Options

Springsteen at Australia Concert: 'We Stand Before You Embarrassed Americans'

Comments

• Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    mrussel1 said:
    I loved reading this thread! Buck, you rock- fuck Bruce, his music is a dumpster fire and no one cares what he says.

And by the way you shoot like me, you put too much finger on the trigger.  Lay off a bit and exhale before each shot.
    Expect that his last tour in 14 was the highest grossing tour in the world that year... but sure no one cares.  
    Only thing I expect is for him to keep making boring music for old people 
    Hahahaha I agree
    Neither of you have ever been to a Springsteen concert and looked at the crowd I'm guessing.

Bruce Springsteen is 69 years old and has been making albums since 1973. Pearl Jam grew up listening to Bruce Springsteen, along with other artists of the 60's, 70's and 80's.  The Who had their Farewell Tour in 1982 for god's sake. They have covered many of Springsteen's songs and hold him in high regard. Springsteen's songs speak to people and fans feel like he is speaking to their experiences. The same is found in the music and fans of Pearl Jam. 

The members of Pearl Jam range in age from 52-65. If you want to exclude Boom, then they range from 52 to 56.  They are not middle-aged men making music for middle aged fans, they are a band making music and they have fans. Fans of Pearl Jam range in age from kids to seniors. They were all close to 30 years old when they formed in 1992. Matt was 30, though not in the band, so since Kruzen is 52, close to 30. 

As far as their music being boring, then why are we all here??

You don't have to like Springsteen, but he & the E Street Band have a vast following; far larger than Pearl Jam's fan base. And Pearl Jam has a large following. There are people who don't even realize that they are still together. Most people know that Springsteen is actively touring and putting out albums. You don't have to like him, you don't have to like any musician, but as a person who is a fan of music in and of itself, I'd think there'd be a respect for his longevity, catalog and energetic and long concert performances. He tours more than Pearl Jam does and sells out everywhere. So even if you don't like him, it is not reasonable to say that no one cares about his music. The facts of his popularity just don't substantiate that claim. 

I really dislike when people label other people as old or young. The same as I dislike generalized statements of race or sex. 

I was watching a documentary of a band that started when they were in 8th grade after they saw Pearl Jam Unplugged. They are still together constantly touring 22 years later. They are 38/39 years old. They liked Pearl Jam from Day 1. There are fans that were kids, teens, 20's, 30's, 40's, etc when Pearl Jam formed, so 26 years later the band is making music for their fans, who are of all ages. There are people of all ages who are just discovering Pearl Jam now. Pearl Jam fans are not a monolith and run the gamut of age, sex, political leanings, sexuality, etc.  Labels are not needed. That is what is argued when it comes to politics and it should hold for other areas of a person's identity.

Bruce and Pearl Jam are very much alike. The fans of both bands are very much alike. It is a demographic and musical fact. There is much cross fandom. Both bands are great and I find no reason to disparage either. I am not a fan of Beyonce but I respect her for the empowerment that she gives to minority women and girls & her fandom is vast.

I wouldn't throw any music on a trash heap because there is someone who is listening that is getting joy from it. Possibly having their life saved by a particular lyric. EV is a fantastic lyricist and so is Bruce Springsteen. You may not like the music but I think there are certain artists/bands that should be respected for the art they have created and that will live on for generations. YMMV and I'm sure it will. 
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    And yes, lever action is great.  A .30-30 is really a great hunting rifle, although I abhor hunting to be honest.  
    I think a Winchester or marlin .30-30 is my next rifle. Such a sweet gun. 
    Focus on Metroid Prime 4 releasing on the Switch next year instead.
    There are other places to discuss guns. A discussion of why Bruce Springsteen is an embarrassed American n the age of Trump isn't really a great place to be glorifying guns. 
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,883
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I loved reading this thread! Buck, you rock- fuck Bruce, his music is a dumpster fire and no one cares what he says.

And by the way you shoot like me, you put too much finger on the trigger.  Lay off a bit and exhale before each shot.
    Expect that his last tour in 14 was the highest grossing tour in the world that year... but sure no one cares.  

Yah he's a far far cry from Hank Williams Jr hey?

