’s all done to rally and fire up their racist, misogynistic, fearful base. They need to look inward before they preach to the rest of us.

Brilliantati©
This discussion has been closed.