Great to hear you give Bucktooth some shootin' shit lessons! Yee Haw!
    Who is the better shot: buck or roles? I could see Mrussel rocking the ancient flintlock at a range and picking off a fly at 300 yards lol. 
    I'm a decent shot, but not like that.  I'd use my 30-30 marlin.
    I need a lever action!  They hold 7 or 8 shots?  I only fired a lever action once and it was bad ass.  The John Wayne in me definitely appeared lol

I have a Henry 45lc lever action golden boy- love it.  Actually have t been to the range in prob a year though, I tend to only go these days when a friend visits from NY or Boston and wants to shoot.  It’s a super fun gun though, makes you feel like Jon Wayne 

Pew pew pew!!!

(teeny little mushroom stirs and rises to its full 3 inches)
    Sorry to hear you are only packing three inches bud. 

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Who is the better shot: buck or roles? I could see Mrussel rocking the ancient flintlock at a range and picking off a fly at 300 yards lol. 
    I need a lever action!  They hold 7 or 8 shots?  I only fired a lever action once and it was bad ass.  The John Wayne in me definitely appeared lol

I have a Henry 45lc lever action golden boy- love it.  Actually have t been to the range in prob a year though, I tend to only go these days when a friend visits from NY or Boston and wants to shoot.  It’s a super fun gun though, makes you feel like Jon Wayne 

Pew pew pew!!!

Feeling like John Wayne is a bit silly and not a great reason to own a weapon.  I'm not saying that's your reason,  but there are plenty of people for whom that is true. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Pew pew pew!!!

Feeling like John Wayne is a bit silly and not a great reason to own a weapon.  I'm not saying that's your reason,  but there are plenty of people for whom that is true. 
    Oh Christ it was a joke   Lighten up Francis. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Pew pew pew!!!

You call me Francis... I'll kill you.
    "My brain's a good brain!"
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Pew pew pew!!!

Still one of my favorite movies of all time!!
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Pew pew pew!!!

Still one of my favorite movies of all time!!

So stupid lol
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Pew pew pew!!!

Hey two of you said it. 
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Beef with John Wayne? Fucking commie
  • Options
    my2hands said:
    I'll start smoking reds in his honor. 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Hahahaha I agree
    Neither of you have ever been to a Springsteen concert and looked at the crowd I'm guessing.

Bruce Springsteen is 69 years old and has been making albums since 1973. Pearl Jam grew up listening to Bruce Springsteen, along with other artists of the 60's, 70's and 80's.  The Who had their Farewell Tour in 1982 for god's sake. They have covered many of Springsteen's songs and hold him in high regard. Springsteen's songs speak to people and fans feel like he is speaking to their experiences. The same is found in the music and fans of Pearl Jam. 

The members of Pearl Jam range in age from 52-65. If you want to exclude Boom, then they range from 52 to 56.  They are not middle-aged men making music for middle aged fans, they are a band making music and they have fans. Fans of Pearl Jam range in age from kids to seniors. They were all close to 30 years old when they formed in 1992. Matt was 30, though not in the band, so since Kruzen is 52, close to 30. 

You don't have to like Springsteen, but he & the E Street Band have a vast following; far larger than Pearl Jam's fan base. And Pearl Jam has a large following. There are people who don't even realize that they are still together. Most people know that Springsteen is actively touring and putting out albums. You don't have to like him, you don't have to like any musician, but as a person who is a fan of music in and of itself, I'd think there'd be a respect for his longevity, catalog and energetic and long concert performances. He tours more than Pearl Jam does and sells out everywhere. So even if you don't like him, it is not reasonable to say that no one cares about his music. The facts of his popularity just don't substantiate that claim. 

I really dislike when people label other people as old or young. The same as I dislike generalized statements of race or sex. 

I was watching a documentary of a band that started when they were in 8th grade after they saw Pearl Jam Unplugged. They are still together constantly touring 22 years later. They are 38/39 years old. They liked Pearl Jam from Day 1. There are fans that were kids, teens, 20's, 30's, 40's, etc when Pearl Jam formed, so 26 years later the band is making music for their fans, who are of all ages. There are people of all ages who are just discovering Pearl Jam now. Pearl Jam fans are not a monolith and run the gamut of age, sex, political leanings, sexuality, etc.  Labels are not needed. That is what is argued when it comes to politics and it should hold for other areas of a person's identity.

Bruce and Pearl Jam are very much alike. The fans of both bands are very much alike. It is a demographic and musical fact. There is much cross fandom. Both bands are great and I find no reason to disparage either. I am not a fan of Beyonce but I respect her for the empowerment that she gives to minority women and girls & her fandom is vast.

I wouldn't throw any music on a trash heap because there is someone who is listening that is getting joy from it. Possibly having their life saved by a particular lyric. EV is a fantastic lyricist and so is Bruce Springsteen. You may not like the music but I think there are certain artists/bands that should be respected for the art they have created and that will live on for generations. YMMV and I'm sure it will. 
    Oh another thing about Springsteen that sucks...long-winded wordy fan girls!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    Feeling like John Wayne is a bit silly and not a great reason to start smoking. I’m not saying that is your reason, but there are plenty of people for whom that is true. ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Hahahaha I agree

Unnecessary and nasty. I won't take time to address actual thread topics. Gun talk fun, have at it. (Was that too many words?)
    Post edited by njnancy on
  • Options
    njnancy said:
    njnancy said:
    mrussel1 said:

Hahahaha I agree

Unnecessary and nasty. I won't take time to address actual thread topics. Gun talk fun, have at it. (Was that too many words?)
    I was kidding ;). Again throughout this thread it’s been mentioned a lot. I don’t like Bruce, don’t care what others like.  
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Why so serious? 

Jesus 
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    As comedians go, you guys would make good undertakers. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Cause we are working with the dead here
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    Cause we are working with the dead here
    You do rather have that effect. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    Feeling like John Wayne is a bit silly and not a great reason to start smoking. I’m not saying that is your reason, but there are plenty of people for whom that is true. ;)
    Someone also bought me a new ashtray,  so I feel bad not using it. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    You should just start smoking. Automobiles kill more people per annum than cigarettes. Just do it!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    You should just start smoking. Automobiles kill more people per annum than cigarettes. Just do it!
    Don't talk about it,  be about it!
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    my2hands said:
    Crazy true story, I have never smoked a cigarette.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    my2hands said:
    He was a big poser.  Whimpy draft-dodging Hollywood type that stole his entire schtick from a war hero!
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    He was a big poser.  Whimpy draft-dodging Hollywood type that stole his entire schtick from a war hero!
    From what I have read he is definitely not a draft dodger. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    rgambs said:
    my2hands said:
    From what I have read he is definitely not a draft dodger. 
    Well he didn't go to Canada like Stallone, but he did receive a deferment because he had children.  He would have been early 30's at the start of the war.  
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Says the Pearl Jam fan... ironic. 
    I don’t think Bruce and pj are similar types of music at all
    I think the point was that if you ask most people under the age of 30, they would expect the same thing from Pearl Jam: boring music for old people, lol. ;)
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,008
    edited November 2018
    The problem with Pearl Jam is that I can put on Riot Act and see my mom dig Can't Keep but then Save You kicks in and she's like "why did you change the music?" 

Bruce has a smaller spectrum of sound - if you like his one song his next song won't differ that much in genre. Even an outlier like... Tunnel of Love(?) sounds like Bruce.

Pearl Jam, good or bad, is like Neil Young very scattered. Neil usually keeps the scattering between albums though. Pearl Jam has had their influences running wild, since Ten which I guess was Stones idea for the sound of his new band.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    The problem with Pearl Jam is that I can put on Riot Act and see my mom dig Can't Keep but then Save You kicks in and she's like "why did you change the music?" 

Bruce has a smaller spectrum of sound - if you like his one song his next song won't differ that much in genre. Even an outlier like... Tunnel of Love(?) sounds like Bruce.

Pearl Jam, good or bad, is like Neil Young very scattered. Neil usually keeps the scattering between albums though. Pearl Jam has had their influences running wild, since Ten which I guess was Stones idea for the sound of his new band.
    Great points.  Neil and Bruce keep a theme throughout,  whether the River,  Harvest,  Nebraska,  etc. PJ is definitely all over the place.  Completely agree. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833

you've just articulated why i don't like bruce. it all kind of sounds the same to me. I like the highs and lows of a PJ record. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com